Service Airbag display and light [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Service Airbag display and light

yyz_ltz
12-27-2009, 08:11 AM
Anyone had this issue "Service Airbag on DIC display and airbag warning light on speedo?" I plan on taking it to dealer, but wondering if anyone has come across this.

Duckybill
12-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I just saw your message after posting mine.

yyz_ltz
12-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Became intermittent and has gone away. Checked all the airbag electrical connections and re seated them. I guess that did it but none seemed loose at all and all had the connection locking mechanism in place and seated correctly????

Jamarion
03-16-2010, 03:08 AM
there is a problem with ur vehicle sensors that's Y such alarms are coming

kerry9686
03-25-2010, 06:40 AM
There is a problem. I have had this problem 3 times now. The service airbag light came on so we took it to the dealership and they said there was nothing wrong with it, they said it was just a code that made the light come on. Then after we left with our car it came right back on. We called the dealership, took it back and they said that they needed to put grease on the electrical connection for the airbags, when they made the car they forgot to add this and it causes the airbags to disconnect. This goes for ALL 2010 malibus. Well it has been fine for a while and then all of a sudden the service airbag light came on again yesterday. We called the dealership and took the car back and they told us that this is a big problem now. and the people who actually made the electrical system for the airbags is TOYOTA. so they are going to try and find out what is going on and how they can fix this. SO I SUGGEST EVERYONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM SHOULD TAKE YOUR CAR BACK TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR SERVICE. THIS IS A BIG PROBLEM.
Thank goodness we are still under warranty.

realoldman
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM
I had the same problem with my 2010 Malibu. The car did not set a code at first. It took five visits to the dealer to solve the problem. On the second visit they ordered (took three days and the factory sent the wrong unit the first time) and replaces the module that does the scanning and sets codes. When it happen again they found a code that said the side airbag was defective. They had to order the new airbag that took five days to get in. The problem is finally solved.

glenab
04-04-2010, 08:48 AM
I have 2010 malibu around 400 miles baby droped bottel in back seat. We were parked at atm machine, as i went to pick it up my knee bumped the steering wheel air bag light has come on and off radomly ever since. Took to dealer but light was off they stated nothing wrong and no codes read.

elcompaLalo
04-04-2010, 09:11 AM
I have 2010 malibu around 400 miles baby droped bottel in back seat. We were parked at atm machine, as i went to pick it up my knee bumped the steering wheel air bag light has come on and off radomly ever since. Took to dealer but light was off they stated nothing wrong and no codes read.

Keep an eye on it and if you can take it in when it is on it would be easier for them to diagnose it. Although I don't think bumping the steering wheel would have loosened the airbag connections inside it. Might just be the case, weirder things have happened?

bsstone737
06-04-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone had any updates on this problem and if they've figured out what's going on with the light coming on? Mine has been coming on and off for a week or two now and I figured it was just a crossed wire but today it was on for 80% of my 40-minute commute and knowing that it may in fact not be working correctly makes me understandably nervous.

I plan to call and take it in but it would be really bad timing right now to have to leave the car at the dealer even if I was able to get a rental.

bsstone737
06-04-2010, 06:46 AM
There are two posts on the subject so I'll add this to both. I spoke to my dealership today and the service manager told me that yes it is a safety issue to drive it with the light coming on but he said the front airbags would deploy no matter what but that the side airbags may be impacted and not deploy correctly if I were to get into an accident while the light is on. He didn't stress that I get it there today but said try to find some time in the next few weeks to be able to bring it in.

He said he's seen the issue a few times and almost always been able to resolve it through a code check and reviewing the units under each seat.

I'm going to try to get it to them the week after next and will let you know what ends up happening.

Jefferson
07-29-2010, 09:44 PM
... not good. My 2010 Malibu LT2 just started displaying this message this past week -- about 3,500 miles on it, bought right off the show room floor with 3 miles on it! I was happy ...

