Serious Steering Problem [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Serious Steering Problem

Pages : [1] 2

brock6051
11-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I have owned this new 2013 Chevy Malibu LT since April. Before I bring it back to the dealer, I thought I would check with some of the other owners here to see if any of you are experiencing the same issue.

Something is seriously wrong with the steering on this car. It is hard to describe, but I'll try: The car's steering doesn't have any true center. This means basically, when you're on a straight, flat highway, and let go of the wheel, the car wants to track either left or right - but never dead center. The driver's reaction to this is to correct the course the car is going in by nudging the wheel in the opposite direction. When doing this, I can feel the power steering "skip" past center, in favor of gently tracking in the opposite direction.

The skipping effect is best described as a "void," a place in the steering where the resistance in the power steering diminishes. Once this resistance returns and the driver completes correcting the course in this manner, the car starts to subtly pull in the opposite direction. It's impossible to center it. What should be a pleasant cruise down the highway turns into an infuriating tug of war between the car which wants to go one way versus the driver's corrective efforts, which leads the car to track the other way.

This problem is obvious only when driving on a straightaway on a flat surface at highway speeds. But, the fact that it can be noticed under these conditions only tells you that it's a problem that is always present, and is compromising the drivers' ability to control the car under ALL conditions, even if not particularly noticeable.

Are there any recalls that deal with this? Are there any other drivers here who have experienced this problem? I would like to hear some feedback so that I can better describe this problem to the dealer when I take it back.

Thanks!

Rob

Rodents
11-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Was any front end work done to the car just prior to this happening? Sounds like the PSCM (Power Steering Control Module) needs to have the steering angle sensor centering and software endstop learns redone. The steering angle sensor centering procedure is done first, followed by the software endstop reset procedure, then the software endstop learn is done. If any steering linkage work is done, a column replaced, the steering rack or assist motor replaced, these procedures must be done or a condition like you describe will result. Been there, done that.

One of our newer guys put a column in a '05 Malibu, he didn't do the learn procedures, there were three separate procedures back then. He took it on a road test and came back and just by luck I overheard him say he had a bad new column. I talked to him, found out what he did and did the three learns and he drove it again and it was fine.

When you take it to the dealer, make sure you show them what you're after, take the shop foreman or service manager out and have them drive it so they know what you're concerned about. There may be a software update for the PSCM as well, I'm not sure though. I would start with the relearns first though, that will most likely fix it.

brock6051
11-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Wow, sounds like you hit the nail on the head! As far as I know, there was no front end work performed and the car was bought brand new with 0 miles on the odometer.

Have you ever heard of this problem in a new vehicle? Thank you so much for this information, I am going to print it out and keep it handy when I go back to the dealer. The "power steering angle sensor centering and software endstop learns redone," is a bit of a mouthful!

Thanks again!

Rob

brock6051
11-09-2013, 08:06 PM
One last question: Is there ever a circumstance where this inability to get the car centered is considered "normal" by the dealer? I don't want to end up with the dealer just telling me that this is the way the car is supposed to drive.

And again, if the car is brand new, is this a problem to be expected?

Thanks again buddy!

Rob

Rodents
11-09-2013, 08:38 PM
I can't recall ever seeing it on a new car, doesn't mean it can't happen though. So you're saying this has been like this since new? You just lived with it? Mighty tolerant person if that's the case.

I assume you understand road crown and that it is not your issue in your opinion. Letting go of the wheel and having it move one way or the other is normal due to road crown but it would be something you could duplicate on another similar vehicle too. If you take another '13 Malibu down the same road, does it do the same thing? I doubt you will find this to be the case here, I think you have an issue.

In the old days, if you did the over center adjustment too tight on a steering box, you lost the center of the steering box. The wheel would be right or left of center but there was no center. These late model electric racks are pretty good, or at least I haven't seen one bad yet in this respect, let's just say that.

You may very well have the dealer say this is normal. I haven't driven the car, I'm just going by your description, going by that I think there is an issue. If the shop foreman or service manager drives it and says it's normal, have them get another '13 Malibu off the lot and you drive it and see if it does the same thing as yours.

I think, going by your description, you have a calibration issue with the steering angle sensor for some reason. Hopefully the dealer scans the whole car for codes, even though there are no warning lights on by your description, it only takes a couple minutes to check. My next step would be to check for PSCM calibration updates, not all updates have bulletins to alert us as techs to the updates existence. The latest calibrations are an absolute must anymore when problems arise. We fix quite a bit with calibration updates alone sometimes. After checking/updating the PSCM calibrations as required, I'd do the relearns I spoke of in my first post, then retest the car. If the problem still persists after that, I guess I'd do a quick alignment check and then maybe a call to Technical Assistance from there to see if there are any other cases of this type of thing.

It is absolutely not normal from what you describe, nor should it be expected. Still, not everything is always perfect right off the assembly line either. One way or the other you need to address this though. Good luck.

brock6051
11-09-2013, 09:39 PM
Rodents,

I work from home, and this car is driven little. Since April, I have put a fewer than 4,000 miles on the car. So, this car has never really been thoroughly tested. I did notice this problem last week when driving on a newly paved I-495 here in Massachusetts. This problem is really only noticeable on an almost perfectly flat road with little or no crown or curves. Otherwise it drives fair to poor. This is because on road surfaces that are other than perfect, you detect that SOMETHING is wrong - but it is not obvious what. The car won't center, but the driver assumes it is due to road imperfections.

I should also point out that the steering on this car is exceptionally light and sensitive and will exaggerate any defects on the roadway. In my opinion, I would not be able to use this car as a daily commuter driver. The steering is just too sensitive and if the driver takes his eye off of the road even for a second or two - to perhaps adjust the MyLink system, which requires more than a glimpse to get something done - the car will wander out from under you and require a correction. Possibly this is related to the problem I have been speaking with you about, but the steering is definitely not tuned right for this car.

But I will say this: This steering problem is one of those subtle defects that - when it made its debut - really pissed me off. It would seem that a car with a $26K sticker price would not have a problem like this.

Maybe it's just me, but if this was a broken power window motor or something similar, I would have been much more sympathetic. But this is a fundamental issue impacting its handling capabilities. It just speaks to slipshod engineering and/or quality control practices that should not be present, in my opinion anyway. When I bought the car it had 0 miles on the odometer and the protective plastic sheeting was still on the seats. It should be perfect and if not perfect, it should be close to that. Little things are understandable, but the steering being screwed up? I don't think so. It's a fundamental problem.

Anyway, thanks again, you gave me a starting point with regards to the dealer that I can use to approach the issue from.

Best,

Rob

chevyorange
11-12-2013, 11:11 PM
My car has developed this. Centered and hands off tracks straight. When I need to correct there seems a dead spot with a slight bump when correcting.

Was going to have it looked at next service but may sooner.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-13-2013, 06:53 AM
brock6051,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. If you would like for us to reach out to your dealership, please let me know. You can private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Rodents
11-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I've been working on some '14 Malibu's for a recall for the HVAC system and for the heck of it I checked to see if there were PSCM updates and there are, but there is no explanation of what, if anything is addressed. I haven't driven one for this kind of concern, and I haven't had any real behind the wheel time with one so I have to assume your description is accurate and that it would not be present on a similarly equipped car. That said, it can't hurt to update the PSCM calibrations and perform the calibration procedures to see if that fixes the issue. I haven't had a '13 in my bay to see if the PSCM calibrations are the same as for '14 and have been updated. It may be hard to convince some dealers to program the PSCM unless you get the car to a tech that has the same thought process I do.

jmz768
11-15-2013, 03:00 PM
My car has developed this. Centered and hands off tracks straight. When I need to correct there seems a dead spot with a slight bump when correcting.

I've noticed the same thing on my car. Sometimes when I'm driving straight and make a very slight movement of the steering wheel to the right, I can feel a slight bump that requires some slight additional force to get past. I don't feel it when doing the same thing to the left, and it's not present all the time. It's a lot more noticeable when I'm gripping the wheel very lightly, usually with just a few fingers.

nutcrunch
11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
I have felt that little bump or notch in the steering as well. Only happened one time during an over 100 mile highway drive.
It felt like if I tried to slightly turn the wheel to correct then I would hit a small little notch or something. Kind of annoying but then on the way home driving 100 miles again I didn't feel it and I haven't ever again, although the wife mainly drives the car.

Bodyslide
11-15-2013, 03:44 PM
I guess you can add me for this issue. It started about a month ago. I feel the little bump as it's called every few minutes while driving. Will need to get it check once I take it in.

jmz768
11-15-2013, 04:33 PM
I guess you can add me for this issue. It started about a month ago. I feel the little bump as it's called every few minutes while driving. Will need to get it check once I take it in.

I'd like to get mine looked at, but I'm almost certain that it would be one of those "could not duplicate" issues. I'm hoping it's something that will result in a bulletin or recall in the coming months so I don't have to deal with the dealership claiming that nothing's wrong.

Considering there are multiple people reporting similar problems, this would be a good one for our friendly Chevy reps to run up the chain.

Clinto
11-15-2013, 07:08 PM
I had the same issue with mine too. I just got it fixed today as a matter of fact. I brought it to my dealer and was prepared to argue a bit if needed as it doesn't do it all the time and the feeling can be vague sometimes.. And quite scary at others..

My dealer said this was the 2nd Malibu that week with the issue. They didn't even bother to test drive it. They just ordered the parts and scheduled me in.

The dealer went so far as to say; looks like Chevy has a problem here with these Malibu's.

I'm fully expecting a recall to come out shortly as this is nothing to mess around with it. I'm assuming the delay is caused by the expense of fixing as I don't think it's cheap..

jmz768
11-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I had the same issue with mine too. I just got it fixed today as a matter of fact. I brought it to my dealer and was prepared to argue a bit if needed as it doesn't do it all the time and the feeling can be vague sometimes.. And quite scary at others..

My dealer said this was the 2nd Malibu that week with the issue. They didn't even bother to test drive it. They just ordered the parts and scheduled me in.

The dealer went so far as to say; looks like Chevy has a problem here with these Malibu's.

I'm fully expecting a recall to come out shortly as this is nothing to mess around with it. I'm assuming the delay is caused by the expense of fixing as I don't think it's cheap..

What parts are they replacing?

matthpd195
11-16-2013, 12:38 AM
I've noticed the same thing on my car. Sometimes when I'm driving straight and make a very slight movement of the steering wheel to the right, I can feel a slight bump that requires some slight additional force to get past. I don't feel it when doing the same thing to the left, and it's not present all the time. It's a lot more noticeable when I'm gripping the wheel very lightly, usually with just a few fingers.

Had the same issue with my Eco 2SA at about 12k miles. Started out a slight sticking on the highway, then gradually got worse. Took it to the dealer & they replaced the steering rack, all was well after that.

I'm now at 22k miles & the issue is starting to creep up again. Will be taking it back to the dealer again to have them look at it.

Also sounds like we may be getting another recall for our Malibus on some rear defogger issues & possible seat wiring fires.

jmz768
11-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Had the same issue with my Eco 2SA at about 12k miles. Started out a slight sticking on the highway, then gradually got worse. Took it to the dealer & they replaced the steering rack, all was well after that.

I'm now at 22k miles & the issue is starting to creep up again. Will be taking it back to the dealer again to have them look at it.

It's very troubling that you've had the same issue twice. Sounds like they're dealing with some bad parts from a supplier and even though they know there's an issue, they're still receiving defective replacement parts.

matthpd195
11-16-2013, 12:39 PM
The thing that struck me odd when I took it in at 12k for the steering issue. The dealer drove my car & came back out to me about 20-30 minutes later saying that I needed a new steering rack & they had the parts on order.

I was basically expecting a series of visits & them trying different parts to get it fixed. I wasn't really expecting them to say I needed a rack right out of the gate since it was a $1500 part.

I was happy at first that they were so quick to fix the issue, but now it seems as if they really already knew what my problem was & replaced the defective part with the identical defective part.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-17-2013, 02:31 PM

Hi Bodyslide,

Sorry to hear that you've also noticed this issue with your vehicle steering system. If you decide to have your Malibu checked by your dealership please let us know, as we'd also like the opportunity to speak with them further regarding your concerns. If there is anything we can assist with, please feel free to private message us.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

jmz768
11-18-2013, 10:42 AM
I spent the weekend trying to duplicate the issue and wasn't able to do so. I tried at high and low speeds and even while sitting still. I really hope Chevy acknowledges this as an issue and releases a recall or at least a TSB so I don't have to do the usual back and forth with the dealer claiming "could not duplicate".

chevyorange
11-22-2013, 03:21 AM
So I have a 2SA bought in late February and just now clicking 8k miles have I started this.

