Passenger FULL of full of water!! [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Passenger FULL of full of water!!

vnamvet
06-07-2009, 06:38 AM
I heard a "sloshing" sound coming from the right rear footwell, inside the cabin. I took a look and found an inch of water in it!

I immediately checked the other footwells and found them dry.

I took the vehicle in after making an appointment. They kept the vehicle for three days (Tues- Thurs). They stated that the A/C evaporator was not sealed "properly" and that even thought we had not used the A/C for two weeks, that water comes in through the cowl (where air comes in, in front of the windshield, outside the car) and could be making the leak inside the cabin.

The told me they re-sealed the evaporator, (I had water spots all over the INSIDE of the windshield when I picked the car up!!??)

It has now been two weeks and the problem has returned in spades. The front passenger footwell is wet and the rear passenger footwell is FULL of water once again. It smells too.

What can I do? Where is the water coming from? I have NOT been through any standing water, floods etc.

One more item..........they asked me (when I made the appointment) if I had purchased the vehicle from their dealership (I did not). The dealership where I purchased the vehicle has closed its doors and is no longer in business.

Red Ryder
06-07-2009, 04:34 PM
check your door seals and under the car for the lack of sealant that is used to seal seams.

The big Ones would be the windshield seal and sun roof.

To check if it has a leak, with the interior cabin fan running on it's highest setting, the fresh air button on, all doors and windows closed, take a glass of water mixed with dish soap and pour on and around the exterior window seal. If it's has a leak it will bubble in that location.

hope that helps you, good luck.

KURLY
06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
What Red Ryder said and you could have someone run water from the garden hose over the windshield and doors on the right side of the car while you are inside the car to find the leak.

bballr4567
06-07-2009, 09:50 PM
You need to check your AC drain. You know when you have the car runing you will always see the water dripping. You need to find where it drains and see if its not blocked. If it is it can cause the water to go into the cabin.

redhorse
06-08-2009, 06:19 AM
You need to check your AC drain. You know when you have the car runing you will always see the water dripping. You need to find where it drains and see if its not blocked. If it is it can cause the water to go into the cabin.

Ditto this. I had a car with this very problem and the water would often take awhile to permeate up through the carpet. Although I never had big puddles of water like you are getting, I'd sure check it just to be sure.

vnamvet
08-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Ditto this. I had a car with this very problem and the water would often take awhile to permeate up through the carpet. Although I never had big puddles of water like you are getting, I'd sure check it just to be sure.

UPDATE: 01 Aug 09:

Car is at dealer for the 4th time for the same issue on Monday...........

Snow White LS
08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
I was wearing flip flops today while driving and felt a droplets of water fall on the toes of my left foot. I'm hoping its just some condensation from the vents and not anything like I've read here. I can't take anymore bad news from this car!

OMalibu09
08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I was wearing flip flops today while driving and felt a droplets of water fall on the toes of my left foot. I'm hoping its just some condensation from the vents and not anything like I've read here. I can't take anymore bad news from this car!

One time after a heavy rain, water dripped on my left foot, just when I released the parking brake, this was the only time this happened, and I was parked at a slight downward slope.

giwilliamgilbrit1s
08-11-2009, 04:23 PM
wow Im having the same problem with my 08. puddle of water in the right rear floor board. the car is begining to stink! going to the dealer tomorrow

giwilliamgilbrit1s
08-14-2009, 10:55 PM
did you ever get it fixed

vnamvet
08-16-2009, 06:30 AM
did you ever get it fixed

...............this is the 4th time in for the same issue, as you are probably aware. The dealer still thinks it is the "vent" hose which allows the water from the A/C to drip to the ground. They refashioned this line, to insure that this will not happen.

The flooding of the interior routinely takes 2 -3 weeks to come back, filling the frone and rear passenger footwells with water just above the carpet.

We are checking daily, but so far, so good. Besides it's not enough time as the vehicle has sat for a week while we were on vacation. It needs to be driven with the A/C on.

We are hoping the carpet does not mold and start to smell.

Red LTZ
08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Did you guys get your leaks fixed??? If so what was the cause????

vnamvet
08-18-2009, 04:06 AM
...see post above yours..........

Red LTZ
08-18-2009, 03:34 PM
So they're still working on it, well keep us updated.

Lee
08-18-2009, 08:39 PM
We are hoping the carpet does not mold and start to smell.