I traded in my beautiful black Mercedes-Benz E320 because the service costs on Mercedes is breaking the bank (we had two Mercedes Benz to keep up). With a brand new Malibu, I thought those service days were over.

Hah! Think again ... SERVICE AIRBAG every now and then when I start the vehicle. I will sometime turn the car off and 'reboot' the system. I simply, and utterly, cannot STAND HAVING TO DO MORE SERVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure they will want me to bring it it ... make na appointment ... leave it with them so they can fix the other 50 ahead of me ... I want a freakin rental car like the Mercedes Dealership would put me in.

I work at NASA and right now are busy, busy times ... some day I don't eat lunch until after my 2PM presentation or sometimes later - and then, its in the car on the way back. I do not live 'in town' either - this is a major pain.

I am so disappointed ... I just cannot believe this with 3,500 miles. My wife just bought full loaded 2010 Honda Accord EX-L ... you think there will be any problems with that? Hmm ... we'll see.

In the meantime, I can't even find the time to refinance my house because we are scrambling around at work to pull rocket stuff together ... much less, be without a vehicle - put me in a stinking rental ASAP and get this resolved.

It is intermittent ... comes on and will stay on for duration of drive. I can turn off the vehicle, remove the key, open and close driver's door ... then enter, insert key, turn to let computer initialize for about 3 seconds prior to starting the engine and it usually does not come back on.

I have to deal with this now ... not happy - not good.

DrivenDaily
07-30-2010, 03:43 AM
I hope you have a much better experience than you anticipate. I've read other threads and there can be several different issues. One is the passenger seat detection device and another is the connectors might not be fully seated in the plastic plug, allowing a less-than-perfect connection that intermittently fails. There may be other things causing it but if you can make it happen keep notes of exactly how it does and present that recipe to them. If they claim they can't duplicate ask them to try it some more.

Silver LTZ
07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Common and minor fix on the '10s. Just take it to the dealer....

glenab
07-31-2010, 02:03 PM
I am suprized no one has mentioned anything about the letter sent ouf from General Motors.

In short its not a recal but the letter stated:

To enhance the side impact protection, your GM dealer will update the wiring harness for both front seat side impact air bags. this service will be performed for you at no charge.

And they sincerely regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

so i called the dealer about this. they said bring it on down so we can inspect the car to see if you need the updated wiring then i told them that the air bag light has been coming on since mile 400 and the time i brought it in was the one time it would not go on. So they said they are ordering the part and calling me when it comes in.

This is for 2010 malibu

Silver LTZ
07-31-2010, 08:09 PM
I am suprized no one has mentioned anything about the letter sent ouf from General Motors.

Three page thread about this.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4859

Chad
08-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I just bought mine about 9 days ago and this has happened three times already... I guess I better call my dealer I guess I still have a 3 month 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and the remainder of the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain... hopefully one of them covers this.

Silver LTZ
08-30-2010, 05:37 AM
I just bought mine about 9 days ago and this has happened three times already... I guess I better call my dealer I guess I still have a 3 month 36,000 mile bumper to bumper and the remainder of the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain... hopefully one of them covers this.

Your 100% covered.

Chad
08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Well I called today and they said it got recalled and I just need to take it in and they'll do whatever they need to fix it I guess..

ChevyMgr
08-30-2010, 06:59 PM
Well I called today and they said it got recalled and I just need to take it in and they'll do whatever they need to fix it I guess..

They will reroute the harnesses under both front seats and change the connectors.

Jefferson
08-30-2010, 10:09 PM
I hope you have a much better experience than you anticipate. I've read other threads and there can be several different issues. One is the passenger seat detection device and another is the connectors might not be fully seated in the plastic plug, allowing a less-than-perfect connection that intermittently fails. There may be other things causing it but if you can make it happen keep notes of exactly how it does and present that recipe to them. If they claim they can't duplicate ask them to try it some more.

I think you are right about the passenger's side ... I called the dealer, but I rarely have a free moment at work to run by there, but he said they had performed the greasing of the connections in the steering wheel when the car came in new (mine had 3 miles on it).