It is most pronounced at highway speeds and my biggest fear is that only drivers who are extra sensitive may notice this issue. My 2nd biggest fear is that on a longer than average straight I could envision this behavior being mistaken externally for drunk driving, as even knowing the problem, a driver cannot make the car drive straighter. In other words this issue is insurmountable.

This is my second GM car with magnetic steering, the previous being a 2008 Chevy HHR that I put ~40,000 miles on. That car had flawless, razor sharp steering. Of course it had 50 series rubber which my more grown up, smooth, better riding Malibu.

jmz768
11-22-2013, 06:37 AM
I think I've finally figured out how to duplicate the issue. It only seems to pop up when I'm driving on long stretches of straight road. It's like the wheel gets sort of locked into that position and then when you make a slight correction, you can feel the resistance. Once I get past the bump, it's fine until I go a certain distance in a straight line again.

I'm one of those people that drives with only a finger or two on the wheel when cruising down long stretches of straight road, so it's very easy for me to feel the resistance when I attempt a minor steering correction.

brock6051
11-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Yes, it's really only obvious when you're on a long stretch of straight, smooth pavement. That's the problem I was having with my Malibu. I took it back to the dealer, who sent a technician to come out and test drive it with me, and of course the problem did not occur. After the drive, he brought it into a service bay and I waited about an hour to have him tell me he could find nothing wrong. There were also no software updates.

I agree with chevyorange regarding the steering making it appear as if you're driving erratically, which could lead to problems with the police. The fact that this is just something that I more or less had to deal with was unacceptable. Other issues with the car including a so-so ride, a somewhat cramped interior which is rather deceptively designed to seem larger than it actually is, XM radio that would frequently cut out, and some external styling features (those tailights!) that I really had to learn to like all contributed to the decision to trade the car in after just six months.

So last weekend I visited a different dealer and bought a '14 Impala LT. Beautiful car, couldn't be more happy with it. The gas mileage with the 6 cylinder engine is not nearly as good as the Malibu, but there is no other problems. The deal I got was fair, but it will cost you to do a trade in so soon. I really didn't have a choice. The Malibu was just not the right car for me. It wasn't the worst car I have ever owned, but it wasn't far from that either. The steering problem was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

I would suggest to anyone having this problem to bring a tech to the exact stretch of pavement where you experienced the problem. Best of luck to you!

Rob

jmz768
11-22-2013, 04:18 PM
There's nothing more frustrating than knowing there's a problem with your vehicle, only to be told "could not duplicate".

I've got my eye on the 2015 Colorado and might just stick it out for now and ditch this car next fall.

bowl
11-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Hello all,

I've bought my Malibu last year (08/2012) and since that feels like my car has same problem as above written from time to time.

Unfortunately I am from Czech Republic and my Malibu is originally from South Korea (Chevrolet "global" politics) :)

My car dealer told me the same thing - did not found anything wrong but i know that problem exist in the same situations (long straight road)

I have another one issue: Steering problem appears to me (fortunately) only in a bit cold weather conditions as they are just now => I mean about 37 to 46F (3 to 8 C). No problem in winter (with temperatures below freezing-point) nor in summer (46F up).

Does anyone has a same opinion/problem?

PS: please excuse my english - I am not an american guy :D

Bodyslide
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
My brother drove my car for a few hours, He use to work for a tire shop here in Atlanta. He said it felt like my alignment was off. So I took it to my local tire shop and got an alignment. The back left tire was off quite a bit. So far after 10 miles I haven't felt it at all. I will be taking a 5 hr trip tomorrow so will report back after. Thanks

chevyorange
12-06-2013, 04:07 PM
My dealership reset the steering "soft points". When I get my paperwork back I'll get the more precise term.

Adam

chevyorange
12-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Ok, so, I got my 2SA back and even though they could not duplicate after 20 miles of driving they "reset the soft spots" in the steering software if that sounds right.

1. If I got it from memory wrong, I'll look it up proper on the paperwork.

2. I can't imagine in any world where they couldn't have felt it! I'd expect a tech and a service advisor would have a feel for these things. Three people drove and and all said they couldn't feel it.

3 people! It wasn't intermittent either, I drove 400 miles the weekend before and was afraid I was going to get pulled over for drink driving the way I had to push though that dead spot.

First, one needs to correct from straight to just make a minor correction to the right on the freeway. VERY minor! So, as we are all excellent drivers here one puts a slight deft touch on the wheel and nobody in the car even knows you took corrective measures.

Except in my case that deft touch to the right was if there was a bump to roll over in the gear and that whole bump was also a dead spot. So, when pushing through it instead of a deft touch, the car would jerk noticeably to the right, of course.

I'm glad they reset the steering and it appears to have fixed the problem. I'm ultra disappointed that it was bucked by a tech and test drivers. Just say yeah we felt it and this is what we did to fix it.

Now, for the first time ever at my dealership, I have a shadow of a doubt as to their motives. Does admitting one felt an actual problem hurt GM? I have no insiders so I don't have the answer to that. But if the "not feeling it but knowing a silver bullet for fixing it" is a deliberate move to try to make it look like the driver is paranoid and "we just took the liberty of resetting it anyway even though we saw and felt no need to," makes me wonder. If only they'd treat my MyLink headaches with such decisive action!

Either that or I should've been a surgeon as I have delicate feeling in my hands.... The only problem there is my mother was with me in the car and she's not a back seat driver and noticed it in the seat of her pants. That's bad.

Dfusc1
12-10-2013, 07:52 PM
I thought I was crazy the first time I felt this happen on my 2013 LS but it seems to happen periodically out of the blue. I was going to ask that it be checked out at my next service but now that I see others experiencing the same issue it will definitely be on the list to be fixed. I would describe it as a stiff spot that you have to tug the steering wheel out of. It only happens occasionally so it will be hard to duplicate at a service appt.

Bodyslide
12-10-2013, 09:00 PM
even after the alignment, it still does it. not as bad but it's still there. Will be taking it to the dealer at some point and will take the inof from this thread to help them along.

DrivenDaily
12-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Don'tcha just love new technology that doesn't work like it should?

It would seem to me that things as critically important as steering and brakes should be tested to exhaustion before they can be installed on any vehicle. Sure, that'd raise the price but don't we already pay for crash testing to ensure they're safe during impacts and rollovers?

jmz768
12-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Maybe it's just coincidence, but I haven't had any problems with mine since the temperatures have dropped. It's been below 30 degrees around here for the past week or so and I've not been able to duplicate the issue. I wonder if this could be caused by expansion and contraction of metal components as the temperature changes.

Bodyslide
12-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Ok, so, I got my 2SA back and even though they could not duplicate after 20 miles of driving they "reset the soft spots" in the steering software if that sounds right.

1. If I got it from memory wrong, I'll look it up proper on the paperwork.

2. I can't imagine in any world where they couldn't have felt it! I'd expect a tech and a service advisor would have a feel for these things. Three people drove and and all said they couldn't feel it.

3 people! It wasn't intermittent either, I drove 400 miles the weekend before and was afraid I was going to get pulled over for drink driving the way I had to push though that dead spot.

First, one needs to correct from straight to just make a minor correction to the right on the freeway. VERY minor! So, as we are all excellent drivers here one puts a slight deft touch on the wheel and nobody in the car even knows you took corrective measures.

Except in my case that deft touch to the right was if there was a bump to roll over in the gear and that whole bump was also a dead spot. So, when pushing through it instead of a deft touch, the car would jerk noticeably to the right, of course.

I'm glad they reset the steering and it appears to have fixed the problem. I'm ultra disappointed that it was bucked by a tech and test drivers. Just say yeah we felt it and this is what we did to fix it.

Now, for the first time ever at my dealership, I have a shadow of a doubt as to their motives. Does admitting one felt an actual problem hurt GM? I have no insiders so I don't have the answer to that. But if the "not feeling it but knowing a silver bullet for fixing it" is a deliberate move to try to make it look like the driver is paranoid and "we just took the liberty of resetting it anyway even though we saw and felt no need to," makes me wonder. If only they'd treat my MyLink headaches with such decisive action!

Either that or I should've been a surgeon as I have delicate feeling in my hands.... The only problem there is my mother was with me in the car and she's not a back seat driver and noticed it in the seat of her pants. That's bad.

Any chance you can scan the work order, so I can ask for whatever you had completed? Thanks

chevyorange
12-13-2013, 12:11 AM
Bodyslide,

“Perform Stering System Soft Spot Reset”.

After that “Check Steering wheel sensor calibration OK.”

I’d say that it eliminated about 98% of the problem but I can still feel the center of the driving mechanism when centered. And I’ll take that... perhaps the new generation of steering just is like that. My magnetic/electric? steering on my 08 was as razor sharp as this Malibu is.. But the dealer said this generation of steering is different than the 08.

Hope this helps?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-13-2013, 12:56 PM
BodySlide,

Please keep us updated on your status. If you need any assistance while at the dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Bodyslide
12-13-2013, 02:40 PM
I have an appt for tomorrow morning, in the online appt booking, I linked them to here to show the issues we all are having. Will let you know what happens next.

Bodyslide
12-14-2013, 08:54 AM
printed out this entire thread and gave it to the service writer. Asked him to make sure the tech got the info. he said if they can't duplicate the issue they can't diagnosis the problem. I pointed out the fix with the steering points, so hopefully they will do it. if not this will be the first visit and I will start the lemon law process if needed.

brock6051
12-15-2013, 01:24 AM
All of you experiencing this problem have my sympathy as well as admiration. This is an intermittent problem and it was impossible for me to replicate it for the dealer's service department. I threw in the towel relatively early on, trading the Malibu in for the Impala after six months.

GM is lucky that I bought another Chevy after this experience. Only owing to the fact that I was personal friends with an employee of another dealer did I buy another Chevrolet after the Malibu. I will say this much - the Impala is a totally different car from the Malibu. It is a much more refined car with far better ride dynamics than Malibu's. The electrically assisted power steering (which is similar to that of the Malibu's) is vastly improved, with no dead spots. It is much easier to drive this car, partly because the steering is not nearly as sensitive as that of the Malibu.

So why did I buy the Malibu? Well, last April when I bought it, there were very few Impalas on dealer lots, and the the newly redesigned Malibu was being touted as the new best thing from Chevy. I had also some pre-conceived, incorrect notions regarding the Impala. The first was that it was out of my price point. That turned out to be wrong because the Impala is, for its price, and exceptionally good value and compares well to a BMW or Audi, both of with cost much more. So, I didn't even bother to test drive the Impala. I was more or less focused on the Malibu before even stepping foot onto the lot. This was my first mistake. It's classic tunnel vision and led to a debacle that was an educational experience for me. I didn't do enough research on the Malibu to have justified being laser-focused on it basically to the exclusion of other models.

At any rate, I figured i couldn't go wrong, after all, the Malibu was a brand new car. I really thought that a new car would not have problems. This was my second mistake, because they certainly can have problems- big problems. Then I test drove it for only about 30 minutes. Third mistake. Always drive one for at least a couple of hours, and take it on the highway and learn about what it can do.

My fourth mistake was the biggest one of them all. I failed to trust that "inner voice" when making this decision. For example I knew I had reservations regarding the car's exterior styling. The "Camaro-like" tail lights were questionable, to say the least. I knew the 4-cylinder engine was too slow, and I knew that the interior seemed smallish and cramped... but the incentives and the great deal I was getting on he trade-in got in the way of fully recognizing these issues as the deal breakers they were.

Here is why this was my biggest mistake: If you don't go with your gut feeling and ignore that "inner voice," you will find yourself hyper-sensitive to any other problems after you drive away. In my case, although the steering was a major issue that anyone should get corrected, I found that eventually pretty much everything about the car sucked, from the side view mirrors that were too small to the carpeting that was too thin. I turned into the car's biggest critic. This is finding fault with the car when basically I had only myself to blame. I never should have bought the car in the first place. I am something of a "car enthusiast" and few things are as bad for a car guy as the feeling of being trapped in a car with years' of payments ahead. So I had to make the costly decision of correcting this error. Having said that, I am very happy with the Impala and only wished I had bought this car instead of the Malibu back in April.

