3.6L Performance Chip [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 3.6L Performance Chip

2008LTZcrazy
05-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I have recently talked to the service advisor at the dealership where I purchased my car and a service tech at the local Cadillac dealership. They both claim that the V-6 in the LTZ is the same as the CTS. The difference is the CTS has 304hp while the LTZ only has 252hp which according to them is simply a difference in the programming of the on-board computer and a different air intake. This can be changed by installing a K&N cold air intake and a performance chip. Has anyone seen a company carry any perfomance parts for the new Malibu yet?

mpoczobut
05-28-2008, 11:17 AM
I believe your service department is mistaken. Yes the Malibu 3.6 has the same engine as the CTS but it is 263 HP base model. The 304 HP engine is the Direct Injection upgrade which I believe is more than programming and intake (it is a completely different engine). I have heard as well that the difference of 11 HP in the base CTS vs. Malibu is simply programming.

2008LTZcrazy
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Same engine different intake.

mpoczobut
05-28-2008, 11:31 AM
It may be the same "engine" but there is a lot more involved then a different intake...

http://media.gm.com/eur/cad/en/news/pk/pk_07.11.02_CTS/6_CTS_Performance.doc

Direct-Injection technology
The 3.6L Direct Injection engine is the premium engine option for the 2008 CTS. This technology on the 3.6L VVT engine contributes greatly to a 15-percent increase in horsepower; 8-percent increase in torque, and 3-percent improvement in fuel consumption. Additionally, the application of direct injection reduces cold-start hydrocarbon emissions by 25 percent and it is designed to operate with regular unleaded gasoline. The engine also helps the CTS achieve zero to 100 km/h performance of 6.3 seconds and a top speed of 249 km/h (electronically limited).

Gasoline direct injection differs from the fuel delivery process of a conventional fuel injected engine by delivering fuel directly into the combustion chamber, where it is mixed with air drawn in the chamber; the conventional design mixes the air and fuel prior to delivery into the combustion chamber. The advantage is improved fuel control and a more complete burn, which generally requires less fuel than a conventionally injected engine of the same size and configuration.

With the 3.6L direct injection engine, fuel is introduced directly to the cylinder during the intake stroke. As the piston approaches top-dead center, the mixture is ignited by the spark plug. The fuel injectors are located beneath the intake ports, as the intake ports only transfer air. Direct injection also permits a slightly higher compression ratio than if the fuel were delivered with conventional fuel injection. The result is better fuel consumption at part and full throttle. The engine uses conventional spark plugs similar to other high-feature V-6 engines.

A high-pressure, returnless fuel system is employed. It features a high-strength stainless steel fuel line that feeds a variable-pressure fuel rail. Direct injection requires higher fuel pressure than conventional fuel injected engines and an engine-driven high-pressure fuel pump is used to supply up to 1,740 psi (120 bar) of pressure. The system regulates lower fuel pressure at idle – approximately 508 psi (35 bar) and higher pressure at wide-open throttle. The exhaust cam-driven high-pressure pump works in conjunction with a conventional fuel tank-mounted supply pump.

Direct injection’s fuel delivery enables very efficient combustion to help reduce emissions, particularly on cold starts – the time when most tailpipe emissions are typically created. Also, direct injection permits a higher compression ratio – 11.3:1 in the case of the 3.6L – which has a positive influence on fuel economy.

3.6L Direct Injection VVT
The 3.6L Direct Injection VVT engine is based on a sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 design. It is the latest member of a growing family of V-6 engines developed for applications around the world, drawing on the best practices and creative expertise of technical experts in Australia, Germany, North America and Sweden.

Features found on the 3.6-liter VVT DI include:
• Aluminum engine block and cylinder heads
• Dual overhead cams with four valves per cylinder and silent chain primary drive
• High-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump
• Advanced multi-outlet fuel injectors developed to withstand high pressure and heat
• Stainless steel, variable pressure fuel rail
• Four-cam phasing (VVT – see description below)
• 11.3:1 compression ratio
• Aluminum pistons with floating wrist pins and oil squirters
• Polymer coated piston skirts
• Forged steel crankshaft
• Sinter-forged connecting rods
• Structural cast-aluminum oil pan with steel baffles
• Electronic throttle control with integrated cruise control
• Coil-on-plug ignition
• Advanced direct injection capable engine control module (ECM)
• Optimized exhaust manifolds with close-coupled catalytic converters
• Fully isolated composite camshaft covers
• Outstanding noise, vibration and harshness control
• Maximum durability with minimum maintenance
• Common manufacturing practices for efficiency and exceptional quality

Four-cam phasing
The 3.6L Direct Injection VVT employs four-cam phasing to change the timing of valve operation as operating conditions such as rpm and engine load vary. The result is linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (maximum horsepower per liter of displacement) without sacrificing overall engine response and driveability. When combined, direct injection and cam phasing technologies result in an unmatched combination of power, efficiency and low emissions in gasoline V-6 engines.