This is intermittent - (sigh) it's hard to say if it happens more when I am alone or if someone is riding shotgun ... but I started keeping notes on my iPhone. Sometimes the message would come on when I am by myself then within a few minutes of driving it would go off -- like that, most often I'd guess. But this weekend my mom was in the passenger's seat and there it went again - but I had let the computer boot prior to starting the engine and then waited about 3 seconds after before putting in reverse - it was not in fault mode when I backed up but as soon as she got in it went off.

We went to eat then I came back out to get the car and pick her up ... no fault, then she got in and it did it again. I went home and the next morning I was going to work - same computer boot time and then 3 seconds or so to put in gear ... it came on as I went down the road then I thought about her sitting there (I was under the impression it was in the steering column though) ... I reached over as I was driving to work and hit the passenger's seat decently hard with my fist, and the fault cleared.

So, I am now thinking you may be right about it having something to do with the passenger's seat ... maybe a good bump from the road would set it off or reset it ...

Maybe if someone else has a similar situation alone in the vehicle they will hammer down on the passenger's seat a time or two and see if that does anything, then report back here?

Many thanks ... otherwise, I am pretty pleased with the car. I mean, going from a Mercedes, it's not too bad - I just wish this wasn't a glitch ... but I drive it to work for about 40 mins one way ... I beefed up the stereo with dual 10in Orion subs & amp and kept the factory speakers 'as is' -- sounds great rockin to some Great White or Maiden ;)

malibubu
09-11-2010, 06:59 PM
There are two posts on the subject so I'll add this to both. I spoke to my dealership today and the service manager told me that yes it is a safety issue to drive it with the light coming on but he said the front airbags would deploy no matter what but that the side airbags may be impacted and not deploy correctly if I were to get into an accident while the light is on. He didn't stress that I get it there today but said try to find some time in the next few weeks to be able to bring it in.

He said he's seen the issue a few times and almost always been able to resolve it through a code check and reviewing the units under each seat.

I'm going to try to get it to them the week after next and will let you know what ends up happening.
I wouldn't feel too secure because of a quick fix. This problem just seems to keep coming back. My car was "fixed" 3 times and is still back sitting at the service department after 16 days and counting. The last time, I left the dealer and went thru a car wash, and before the wash finished the "service airbag" message was on again.

Richard
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
... not good. My 2010 Malibu LT2 just started displaying this message this past week -- about 3,500 miles on it, bought right off the show room floor with 3 miles on it! I was happy ...

There is a customer satisfaction program from GM regarding an airbag fix. This is similar to a recall. Owners of 2010 Malibus received this letter about 2-3 months ago. There is a post regarding this around that time. I didn't bring my car in for this, but others have brought it in and they said it was a simple fix. They didn't even have to leave the car. It took 30 minutes - just a simple wire fix.

Also, please remember that new cars are extraordinarily complex - especially the Malibu which does contain some very sophisticated features. With these types of complexities, things can malfunction. As I said, they made the Airbag fix a very customer friendly fix, so it shouldn't be a harrowing experience.

Richard
09-11-2010, 10:26 PM
Common and minor fix on the '10s. Just take it to the dealer....

Yes, I got a letter from GM regarding this fix about 3 months ago. I didn't bring my car in, but others have and they said it took about 1/2 an hour to do the fix.

jay57
02-15-2011, 09:13 AM
We just purchased our 2010 Malibu LTZ with 10,000 miles on it. We got the "service airbag" message once. So far we haven't gotten it again. My wife has gotten a couple other messages. I told her to start writting them down. I am mainly concerned with the airbag message. I would hate to see that sucker going off driving down the highway.

jay57
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Does anyone know if GM has had a recall on the airbag problem? If so, is the a place I can find it? Thank you all

