Bluetooth stays with OnStar cancelled! [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Bluetooth stays with OnStar cancelled!

DrivenDaily
01-09-2010, 06:44 AM
When I cancelled my OnStar I asked if the Bluetooth feature would remain active. I was told it would not. Since my Garmin nuvi 265WT has BT and I had already paired it with my cellphone, it picked up the slack when OnStar's BT stopped. The other day I noticed that my nuvi hadn't linked with my phone so I tried pairing the phone with my 'Bu. It worked! I couldn't use my old name but I can once again use my phone through the car's system. Thought I'd share that with any who may have been reconsidering their decision about keeping or cancelling OnStar.

All I did was hold the steering wheel button the required amount of time and then say, "Bluetooth", to which it responded "Bluetooth. Ready." After that it was a cake walk.

Much happier now!

bballr4567
01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Yea the car has BT regardless of Onstar.

Also, if you hit the emergency button Onstar HAS to answer. Its like you dialing 911 on out of service phones, it still has to go through no matter what.

malibumom
01-09-2010, 11:15 PM
I was not aware that onstar would answer if you hit emergency, thats interesting information.

bballr4567
01-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Yea, they dont like that information getting out but its the law (told that by an actual EMT and the dealer). Also, not sure on this one though, if your airbags deploy they will still dispatch an ambulance to your location. Apparently they wont talk to you but they will send out help.

Speedster
01-11-2010, 04:45 PM
Yea, they dont like that information getting out but its the law (told that by an actual EMT and the dealer). Also, not sure on this one though, if your airbags deploy they will still dispatch an ambulance to your location. Apparently they wont talk to you but they will send out help.

Are you sure about this? When you say "its the law" do you mean it is a state law? Federal law? I was under the impression that absolutely none of the onStar features work if there is no active subscription.

elcompaLalo
01-11-2010, 05:30 PM
Are you sure about this? When you say "its the law" do you mean it is a state law? Federal law? I was under the impression that absolutely none of the onStar features work if there is no active subscription.

I can agree with bballr4567, here is an example for ya.

A coworker of mine was out and about on a weekend, he hit a light pole on his way home and the airbag deployed. He was fine and out of fear for a ticket he started the truck back up and finished the drive to his GF's place. The next day LVMPD showed up to his place looking for him because OnStar contacted them about the incident. He had no clue that OnStar contacted him because he swapped out his OEM deck, so since they could not speak to him via the vehicle they assumed he was hurt and still contacted the authorities. All this happened when he was not subscribed with OnStar and well after the trial year from the purchase date.

Weird yes, but it makes sense so I do believe they would know if you were in a wreck but who knows? Maybe there have to be some special circumstances for them to get involved.

bballr4567
01-11-2010, 07:41 PM

All the maintenance stuff doesnt work but the emergency HAS to. Its federal law. Onstar doesnt like people to know that because that is the only reason to really subscribe to them.

crm2019
01-12-2010, 10:39 AM
One way to test it - whoever here has an expired onstar subscription should go press the emergency button and see if they get connected. If they do, then it works, if not, it doesnt. I have always been under the impression that if you dont subscribe, its disabled and wont connect to the onstar call center. However, if you would push the onstar phone button, say dial, then say 911, the mobile phone part of onstar could still call 911 (like a disabled cell phone can), but youd be directly calling 911 - not onstar. Anyone follow me?

ChicagoMalibu2009
01-14-2010, 08:34 AM
[I'm really curious as to why it isn't crm2019 who's going to try this.... Oh, wait, i think i can think of a few reasons :-)

"Hmm, i think my leg unbroke itself, maybe it was a cramp. I'm cool, thanks anyways though"]

EDIT: I saw that he specified the disabled people, but still think its almost illegal to try this: I am curious though. Onstar has a good product model if you have to break the law to determine what happens when you don't cough up the dough. :-)

bballr4567
01-14-2010, 10:22 AM
Its not illegal to hit the emergency button. Ive done it to report drunk/crazy drivers and it just goes to an onstar call center first before being patched into your local PD.