I had a S-10 pickup that leaked while still in warranty. The dealer said it would be hard to fully dry out the floor insulation, so once they were sure the leak was fixed, replaced all the floor insulation and carpet. This was done under warranty

pwinskey
08-27-2009, 10:54 AM
My 2008 Malibu is having the same problems. The dealer put it on the rain rack and insisted that there was a leak somewhere even though my husband told him that it was the AC. We are to take it back to the dealer and they are taking the carpet and padding out to "find" it and then replace the carpet and padding with new.
I am not happy about this in the least because when they put it all back together what I worry about is rattles and squeaks as well as what they could possibly screw up during the process.

pdowling1
08-28-2009, 03:41 PM
My 08 has/had the same wet floor issue. It looks like it was the AC drain water running back along the outside of the drain hose & back into the cabin area. You wouldn't believe how much water can hide under your carpet. GALLONS of water was hidden in the padding & spaces under the carpet. From what I saw, this may be a problem with the new Malibu design. Today my dealer extended the hose out & down so it can't run back into the cabin. Hopefully the issue is resolved. I'll post back to confirm. Now to dry out that carpet.....

pdowling1
09-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Have your dealer check the inside of the firewall, under the padding, with AC running. Water will be running down to the floor. This looks like it could be a design issue. Water runs back along the OUTSIDE of the drain hose and into the cabin area. The carpet has a waterproof backing, so you don't notice the problem until the water gets about 2" deep, and it will NEVER dry if it isn't removed from the car. Mine took 4 days in dry sunshine to dry out. See my earlier post, it is fixed. Everyone should check the padding UNDER the carpet on the passenger side. I suspect many, if not all will have the same problem. Get this taken care of before 36K, they made me pay!

Jebus05
09-12-2009, 08:26 PM
I wonder if this is an 08 only problem or if it effects the 09's as well I run my AC all the time and have looked for this problem but luckily don't have it water is coming out from underneath the car like normal... Good luck to you all with the problem...

ElantraMax
09-13-2009, 03:07 AM
The only moisture problem I have with my 08 is, The Windshield fogging. Here in NJ we've had an insane amount of rain. I'll be driving along. Switch set to Dash/Floor on low speed. Then the windshield starts fogging. Always in the same spot. Sometimes in the morning I'll find the winshield fooged before I get in. Starting to wonder if I have a water leak????

ElantraMax
12-30-2009, 05:12 PM
Hi, I am taking my 08 in for the windshield fogging. Is there a TSB for the AC Drain I should mention?
Thanks

Red LTZ
12-30-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes, the problems may be related. If you have water in your floor pan it evaporates and then condensates on the relatively cold windshield (especially when you turn the vents to blow on the floor).

Gurudel
12-31-2009, 05:58 AM
if your car is in for the 4th time for the same issue I would contact GM. Here is California we have the Lemon law that states the dealer has 3 shots to fix a problem then they must take the car back.

ElantraMax
01-01-2010, 05:57 AM
1st time I had a chance to bring it in. Dealer cleaned the AC drain. But advised me that if it continues, To drop it off for a water leak check. Yesterday it rained most of the day. After work the windshield wasnt fogged up. On Sun it was so bad that the defogger was ineffective. Ended up driving home wity the windows open.

snugasbug
01-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Hi I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu Maxx, I live in LA and as you may know it has poured here for the last 4 days. Starting on day one when I had a bought of heavy rain and went out to my car the front passenger side was full of water. I think about a day and a half went by with no visible change and then it flooded again and this time included the passenger side rear along with the front. I can find no evidence of water leakage and since I read really nothing concerning rain I am not sure if this could be the same problem. I also had water in the front passenger carpet some time ago but chalked it up to the car wash not shutting the window properly. ( I feel like I should go apologize for the bad words I said while cleaning that up.) Already I am smelling mildew and was wondering if this is expensive to replace carpets and foam? I am already into my extended warranty. (crap) I should have learned from my first Chevy but I really loved the Maxx when it came out

alivingMalibu
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
FOLKS,

Just went to the dealer this week with the same issue!!! Heavy rains and water on the passenger-side.

Guess what? It's the sunroof drainage hose! It had disconnected and was dumping the water into the interior.

The dealer ripped out all the seats, carpet, A-Pillars and the entire headliner so they could dry and find the leak. Plus, it took them a whole day to figure where the leak was coming from:mad:

This car has had so many warranty repairs that I can't even remember what has been fixed..

evans47243
02-02-2010, 07:00 PM
My 2010 had this same issue! It was the passenger side body seal near the front windshield. The water comes in, runs down the pillar, side of the dash and on to the floor board!! Most dealers will not find it. GM had to send a "Water Leak Expert" to fix mine since the dealer had it 3 times for 19 days total!!!

Now I just have front suspension issues!!! Going in for the 2nd time on this issue!!!

ElantraMax
02-04-2010, 04:35 AM
The Sunroof drain hose, Does it run down the front A Piller or down the rear pillers?

MegsBu
06-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I believe this is happening in my car. I can not find the AC drain. Can somebody please help me locate this drain. Thank you!!