Starship
02-15-2011, 09:42 AM
Welcome to the forum.:) I think the danger is the airbags not deploying when they need to, perhaps all the more reason to get it serviced soon under the ongoing campaign (no cost to you). The deployment decision is made by the SDM based on impact sensor inputs. The message you're getting is because the SDM detected circuit problems to the seat mounted hardware.

jay57
02-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Thank you Starship. You would think that there would be a recall on something like that. We traded a Camry for this car because of stuff that went on last year. The value of the Camry went down the toliet. If I was a auto maker, I would be recalling any safety issue quickly.

malibubu
02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Had this problem in September in 2010. It took about 3 weeks, and the application of heavy pressure (by me) for the dealer and GM to figure out the solution. The fix "should" be out to all dealers by now. The Fix involved replacing a loose electrical connector under the front passenger seat. The dealer had no answer to the question "can this cause my airbags to fail?", so GET IT FIXED SOON.

malibubu
02-16-2011, 08:47 AM
I took my Malibu to the dealer in August, 2010 due to a recall letter received in July, 2010. It was a month later when the "service engine soon" problem flared up (now fixed-see 2/16/11 MALIBUBU report in this blog).

billharryeobd2
02-16-2011, 11:52 PM
buy one diagnostic scanner yourslf, then the problem will slove, this tools are multi-funtions,that can do many diagnose ,reset and clean fault codes...that will helps you..
search it in ebay, or just a eshop likes eobd2.com...

Starship
02-17-2011, 09:44 AM
This is the second post pushing "eobd2 dot com" which is registered to an entity in China. Needless to say we don't appreciate wading through irrelevant posts like yours.

jay57
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Thank all of you. We purchased the car at a Toyota/Cadilac/GMC dealer. I printed everything I could from you all and took it with me. They said that they had to see if there was a recall. I gave them all this and said, no recall just a letter from GM. This is what is wrong. They said they replaced the connectors and re-ran the wirers. They actually thanked me for bringing the information because there service manager said he hadn't seen that problem before. I know that if I had not got the information from you all that they would have just checked it out. It wasn't giving the "service airbag" message every time. I think I would have been taking it back again.

Thanks agian
Jay

Starship
02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Glad to hear.:) Hope your problem stays fixed. If the service department otherwise treated you and your vehicle good, it wouldn't be a bad area to cultivate a relationship (go back there for regular maintenance, etc.). Good service departments are like gold in some locales.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-18-2011, 08:59 AM
I can also check on recalls for you if you send me your VIN in a private message. This way I can let you know if any recalls specifically fall under your VIN. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service.

Jefferson
02-20-2011, 09:49 PM
I think I've mentioned this before, but I took my 2010 back to the dealer for the service & had them check this airbag message ... the individuals I talked too also said they weren't aware of any issues or recalls but a manager told me that my car had the bulletin service for the steering column wiring done when it came in off the truck.

I told him that if a passenger sat down it would go off - then when they got up it might go off & it might not ... I could hit the seat with my fist and make the warning clear, so it was obviously something under the passengers seat.

He said they checked it and did whatever they needed too and I've not had another problem out of it sense. It is a pressure sensor I believe he said that was calibrated to 100lbs or something ... have them check that under the passengers seat.

stevedeal7
02-21-2011, 07:09 AM
My Airbag light came on several times, on my 3rd visit they replaced the airbag and I have not had a problem since. All they said was that it was faulty and it needed to be replaced.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-25-2011, 09:39 AM
stevedeal7 and Jefferson,

I apologize that you have to go to the dealership on multiple occasions. However, I am glad that the techs were able to get the situation resolved for you.

My offer still stands as in my previous post; if any of you would like to proved me with your VIN in a private message, I would be happy to look up recall information for you vehicle.

Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

Cedar
07-14-2011, 08:58 AM
My 2007 Malibu LS also has this problem.
Seems that it is quite a common problem for Bu.

brady68usa
07-20-2011, 11:01 AM
i know i'm 7 months late in any kind of response. better late then never? i just signed up so.... try adjusting your passenger front , back , tilt. it works when it happens to mine. possibly its the position blocking the side airbag.

malibubu
07-21-2011, 07:31 AM
My "airbag warning" issue was solved by Chevy service who replaced (in warranty) a loose electrical connector under the front passenger seat. This, I believe, is the only permanent solution to the problem. Good luck.

michelin
07-21-2011, 12:00 PM
I've had this problem on my 08 malibu (63,000 mi) for almost 5 months now... i took the car to the dealership (before knowing about this post) and they said it was the passenger side presence system module, $817.23 to have it replaced... Is there a recall on this issue? This is one of many problems that are driving me crazy!!

1kdlrbill
08-27-2011, 06:30 AM
Yes I had the same thing. I had my 2lt in for a water leak around the sunroof and there is a recall on the service airbag message.

malibubu
08-28-2011, 07:55 AM
Yes, been there. The problem has been known by Chevy dealers for about a year, so fix available.

Kenphu
04-08-2012, 12:03 PM
I read a post regarding this problem on a 2008 model and the fix was moving the seat back and forth. I tried it on the pass side no good, tried it on the driver side, BINGO! It's kind of stupid and i'm sure not permanent but it was alot easier to fix than posting this message! LOL

GOLD1LT
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
i know this is an old thread, but i have a 2010 and this is happening to me to. is there any tricks to this to fix it instead of paying a dealer?

malibubu
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Anyone had this issue "Service Airbag on DIC display and airbag warning light on speedo?" I plan on taking it to dealer, but wondering if anyone has come across this.
Had this problem several months ago. Took a while, but dealer finally found a loose electrical connector under the passenger seat, and fixed it.

GOLD1LT
04-13-2012, 07:40 AM
Had this problem several months ago. Took a while, but dealer finally found a loose electrical connector under the passenger seat, and fixed it.

do U know what he did to fix this connector?
is it something i can do?

PBoy
06-24-2012, 06:06 PM
Just got the warning on my 2010 today @ 10,800 miles

Hope I don't have to spend a day without a car or in the dealership

Rodents
06-24-2012, 08:57 PM

You may have an open recall on the car since you have a '10. There were two recalls, initially we didn't automatically replace the connectors under the seat. The recalls changed and now it's automatically done. PM the last 8 or the full 17 digit VIN and I can tell you or you can PM Michelle the same info. We both get our info from the same place

GOLD1LT
06-24-2012, 09:27 PM

all 2010 had the recall, i took mind to a chevy dealer and i did not buy my car from there but they fix it for free and put a new connector on, cause they chevy dealer and my car was chevy got it fix for free :D

Rodents
06-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Recall 10085 didn't have you replace the connectors unless the AIR BAG light was on. After that procedure didn't work so well, recall 11034 came out and then the connectors were replaced no matter what. So even if you had a recall done, it's important to know which one was done. Even after 11034 is 'done', if the tech didn't follow instructions properly, the light came back on. We had a few of those in our shop where the tech was 'too busy' to bother doing his job the right way the first time. Second time it usually went to a more detail oriented tech.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Please, let me know how things go at the dealership.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

PBoy
06-25-2012, 01:35 PM

will do

I have a service appt on July 5th

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-26-2012, 08:48 AM
all 2010 had the recall, i took mind to a chevy dealer and i did not buy my car from there but they fix it for free and put a new connector on, cause they chevy dealer and my car was chevy got it fix for free :D

I am glad you were able to get the recall work performed at a Chevrolet dealership other than the one you purchased from. I hope you are having a great Tuesday.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
will do

I have a service appt on July 5th

Sounds great! I hope you have a wonderfully fun and safe 4th of July.

Cedar
06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
You lucky guys. But I am not that lucky at all.
Mine is 2007 Chevy Malibu. The airbag has been on for a while now. While, sometimes on, sometime off.
The amazing thing is that: 5 people around me (including me) have the same car. But 4 of us have this problem (all 2007) . The only lucky one has a 2006 LT. Really disappointed about this! Surprised that GM does not have a recall for this problem for this year/model.