Cam phasing pays big dividends in reducing exhaust emissions by optimizing exhaust valve overlap and eliminating the need for a separate exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system.

By closing the exhaust valves late at appropriate times, the cam phasers allow the engine to draw the desired amount of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber, reducing unburned hydrocarbon emissions. The return of exhaust gases also decreases peak temperatures, which contributes to the reduction of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) emissions. In tandem with the dramatic 25-percent reduction in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions brought on by direct injection, the 3.6L Direct Injection VVT V-6 surpasses all emissions mandates, and does so without complex, weight-increasing emissions control systems such as EGR and air injection reaction (AIR).

2008LTZcrazy
05-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Interesting. Very informative website you quoted. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the dealerships need to be informed a little more on their products. It would be nice to get over 300hp out of the car though.

mpoczobut
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Interesting. Very informative website you quoted. Thanks for the clarification. Maybe the dealerships need to be informed a little more on their products. It would be nice to get over 300hp out of the car though.

No problem! 300hp and better fuel mileage sounds good to me too! But with everything there comes a cost... It does look promising though as one way for GM to get closer to meeting the CAFE regulations and not compromise performance.

2008LTZcrazy
05-28-2008, 02:38 PM
What do you think about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-CHEVROLET-MALIBU-97-09-GAS-SAVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ008QQit emZ180245529732QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

mpoczobut
05-28-2008, 02:43 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REAL-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-CHEVROLET-MALIBU-97-09-GAS-SAVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQihZ008QQit emZ180245529732QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

As said by another member in another thread; I too am skeptical about these inexpensive performance/fuel efficient modifications. If it were that cheap and that easy, the likes of GM wouldn't need to spend Billions of $$s to figure out how to get their entire fleet at 30MPG or better by 2015.

If you buy one and truly see the benefit please let us know, we'd love to hear the results!

2008LTZcrazy
05-28-2008, 02:56 PM
I am skeptical about the controller and how it creates better fuel economy. I am interested in the horsepower gain though. Just wondering what the general though was on these things. They work on trucks for power.

DrD
05-28-2008, 10:38 PM

This looks like the inline resistor part that was discussed on our other thread. If it is, the so-called "Chip" is just a simple resistor (a 5’ part) that tricks the air sensor into thinking the temperature is offset so the computer tries to compensate by offsetting your fuel/air ratio. The offset might give a minor fuel savings under some conditions, but likely could cause more problems under altering conditions that are more common. Looks to be just another "Too good to be true story".

A true "Chip" modification requires that you replace an actual memory IC or processor IC deep in the computer board assembly. Some vehicle systems will let you reprogram the "Chip" without a physical hardware change if you happen to have access to the special reprogramming tool, the special GM access codes, and new software code from an expert performance hacker.

DrD

2008LTZcrazy
05-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Some vehicle systems will let you reprogram the "Chip" without a physical hardware change if you happen to have access to the special reprogramming tool, the special GM access codes, and new software code from an expert performance hacker.

DrD

Have you heard of any companies that have this ability yet?

djones56
07-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Jet Chip Performance now has a computer module for the 2008 LTZ 3.6l V-6. I have mine ordered and should be in by next week...

cerbomark
07-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I had my last two Silverados done. They re program the ECM (engine control computer) .They have mail order which you order and then change the computer when it arrives. It s very easy to change. If I remember its on the drivers side under the hood, towards the front and it s silver. The other method, which is better, is EFI live, which the laptop is in the car and while you drive the programmer changes the parameters of the computer. Mostly advancing the timing which requires a higher octane fuel than regular. Changes shift points and firmness.It s a remarkable improvment for the money. Runs from $100-$400 or so.