Starship
06-26-2010, 05:00 PM
The drain hose pokes out of a cutout in the body panel, underneath on the passenger side. It's kind of hidden behind a heat shield. You'll need to raise the vehicle and get under it. It'd be best to take it in and mention TSB 09-01-37-002A (A/C - Front/Rear Passenger Carpet Wet).

From what I've gathered, when the vehicle is in motion, the air turbulence can cause the dripping condensate to cling to the outside surface of the hose and then get onto the cutout around the hose. If the seal there is not watertight, water will slowly seep inside.

giwilliamgilbrit1s
06-28-2010, 07:23 AM
You got to take it in. It's a known problem that requires a good bit of work to fix. Took 4 trips to the dealer, 8 weeks in the shop and a call to the district office to get mine fixed

evans47243
06-30-2010, 05:01 PM
I believe this is happening in my car. I can not find the AC drain. Can some body please help me locate this drain. Thank you!!

On some 2010 models I found out that when the robot was installing the a/c drain it would actually crack them. Just an FYI.

koolrx
07-16-2010, 09:19 PM
I have an 08 Malibu and it is in the shop for the second time for this very problem....1st time they told me it was condensation off of the ac lines, said they fixed it and off I went...well, it started doing it again, only worse this time. I had about 2 inches of water in my back floor board. The dealership called me today to inform me that it wasnt my ac, that I had a water leak coming from somewhere but they didnt know where yet. He said that the juke (whatever that is) is full of water. They are going to take out all of my seats and carpet to try and find the problem..Also with all of this they have had to replace my onstar antenna 4 times so far(now on my 5th). The dealership told me today that evidently the water has been there awhile and it is causing my onstar antenna to short out...if this was the "car of the year" I would hate to see the worse car of the year.....Here's a run down of the problems I have had.........Onstar chip replaced, antenna (5 times), electronic powersteering (twice), water in floor board (2 times), gm replaced 2 defective tires....I am going to contact GM:(

MegsBu
07-18-2010, 09:15 AM
ugh that sounds exactly like my problem. I took it to a nearby car shop that couldn't fix it and send me to a specialty shop and tried to forewarn me that it would be a 14 hr labor job(can't imagine that bill!) needless to say, i didnt take it there....was this water problem covered under your powertrain warranty? my other warranty is expired....thanks!

jeepgrady
07-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Water leaks have nothing to do with the powertrain and thus will not be covered as such.

evans47243
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
My 2010 "Mali-Poo" had a leak in the body seal that runs across the passenger side of the roof and meets the front windshield. 4 tries, 2 door seals, 23 days, 4 rental cars and GM finally hired a professional water leak expert. No more leak!!

jdeasy
07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
I just found this forum last night as I was researching why my '09 Malibu had water in the rear passenger footwell. We had noticed a moldy smell in the car for some time now. I use the car for work and there has never been anyone sit in the backseat.

Last Thursday I had to go out to my car from an insurance appointment and get a file from the passenger rear footwell. It was wet. I had a small cooler in the front footwell and assumed it was leaking. When I got in, the front was completely dry under the cooler, but, the rear was soaking wet under the floormat. I dried it out and let it sit until yesterday. It was completely dry yesterday morning. I ran appointments all over southern Indiana driving 310 miles on the day. I never went through any rain. When I got in last night, the passenger rear footwell was soaking wet under the floormat.

I entered "Malibu leaking" into the search and it brought me to this thread. I have called 3 Chevy dealers today and they all say they have never heard of this problem. I gave them all the GM memo number that someone else had posted and they all said that number had been discontinued. They said there was new one that said to seal the condensate line. I asked about replacing the carpet and underlayment, they said the memo didn't say anything about that and that, if it was leaking from that line, it would be in the front wheelwell, not the rear.

One dealer said they needed to perform a leak test. I went over the fact again that I drove 300 miles yesterday in no rain or wet roads and it was dry when I left and wet when I got in, so it have to be coming from the car. It was 90 degress here yesterday and about 90% humidity, so, there was a lot of ac condensation. It has to be that, but, these dealers seem to think that that can't be it.

I do have an appointment to have one of them look at it on Monday. Have other been getting this same runaround? A problem this common should be know to Chevy.

db46062
08-20-2010, 07:26 PM
Hi Jdeasy

Any update?

jdeasy
08-21-2010, 06:15 AM
Hi Jdeasy

Any update?

Yes, I forgot to get back on here. It took me 3 dealers to find one that knew about the problem. I took it to them and they did a repair. They said the GM recommended repair was not effective in their experience and had come up with a solution of their own. It is the condensate line on the firewall. They said the reason it isn't in the passenger front is because there is a channel in the floorboard that the water flows through and gets to the back because it stops there. They said it would eventually get to the front as the back got completely soaked.

They put a longer pipe over the drain and ran it down the firewall so that the water had to go under the car. That's been almost a month now and it's been completely dry since.