Another thing is more ridiculous: my friend can open my car (2007 Malibu) using his key (2006 Malibu)! And I can also open his!

RalphP
06-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Another thing is more ridiculous: my friend can open my car (2007 Malibu) using his key (2006 Malibu)! And I can also open his!

That's not so ridiculous.

There's something like 50 keys used for all Malibus - maybe all GM cars - and it's not impossible that you could both have the same key.

RwP

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-29-2012, 07:34 AM
You lucky guys. But I am not that lucky at all.
Mine is 2007 Chevy Malibu. The airbag has been on for a while now. While, sometimes on, sometime off.
The amazing thing is that: 5 people around me (including me) have the same car. But 4 of us have this problem (all 2007) . The only lucky one has a 2006 LT. Really disappointed about this! Surprised that GM does not have a recall for this problem for this year/model.

I can understand how frustrating this type of concern can be. Is this something that has been going since your warranty has been expired or did you have this happen when you were still under warranty? Have you had the vehicle into a Chevrolet dealership to have this diagnosed?

PBoy
07-07-2012, 07:45 PM

Good experience.

Fix was covered under the recall. Flexible scheduling, and accomplished in a little more than an hour.

Lordfalco
07-26-2012, 04:23 PM
I too am having this issue where both the Service Airbag and the Tire Pressure light are coming on intermittedly when I start my 2009 Malibu 1LT. Took it to the dealer once already and they replaced the negative lead cable because it was corroded, they thought it would fix the issue. It hasn't. I don't want to explore every electric lead in the car (since it's out of warranty), so does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you

greenman
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I too am having this issue where both the Service Airbag and the Tire Pressure light are coming on intermittedly when I start my 2009 Malibu 1LT. Took it to the dealer once already and they replaced the negative lead cable because it was corroded, they thought it would fix the issue. It hasn't. I don't want to explore every electric lead in the car (since it's out of warranty), so does anyone have a suggestion?

Thank you

Oddly enough, that can occur when your system voltage is low (battery depleted). Have you had the battery load tested? What's the voltage across the terminals?

Lordfalco
07-27-2012, 05:54 AM
I actually just had the battery replaced 3 weeks ago. So now it has a brand new battery. The corroded lead was due to a corroded battery. If the system continues to be unbalanced, what can be done to fix this? An error code that say 'Low Voltage' I assume is not enough information.

repairman54
07-27-2012, 06:44 AM
A new battery can be bad, I have been through 4 "new" batteries in the last 7 years. All due to internal connector failures in the battery.
You could wack the battery with your hand and it would reconnect and act normally, start car, etc. These types of failures can also give you erratic trouble codes.
3 batteries failed in my Sable and one in my Yukon. 3 Duralast and one Diehard. The Sable which my Malibu replaced was hardly a rough on the battery off road vibration machine.
Just something to keep in mind with a erratic diagnostic.

greenman
07-27-2012, 02:35 PM
An error code that say 'Low Voltage' I assume is not enough information.

It popped a code?

nutcrunch
07-27-2012, 02:48 PM
When the battery went bad in our 06 Malibu the air bag light started coming on intermittently. After it was replaced we never had that problem again.

PBoy
08-07-2012, 02:51 PM

The light came back on today.

It's only been a couple hundred miles since my service visit. They gave me the old connector.

What can it be? Still less than <11k miles

Very disappointed :(

Rodents
08-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Without knowing what code is set, it's a guessing game. Fretting corrosion is the most common issue, yes, even at under 11K it happens. There are several inline connections in the air bag system and any of them can have issues. Working the connector open and closed a few times and adding slilcone dielectric grease to the connection is the best right now as a solution.

PBoy
08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Without knowing what code is set, it's a guessing game. Fretting corrosion is the most common issue, yes, even at under 11K it happens. There are several inline connections in the air bag system and any of them can have issues. Working the connector open and closed a few times and adding slilcone dielectric grease to the connection is the best right now as a solution.

