Top end engine rattle on start. [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Top end engine rattle on start.

bigbadbowtie
12-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Hello Folks. My 2nd post....1st was in the noob forum.

I own a 2009 LS 2.4/4 speed. It has right at 11000 miles. On start up the engine will have a top end rattle that will last for 1-3 seconds. It started out happening once every week or 2 and went to every day, mutliples times per day. Dealer said there was TSB for a cam timing valve (im sure im misquoting I will have to look at my papwork when I get home).
They replaced the parts and it worked good for 2-3 weeks. Its back again.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

My wife also stated to me that when she sits in the parking lot waiting on the kids..... the ac/heater blower motor with cycle for 2-3 seconds. Thats with the key removed.

Nice forum.... hope to hang around for a while.
Ray

jeff2674
01-06-2010, 01:00 PM
I have the same exact problem on my 2008 malibu lt1. I also noticed especially since it's colder I hear more of a ticking sound? This happens even if im driving for awhile.

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, it has 23,500 miles with the GM extended warranty.

bigbadbowtie
01-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Its going in for its 4th visit now with the dealer. They have been unable to reproduce it but I finally caught it on video. They have had the car 2 days and counting. My issue is only on start up and it happens once in every ~20 starts. Its a pretty hard rattle/knock. It almost sounds like an old school flat tappet lifter that had blead down over night. We will see......
I'll see if I can post up the video once I get home.

Ray

pFrancisco
09-27-2010, 03:33 PM
My 2009 LS 2.4 6 speed just made this same rattle this morning at start up. This is the second time i hear it but this time i had the windows down and was able to really get a good listen. I have around 22000 miles on the car. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue or know what the problem is?

Starship
09-27-2010, 05:25 PM
There's bulletin GM#PIP4716 (Sharp Engine Noise At Start Ecotec) that I found on the CobaltSS.net http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/problems-service-69/gm-pip4716-sharp-engine-noise-start-ecotec-190916/ of all places. It has to do with "cam phasers not parking properly" due to manufacturing debris in the CMP actuator solenoids. It may be worth mentioning it when you take it in.

buster
10-02-2010, 09:28 AM
Hello Folks. My 2nd post....1st was in the noob forum.

I own a 2009 LS 2.4/4 speed. It has right at 11000 miles. On start up the engine will have a top end rattle that will last for 1-3 seconds. It started out happening once every week or 2 and went to every day, mutliples times per day. Dealer said there was TSB for a cam timing valve (im sure im misquoting I will have to look at my papwork when I get home).
They replaced the parts and it worked good for 2-3 weeks. Its back again.

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem.

My wife also stated to me that when she sits in the parking lot waiting on the kids..... the ac/heater blower motor with cycle for 2-3 seconds. Thats with the key removed.

Nice forum.... hope to hang around for a while.
Ray

We have an 09 lt1 with the same problem. I am planning to take it to the dealer before warranty expires, has 25000 on it now. hard to duplicate though, cause only does it periodically. I also have noticed that my 2003 nissan xterra has done this a couple of times recently, it has no warranty, oh crap!

Len McRiddle
10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
There was a major manufacturing problem at the Tonawanda plant at the beginning built of the 09 EcoTec. An additional station and error proofing were added to the head machining line to correct it. Aluminum chips were not getting washed out completely before assembly. A few engines made it past testing and into the assembly plants.

bigbadbowtie
02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Just thought I would give an update even though its late. Over a few month period they worked on the car and were unable to fix the issue. I don't have my records with me but they replaced the cam phasers twice along with rebuilding the entired topend.They ended up replacing the engine in the end. We received the car back with 13400 miles. No issues until a few weeks back when my wife heard the rattle again and it happened again this morning.
She says exact same noise. This engine has just over 15k on it. The car now has 28k.

Just sent off an email to the customer service manager. Ill post of the results as I go.

bigbadbowtie
09-21-2011, 02:32 PM
I thought I would update this Post. Well the 2009 LS malibu was bought back by the dealer and they offered me a 2011 LTZ Malibu and in the end we payed less for the LTZ than we did the LS. Fantastic work by the dealer.

It was a great car for the 1st 2000 miles. The 3.6 in this car has a very similar start up rattle now that is has 8k miles. We have also had issues with the multiple function switch(blinkers,wipers,ect). The paint started having rust spots show up. They claimed it to be "railroad" dust. They were able to buff those out. Car was damaged in their shop and had to have the bumper repainted. The car has a weird vibration around the 45-55 mile an hour. I can go on........

Needless to say I'm done with Chevy for the time being. I have been a chevy fan boy all my live. I have working on and drag raced GM based cars for many years. I will continue to do that but this will be my last daily driver GM vehicle for the time being. Im actually shopping for a Ford or Toyota for my wife now.

Good luck guys/gals.

Len McRiddle
09-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Rail dust is a common issue with a lot of makes and models. I always clay bar my new cars as soon as I can.