IDONOTKNOW
12-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Its the rear window seal on top both sides. #$@%^! up design. I need to take mine in and ask wtf. If you look at the side panels inside of the car by the rear window you will see the water trails.when my rear speakers went out i had to find out what the hell was going on. Just silicon it for now and when i take it to the dealer i will post what the say. Living in los angels the past few weeks sucked with all the rain and a smelly car.

snugasbug
12-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi I recently sold my Chevy and went and bought a Ford. I was so upset by the flooding and the lack of response that I got from Chevy. Also the lack of responsibility. The dealership did not do a good job cleaning up the mess at all. My car stunk. Anyway so before I sold the car my husband drove himself crazy and discovered the source of the problem. After MANY hours he discover that under the top of the hood where the windshield wipers rest on that rubber piece that is vented once you pry it back there is ANOTHER vent slowy over time stuff falls through the fist vent (leaves sticks pine needles) and builds up in the second vent. Blocking the drain and causing water to back up into your car. YOU will know this is happening if you have a slight moldy musty smell when you switch on your air conditioner. I even took my car to the dealer about this smell and they told me they fixed the problem, which they didn't and I was to busy to take it back right away. Of course that's when it rained for a week causing the flood. When I took it back to be cleaned and told them what happened the dealership could care less. So I took my money to Ford. I love my Flex and it is flood free.

Starship
12-29-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm sorry your old 2005 Malibu MAXX soured you on GM. And, I'm glad you are happy with your new Flex. At least you didn't succumb to a foreign automaker who promised some fictitious reliability records (none are as spotless as they claim). We do have the Other Rides section. Please feel free to visit us and let us know how your Flex is fairing.

redtintmalibu08
01-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Add our Malibu to the puddle list. It is a March 2008 build date and we've had it since new. We kept getting condensation inside the windows at varying temperatures, which I have never encountered in any vehicle I have ever owned. When I first mentioned this to my dealer during a oil change over a year ago, I was told that it's probably just because of the high humidity in the Atlanta area.

As this has kept occurring, I Googled it and found this thread. Last night I decided to pull the fuse panel on the passenger side of the console tunnel, put my hand under the carpet between the floor board and the foam backing of the carpet and it is soaked. It is at least a gallon of water from the front passenger footwell to the back and only on the passenger side. As others here have said, the water flows toward the rear passenger footwell from the front as there is a straight channel from the front foot well to the back along the center console/exhaust tunnel. While there is a crossmember under the seat, where the rear footwell HVAC vent is, water can pass under this crossmember near the tunnel. Note that there is no water present on the drivers side front or rear.

I am hoping that this is a result of the HVAC condensate line going through the firewall. I have an AllData DIY account, which provides owners access to all of the recalls and TSB's for their cars. There is an active TSB for this one. This is probably a problem with most Malibus and most owners probably aren't even aware that it is occurring, as the carpet has a rubber/plastic backing that is waterproof, preventing the large amounts of water from seeping through the carpet in most situations. The hint for me was the continuous moisture content inside the car, resulting in water spots on the inside glass, especially in the heat of the summer.

Why GM would engineer the condensate line like this is beyond comprehension.

Silver LTZ
01-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Add our Malibu to the puddle list. It is a March 2008 build date and we've had it since new. We kept getting condensation inside the windows at varying temperatures, which I have never encountered in any vehicle I have ever owned. When I first mentioned this to my dealer during a oil change over a year ago, I was told that it's probably just because of the high humidity in the Atlanta area.

As this has kept occurring, I Googled it and found this thread. Last night I decided to pull the fuse panel on the passenger side of the console tunnel, put my hand under the carpet between the floor board and the foam backing of the carpet and it is soaked. It is at least a gallon of water from the front passenger footwell to the back and only on the passenger side. As others here have said, the water flows toward the rear passenger footwell from the front as there is a straight channel from the front foot well to the back along the center console/exhaust tunnel. While there is a crossmember under the seat, where the rear footwell HVAC vent is, water can pass under this crossmember near the tunnel. Note that there is no water present on the drivers side front or rear.

I am hoping that this is a result of the HVAC condensate line going through the firewall. I have an AllData DIY account, which provides owners access to all of the recalls and TSB's for their cars. There is an active TSB for this one. This is probably a problem with most Malibus and most owners probably aren't even aware that it is occurring, as the carpet has a rubber/plastic backing that is waterproof, preventing the large amounts of water from seeping through the carpet in most situations. The hint for me was the continuous moisture content inside the car, resulting in water spots on the inside glass, especially in the heat of the summer.