I would be remiss if I did not add in closing that the Malibu has some good points and I don't mean to disparage anyone who likes it. This is intended as generally instructive to anyone purchasing any new vehicle. I hope to save you from making the same mistakes I did.

DrivenDaily
12-15-2013, 08:19 AM
Well written. If I ever buy another new car I'll consider the Impala for the V6 if nothing else. But I'll also be looking at the Taurus and other vehicles. I don't want to suffer from tunnel vision, either.

jmz768
12-15-2013, 02:18 PM
BodySlide,

Please keep us updated on your status. If you need any assistance while at the dealership, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

It would be a huge help if you would notify your employer that there is apparently a huge, potentially life threatening problem with the 2013 Malibu. I appreciate that your here, but your generic "let me know if I can be of help" isn't really doing us any good.

I've contacted my dealer, and Chevy customer service and they are saying that they're not aware of any issues. Perhaps if you forwarded this thread to the right people, it would be looked into.

No offense intended, it's just frustrating that there is obviously a problem and we're not able to get any solid information out of Chevy.

Bodyslide
12-15-2013, 03:00 PM
I took a copy of the thread with me. They reset the steering. Since they couldn't duplicate the issue. So far no issues, I will be able to tell more tomorrow when I drive back and forth to work.

BarryG
12-16-2013, 02:17 AM
. Then I test drove it for only about 30 minutes. Third mistake. Always drive one for at least a couple of hours, and take it on the highway and learn about what it can do.

What dealers let you take 2 hour test drives??? 30 minutes is even on the long side. "Hi, I don't know if I want this car or not, but I'd like to take it out for a 2 hour test drive if that's OK?" :confused:

I found that eventually pretty much everything about the car sucked, from the side view mirrors that were too small to the carpeting that was too thin. I turned into the car's biggest critic.

I agree the steering issue is a problem. And I hope I don't see it on my '14LT.
But compared to other cars in its class, the Malibu isn't much different. Carpet too thin?? Unless you're shelling out Lexus money, all carpets are cheap and thin. For $120, you can get a pair of super plush Lloyd's car mats which are nicer than what you'll find in any Mercedes. The side view mirrors are a bit small I guess but they've never bothered me.

I actually considered the Impala before the Malibu but since it's only me driving the car most of the time, I didn't want something as massive as the Impala.

But if your gut told you not to get the Malibu initially, yup you should have listened. But I love the way the Malibu drives and it feels plenty roomy to me and never lacking in power.

SilverSport
12-16-2013, 04:45 AM
not being happy with your purchase is an easy way to make you critical of things you wouldn't normally be critical of...like being critical of buying a first year car (2013 Malibu) but going and buying a first year car (2014 Impala)...I hope you're happy with your new purchase as that's what IS important...

Bill

jmz768
12-16-2013, 08:48 AM
BRB going to check my carpet thickness. If it's not at least 1/4", there's going to be hell to pay.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-16-2013, 09:05 AM
jmz768,

I certainly understand how you and many of our customers feel. Even if you choose not to go into the dealership for this concern, we would still like to document your concerns. This way we can look further into each case. I appreciate your response, and would like to do what I can to address the concern.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

BarryG
12-16-2013, 10:00 AM
BRB going to check my carpet thickness. If it's not at least 1/4", there's going to be hell to pay.

LOL!! In all seriousness, I had Lloyd's mats in one of my cars before. And those things were beyond plush. The carpet on those mats was far nicer than than the one in my condo. They also weigh about twice as much as normal mats.

nutcrunch
12-16-2013, 03:28 PM
Don't worry jmz768, Chevrolet Customer Service is on your concern. :D

Sometimes reading the forum makes me feel like we got lucky with our car. We loved the looks and couldn't wait to get one. We grabbed the first one we could find and we have been loving it for over a year and a half now with no real problems (except the wrong door rods being installed from the factory which was fixed by the dealer).
We both love the power it has, especially for an ECO model, and the gas mileage is close to advertised in the city and exactly as advertised on the highway. It is mainly me and the wife and sometimes the 2 small grand kids riding in the car so the roominess is fine.

Like I said I felt the weird little steering notch once when driving a long stretch of road but it never felt dangerous, just like a little notch in the middle of steering. I have never felt it again after that time and my wife has never complained of it so maybe we haven't experienced the same thing this thread is about.

Bodyslide
12-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Drove it to work. Issue is still there. It's not as bad as it was before. If I have to I'll take it back to the dealer every few months to get it reprogrammed. in the man time I guess it's one of those things I will just have to learn to expect and just live with it.

chevyorange
12-18-2013, 07:32 AM
Yeah, drove car this weekend and while it hasn't resorted to the frightening abomination before they reset stuff, that dead spot/area of push through is more pronounced.

I'm gonna jack the air up in the tires to see if that helps but I think not.

I'd hate to trade or lemon this car but I enjoy driving and the constant correction while keeping it "in the lines" tonight reminded me of my 62 Impala with a 6" dead spot in the center, I'm see-sawing way too much and again getting to a point the car jerks to the right.

I'm not frightened to drive it yet but I am afraid to get called out by passengers or other drivers for what appears to be erratic control.

jmz768
12-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Not to be a drama queen, but I've found myself thinking about ditching my Malibu and going with something else. Right now it's just a thought, but if this goes on much longer without Chevy having a damn clue what's going on, I can see myself following through.

Koebot
12-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Wow! Joust noticed this thread. The past couple of weeks I thought I was feeling the same thing but was in denial. My car has just under 10k miles and I've only noticed it during highway driving.

Dfusc1
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM
I was on a long drive the other day and playing the "is it still there" game noticed if your speed is about 50 MPH and you drive straight ahead w/o moving the wheel at all you get the stiff spot in the wheel when you then try to gently turn the wheel. Try it in yours and see what happens.

Koebot
12-20-2013, 08:23 AM
I was on a long drive the other day and playing the "is it still there" game noticed if your speed is about 50 MPH and you drive straight ahead w/o moving the wheel at all you get the stiff spot in the wheel when you then try to gently turn the wheel. Try it in yours and see what happens.

Exactly what I'm experiencing. I don't notice a dead spot it just feels as if the steering is getting a little "sticky". Not a good feeling. Speed doesn't seem to be a factor. It's when the wheel is one spot for more than a moment. Highway driving is where it's most noticeable because it's when the wheel is mostly centered.

Bodyslide
12-20-2013, 02:46 PM
too bad we can't hook the car up to a computer to look at the steering specs and see what we can tweak it ourselves to try and figure it out. It's almost like the tolerence on the steering is just off by alittle.

c&wsinbad
12-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Bought 2LTZ late October; presently has 2700 miles on it--700 yesterday and today as we are driving from Texas to Utah for Christmas. Today I noticed a slight "stickiness" in steering as I would move from center. Conditions at time: temperature between 30 and 40 degrees, driving on straight,level roads--interstate and four-lane, at speeds 45 mph and higher. Mentioned it to my wife as she was driving, but she drives with a little heavier touch and she didn't notice it. Found this thread and was surprised to find my conditions described perfectly! I'll have to monitor closely during tomorrow's drive and then determine whether to take to a Utah dealer or wait until we return to Texas. So far it is an annoyance, but would hate for it to be more significant. (And ugghhh to the thought of replacing the steering rack on a 2-month old car with less than 3000 miles.):mad::(:eek:

chevyorange
12-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Yeah. Jeez. I'm a GM man and this is disheartening.

Broknrail
12-30-2013, 06:46 PM
I spent the weekend trying to duplicate the issue and wasn't able to do so. I tried at high and low speeds and even while sitting still. I really hope Chevy acknowledges this as an issue and releases a recall or at least a TSB so I don't have to do the usual back and forth with the dealer claiming "could not duplicate".

I am having the same problem with my '13 LTZ. It's been with me since
about 7k miles and I'm now at 10k. It only appears on long straight
stretches and usually above 60 mph. I actually work for the dealership
driving dealer trades, and I've asked the service advisor to look through
the bulletins and see if he can find anything relating to the problem before
I go through the "can't duplicate" routine. I'm hoping it will be a simple
pscm update, but my luck usually doesn't run that good. In my position I
get to drive virtually everything Chevrolet makes, many times on 200 or
300 mile trips, and I've never run across this on another vehicle. If the guys are able to come up with anything useful I will be sure to report
back.

jmz768
12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
I am having the same problem with my '13 LTZ. It's been with me since
about 7k miles and I'm now at 10k. It only appears on long straight
stretches and usually above 60 mph. I actually work for the dealership
driving dealer trades, and I've asked the service advisor to look through
the bulletins and see if he can find anything relating to the problem before
I go through the "can't duplicate" routine. I'm hoping it will be a simple
pscm update, but my luck usually doesn't run that good. In my position I
get to drive virtually everything Chevrolet makes, many times on 200 or
300 mile trips, and I've never run across this on another vehicle. If the guys are able to come up with anything useful I will be sure to report
back.

Good to hear that we have someone on the inside.

Broknrail
12-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Don't know if I'm on the inside or not; guess I'll find out. Lol. The guys back there are
pretty good though, and if they can figure it out they will. So far they haven't run
across this problem but it's probably like someone back up the line said: This is such
a weird thing to have happen no one will believe us. And no doubt it will be a devil
to duplicate.

jmz768
12-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Don't know if I'm on the inside or not; guess I'll find out. Lol. The guys back there are
pretty good though, and if they can figure it out they will. So far they haven't run
across this problem but it's probably like someone back up the line said: This is such
a weird thing to have happen no one will believe us. And no doubt it will be a devil
to duplicate.

There's enough people here complaining about the same thing that it should catch somebody's eye if the right people were made aware of it.

We have the Chevy customer service reps here, but all they seem to be good for in their canned responses.

matthpd195
12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
I have an appointment Friday for oil change, tire rotation & a small list of other small issues with my Malibu. One being the steering issue that i had posted previously about. The dealer replaced the steering rack at 12K & the issue is coming back now at 25K.

I'll post my results when i get it back.

Broknrail
12-31-2013, 05:32 AM
Yes jmz, I have noticed that. lol

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-31-2013, 06:43 AM
Broknrail,

Be sure to keep us posted on your concern. If you are able to duplicate the concern, we can certainly reach out to your dealership for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Broknrail
12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Broknrail,

Be sure to keep us posted on your concern. If you are able to duplicate the concern, we can certainly reach out to your dealership for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Thanks for the offer Erica. I think maybe it would be more helpful for you
to reach out to Chevrolet engineering and relate these posts to them so
hopefully they can come up with a solution and issue a bulletin that the
dealerships can work from. This problem will in all likelyhood be extremely
difficult to duplicate during a 10 or 12 minute test drive. It is both intermittent
and elusive, as can be attested to by those of us who are experiencing it.
If and when my problem is solved I will surely advise the findings on this
forum. Meanwhile I have asked my service dept. to review service bulletins
on the off chance that something is already out there. It's only been a couple
of days and they have not gotten back to me yet. I will be following every one elses progress and keep you all updated on my own. Thanks again. John

Bodyslide
12-31-2013, 03:03 PM
when I got my car back from them test driving it, they only drove mine a total of 2 miles.

Broknrail
01-01-2014, 07:13 AM
Bodyslide - did they find anything?

Bodyslide
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
Couldn't reproduce anything. They reprogrammed something, But it came back the next day. SO no solutions.

jmz768
01-01-2014, 03:00 PM
Just when I think mine might be getting better, it pops up again.

Bodyslide
01-01-2014, 04:18 PM
I know how you feel. I have tried one hand, 2 hands, hands at different positions and the dead spot is still there.

TenTwelve
01-01-2014, 10:19 PM

My car just recently started doing this. At about center it feels though at center there a tiny spot of resistance then it allows me to continuing correcting as normal. Happens in both directions of a turn.

Broknrail
01-02-2014, 01:56 PM
I would try it upside down in the seat steering with my toes if I thought it would
solve anything. lol. Still waiting on my service guy. They're behind with the hoilidays
and all. Hope to know something next week. Until then my wife can drive the Bu and
I'll drive my 2011 Silverado which has never been in the shop for anything.

2013MalibuGirl
01-02-2014, 06:05 PM
I had the same issue recently with my 2013 Malibu LS. It's the steering gear. Dealer replaced mine after a phone call to the GM Engineer. No issues since then. Had the same issue with my 2012 Cruze! Good luck!

Bodyslide
01-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Do you have the receipt to show us what was done? Thanks

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-03-2014, 09:03 AM
I had the same issue recently with my 2013 Malibu LS. It's the steering gear. Dealer replaced mine after a phone call to the GM Engineer. No issues since then. Had the same issue with my 2012 Cruze! Good luck!