USA1fan
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I'd like to see real world tests of the performance and fuel economy changes this makes to the Malibu before deciding to buy it. I know the results for most full size GM truck owners have varied wildly for the fuel economy side of the coin, though the power numbers have been much more consistent.

CuriousC
07-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't understand why this isn't done from the factory if it provides such great results?

DOACanada
07-07-2008, 10:56 AM
CuriousC - If memory serves me correctly, some of it has to do with the fact that when you make these "modifications" the wear and tear on certain parts increases thus shortening their life. "Squeezing" out more from the engine inadvertenly puts more strain on other components thus warranty coverage would increase.

cerbomark
07-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I don't understand why this isn't done from the factory if it provides such great results?

alot of the timing changes are not done beacuse of the added fuel requirments (higher octane). Some states have much better fuel than others and the car needs to be shipped all over the country and not have any issues. As far as additional wear, there is some depending on what changes are done.Mostly changes to the transmission. The engine is only adversly affected if the timing is advanced for more power and someone keeps putting in a low grade and octane fuel.

CuriousC
07-07-2008, 02:54 PM
CuriousC - If memory serves me correctly, some of it has to do with the fact that when you make these "modifications" the wear and tear on certain parts increases thus shortening their life. "Squeezing" out more from the engine inadvertenly puts more strain on other components thus warranty coverage would increase.

Oh that would suck, I wouldn't want any modifications on an engine that makes it less reliable.

alot of the timing changes are not done beacuse of the added fuel requirments (higher octane). Some states have much better fuel than others and the car needs to be shipped all over the country and not have any issues. As far as additional wear, there is some depending on what changes are done.Mostly changes to the transmission. The engine is only adversly affected if the timing is advanced for more power and someone keeps putting in a low grade and octane fuel.

I didn't think you would need to run a higher grade of fuel unless you added some form of forced induction (Super/Turbocharger) to the car. Wear would be a big thing, I guess they could put in parts that can tolerate the extra stress but at this point your speaking big bucks.

cerbomark
07-08-2008, 05:37 AM
No, Increased timing along would require a higher octane. Ive done this to two Silverados and I was happy with the results after much research.

wbarr12@comcast.net
02-26-2009, 09:28 PM
I believe your service department is mistaken. Yes the Malibu 3.6 has the same engine as the CTS but it is 263 HP base model. The 304 HP engine is the Direct Injection upgrade which I believe is more than programming and intake (it is a completely different engine). I have heard as well that the difference of 11 HP in the base CTS vs. Malibu is simply programming.

I was told by the dealer the 3.6 chevy engine is direct injection!

mpoczobut
02-27-2009, 06:24 AM

Your dealer is misinformed.

I believe the only Chevy that is DI is the Traverse.

slhaas
02-27-2009, 10:11 AM
A similar 3.6l exists with DI, but it's in the Cadillac.

Malibu Glow
02-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Currently no one with a laptop and tuner is able to tune the PCM in the newer Malibus, but one person I know will be doing what he can to gain access to the programming tools needed to change perameters in the PCM. There were two companies offering tuning capabilities using a laptop, one is DHP Tuners ( which is no longer in business) and the other is HP Tuners. Both of these companies work with guys using a laptop and their software to reprogram the PCM. GM done away with the removable chip years ago and went to a reflashable PCM that offers greater tuning ability over the earlier versions of PCM's used.

Bobo
03-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I just checked EFI Lives Website and it says they support tuning on 07-09 Chevrolet Malibu 3.5L, 3.9L. I'm going out in the garage to read my wifes car right now. I'll let you all know if it works and what I find out. She brought the car home today, so I gotta be sneaky. If she sees me in the car with the computer, she is going to be pissed!

Bobo
03-02-2009, 08:21 PM
08-09 Chevrolet Malibu 3.5L, 3.6L is supported as the e67 ecm...I'm uploading it now. It takes about 4 minutes to read it.

Bobo
03-02-2009, 08:25 PM
2048k...file uploaded!!

Bobo
03-02-2009, 08:28 PM
08-09 Chevrolet Malibu 6 Speed Auto T 43 TCM uploading now...

Bobo
03-02-2009, 08:36 PM
TCM uploaded okay, but it says my software does not support it. I'll e-mail the file to EFI Live and get some support for it.

Bobo
03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
I got the EFI software updated to build 82 and the TCM read works now.