We just had my wife's car done a few weeks ago. I used it on the weekend to go out with a few buddies after not driving it for about two weeks and noticed a smell as soon as I opened the door. Wife most likey didn't notice it since it got worse over time. Dealer said it is"common" LOL. The line under the glove box is where the leak was. They had to replace the foam and have the carpet cleaned. Pain in the ass this car is becoming. That is dealer trip 11 in about a year and a half and only 29K.

jdeasy
01-07-2011, 05:50 AM

Once i found a dealer that knew what the problem was, it was fixed. I had several dealers play the dumb card. I also found this site because of seaching for answers. My car got fixed last summer. It never leaked again and had no musty smell. The repair took less than a half hour.

It was hit by a lady that ran a stop sign in Nov and totaled, so, I don't have data past then. I went with an Impala to replace it. The Malibu was a good car, except for this persistent problem. I didn't want to have to go through that again.

jeepgrady
01-07-2011, 07:51 AM
Can you please post the TSB?

Mobydickulous
04-06-2011, 08:44 AM
After MANY hours he discover that under the top of the hood where the windshield wipers rest on that rubber piece that is vented once you pry it back there is ANOTHER vent slowy over time stuff falls through the fist vent (leaves sticks pine needles) and builds up in the second vent. Blocking the drain and causing water to back up into your car. YOU will know this is happening if you have a slight moldy musty smell when you switch on your air conditioner. I even took my car to the dealer about this smell and they told me they fixed the problem, which they didn't and I was to busy to take it back right away. Of course that's when it rained for a week causing the flood. When I took it back to be cleaned and told them what happened the dealership could care less. So I took my money to Ford. I love my Flex and it is flood free.
My finance got home last night and said that a ton of water had come pouring out of her passenger heat vents onto the floor when she left work and turned out of the parking lot (it had rained most of the day yesterday). I went out and took a look and she had a good two inches of water filling the front passenger footwell. I noticed the location of the heater box intake under the hood as you mentioned. I called the dealership and they said it sounded like that's where the water was gettign in. When I asked what to do about it they said we'd have to bring it in for them to look at.

They're going to end up charging an arm and a leg and after poking around the internet and reading here (this is the only post I've seen mentioning this by the way), as I suspected I have a feeling it's just the drain being blocked since we've had the car for a couple of years now and this is the first water issue she's had. Plus it's only mid-April here in New England and she hasn't used the AC in months.

I'm hoping we can get the carpet dried out enough that it doesn't stink since we caught it early and most of the water seemed to stay above the carpet. In the meantime I'm curious if there's a way to get that cowling up/out where the wipers are so I can clean out the area underneath and make sure the water is draining? I'm going to take a closer look at it after work today but if anyone has any guidance I'd appreciate it.

DrivenDaily
04-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Your issue sounds more like the cowl didn't drain so the water filled up and came in the fresh air intake. Possibly the gasket sealing the air horn has also failed partially.

The issues you've read about in this thread occur in dry weather or wet. The AC condensate drain is the principle cause.

To test and then fix yours you should be able to turn on a garden hose and let all of its water run into the cowl. Watch it and see if the water level starts to rise. That's your clue that the cowl has accumulated enough debris to clog the drains - one on each side. Is the car parked under pine needles or small leaves? They will penetrate the screen more easily than larger leaves will, but large leaves will cover an opening more easily, allowing other small debris to fill the rest of the openings. Voila! and you have a clog.

Check it out and you could save yourself a bunch of dough. Post what you find and share it with us.

Mobydickulous
04-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Your issue sounds more like the cowl didn't drain so the water filled up and came in the fresh air intake. Possibly the gasket sealing the air horn has also failed partially.

The issues you've read about in this thread occur in dry weather or wet. The AC condensate drain is the principle cause.

To test and then fix yours you should be able to turn on a garden hose and let all of its water run into the cowl. Watch it and see if the water level starts to rise. That's your clue that the cowl has accumulated enough debris to clog the drains - one on each side. Is the car parked under pine needles or small leaves? They will penetrate the screen more easily than larger leaves will, but large leaves will cover an opening more easily, allowing other small debris to fill the rest of the openings. Voila! and you have a clog.

Check it out and you could save yourself a bunch of dough. Post what you find and share it with us.

I'll be posting an update here (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7104).

jjackd6
05-05-2011, 09:43 PM
To all,
I've had the same issue with water in the rt rear floorboard. And I finally singled it out to the AC drain tube that sticks out from the dash through the firewall. After trusting the local dealership with $600.00 and four attempts -- they failed to fix the problem. In fact they left my car in worse shape than before (imagine 1/4 inch holes drilled into your floor under the carpet to drain the water -- and nothing to seal or protect the underbody from the elements). I decided to fix it myself, and so far (going on almost a year) dry as a bone.