Welcome to the CMF, 2013MalibuGirl. Thank you for sharing this information with other members. I am glad you were able to work with your dealer towards resolving this concern and since then your vehicle has been functioning properly. If you ever have any questions, please send us a private message so we can assist. You will be seeing Erica and Amber monitoring this forum, but I assist them as well.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the offer Erica. I think maybe it would be more helpful for you
to reach out to Chevrolet engineering and relate these posts to them so
hopefully they can come up with a solution and issue a bulletin that the
dealerships can work from. This problem will in all likelyhood be extremely
difficult to duplicate during a 10 or 12 minute test drive. It is both intermittent
and elusive, as can be attested to by those of us who are experiencing it.
If and when my problem is solved I will surely advise the findings on this
forum. Meanwhile I have asked my service dept. to review service bulletins
on the off chance that something is already out there. It's only been a couple
of days and they have not gotten back to me yet. I will be following every one elses progress and keep you all updated on my own. Thanks again. John

Hello John,

My name is Laura and I assist Erica on this forum. I understand when a vehicle concern is unable to be duplicated how frustrating it can be. I would like to document your concern within our system. If you send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealership name and location, we are more than happy to create a case for you. This will be documented in our system which can be accessed by multiple departments at General Motors.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care

jmz768
01-03-2014, 11:26 AM

Would you be able to get some more detailed information from your service rep? Anything would be a help at this point, since we're not getting anything out of Chevy. Hell, give me his name and number and I'll give him a call myself.

Bodyslide
01-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Would you be able to get some more detailed information from your service rep? Anything would be a help at this point, since we're not getting anything out of Chevy. Hell, give me his name and number and I'll give him a call myself. I agree with this 1000%.

Broknrail
01-03-2014, 04:14 PM
I agree with this 1000%.

Me as well. Malibugirl, would you be willing to share the name of your
dealership? Possibly our service people could contact them for more
information on how they handled the problem. Thanks, John

matthpd195
01-03-2014, 04:28 PM
I just returned from my dealer to pick up my Malibu.

Unfortunately they "could not duplicate" the issue so nothing was repaired.

I knew this might happen as the issue is intermittent. I spoke with the service advisor saying that this issue became worse over time & more frequent, at least that was my experience before they "fixed" it the last time by replacing my steering rack.

He seemed confident that this was not a safety issue & really wanted the problem to be existing and then bring it back to them before my warranty is up. He said that even if the warranty was out that the issue was well documented in their system & it would not be an issue to repair, at least once they can locate the problem part.

Currently I have 25,500 miles on the car & will keep an eye on it, assuming it will get worse. I live about 25 miles from my dealer & did not notice the issue on my way home today.

As for the electrical seat recall, they found my wiring to be fine & nothing needed to be added.

On a side note, they gave me a 2014 Malibu LT for a loaner car. The new front end is nice, but i'm much happier with my 2.4 eassist Eco. The 2.5 in the loaner seemed to rev a lot higher before shifting & therefore much noisier & not as refined as my Eco. Had that engine been the only option when I was purchasing & really don't think I would have bought the Mailbu at that time. I was coming from a 2005 Impala V6.

2013MalibuGirl
01-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Sure! They replaced the steering gear assembly. I believe this is the part # (13337583 - Gear). The work was completed by Kerry Chevrolet - Alexandria, KY on 12/03/13. Hope this helps!

jmz768
01-03-2014, 04:46 PM
Here's the part MalibuGirl had replaced. Makes sense that it would be what's causing the problem.

http://www.gmpartslink.com/oem-part/chevrolet/malibu-parts/2013/ltz/2-0l-l4-gas/steering/steering-gear-and-linkage/steering-gear/13337583

Bodyslide
01-03-2014, 04:48 PM
I sent a PM to the Chevy helpers here to see if they can arrange for my dealer to install the part.

jmz768
01-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I sent a PM to the Chevy helpers here to see if they can arrange for my dealer to install the part.

I just emailed Chevy asking for the same.

Broknrail
01-04-2014, 08:28 AM
Sure! They replaced the steering gear assembly. I believe this is the part # (13337583 - Gear). The work was completed by Kerry Chevrolet - Alexandria, KY on 12/03/13. Hope this helps!

Thanks girl. At least now we have a starting point. Please let us know if
the problem returns in the future. I hope yours turns out successfully.
Happy New Year! John

2013MalibuGirl
01-04-2014, 08:42 AM
You're very welcome guys! Hope this takes care of the problems you've been having. We Chevy folks have to stick together!! Have a great weekend!

Bodyslide
01-05-2014, 05:37 PM
here is what was done to my bu last month.

http://imageshack.com/a/img46/9786/ep29.jpg

chevyorange
01-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Reads like every issue I've ever had on my car that others have had.

I highly doubt we've all felt this in our heads!

Here is my result.

chevyorange
01-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Oh and we have something else we both brought our car in for. :)

SeaRay245se
01-06-2014, 02:30 AM
So basicly there saying because THEY can't feel it or find it,its not happening.Maybe ghost in the machine.Sometimes a 5 min test ride can not make the same things happen that a hour long ride can.

nutcrunch
01-06-2014, 03:51 AM
They don't have an hour to ride around though.
I can understand, sometimes people have problems with their computes I can't reproduce therefor I can't fix it.

DrivenDaily
01-06-2014, 04:45 AM
I agree - if ya can't find it ya can't fix it.

An option is for the customer to allow the shop manager or his trusted lead tech to take the car home as part of a test drive. That allows for real-world use that is more likely to lead to experiencing what the customer states they do.

SeaRay245se
01-06-2014, 01:27 PM
They don't have an hour to ride around though.
I can understand, sometimes people have problems with their computes I can't reproduce therefor I can't fix it.

computes?LOL :D...I do agree that they don't have the time to ride around it would waste to much time.I have people come see me all the time that say there car does this and that but it when they bring it to me its not doing it and its hard to fix something you can not find that is broken.I guess what I am trying to say I can see both sides of it.

cyndy63
01-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Has anyone else tried this fix and had success yet? I am also experiencing this same issue on my 13 Malibu LT when driving from Ca to AZ. I want to make sure others are having the same luck as 2013MalibuGirl before I contact my dealer.

SeaRay245se
01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Neither of ours have done it yet.One at 20k and other around 10k and no problems with it yet.Knock on head(wood).

Bodyslide
01-09-2014, 06:37 PM
I have submitted a claim with the NHTSA for the steering issue. Looks like a few others are complaining as well. I guess I will start taking my car to the dealer once a month to let them attempt to duplicate it. Looks like there are 9 other cases.

Here is what I wrote:

At different speeds the steering will have some form of a dead spot in it. This started around 13000 and I now have over 20000 miles on it.You will attempt to go left or right and have to corrected the steering with alot more force than normal. This has occured at highway speeds as well as in city traffic. On 2 different occasions so far in city traffic, I have almost caused wrecks from the correction. My wife and I both have experienced these dead spots every single day that we drive the car. Took it in to the dealer to try and resolve the issue. But they were unable to recreate the issue. The dealer reprogrammed the steering angle and position sensor calibration. And no change. The dealer told me the vechile is equipped with an electric power steering system and is far more responsive to driver input. It appers to me that Chevy has a big issue with this yet will do nothing about it. On the Chevy Forum we have a thread that is over 10 pages long and growing with this same issue.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26489

Bodyslide
01-09-2014, 07:15 PM
Found this TSB on the NHTSA Page:

Service Bulletin No.: PI-0800-A
Component(s): STEERING NHTSA ID Number: 10050239

Vehicle MakeModelModel Year(s)BUICKLACROSSE2013BUICKREGAL2013CHEVROLETEQU INOX2013CHEVROLETMALIBU2013CHEVROLETVOLT2012GMCTER RAIN2013OPELAMPERA2013OPELINSIGNIA2013Details
0 Associated Documents Manufacturer: General Motors LLCSUMMARY:
BUICK/CHEVROLET/GMC/OPEL:

POWER STEERING ASSISTANCE MALFUNCTIONS WHILE EITHER TURNING LEFT OR RIGHT. MODELS 2012 OPEL AMPERA, VOLT, 2013 LACROSSE, REGAL, EQUINOX, MALIBU, TERRAIN, OPEL INSIGNIA. *PE UPDATED 08/1/2013 *JS UPDATED 11/25/2013 *JS

chevyorange
01-09-2014, 11:05 PM
I've got mine documented and am interested in seeing this one and where it goes.

jmz768
01-10-2014, 08:08 AM
I wrote a long, detailed email to Chevy customer support, including a link to this thread and suspect part. To be expected, I received a phone call from a rep speaking broken English telling me that I would need to take my car to the dealership.

I told him that I wasn't interested in doing that since there's a bout a .0001% chance of them not saying "could not duplicate". I asked that he pass the information up the chain of command in hopes that there are enough other people making the same complaint that Chevy finally takes notice.

Broknrail
01-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Me too. We've checked the service bulletins through the dealership but there's
nothing on this as of yet. Maybe this will get their attention. I'm holding off on taking
mine in hoping something will come out from GM. Mine isn't severe enough to be
considered dangerous (yet) so I think I will live with it a little longer rather than go
through the whole "can't duplicate" hassle.

c&wsinbad
01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm taking my Malibu in for the HVAC recall on Wednesday. I plan to discuss this steering issue with them at that time. Like most of you who have commented, I really don't expect any action on their part. Additionally, as several have observed, my symptoms disappeared when I returned to temperatures above 45 degrees. Therefore it will be difficult (impossible) for the dealer to duplicate unless we have another dose of winter weather here in central Texas. I'll keep you posted of my visit. As mentioned above, I'm convinced this has to be elevated into the management and engineering channels to get the attention required to resolve it.

TenTwelve
01-10-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm taking my Malibu in for the HVAC recall on Wednesday. I plan to discuss this steering issue with them at that time. Like most of you who have commented, I really don't expect any action on their part. Additionally, as several have observed, my symptoms disappeared when I returned to temperatures above 45 degrees. Therefore it will be difficult (impossible) for the dealer to duplicate unless we have another dose of winter weather here in central Texas. I'll keep you posted of my visit. As mentioned above, I'm convinced this has to be elevated into the management and engineering channels to get the attention required to resolve it.

What's with the HVAC recall you speak of?

nutcrunch
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
What's with the HVAC recall you speak of?

He has a 2014 Malibu. See this thread for more info
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26857&highlight=recall

2013MalibuGirl
01-11-2014, 02:43 PM
I can't help but feel a little angry for all of you. I went through hell when this steering issue happened in my 2012 Cruze...so much so that I had to open a case on it with GM Customer Care. Fortunately, I bought my 2013 Malibu from a different dealer with a different service philosophy and they listened to my concerns, drove the car and even though they "couldn't duplicate the issue" they were willing to call the GM Engineer and he instructed them to replace the steering gear assembly. It has been a month since the repair was made and my car handles like a dream....better than the day I drove it off the lot brand new, actually. Have your service folks call Kerry Chevrolet Service in Alexandria, KY. TOP NOTCH dealership and service dept.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-12-2014, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Broknrail (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=279890#post279890)Me too. We've checked the service bulletins through the dealership but there's
nothing on this as of yet. Maybe this will get their attention. I'm holding off on taking
mine in hoping something will come out from GM. Mine isn't severe enough to be
considered dangerous (yet) so I think I will live with it a little longer rather than go
through the whole "can't duplicate" hassle.

Hi Broknrail,

We understand your concerns with your vehicle steering, and most definitely want you to feel comfortable driving your vehicle. I understand that you do not plan on going to the dealership just yet. Just so you know, you can monitor all of your vehicle's service related announcements on the Chevrolet Owners Center website. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

my.chevrolet.com

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

chevyorange
01-12-2014, 04:36 PM
The worst thing for me is my dealership has a fantastic service department, and I still get that cannot duplicate.

It's frustrating to be someone who loves driving and cars and it's so obviously noticeable at highway speeds and to have two of their people drive it for a couple hours that day when I picked it up at night, and they said they could not feel a thing.

I just cannot imagine!

Good Chevrolet in Renton, WA is fantastic. The problem is systemic when they have to bump an issue up the chain. Their internal communication seems horrifically dysfunctional.

And online - emails go to a black hole.