Bobo
03-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I tuned the TCM. The car is pretty fun to drive now. I went out and logged it for half an hour. I'll go through the data and see what I find. Right now the car seems to be pulling timing. It is running fat, so leaning it out now is going to make the timing even more of a problem. The shifts were nice with the new TCM, but can use some work. I need to see how much the TC system is going to work on slick roads before I decide what to do with the TCM any more than what I did tonight. I did raise the WOT shift points and kept the converter locked on all the shifts. It feels good. I'm leaving it alone for 1K miles now. I want to log it a lot and gather more data before I do anything to the ECM.

slhaas
03-04-2009, 09:58 AM
I tuned the TCM. The car is pretty fun to drive now. I went out and logged it for half an hour. I'll go through the data and see what I find. Right now the car seems to be pulling timing. It is running fat, so leaning it out now is going to make the timing even more of a problem. The shifts were nice with the new TCM, but can use some work. I need to see how much the TC system is going to work on slick roads before I decide what to do with the TCM any more than what I did tonight. I did raise the WOT shift points and kept the converter locked on all the shifts. It feels good. I'm leaving it alone for 1K miles now. I want to log it a lot and gather more data before I do anything to the ECM.

Are/were you a GM tech? What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish in your tuning? How are you doing it, and can we do it with a laptop and some simple hardware? Can you do anything to make the manual mode shifting more responsive (so it shifts right when you push the button instead of lagging)?

Bobo
03-04-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm using software called EFI Live. Goto www.efilive.com to learn more about the software. I'm using the Flashscan V2 cable to tune the car. $799 for the cable. I know a few dealers, so let me know if you want one.

I'll go test the manual mode tonight and see if it feels better. I did not test it last night and I don't drive the car much since it is my wifes.

beach
03-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Sounds like you're seeing the typical "stock" stuff, regarding the tune.

GM usually sets things up 1) to run on 87 so they run rich, among other things, to compensate, 2) at shift points the pressures are kept low for squish shifts AND timing is backed out extensively right at those times to essentially kill the load on the trans for the split second or so, 3) rev limiter is set pretty conservatively, 4) automatic upshifts are quick and downshifts slow for fuel economy (sometimes good, sometimes not necessarily), etc., etc.

I dabbled in tuning with a RWD Cadillac Fleetwood LT1 I had before, and now am just waiting on a full retune of both engine & trans of my new G8 GT. Crisper, quicker shifts, fully remapped engine controls to use 93 octane to the full extent with timing changes and to boost economy at the same time, etc., etc.

Vector Motorsports has done quite a bit of tuning on the G6 and, specifically, the 3.6L/6-spd combo (hugely popular in the G8 crowd, too, and doing mine), so I wonder what all they change. Also, there could be a lot to be done if you wanted to set it up for premium fuel specifically. All depends.

Good luck with the tuning...:)

tke124
03-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Sounds interesting but can someone breakdown in simple terms as I have no idea really about any of this tuning stuff or what this efilive website can do for my bu I am not that good with the mechanics of cars. Thanks

Bobo
03-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Here are some screen shots of the EFI Live Tune software. You can see the tables and how it breaks the tune down into categories to organize it. This is only half of the software. The scan tool is used to log the vehicle to see how it reacts to tuning changes or just to look for problems with the vehicle.

nighthawk-24
03-20-2009, 02:25 AM

Don't listen to them. I have gotten multiple different answers on the same subjects from different people at the same dealership. (Confusing sentence :rolleyes: ) Anyways, some reps at dealers do not know what the hell they are talking about, so take what they tell you with a grain of salt. The V6 in the Malibu is not Direct Injection. It is Sequential Fuel Injection with Variable Valve Timing & 252 HP. The CTS base engine is the same except it has 263 HP due to programming. The CTS 3.6 DI (direct injection) is basically a totally different engine and has 304 HP. The fact that it has 3.6 Liters of displacement is more or less a coincidence, or GM used an engine block with high production volume to lower overall costs. The 3.6 DI is the same engine going in the "base" Camaro.

That is definitely not the same engine as in the 3.6 L Malibu.

bxexaxr79
04-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I believe JET Performance makes a programmer for V-6 Malibus. I'm debating myself on picking one up. I feel like there is a lot more power that could be sucked out of that 3.6, not sure if that would be the best way to go about it though.