Here what I used:

1 small tube of rubberized sillicone

1 roll of waterproof tape (I guess what is used for fixing leaks in pipes)

Torx Sockets and ratchet for removing front passenger seat

Gerber multi tool (although I hope you have better tools than I did at the time, such as a Dremel), for cutting away part of the plastic moulding under the dash to get to the drain tube

Hate and Rage (courtesey of GM)

I removed the front passenger seat just to get more room to work. I pulled up the carpet and the padding to reveal part of the floorboard and the underside of the dash. There will be some foam insulation glued to the upper part of the floorboard and the firewall as it angles up behind the dash. Using Hate and Rage, I pulled that stuff out (see first thumbnail).

The AC drain tube is hidden behind part of the lower dash. Its basically plastic moulding that holds some crappy foam disc in place intended to stop water from coming in. You could use a Dremel tool for this part, but at the time I only had my Gerber multi tool (and Rage of course) to pry away the moulding to eyeball the drain tube (see second and third thumbnails). That gap you see around the AC drain tube is where water would seep in and run down the firewall and pool in the back of the car. This is where I focused my attention.

I used the waterproof tape to bridge the open gap of the pre-cut hole in the firewall as best as I could. The space between the firewall and the dash assembly is very tight and I could only get my banana hands in so far. What I couldnt completely cover with the waterproof tape, I figured I could get with a liberal application of rubberized sillicone. I coated the waterproof tape, applied some down around the AC drain tube and overlapped onto the firewall. I admit it looks like a spastic Bobcat did it, but I figured

1) I paid some joker 600 bucks to drill holes in my car so screw aesthetics
2) The carpet will cover it up
3) I was very angry and it made me feel better

(see fourth thumbnail)

After letting the sillicone stiffen, I replaced the padding, carpet and seat. Then I hoped I actually did something right. As I said earlier, after a year no more water.

Hope it helps:D

DrivenDaily
05-06-2011, 03:59 AM
Thanks for sharing your successful repair. I'm sure it'll help anyone who falls victim to this issue.

Wow, with a story like that, I'd be back at the dealership with a demand: Fix the freakin' holes you just put in the car!

Zuppa123
09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
We have had this water issue too.

It started with a smelly wet passenger seat belt that I noticed one day. It has now turned into an occasional Malibu with a soaked carpet AND HEADLINER. The headliner gets wet all the time which is something that no one else seems to have as a symptom. When the car is on a pointed down, the water collects at the front right corner of the headliner and goes down the a pillar. GM actually told us "to not park it in that spot in your driveway" WTF?!?! So we parked it on a flat spot in our driveway and this Sunday, the water collected at the right b pillar and rans down to the seat belt roll. We had the windshield replaced by Safelite and GM is saying that it's the windshield, basically because that is the easy way out for them. How can water collect at the middle of the car with no evidence of water at the front of the car if it's the windshield?? How can it be the windshield if we had a wet seatbelt over 5 months before the windshield was replaced. Does anyone have some ideas???

BTW, GM, you are welcome for bailing your asses out with my tax money. This is the thanks I get. Those FORD's are looking better everyday!!

DrivenDaily
09-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Got a sunroof?

Zuppa123
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes, we have a sunroof.

The dealer has run water over the car for hours (garden hose, "rain shower" head and car wash) and cannot get anything to leak. It only leaks during rain storms.

For some reason, even though they never found a leak, they blame the windshield...isn't that convenient??? >:[

Mobydickulous
09-01-2011, 09:56 PM

It started with a smelly wet passenger seat belt that I noticed one day. It has now turned into an occasional Malibu with a soaked carpet AND HEADLINER. The headliner gets wet all the time which is something that no one else seems to have as a symptom. When the car is on a pointed down, the water collects at the front right corner of the headliner and goes down the a pillar. GM actually told us "to not park it in that spot in your driveway" WTF?!?! So we parked it on a flat spot in our driveway and this Sunday, the water collected at the right b pillar and rans down to the seat belt roll. We had the windshield replaced by Safelite and GM is saying that it's the windshield, basically because that is the easy way out for them. How can water collect at the middle of the car with no evidence of water at the front of the car if it's the windshield?? How can it be the windshield if we had a wet seatbelt over 5 months before the windshield was replaced. Does anyone have some ideas???

BTW, GM, you are welcome for bailing your asses out with my tax money. This is the thanks I get. Those FORD's are looking better everyday!!

If you don't have a sunroof, or that turns out not to be the issue, this thread may be of some help - http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=60040#post60040

We just went through a months-long witch hunt to find the source of a leak that turned out to be the roof seal on the passenger side of the car.

Zuppa123
09-02-2011, 05:40 AM
Most of the evidence seems to point to something other than the windshield, so I can bring this up to the body shop as well. Thank you.