Adam

Bodyslide
01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
I can't help but feel a little angry for all of you. I went through hell when this steering issue happened in my 2012 Cruze...so much so that I had to open a case on it with GM Customer Care. Fortunately, I bought my 2013 Malibu from a different dealer with a different service philosophy and they listened to my concerns, drove the car and even though they "couldn't duplicate the issue" they were willing to call the GM Engineer and he instructed them to replace the steering gear assembly. It has been a month since the repair was made and my car handles like a dream....better than the day I drove it off the lot brand new, actually. Have your service folks call Kerry Chevrolet Service in Alexandria, KY. TOP NOTCH dealership and service dept. I might just call them and take a vacation up there and see if they can fix mine.

jmz768
01-13-2014, 07:08 AM
Took my car in for an oil change over the weekend. Asked two service techs if they've had any complaints similar to mine and they said no. Not holding my breath on getting any kind of resolution soon.

Broknrail
01-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Good idea Bodyslide. If I wasn't so far away I would definitely consider doing that.

2013MalibuGirl
01-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Alexandria, KY is about 7 miles south of Cincinnati, so if you decide to come let me know and I can point you in the right direction for a hotel close by.

app7548
01-15-2014, 12:16 PM

My 2013 Mailbu does this exact same thing, we bought car new in March 2013 and thought maybe the steering was just stiff and needed to break-in, but now it appears to be getting worse. Just spoke with my dealer in Westminster, MD and service advisor has not heard about this problem.

Broknrail
01-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Alexandria, KY is about 7 miles south of Cincinnati, so if you decide to come let me know and I can point you in the right direction for a hotel close by.

Maybe we should all have a Malibu rally in Kentucky and get these darn
things fixed!! John

c&wsinbad
01-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Had my HVAC recall update completed today. While it was in, I discussed the steering issue with the service adviser. She stated this is the first they have heard of the issue in their service department. The tech checked the car and--surprise, surprise--could not duplicate it. I have been PMing the Chevy Customer Service on this forum--Amber and Erica--attempting to somehow get them to engage management or engineers to elevate this to a level that will force some attention toward resolving. So far I've gotten nothing but their "canned" response of "send contact info, VIN and dealership and we will reach out to your service manager." My service manager is not the problem; the problem we ALL face is that GM/Chevrolet are ignoring the issue. I guess since there have not been any documented accidents directly attributable to this issue, they are willing to play "ostrich head in the sand" and ignore. I get very frustrated with that approach! Any suggestions on the approach we take--individually or as a group? Personally, I would suggest we all PM the Customer Service reps that monitor these forums and let them see the magnitude of the problem.

chevyorange
01-15-2014, 08:42 PM
I can't possibly imagine we are the first and only owners to feel this. The steering was so sharp and smooth when new - I'm still surprised they reported back they felt nothing. I'd imagine a tech should have a better than average feel.

I suppose if the goal is to be unable to duplicate an issue, this is how one begins.

Bodyslide
01-16-2014, 12:32 PM
there are 11 cases on the nhtsa webpage . Everyone with the issue needs to make a case.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Maybe this issue has to be like the toyota issues, And a few Malibus need to be involved in a few major accidents caused by the over correction issue.

c&wsinbad
01-16-2014, 06:31 PM
I'm frustrated that GM reps won't even acknowledge that we have an issue. Steering and braking issues are safety issues. Blatantly ignoring them is irresponsible!

chevyorange
01-16-2014, 07:41 PM
Link doesn't work. I'll give Chevy the next service before I file a case.

Bodyslide
01-16-2014, 08:09 PM
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Try this one.

Sheracr
01-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Hi All,

I am a new member and have been reading this forum since I bought my Malibu (end of Sept.) I am glad I found it as I might have thought the little things I had noticed were just in my head. I too had the steering issues.

Yesterday I dropped off my Malibu to have the steering column replaced, and have the oil pump flow control valve replaced. Since this is my 4th or 5th time back to the dealership, they did not give me any crap about the steering. I just told them to Google it!

While I LOVE my Malibu, I am very dismayed at the problems I have had. 2 major repairs with less than 5,000 miles on the car is very concerning. I also think that since these repairs show on the service record, my resale / trade in value will be affected. I traded in a 2005 Tahoe Z71 which never had a single issue other than normal wear and tear.

I am crossing my fingers that this trip to the dealership will be my last until the next oil change! Thanks for sharing all your experiences and letting me vent! When I get my car back I will post an update.

jmz768
01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
My complaint has been filed, hopefully it does more good than complaining to Chevy customer service, or the reps on this board.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-17-2014, 11:19 AM
My 2013 Mailbu does this exact same thing, we bought car new in March 2013 and thought maybe the steering was just stiff and needed to break-in, but now it appears to be getting worse. Just spoke with my dealer in Westminster, MD and service advisor has not heard about this problem.

Hi app7548,

Welcome to CMF! I am sorry to hear of the steering concern you are experiencing with your Malibu. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. We are here to assist with vehicle inquiries and concerns, so don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Bodyslide
01-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Hi app7548,

Welcome to CMF! I am sorry to hear of the steering concern you are experiencing with your Malibu. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation. Please send us a private message that includes your full contact information, VIN and dealership name and location. We are here to assist with vehicle inquiries and concerns, so don't hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care
You should try and contact the dealer in Kentucky that has helped Malibugirl. Then contact all the others that are having the same issue to try and get it resolved with our dealers.

jmz768
01-17-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi app7548,

Regards,

Laura M.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Laura,

Are you allowed to engage in a conversation? If so, what we'd like to hear is that you've talked to somebody up your chain of command and made them aware of this issue. The canned responses you and the other customer service agents are giving are not only of no benefit, but are becoming very frustrating to see over and over again. I'd think you'd want to make your employer aware of the fact that there are a lot of angry people out there, and that they've taken to filing complaints with the NHTSA. Have you done anything like that?

Thanks

c&wsinbad
01-17-2014, 02:04 PM
I have voiced similar complaints and raised the same issue in PMs directly to the Customer Service agents here. Their response is that "management and corporate folks have visibility..." to these blog sites. Erica and Amber N. appear to be reluctant to "carry the water" and take the bad news upchannel. However, as we all know, bad news doesn't get better with time.

c&wsinbad
01-17-2014, 06:56 PM
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA (national Highway and Traffic Safety Administration) and would recommend that any of you who are experiencing this issue do the same.

chevyorange
01-17-2014, 09:56 PM
I don’t get the point of having anyone being paid to monitor these forums and STILL we’re being frustrated for the cost of zero people monitoring these.

Of course, they MAY be scurrying in the background - but knowing that is exactly what makes me a die hard of a few brands - I won’t mention here as I’m not here to start a brand war - but this wall of secrecy (probably because of LAWYERS) is not helping.

I’d rather get the “we know there’s an issue and we’re working on it” frustration than the “Wow, we’ve never heard of this before!”

There’s tens of thousands of Malibus sold every year, and a few hundred of us are car nuts enough to have found our way to this site - these big three or four issues are not isolated IMO.

It will be hard to turn my back on GM after this long - especially since they’re so close to becoming very very good again. I guess maybe the customer service/comm department is the last to get a complete make over. If they have already done so, they failed.

Adam

brock6051
01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
You should try and contact the dealer in Kentucky that has helped Malibugirl. Then contact all the others that are having the same issue to try and get it resolved with our dealers.
Have you considered calling the dealer yourself? They might be able to offer you a way to approach your local dealer that would result in something other than the old "we didn't see anything wrong" response. Possibly you could even get both service departments conferenced in on a call where they can discuss this.

c&wsinbad
01-18-2014, 02:23 PM
Very good suggestion. I'll call them Monday and see if they can lend some assistance in helping me get the right information to my service department. Even though I'm in Texas, a phone call is worth it. Thanks for the suggestion. That's more help than I've received from the Customer Service reps..

brock6051
01-18-2014, 03:55 PM
No problem! There is at least one dealer who fixed something so hopefully that will be a good starting point. Best of luck!

chevyorange
01-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Please report back!

Sheracr
01-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Semi Update

Tomorrow makes 1 week that the dealership has had my car replacing the steering column and the oil flow control valve. Maybe I will hear from them... who knows? However, Chevy Customer Care called me today, and after I voiced my concerns about the safety of the vehicle and loss of resale value due to the major repairs being done, they asked me what outcome I was looking for. I told them I no longer trusted the car and was pretty PO'd because I felt like I got a lemon. I told them I didn't want the car anymore. They said OK, they would contact the dealership to see what we could work out. Who knows what that means...

jmz768
01-20-2014, 08:58 PM
Semi Update

Tomorrow makes 1 week that the dealership has had my car replacing the steering column and the oil flow control valve. Maybe I will hear from them... who knows? However, Chevy Customer Care called me today, and after I voiced my concerns about the safety of the vehicle and loss of resale value due to the major repairs being done, they asked me what outcome I was looking for. I told them I no longer trusted the car and was pretty PO'd because I felt like I got a lemon. I told them I didn't want the car anymore. They said OK, they would contact the dealership to see what we could work out. Who knows what that means...

All that means is the dealer is going to try to sell you a different vehicle while claiming to be giving you a great deal for your trade.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-21-2014, 09:27 AM
Sheracr,

I am sorry you are having this concern. Please let me know if you would like for me to look into your case for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

jmz768
01-21-2014, 10:57 AM
Sheracr,

I am sorry you are having this concern. Please let me know if you would like for me to look into your case for you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

Have you or the other customer service reps here brought our collective concerns/complaints to the attention of Chevy/GM management? I'm not talking about contacting a dealer and letting them know you have somebody with an issue, I'm talking about the fact that there's a group of people with the same complaint, a complaint that they've begun filing NHTSA complaints over.

Sheracr
01-21-2014, 11:08 AM
All that means is the dealer is going to try to sell you a different vehicle while claiming to be giving you a great deal for your trade.
I figured that might be the case, but I will not pay a penny more than I have already paid. I will get a lawyer first!

Broknrail
01-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Sher if you don't mind my asking, where are you located in Kansas and who is your
dealer? (I'm a native Kansan). John

Sheracr
01-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Sher if you don't mind my asking, where are you located in Kansas and who is your
dealer? (I'm a native Kansan). John

I am just south of Wichita, but my dealership is Parks of Augusta. For the most part, they have been great. I had a few issues in the beginning with the service department not taking me seriously, and leaving my car dirty. But that is all resolved now.

kjb911
01-28-2014, 06:14 PM
We have had a few similar issues with a couple of Volts but no open cases of Malibu's...I do know for a fact that the EPAS was recalibrated and the rack changed slightly for the 14 model year along with the touted suspension improvements that came from the turbo. Let me talk to my service manager tomorrow morning and I will have a definite answer as he loves investigating these types of things

kjb911
01-29-2014, 07:31 AM
So talking to my service manager this morning and trying to figure out a few root causes, we couldn't come up with anything that would exactly pin down this issue. I just took our used 13 Eco 2SA we have on our lot and found nothing of comparison. There was a TSB that had a similarity to the issue where a bolt was loose on the 80amp Fuse box located in the engine bay but it would have caused the Service Power Steering Message. (maybe not?), he did say he had a similar problem with a demo 13 but it wasn't noticeable until you focused on the problem.

Honestly and I hate to say it, we came to the conclusion that is was just a problem with the design to begin with (my Focus has also a similar problem) and hence the redesign on the steering and front suspension (from other complaints) my 14 has a huge improvement to the steering in my opinion

I will keep everyone informed as we try and find a clue to the issue. I have my Service manager along with a few of the techs and myself researching.

nutcrunch
01-29-2014, 08:04 AM
See post #103 with a possible solution. Also at least one person with a 2014 Malibu has posted in here with the same problem.

bjoe222
01-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Have the same problem of the bump when steering right. The dealership says they can't get it ti happen. It happens to me every time I drive it any distance. What is the solution to this problem?

jmz768
01-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Have the same problem of the bump when steering right. The dealership says they can't get it ti happen. It happens to me every time I drive it any distance. What is the solution to this problem?

I'd go here ....

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml

and file a complaint. Chevy and their reps don't see to be concerned, so maybe we can get the NHTSA to take notice.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-29-2014, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by bjoe222 (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=290209#post290209)Have the same problem of the bump when steering right. The dealership says they can't get it ti happen. It happens to me every time I drive it any distance. What is the solution to this problem?
Hi bjoe222,

Very sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue, and that the dealership hasn't been able to recreate the problem. We'd like to document this concern within our system, and look more into this for you. If this interests you, please message us your full name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and the name/location of your dealership.