TMoneyR523
06-04-2011, 12:01 PM
I would just like to clarify this topic since I noticed a lot of inaccurate details:

Following the date that your subscription expires, your telecom does into a dormant state for 6 months. During that 6-month period, your emergency button won't work (You'll get a recording), your hands-free calling minutes won't work (Bluetooth, as you saw above, will), and your blue button will only connect to a re-aquitition advisor with information only necessary to get your vehicle re-enabled (VIN, hardware version, etc.) which even then, it takes another 48 hours for all services to become re-enabled. Location information is not included in that blue-button request. That Federal "law" you're talking about does not apply to OnStar. It applies to wireless network providers (Verizon Wireless, AT&T, Sprint, etc.) who must process a 9-1-1 call regardless of the subscription status or not. Because the OnStar system doesn't dial directly into a 9-1-1 centre (instead, it goes to one of three emergency call centres), the system is not designed to comply with that law and you will not reach an emergency advisor. The reason for elcompaLalo's friend's vehicle sending out that crash notification is because the telecom data was in a dormant state at the time, it hadn't yet been cleared from the system and reassigned to another vehicle - so it was able to send the one-way notification. If your vehicle has been expired for longer than 6 months, I wouldn't trust it to save your life via any of the three buttons or crash sensors. Even if you did get through to a re-aquitition advisor, you'd need to provide them with your exact location information since that isn't included in the call (which could also take between 5-10 minutes to connect due to the use of temporary data following that 6 month period).

I hope this has answered your questions - please don't hesitate to send me a private message should you have any further ones, since I don't log-on very frequently (and I get e-mail notifications of a PM).

KenM10759
06-05-2011, 04:38 AM
If I had paid for a factory option such as Bluetooth phone connectivity, and its functionality was dependent upon a paid service, I'd be pretty ticked off. As it happens, I have indeed paid for this with my current car and it damn well better work even when this OnStar crap has expired or GM is going to have one PO'd customer screaming in the dealership.

Len McRiddle
06-05-2011, 05:04 AM
It still works for me, and I cancelled OnStar in March of this year.

DrivenDaily
06-05-2011, 05:25 AM
So far 2 cars ('09 and '11) that I let the OnStar expire and the BT keeps on workin' just fine.

GregF70
06-05-2011, 09:43 AM
Interesting to read this thread for the first time. Yesterday my wife went to turn on the cabin light and hit the OnStar emergency button on the rear-view mirror. A few seconds later a lady answered and asked what we needed help (emergency). I do not have nor have I ever paid for an OnStar service. So we were both surprised that we heard this strange voice in our car. It is also the first time either of us ever had this type of experience with hands free calling. It was REALLY nice.

Question, DrivenDaily, as you stated in your OP, you were able to pair your phone with your OnStar even though you are not paying for service. I do not have steering wheel controls for blutooth on my car (nor do I have radio controls). If I hold the phone button down on the rear view mirror could I pair my android phone with the car's blutooth, or does my car have it? Maybe the connection is just hard-wired into the mirror and I do not have that capability.

I wonder......hmmmmmmmm.........

Thanks,

MalibuKen
06-05-2011, 11:50 AM
If I hold the phone button down on the rear view mirror could I pair my android phone with the car's blutooth, or does my car have it?

Probably not.....as the Onstar doesn't automatically come with bluetooth. My window sticker showed it as a $100 option (IIRC).

It might be possible to add it. Ask a dealer or two.......or fire off a question to GM. Maybe one of the "Customer Service" folks who monitors here could find out for you.

DrivenDaily
06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I believe that MK is correct. Each of my cars came with BT, XM radio, and OnStar. XM expired and then later OnStar. BT takes a VCIM to work (I believe) and is a separate device from OnStar or XM. I believe that XM and OnStar share the same antenna cover (shark fin) but BT needs none.

Imagine like one of those in-the-ear devices that some people use. It's just a replacement for the headset wire.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Dear KenM10759,

You do not need a subscription to OnStar to use Bluetooth for your cell phone. A compatible Bluetooth phone is required to use Bluetooth for Phone.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Dear MalibuKen,

Thank you for referring GregF70 to me.

I hope that you have a great week!

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Dear Gregf70,

If you would like to provide me with the VIN of your Malibu, I would be happy to research your build sheet to see about the Bluetooth option. If you would like me to do this for you just send me a private message.

TMoneyR523
06-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Yesterday my wife went to turn on the cabin light and hit the OnStar emergency button on the rear-view mirror. A few seconds later a lady answered and asked what we needed help (emergency). I do not have nor have I ever paid for an OnStar service. So we were both surprised that we heard this strange voice in our car. It is also the first time either of us ever had this type of experience with hands free calling. It was REALLY nice.

Did you participate in the PushOn sweepstakes (to win a new car)? All participants were credited a 6 month trial and 30 HFC minutes.