Oh, and I did send this thread to the dealership and mentioned it to Abigal, the GM service 'person'...their responses..."You can't believe what you read in those threads." "There are members from other companies that join the threads and make things up." "We have an extensive database to cross reference your issue and blah blah blah." I am also a part of Camaro5.com and I find it funny when I communicate with members of that forum who work for GM and then see and talk to them at car shows. I guess that's make believe too.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-02-2011, 01:30 PM

Have you contacted customer assistance regarding your concern? I can also look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and dealer name via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

DrivenDaily
09-03-2011, 04:42 AM
Most of the evidence seems to point to something other than the windshield, so I can bring this up to the body shop as well. Thank you.

Oh, and I did send this thread to the dealership and mentioned it to Abigal, the GM service 'person'...their responses..."You can't believe what you read in those threads." "There are members from other companies that join the threads and make things up." "We have an extensive database to cross reference your issue and blah blah blah." I am also a part of Camaro5.com and I find it funny when I communicate with members of that forum who work for GM and then see and talk to them at car shows. I guess that's make believe too.

Dang, how'd they find me out? They're right, I don't work for GM!

But that picture of my car with the painted grilles - what does that prove to them?

Sounds like a vain attempt to discredit anything they didn't think of themselves instead of a desire to actually help you. Regardless of where you got the idea, a forum, BB, Wikipedia, or a fortune teller, the idea is in your head and now it's a question they need to answer. Sounds like you don't let them stop you, so that's good!

JoeII
10-17-2011, 07:59 AM
I too had a water problem in my '08 Malibu. Water was getting on top of the carpet, not underneath. After checking the seam between the roof and body side, the weather stripping around the doors and windows, I found the drain hose from the sunroof (right/front) was never connected.
I accessed the area just behind the right top edge of the windshield, by pulling the weatherstrip around the door and sunroof, removing the visor, and pulling the A pillar cover back slightly. This let the headliner droop enough to see that the exposed drain hose (bright green) was not connected to the sunroof drain.
I connected it and put all the trim pieces back in place in about 15 minutes total.
Should be good to go!

Joe

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-18-2011, 06:32 AM
@JoeII, thank you for sharing your experience with us. I apologize that you had to experience this with your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Have you experienced leaks since you connected the drain hose or is everything go good now?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

JoeII
10-19-2011, 03:49 AM
Michelle, thanks for the reply. It may be too early to tell, but I am keeping an eye on it. I'm fairly confident that I fixed the problem. If I get some free time, I may check out the driver side drain, but I've never had water on that side...

Thanks again,
Joe

Zuppa123
10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
After GM sent us on a wild goose chase to prove that the windshield was not the cause of this, we finally took it back to Safelite where they documented the tests that they did to prove that it wasn't their repair causing the leak. We were confident in this result since we had a wet, smelly (like mildew) seatbelt about four months before the windshield was replaced. GM never seemed to listen to that particular fact. Either way, Maguire Chevrolet in Ithaca, NY looked into the dampness and never found anything. That was October of 2010.
We didn't have major issues until this April when the car was filled with water one morning. We took it to Gault Chevrolet in Endicott, NY where they said that it was the windshield drain. Even after that repair it still leaked. Gault has now given up since they apparently "have so much money in the car" and can't make it leak in the shop. Well, regardless of how much money [U]they[U] have in it, it's not as much as us and if you can't make it leak, they you are doing something wrong.
After all this fighting and arguing with GM and dealerships, we finally received a bonus allowance on a new GM car. That's wonderful but the Malibu isn't worth shit now. We are getting $14k on a $30k car that is two years old with 43k miles on it. Why the hell would we want to buy another GM product that will go down the tubes in value so quickly? We can't get a deal that we feel good about...anywhere. GM won't allow us to use the bonus allowance on a used GM vehicle so we are actually probably not going to get any GM vehicle, new or used.
This whole experience has disgusted me. From the not listening to simple logic (i.e. gravity), the pushing of liability off to someone else, the poor values, terrible service from some of the dealerships (some people were helpful) and the stress this ordeal has caused me and my girlfriend, GM will most likely never get another one of our hard earned dollars. I'd expect what we went through to happen if we bought a Hyundai in 1998, but not "The New GM". What a crock.
By the way, it still leaks, but if anyone want to buy it, the first $17k takes it!!

JoeII
10-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Zuppa123, have you checked the sunroof drain (right/front corner) above the A pillar? It is fairly easy to do. I had similar issues to yours. Water logged seatbelt, flooded passenger foot area, some drips around the sunroof switch, only after severe rains, never from washing the car.
The hose (drain) from the sunroof goes down the A pillar and ends in a grommet near the door hinge. Mine wasn't connected, but just sitting next to the drain. Their are some drawings on this thread: http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5527
Also see my previous posts to expose the drain/tube junction.
I know the damage is done, but it would be nice to finally correct the issue.