Thank you,

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

cyndy63
01-30-2014, 08:23 AM
I have filed a complaint with NHTSA in regards to this steering problem on my 2013 Malibu. Hopefully if enough of us do this someone will take notice and find a resolution.

chevyorange
01-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Just did mine.

Broknrail
01-31-2014, 07:25 AM
Just did mine.

Mine's done.:mad:

c&wsinbad
01-31-2014, 07:13 PM
I've lost total confidence in Amber as a Customer Service Rep. After sending my information to her, she has ignored every PM I've sent to her. Haven't has a response in almost two weeks, yet I see she continues to offer the same platitudes of..."send us your VIN, mileage, etc". What an empty ploy to appease us.

tradosaurus
01-31-2014, 08:42 PM
I know Erica has called my dealership to follow up on promises yet delivered.

DrivenDaily
02-01-2014, 05:46 AM
I've lost total confidence in Amber as a Customer Service Rep. After sending my information to her, she has ignored every PM I've sent to her. Haven't has a response in almost two weeks, yet I see she continues to offer the same platitudes of..."send us your VIN, mileage, etc". What an empty ploy to appease us.

I know Erica has called my dealership to follow up on promises yet delivered.

This is not what customer service means! I have forwarded your concerns to the CS team and asked for a reply.

BTW, the CS team started as a non-GM company contracted to keep tabs on what's going on but then changed to actual GM employees. They made the change without notifying our staff (Admins and Mods) and I've seen only a few positive comments about their efforts.

c&wsinbad
02-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Thanks for forwarding, DrivenDaily. I was beginning to wonder if my posts were falling into the bit-bucket. Thanks again.

tradosaurus
02-01-2014, 08:26 PM
This is not what customer service means! I have forwarded your concerns to the CS team and asked for a reply.

BTW, the CS team started as a non-GM company contracted to keep tabs on what's going on but then changed to actual GM employees. They made the change without notifying our staff (Admins and Mods) and I've seen only a few positive comments about their efforts.

Maybe I just have a way with women? ;)

jones
02-01-2014, 10:24 PM
I thought I was alone dealing with this crisis. I am experiencing the same thing with my 2012 chevy malibu. my car pulls alot to the right. I have brought this to the attention of a mechanic who works for chevy dealer "stated that its the roads here in GA" that theres nothing wrong with my steering. There is something wrong and chevy dealers need to correct this problem before something serious happen. I need some answers and problem need to be resolved.

brock6051
02-01-2014, 11:19 PM
I thought I was alone dealing with this crisis. I am experiencing the same thing with my 2012 chevy malibu. my car pulls alot to the right. I have brought this to the attention of a mechanic who works for chevy dealer "stated that its the roads here in GA" that theres nothing wrong with my steering. There is something wrong and chevy dealers need to correct this problem before something serious happen. I need some answers and problem need to be resolved.

That sounds more like an alignment problem. The steering problem that is being talked about here is specific to the 2013 model year, at least I think it is.

If your car pulls to the right and you can demonstrate it, take the mechanic out on a drive and show him what the car is doing... that will correct that all-too-familiar response of "I didn't see anything wrong." Good luck!

Phil1
02-02-2014, 12:58 PM
I am also having an issue with the steering. At highway speeds it seems to lock in the center position. you have to apply a lot of pressure to turn the steering wheel. It does not do this when going slow. This malubu is also a 2013

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-02-2014, 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by jones (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=292106#post292106)I thought I was alone dealing with this crisis. I am experiencing the same thing with my 2012 chevy malibu. my car pulls alot to the right. I have brought this to the attention of a mechanic who works for chevy dealer "stated that its the roads here in GA" that theres nothing wrong with my steering. There is something wrong and chevy dealers need to correct this problem before something serious happen. I need some answers and problem need to be resolved.

Hi jones,

We're glad that you've already made your dealership aware of your steering concerns, and can imagine how frustrating this must be for you. We would like to document this matter within our system. Can you please private message us your VIN, mileage, and contact information? We look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

c&wsinbad
02-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Just a brief update. Had call from Amber--Chevy Customer Service--yesterday evening. She stated that a team is working the issues we have been experiencing--to include engineers. Per Amber, they are concerned and want to find the cause of the problem and a solution to it. She also promised that she would be posting an update here on this thread. Regards, Clark

Bodyslide
02-04-2014, 10:40 AM
If they need a donor car , to test drive. They can have mine back for a while. If it would help.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
Hello everyone, I wanted to let you know that we hear your concerns and are working with the appropriate teams internally to come to a resolution. I realize this has been frustrating and just want to apologize, and reassure you your dealerships are working hard on the issue as well. Please continue to visit your dealer for diagnostics, in the meantime - we'd be happy to set up a case for you if you choose to do so. Thank you all for your feedback, and for your patience. Have a great day!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Broknrail
02-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Just a brief update. Had call from Amber--Chevy Customer Service--yesterday evening. She stated that a team is working the issues we have been experiencing--to include engineers. Per Amber, they are concerned and want to find the cause of the problem and a solution to it. She also promised that she would be posting an update here on this thread. Regards, Clark

Thanks, Clark. Glad to hear someone from Chevrolet is finally getting
involved. Thanks for your update. John

jmz768
02-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Hopefully this doesn't take months to investigate.

Broknrail
02-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Hopefully this doesn't take months to investigate.
Unfortunately it probably will. I have acess to the dealers website where
I work that should show any bulletins that come out. I will be checking this
periodically and will advise the group the moment something shows up. John

Bodyslide
02-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Maybe something will also show up here:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/

I really think I reprogram of the computer to make the steering more tight is all that it will take. If that can even be done.

jmz768
02-06-2014, 03:22 PM
Maybe something will also show up here:

http://sandyblogs.com/techlink/

I really think I reprogram of the computer to make the steering more tight is all that it will take. If that can even be done.

I've only seen a few people complaining about loose steering or a dead spot in the center. Most of us are complaining about feeling resistance when making minor course corrections when traveling in a straight line. Tightening the steering may help with your issue, but it not going to help with what most of us are experiencing.

Bodyslide
02-06-2014, 05:29 PM
feeling resistance when making minor course corrections when traveling in a straight line, thats what I have been calling hitting a dead spot when correcting...So I have the same issue, just wasn't sure how to explain it.

jmz768
02-06-2014, 06:43 PM
feeling resistance when making minor course corrections when traveling in a straight line, thats what I have been calling hitting a dead spot when correcting...So I have the same issue, just wasn't sure how to explain it.

I agree it is a hard one to explain. I wouldn't consider it a dead spot though, to me, that would mean you're turning the steering wheel but the wheels aren't responding. This is more like hitting a spot where you can no longer move the steering wheel unless you apply extra force to overcome the resistance.

bjoe222
02-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Do we not have any resolution yet or are we still driving dangerously? I can' t get any help at Pemberton chevrolet in Ponca City, oklahoma

Bodyslide
02-06-2014, 07:28 PM
We are still driving dangerously...

Bodyslide
02-06-2014, 07:29 PM
I agree it is a hard one to explain. I wouldn't consider it a dead spot though, to me, that would mean you're turning the steering wheel but the wheels aren't responding. This is more like hitting a spot where you can no longer move the steering wheel unless you apply extra force to overcome the resistance.

I agree with your statement 100%, that makes alot more since then my dead spot...Thanks, lets hope it gets fixed...

Broknrail
02-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Do we not have any resolution yet or are we still driving dangerously? I can' t get any help at Pemberton chevrolet in Ponca City, oklahoma

Hi bjoe. I live in Broken Arrow. I'm dealing with the same problem in my 2013, which incidentally was dealer traded in from Pemberton. In my case I have never felt the car was dangerous, just very annoying. The steering feels fine except for the slight resistance on long straight stretches, which in Oklahoma we have a lot of.
There was an earlier post indicating it had been referred to Chevrolet engineering. Hopefully this is correct and hopefully they will get on it quick.
So far I'm the only one that has reported this problem at my dealership.
Good luck and keep in touch.

John
Dealer trade driver
Danny Beck Chevrolet
Tulsa, Okla.

chevyorange
02-07-2014, 12:35 PM
I never felt mine was dangerous until a 3 hour drive down I-5 from Seattle to Portland. I've been in all kinds of jalopies and of course as a teen with a Camaro I'm pretty comfortable with skittish driving. And some fun driving :).

Thus issue only startled me when it started on my 2013 at ~8k miles. My car was new, 6 miles on the clock and even though purchased in February of 2013 it was built in July of 2012. My dealer was so good the Generator issue was already replaced.

Good Chevrolet in Renton, WA www.goodchev.com is very good and I've been going there for years. The steering issue was the very first "cannot duplicate" I got (along with MyLink issues). BUT! They did the steering reset and the very obvious problem (to me) was magically fixed.

I refuse to believe my hands are so deft as to feel this pronounced steering issue compared to a service writer and GM auto techs who drive cars daily.

Therefore I believe it's a little white lie. I hope it doesn't turn into a big one.

Adam

c&wsinbad
02-07-2014, 07:14 PM
chevyorange---I must have missed something. What steering reset are you referring to; is there a related service bulletin or something to take as reference to a dealer? Thanks, Clark

chevyorange
02-07-2014, 07:21 PM
I believe a little further back in this thread I posted the exact ticket for the job when they fixed my steering.

I believe there's one right before that also (a picture) of someone else far away from where I am at having the same thing.

It was called resetting the "soft points" of the steering system. I don't think there was a service bulletin, I think it was a wild ass guess… Or they knew and just didn't want to say.

Adam

nutcrunch
02-08-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm confused. Chevyorange you posted back on 12/6/13 (post 27 of this thread) that the dealer did a soft reset on your steering.
Then on 12/18/14 (post 49) you post that you are starting to have problems again.
On 1/16/14 (post 116) you state you'll give Chevy a chance at the next service or you are filing a case.
On 1/30/14 (post 144) you posted that you filed a complaint with the NHTSA
Now on 2/7/14 you posted that the problem was magically fixed when they did the soft reset on the steering. :confused:

chevyorange
02-08-2014, 12:19 AM
If ya look at the dates it'll make more sense. Their could not duplicate but resetting the steering worked. But I can feel the issue coming back.

I figure if there's something wrong with the steerin mechanically maybe the reset adjusted for it.

I filed a complaint because I feel it's bigger than Chevrolet is letting on. I drove a 2014 Malibu and Impala. Did not exhibit the problem but they were low miles.

I hope this adds up to you.

Adam

Sheracr
02-08-2014, 09:44 PM
LONG OVERDUE UPATE! :-)
I had the steering issue where you could feel a "dead spot or skip" in the steering wheel, and the car would not track straight. I also had an issue with the oil control solenoid sticking (engine code P06DE). Took my car back to my dealership after several discussions with the owner regarding prior service visits. (I basically told her not to BS me because my husband is a mechanic :D) After gathering my laundry list of things that needed fixed, they gave me a loaner and sent me on my way. Got a call that afternoon that they could not duplicate the issues, HOWEVER, they found something from GM and were going to fix both of the big issues. I don't think it was TSB, but I could be wrong. 9 days later I get my car back. The steering was fixed! The invoice says that the PS motor control / module was replaced and reprogrammed. They also replaced the oil control solenoid (guess they had to remove the catalytic converter to get to it?).

I am thrilled to actually get a resolution for the steering issue and check engine light, but at this point there seems to be so many issues with my car, I don't want to deal with it any more. 2 days after I got it back, my heated seat would not turn on. 1 week after that, the heated seat would not turn OFF!! I have called the dealership again.... And yes, I have an open case with Chevy. :(

Bodyslide
02-08-2014, 10:46 PM
Alright, the helpful Folks here that are from Chevy need to get more details about this and see if really can fix our issue. God I really hope so...

c&wsinbad
02-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Amber or Erica--Customer Service Reps: Please look at the post above by Sheracr wherein it is stated that dealer found something from GM. Please contact dealer and identify what they found, or post what the information is. These are the things that really drive us crazy. We depend on you--as a Customer Service Rep--to be a "clearing house" to take these pieces of information and run them to ground; define what is going on and give us a path forward that we all will benefit from. We shouldn't have to go thru a trial and error discovery process when someone else has had the situation identified and resolved. Please use your resources and help us out. Clark

Oceanzen
02-11-2014, 07:24 PM
LONG OVERDUE UPATE! :-)
I had the steering issue where you could feel a "dead spot or skip" in the steering wheel, and the car would not track straight. I also had an issue with the oil control solenoid sticking (engine code P06DE). Took my car back to my dealership after several discussions with the owner regarding prior service visits. (I basically told her not to BS me because my husband is a mechanic :D) After gathering my laundry list of things that needed fixed, they gave me a loaner and sent me on my way. Got a call that afternoon that they could not duplicate the issues, HOWEVER, they found something from GM and were going to fix both of the big issues. I don't think it was TSB, but I could be wrong. 9 days later I get my car back. The steering was fixed! The invoice says that the PS motor control / module was replaced and reprogrammed. They also replaced the oil control solenoid (guess they had to remove the catalytic converter to get to it?).