The problem before was intermittent, now the message is on all of the time.

Lordfalco
09-24-2012, 07:12 PM
Update...

So after issues with the Airbag service light and Tire Pressure light after several months with no solid solution...today both went away...only to be replaced by the 'Check Engine light'!

What is wrong with these Malibu's?

greenman
09-24-2012, 11:52 PM
What is wrong with these Malibu's?

Nothin' wrong with our 2010. I'd swear my wife loves her bu more than me. Now she wants a 2013. Oy!

Illan
08-14-2013, 03:19 PM
my 2010 ltz is displaying the Service Airbag soon, but i notice it only does it on hot days (93F and up). is the recall still ongoing?

lynn1219
04-02-2014, 07:38 AM
I have a 2008 Malibu with about 45,000 miles on it. A few weeks ago, the service air bag light came on and has remained on. Took it to my mechanic, and he put it on the computer and a code came up that indicates the module has to be replaced. It's around a $500.00 repair and, given that GM has been so slow in acknowledging any problems with its autos, I hate to pay the money, only to have them recall it later. Anyone else have this problem with the 2008 Malibu?

guitarboy_02451
04-05-2014, 07:47 AM
Yup, I had this light and service ECS light...
About $800.00 later for a new computer thingy..
Had to do this because the car wouldn't pass inspection with the light on, stating that the airbag wouldn't deploy if I was in an accident.

I raised this as a safety issue with GM, but they told me it's not. Thanks again GM!

Honda's look better every day.

Jack2t
04-05-2014, 07:34 PM
I have a 2011 Malibu 2LT. This is the second time the service air bag light came on. The first time was about a month ago in February 2014. It stopped after the car was left overnight. Today when my daughter had the car, the light came on but went off after she was driving for a while. I have made an appointment for the light when I take off my winter tires. I have purchased an extended warranty and have about 50,000 Km. on it. I will get back to the form with the results.

DrivenDaily
04-06-2014, 06:06 AM
See if the under-seat connections need attention. I seem to recall someone on here having his fixed due to the terminals or plugs or something underneath being defective or corroded.

Illan
04-08-2014, 10:05 PM
See if the under-seat connections need attention. I seem to recall someone on here having his fixed due to the terminals or plugs or something underneath being defective or corroded.

Thanx for the idea.

i went ahead and unplugged the plugs from the driver seat, added dielectric grease and plug everything back. the airbag light is now off. it turned for a moment for 2 seconds and then off.

i presume that the yellow harness is the airbag, right?

DrivenDaily
04-09-2014, 03:53 AM
Yes. The bright color is to alert anyone working on it.

Rodents
04-09-2014, 05:44 PM
Bypassing the connectors is the only way to fix the majority of SIR problems we have. Fretting corrosion is making circuit resistance just a bit too high and the Air Bag light comes on. Usually just touching the affected connector makes the light go out. That's some 'high tech' diagnostics there for ya to try. Move each seat all the way front and back, does the light go out? Whichever seat you moved to make the light go out, there's your problem.

Air bag wiring is not to be messed with if you have no idea what you're doing. If you're not comfortable doing it, pay someone that is competent. Bypassing the connectors is a permanent fix, it's what is being done in the current GM recall 14030 on Traverse, Acadia, OUTLOOK and Enclave. You can butt splice them but a soldered, crimped splice is much better in this instance. Only drawback is if the seat ever has to come out, the splice would have to be redone.

The splice should be crimped, then soldered, then heat shrink tubing, then wrap the heat shrink tubing with electrical tape, followed by a layer of friction tape and last a wrap of yellow electrical tape at the splice to identify the harness as an SIR harness for future service.

2012 Malibu
04-11-2014, 04:50 PM
I've got the same issue. 2012 Malibu. Light comes on and off periodically. Is the record of these on/off periods logged in the vehicles computer?