Hope this helps,
Joe

Zuppa123
10-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Joe,

Thank you for being more helpful than any GM employee thus far. Gault did mention that the drain tube was disconnected after one of the floods, but it still leaked after they "fixed" it. Considering where the water is collecting when the car is on a flat surface, I suppose it could be the rear drains? This was never mentioned to be looked at or repaired by either dealership we took it to. If I can get the b-pillar molding off, maybe I can look into this. Thanks again.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-19-2011, 02:52 PM
@JoeII, thank you for the additional information. You are very welcome and I hope that you are having a great week so far.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Zuppa123
11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Well, this just gets more and more entertaining. I have kind of fallen out of the loop on trying to repair this thing so some of this is hear-say, but the car was dropped off at McGuire and we said "we want a loner and don't call us til it's fixed." Miraculously, almost instantly, they found a "missing weld" or some thing that "was obviously the cause of the problem" and they "don't know how Gault missed it."
Imagine that, one of those silly welding robots that had already made thousands of cars all of sudden didn't feel well that day and missed a few welds. We have no idea of where this was and no pics to see the repair made. But hey, it hasn't leaked thus far...oh wait it hasn't rained since it was "fixed" either. Given the weather patterns around here, we may not see another significant rain storm til April. At least we will have a break from the chaos. Well, after we get the "I'll work when I want to" heated seat fixed.

flakedsvt
07-15-2012, 06:39 AM
To all,
I've had the same issue with water in the rt rear floorboard. And I finally singled it out to the AC drain tube that sticks out from the dash through the firewall. After trusting the local dealership with $600.00 and four attempts -- they failed to fix the problem. In fact they left my car in worse shape than before (imagine 1/4 inch holes drilled into your floor under the carpet to drain the water -- and nothing to seal or protect the underbody from the elements). I decided to fix it myself, and so far (going on almost a year) dry as a bone.

Here what I used:

1 small tube of rubberized sillicone

1 roll of waterproof tape (I guess what is used for fixing leaks in pipes)

Torx Sockets and ratchet for removing front passenger seat

Gerber multi tool (although I hope you have better tools than I did at the time, such as a Dremel), for cutting away part of the plastic moulding under the dash to get to the drain tube

Hate and Rage (courtesey of GM)

I removed the front passenger seat just to get more room to work. I pulled up the carpet and the padding to reveal part of the floorboard and the underside of the dash. There will be some foam insulation glued to the upper part of the floorboard and the firewall as it angles up behind the dash. Using Hate and Rage, I pulled that stuff out (see first thumbnail).

The AC drain tube is hidden behind part of the lower dash. Its basically plastic moulding that holds some crappy foam disc in place intended to stop water from coming in. You could use a Dremel tool for this part, but at the time I only had my Gerber multi tool (and Rage of course) to pry away the moulding to eyeball the drain tube (see second and third thumbnails). That gap you see around the AC drain tube is where water would seep in and run down the firewall and pool in the back of the car. This is where I focused my attention.

I used the waterproof tape to bridge the open gap of the pre-cut hole in the firewall as best as I could. The space between the firewall and the dash assembly is very tight and I could only get my banana hands in so far. What I couldnt completely cover with the waterproof tape, I figured I could get with a liberal application of rubberized sillicone. I coated the waterproof tape, applied some down around the AC drain tube and overlapped onto the firewall. I admit it looks like a spastic Bobcat did it, but I figured

1) I paid some joker 600 bucks to drill holes in my car so screw aesthetics
2) The carpet will cover it up
3) I was very angry and it made me feel better

(see fourth thumbnail)

After letting the sillicone stiffen, I replaced the padding, carpet and seat. Then I hoped I actually did something right. As I said earlier, after a year no more water.

Hope it helps:D

Just wantred to let you know that this thread was very helpful. I am just about finished with this repair and will let you know how it turns out!

JoeII
07-16-2012, 04:02 AM
I guess I'm not out of the woods just yet!
Had some drips coming out around the passenger seat belt height adjuster and also on the trim kick panel in the passenger floorboard. Normal Florida rain...
I checked the drain tube that I previously corrected (see previous posts) and it was still connected. I'm starting to think that the drain pan around the moon roof is cracked or something.
It's getting too frustrating to deal with...

JoeII

Moneer81
08-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Just wantred to let you know that this thread was very helpful. I am just about finished with this repair and will let you know how it turns out!

flakedsvt and jjackd6:

I have the same exact problem.

jjackd6 you have no idea how valuable your tutorial was! After scratching my heads for weeks and taking it to several shops, I came across your post I printed it out and just picked up the tape and silicone last night. I have all the carpet taken out and the seat out and I can finally see the culprit! The only problem is that there is this thick foam+rubber mat right underneath the dashboard and I am leery of ripping it off, and it looks like taking it off the correct way will involve taking apart the whole damn dashboard!

Were you both able to resolve the water issue permanently with this fix?