I am thrilled to actually get a resolution for the steering issue and check engine light, but at this point there seems to be so many issues with my car, I don't want to deal with it any more. 2 days after I got it back, my heated seat would not turn on. 1 week after that, the heated seat would not turn OFF!! I have called the dealership again.... And yes, I have an open case with Chevy. :(
I also have the problem with the steering in our 2013LZT and so replacing the PS motor control / module and reprogramming it cures it?? Want to get all my ducks in a row before I head to the dealers Thanks everyone.

Broknrail
02-12-2014, 07:14 AM
How do you "PM' someone on this site? Probably obvious but darned if I can
figure it out. Thanks. John

Oldtimer
02-12-2014, 08:39 AM
How do you "PM' someone on this site? Probably obvious but darned if I can
figure it out. Thanks. John

Click on their user name to the left, a drop-down menu will appear.

Sheracr
02-14-2014, 07:33 PM
I am attaching a copy of my invoice that included the repair for my steering issue. Maybe it will help someone else!

Sheracr
02-14-2014, 07:37 PM
OK... that didn't work. I can't figure out how to make the full image viewable!

tradosaurus
02-14-2014, 10:31 PM

Get a free logon at photobucket.com and then post your picture there.
You can then post the link to that picture on this site.

nutcrunch
02-15-2014, 03:16 AM
Or upload it to www.imgur.com and then post the link here.

Broknrail
02-16-2014, 06:56 AM

I was able to print the screen and it is barely readable. Thanks. John

Sheracr
02-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Lets try this.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h402/sheracr/MALIBU.png

Don't know how much this might help. but worth a shot.

Bodyslide
02-16-2014, 05:37 PM
Looks great...thanks

DrivenDaily
02-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Lets try this.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h402/sheracr/MALIBU.png

Don't know how much this might help. but worth a shot.

Next step: Below each image are some boxes. Find the one with IMG next to it and click in the box, then copy (Windows Ctrl + C, Apple Command + C), and then come back here and paste directly into the same text box where you type your post. You'll see a whole bunch of gobbeldy-goop that represents the code and tags needed to see your image in the post without having to follow the link. Do you know how long it took me before I was able to post pictures? Don't ask! ;)

bjoe222
02-17-2014, 09:10 AM
Sherarc could you pm me please.bjoe222

Sheracr
02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Next step: Below each image are some boxes. Find the one with IMG next to it and click in the box, then copy (Windows Ctrl + C, Apple Command + C), and then come back here and paste directly into the same text box where you type your post. You'll see a whole bunch of gobbeldy-goop that represents the code and tags needed to see your image in the post without having to follow the link. Do you know how long it took me before I was able to post pictures? Don't ask! ;)

DUH...:o I don't know why I copied the link instead of the image. And believe it or not, I understand a lot of the "gobbeldy-goop". I am a software programmer and part of it is using tags. LOL But I can't figure out how to add an image! Sheesh! I just wanted to use the insert image button.

Thanks!!

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h402/sheracr/MALIBU.png (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/sheracr/media/MALIBU.png.html)

Sheracr
02-17-2014, 08:09 PM
Sherarc could you pm me please.bjoe222

I sent you a PM

nutcrunch
02-18-2014, 02:39 AM
The insert image button doesn't work on here if you are using IE. It's been broke for a long time now.

Broknrail
02-18-2014, 06:50 AM
DUH...:o I don't know why I copied the link instead of the image. And believe it or not, I understand a lot of the "gobbeldy-goop". I am a software programmer and part of it is using tags. LOL But I can't figure out how to add an image! Sheesh! I just wanted to use the insert image button.

Thanks!!

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h402/sheracr/MALIBU.png (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/sheracr/media/MALIBU.png.html)
It looks beautiful. Good job.

bjoe222
02-23-2014, 02:18 PM
Finally the problem with steering bump has been fixed. The fix was to replace the steering rack. I have driven the car 700 miles on the interstate since and not a single bump. Great to be able to drive with no fears.

Bodyslide
02-23-2014, 06:19 PM
Can you post a copy of what was done on here? Thanks

c&wsinbad
02-23-2014, 06:48 PM
I'm concerned that the problem will return unless/until GM identifies the cause and performs an engineering fix. Keep us posted.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-24-2014, 06:15 AM
bjoe222,

Glad to hear your concern has been resolved.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

chevyorange
02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
I have only had my box reset. A whole new rack is 1/4 of the car!!

Ok exaggerating but man this is serious.

matthpd195
02-24-2014, 04:41 PM
I had posted previously that my dealer replaced my steering rack at approx. 12,000 miles. My Malibu now has almost 29,000 & the problem has been back for a few months.

I have taken it back to the dealer & received the "not able to reproduce" diagnosis.

I defiantly will be bringing it back before my 36,000 b2b warranty is up.

c&wsinbad
02-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Yeh, That's what I'm afraid of. Until they identify and isolate the problem, implement an engineering solution and produce an upgraded replacement part--all we will get is the same propensity for the same problem. They're just kicking the can down the road by putting the same design part back in the car.

Broknrail
02-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Yeh, That's what I'm afraid of. Until they identify and isolate the problem, implement an engineering solution and produce an upgraded replacement part--all we will get is the same propensity for the same problem. They're just kicking the can down the road by putting the same design part back in the car.

I definitely agree. That's why I've held off on taking mine in. I do understand
that mine appears less serious than many of the others, and since I don't
have any long distance trips in the near future I'm trying to buy some time.:(

bjoe222
02-25-2014, 06:24 AM
I think the problem may return. Until GM comes up with the WHY, the reason is not going to leave. As of right now mine is working great.

jmz768
02-25-2014, 03:09 PM
I think the problem may return. Until GM comes up with the WHY, the reason is not going to leave. As of right now mine is working great.

That's my thinking as well. Assuming this is indeed the defective part, right now they seem to be drawing from a batch of replacement parts with the same problems.

SeaRay245se
02-25-2014, 03:32 PM
If they are defective parts wouldn't we all be having this problem.Our 2 have done nothing like this yet and hope they don't.

jmz768
02-25-2014, 05:18 PM
If they are defective parts wouldn't we all be having this problem.Our 2 have done nothing like this yet and hope they don't.

I'm not saying all the parts are bad.

SilverSport
02-27-2014, 04:15 AM
variable power steering should feel heavier when you are driving fast...that's the variable part...

Bill

chevyorange
02-27-2014, 03:36 PM
Bill is right.

I'm a car nut and probably over sensitive to noise, vibration and harshness.

That said, I'm starting to think my original "steering reset" that seemed to work may have been a mere "lightening" of the power assist.

It could be me getting paranoid - but yesterday at a light (going straight, both hands on wheel so near equal weight) the steering "bumped" a few degrees off genre and kinda shocked me.

As I read and analyze that I'm feeling "degrees" I understand that it may sound I'm asking too much: after all my '62 Chevy had a good 1-3" of dead space before any direction change was noted! I probably could've cut down a couple hundred Pacific Northwest pines over the see-sawing just to go straight. :)

Adam

Bodyslide
02-27-2014, 04:28 PM
if this like the GM ignition issue, I have been reading aout today. It might take a decade to figure it out...All our warranties will be up before then....

c&wsinbad
02-27-2014, 05:54 PM
if this like the GM ignition issue, I have been reading aout today. It might take a decade to figure it out...All our warranties will be up before then....

This is the reason I'm surprised that corporate GM is allowing this to "slow roll". A consistent pattern of ignoring safety issues can't be good, in the long run, for corporate image--or even the bottom line if law suits occur.

Frustrated1
03-05-2014, 07:30 PM
Has anyone managed to get this issue fixed? I have the same steering issue and I have been to the dealership twice and every time it's the same story; "could not duplicate."

jmz768
03-06-2014, 09:29 AM
A reminder, if you haven't taken the time to file a complaint, please do. With the scrutiny GM is under right now, maybe this issue will draw some additional attention. Here's the link.

kjb911
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Hey guys sorry it's been a while I had a personal issue that had to be attended to but its getting better day by day. Onto a more serious note, I have not lost the persistence to keep researching and so far have found out a few things.

A recalibration of the EPAS is in the works with a release date TBD (should be soon) that is set to fix the problems you are experiencing.

(So far I have put 3665 miles on my Turbo and have yet to encounter this.)

However, I was thinking the other day about the symptoms being explained when it dawned on me that my Focus had a similar issue that was along with a myriad of other complaints. The solution there was also a recalibration.

Hopefully this upcoming TSB will be the fix, but I will stay on the hunt to find the definite reason!

jmz768
03-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Hey guys sorry it's been a while I had a personal issue that had to be attended to but its getting better day by day. Onto a more serious note, I have not lost the persistence to keep researching and so far have found out a few things.

A recalibration of the EPAS is in the works with a release date TBD (should be soon) that is set to fix the problems you are experiencing.

(So far I have put 3665 miles on my Turbo and have yet to encounter this.)

However, I was thinking the other day about the symptoms being explained when it dawned on me that my Focus had a similar issue that was along with a myriad of other complaints. The solution there was also a recalibration.

Hopefully this upcoming TSB will be the fix, but I will stay on the hunt to find the definite reason!

Great news, thanks for the update.

c&wsinbad
03-10-2014, 06:11 PM
kjb911--Thanks for the update! Keeps us posted on changes---and especially the Service Bulletin.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Hey all,

I see many of you have concerns regarding steering issues with your Malibu. Please PM me your VIN and contact information and we can further discuss any additional questions you may have. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

jmz768
03-12-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey all,

I see many of you have concerns regarding steering issues with your Malibu. Please PM me your VIN and contact information and we can further discuss any additional questions you may have. Hope to hear from you soon.

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

The only question I'd imagine any of us have is has Chevy identified the problem and when will a fix be available?

Bodyslide
03-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Hey all,

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Most of the folks in this thread have already done that, and nothing ever came of it. So When Chevy gets some kind of a fix, that's really the only help you can provide at this time.

Thanks

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-13-2014, 11:52 AM
Hey guys,

I understand your frustration with the current lack of diagnosis of this problem. We have documented the concerns of this thread and continue to monitor for any additional information. At this time, I would be happy to open case files for anyone who has not contacted us directly as of yet. These case files are available to multiple departments within GM and are used to make information available throughout the company.

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

c&wsinbad
03-13-2014, 02:43 PM
Hey guys,

I understand your frustration with the current lack of diagnosis of this problem. We have documented the concerns of this thread and continue to monitor for any additional information. At this time, I would be happy to open case files for anyone who has not contacted us directly as of yet. These case files are available to multiple departments within GM and are used to make information available throughout the company.

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

The platitudes continue.

Oceanzen
03-13-2014, 07:20 PM
Another 8hr drive on the interstate dealing with this and its starting to really drive me crazy. Seems to really stand out at the higher speeds and mainly does it towards the passenger side. 35 grand shelled out for our LTZ you would think they would bend over backwards to help, but thats not the case. :(

DrivenDaily
03-13-2014, 09:57 PM
The platitudes continue.

After GM admits to doing nothing for more than 10 years while over a dozen people die due to the ignition shutting off, I'm not convinced that they'll choose to do what's needed for this issue, either.

Maybe someone needs to open a direct line to a conscience for GM!

Frustrated1
03-14-2014, 08:12 AM
I have not contacted you yet Austin. I have filed a complaint on some other site or whatever but I am new to this board and don't know how to message you. I don't know if its really worth complaining since as soon as I get a down payment for another car in the next few months this car will be gone and I'm not buying anymore chevy products.

jmz768
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
After GM admits to doing nothing for more than 10 years while over a dozen people die due to the ignition shutting off, I'm not convinced that they'll choose to do what's needed for this issue, either.

Maybe someone needs to open a direct line to a conscience for GM!

I've been thinking the opposite. The last thing GM wants right now is more bad publicity so I'd assume they're going all out on addressing issues such as this. Can you imagine the hell they'd face if somebody ran off the road claiming their steering had locked up and it was found out that people had been complaining about an issue for months?

malijoe
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
Good to know (sorry for you I guess) that I'm not the only one. I've been having this issue since about December with my 2013 Malibu. Same as most of what you are saying, I notice it after driving on highway for about 20 minutes or so, I detect a "bump" when I try to slightly correct, or straighten, my steering, causing me to overcompensate for it.
I drive everyday on highway and it has happened everyday. At first I thought it was due to the potholes I've driven over this Toronto winter.

Strangely, I was on holidays for a week and didn't drive it. Since I've gone back to work, for five days now, I haven't noticed it as much. Strange.

Bodyslide
03-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I sent a detailed email to Autoblog with the info and a link to this thread and the info on the 24 complaints on the NHTSA page.

http://www.autoblog.com/

c&wsinbad
03-14-2014, 05:45 PM
Hey guys,

Austin J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Following Austin's post in the open forum, I received a PM requesting my VIN and contact information--which had previously been provided to Amber. I have received the following PMs from Austin, and I am very frustrated by his comments. See my further comments following the quoted material.

Quote:
Recipients: Chevrolet Customer Svc
Today, 04:27 PM
c&wsinbad
CMF Junior Member
2014 Malibu LTZ
White Diamond Met

Gallery: 0 Re: Your Request for VIN and Contact Info
Originally Posted by c&wsinbad
Talk to Amber--she already has all my information and it's supposed to be on file with you guys!

Clark
Thank you for contacting me Clark. I do see your service request that was handled by Amber and I have reopened it. Have you been to the dealer since you last spoke with Amber?

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care
I'm confused. What do you mean you have reopened it? This SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CLOSED!!! It was still unresolved and a satisfactory answer had never been provided. I have been patiently waiting--per Amber's guidance--for the GM engineers to identify the solution and prescribe the follow-on action I should take. If this was closed, that is a reprehensible action on the part of the GM/Chevrolet Customer Care Representatives. This case file MUST REMAIN OPEN until corrective action and guidance is provided!!

In answer to your question: The car has not been returned to the dealer for this issue since they have stated they can not duplicate the issue, and GM engineers have have failed to acknowledge the problem exists! Until it happens continuously, or until GM engineers acknowledge the issue, identify the engineering solution, and provide TSB implementing instructions--pending an accident or complete steering failure, I will not return it to the dealer for further "cannot duplicate" diagnosis!
End Quote

I am particularly frustrated that Austin stated my case file had been closed. I wonder how many of the case files opened by members of CMF have also been summarily "closed" by Customer Service Rep or by Chevy/GM.

May I suggest that each of you who have initiated a case file and have a case number---readdress that case with a PM to the Customer Service Reps to ensure that your file is still active and that they are still keeping you as part of an active, ongoing issue that remains unresolved. Personally, I get the feeling they are trying to make this issue die without properly resolving it.

Regards,
Clark

DrivenDaily
03-15-2014, 05:30 AM
A word of caution:

The Cust Svc folks on here, even though they work directly for GM, may not be the best avenue for resolving issues. They might be helpful but I don't know of any documentation that says they are an integral part of GM's resolution process. That simply means that may be no real responsibility on the part of GM to do anything tangible as a result of any contact made thru this team.

Remember, too, that Chevy Malibu Forum is not owned or operated by GM. It is not linked or connected to GM in any way except by virtue of the fact that its members own GM products, most notably the Chevy Malibu.

Beware and be wise!

SeaRay245se
03-15-2014, 11:32 AM
A word of caution:

The Cust Svc folks on here, even though they work directly for GM, may not be the best avenue for resolving issues. They might be helpful but I don't know of any documentation that says they are an integral part of GM's resolution process. That simply means that may be no real responsibility on the part of GM to do anything tangible as a result of any contact made thru this team.

Remember, too, that Chevy Malibu Forum is not owned or operated by GM. It is not linked or connected to GM in any way except by virtue of the fact that its members own GM products, most notably the Chevy Malibu.

Beware and be wise!

In other words"WE CANNOT DUPLICATE THE ISSUE".LOL

DrivenDaily
03-15-2014, 02:55 PM
I've already had a certified tech tell me he knows how the Gen7 computers work and that there is no such a thing as the Remote Start Disable History. He was wrong then, and unless he has learned where they are (yes they, there are 2!), he's still deceiving himself and his customers. My proof is at two different dealerships, one here locally and one in another state, both of whom employ persons with a more accurate and realistic view of the cars, and who show a respectable measure of humility and teachableness. Arrogance is not a good trait for a tech whose job it is to find and fix the issues that customers report with their cars.

"DND Did Not Duplicate" is too often the haven of the lazy and inept. Sure, it takes work to figure things out, but it's the kind of sleuthing that befits a truly capable technician. Those who too often fear to brave the breezes of mental calisthenics but instead seek safe harbor by passing it off as intermittent or undetermined deserve neither the respect of true technicians nor the patronage of customers.

It's way past time for wrench-turners who want to wear the patch of an electronics technician to actually apply themselves, especially when a customer such as myself can speak more correctly about the inner workings of our cars than he can. All I needed to do was avail myself of a little basic information. Imagine how embarrassed he and his service manager must have been when (or rather if) they ever learned that the one who showed me how it works was right! I'd like to think that GM made sure that those two received some form of training to correct their misunderstanding of the features of these cars, but I'm not holding my breath, either.

jmz768
03-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Two weeks ago, I took a trip from Kansas City to Tulsa. Within the first 30 miles of my drive, I was fighting the steering wheel every time I needed to make a slight correction to the right. The steering also seemed looser than normal, causing me to have to correct a lot more than usual. After about twenty minutes of frustration, things settled down. I didn't have any other problems on the trip down, or the one back.

Just yesterday, I returned from a trip to College Station, Texas. The total drive time there and back was around 21 hours, for a total of around 1400 miles. Not once did I have an issue with the steering.

Today, I was on the road for less than 10 minutes before feeling the resistance when attempting a slight correction to the right.

I give up.

Bodyslide
03-20-2014, 12:08 PM
I'm in the same boat. I have let my wife drive it full time. I drive it some on the weekends. My 01 Sonata is so much easier to steer.

duncandm
03-20-2014, 02:11 PM
After driving my 2013 Malibu for some time, I too have noticed issues with my steering also only at highway speed on the thruway. I thought it was normal until I researched and found this thread. Mine too has a "sticky/dead" spot and gears to the right along with resistance to bring it back to center. We drove to Syracuse last weekend and this problem was frequent both to and from our destination. Today I took the car in to have it evaluated and also provided them a copy of this entire thread for resource. They assisted me with a loaner and results pending. Will keep you posted

rfrank3434
03-20-2014, 06:03 PM
My 2013 has just over 36000 and it has the same issue of bump steer after about 35 miles, mine bump steers to the right, I'm hoping they have a tsb shortly. I don't enjoy the unable to duplicate answer the dealerships says.

2013MALIBULTZ
03-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Hello fellow Chevy Malibu people. I too have a 2013 Chevy Malibu LTZ with steering issues. Initially, we dismissed the wish-washy tendencies of our new car's steering to it being "brand new". Some people describe a unable to find/hold center and I would add it feels like a subtle almost drift in the steering.

We trusted Chevrolet and never dreamed they would unleash a problem vehicle on us like this. Apparently there is no fix for this and for us with side lane alert sensors will continue to enjoy the beep, beep, beeps as we motor down the highway.

joelw
03-21-2014, 05:48 AM
I, too, have been experiencing this problem for the past couple of months. I thought it might be due to having hit some major potholes (actually craters), but now I see that this is a problem unique to the Mailbu's. Like Duncandm, I only have this on highways at speeds above 50 or so. My daily commute takes me 25 miles on the Southern State Parkway, which is a great road, with absolutely no potholes. There's a dead spot, and then the car veers slightly to the right. I had my local mechanic check the tires, alignment, and front end last week, and he found nothing wrong. I don't know if it's even worth letting my dealer look at it if they're going to say that they can't replicate the issue, and that nothing's wrong. What a waste of time that will be. Come on Chevy - get this taken care of!!

highway
03-21-2014, 06:31 AM
I am having the same dead spot problem. I thought it was just me at first but I am glad I ran across these post. Now if we can just get something done to fix the problem !

duncandm
03-21-2014, 04:37 PM
Update: Just heard back from service dept. They were able to duplicate and are replacing steering rack. Will update again in few weeks

jmz768
03-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Update: Just heard back from service dept. They were able to duplicate and are replacing steering rack. Will update again in few weeks

Others have had their rack replaced only to have the issue return. According to a guy in the thread that works at a dealership, this is a software problem in the power steering system and GM is working on a programming fix.

chevyorange
03-24-2014, 01:15 PM
My steering was adjusted out last service, seemed to help, and the same problem is creeping up again. Next LOF I’ll be mentioning this, along with the ever present 2013 MyLink lethargy.

Love my car but these two things are enough to lose sleep over for me.

BrianL83
03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
You can add me to the list of steering problems. I just bought the car yesterday when I started driving home It kept wandering/drifting to the left (only left) no matter what lane I was in. I took it back to dealer. they checked air pressures test drove could not duplicate blah. Got back in the car notice it doing it again took back ask for a tech or service to drive with me. they took it out again C.N.Duplicate. So I took it out with them and the tech seen what I was talking about. said alignment was off. As soon as I left it was still doing samething. just went home was late for work 2013 Malibu 50 miles on it

chevyorange
03-25-2014, 06:59 PM
I had my car independently verified that the alignment is perfect. I now operate under the impression that the dealership/techs are not DRIVERS. I would rather that they really just don’t “feel” it rather than them lying/covering up the problem.

Frustrating.

BrianL83
03-26-2014, 12:37 AM
The sad part is im a Ase certified technician and when they tell me cant duplicate I wanna tell the manager they need to hire real techs. I used to work for a gm dealership back in 2007 when a customer had a concern we would checked tsb check the website for updates, plug the computer in and update all modules etc. These days it just seems like they test drive it If they notice it or not they brush it off and give it back to the customer cause they don't wanna get stuck with the problem. Its is frustrating like in my last post after the tech did the alignment he should of gotten the customer (me) and had me drive with him to make sure the problem was fixed especially since it was a new car and second time I was back that day.

MC2crazy
03-26-2014, 05:08 AM
Reading through all of this I've noticed it seems to be a problem on 2013 models, but not 2014.... which leads me to the assumption that the problem was addressed for the 2014 models... which means Chevy knows how to fix it.

Our 2014 handles fine... so far...

jmz768
03-26-2014, 09:23 AM
Reading through all of this I've noticed it seems to be a problem on 2013 models, but not 2014.... which leads me to the assumption that the problem was addressed for the 2014 models... which means Chevy knows how to fix it.

It could also be that the 2014's are just too new to have started experiencing the issue. It wasn't until months after my purchase that I started having an issue.

Bodyslide
03-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Mine started alittle after 10000 miles..

nutcrunch
03-26-2014, 04:14 PM

c&wsinbad has a 2014 Malibu and he has posted in this thread a few times about the problem with his car.

We have over 15,000 miles on our Malibu and I've only had something similar to this problem once. We were on a long stretch of straight highway from Virginia to N.C. and I noticed a kind of a notch in the steering I had to over come the little notch then it would steer either right or left. Wasn't hard to overcome the notch but it was kind of annoying. After we stopped at our destination it has never returned again. This was about a year ago I believe and it never happened again.

Phil1
03-26-2014, 07:18 PM
All : I have taken my 13 Malibu back for the 3rd time today for the same steering issue. As expected the dealer said nothing is wrong . I even put these blogs in the work order. I told the service desk to keep the car another day and reset the electronic steering. If they actually do reset it I wll post the results.

Phil1
03-27-2014, 06:21 PM
My Malibu is at the dealer and they talked to GM and will replace the steering rac.

c&wsinbad
03-27-2014, 07:54 PM

There are several of us with 2014 models that have the problem. Seems to be common to both years of the Gen8 vehicles.

MC2crazy
03-28-2014, 02:16 AM
There are several of us with 2014 models that have the problem. Seems to be common to both years of the Gen8 vehicles.

Thanks for the correction. There are many pages devoted to this problem. It may be related to miles?

At how many miles did you notice that yours had this problem on your Malibu?

c&wsinbad
03-28-2014, 01:16 PM
I first noticed it at about 2000-2500; had driven the car about 45 days.