Bluetooth pairing... [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Bluetooth pairing...

BryCola
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
I know this isn't specifically a Malibu question, but thought y'all might know. I have my business phone paired with my bluetooth in my Malibu, but now I'm going to be getting a personal phone as well. Can you pair both? And if so, can you assign one as primary for outgoing calls?

Thanks in advance.

bballr4567
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM
IIRC you can pair up to 5 phones with the car. Check the owners manual on how to make which one primary as I dont remember that. I think you have to give the phone a name and itll ask for which phone.

srobinso11
02-02-2010, 03:16 PM
You can pair more than one phone, but only one phone can be connected to the Malibu at a given time. This is a Bluetooth limitation and not just a limitation of the Malibu's Bluetooth. It is fairly straightforward to change which phone is connected to the Malibu.

BryCola
02-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the replies! :)

texasrox
02-04-2010, 10:43 AM
When you have 2 or more paired blutooth devices in your car, the Malibu will automatically choose the device that was connected the last time you drove your car.

tabeytabe
02-04-2010, 12:33 PM
When you have 2 or more paired blutooth devices in your car, the Malibu will automatically choose the device that was connected the last time you drove your car.

Hmm, not sure about that...

Just a couple of days ago I drove home from work with my phone paired with the bluetooth (I used it, so i know it was paired with my phone). About 15min after I got home the wife and I headed off to the store in my car... We both got in the car before I turned the car on. Once I started driving my wife tried to use her phone and it was HER phone that was connected to my car's bluetooth... I check my phone's bluetooth and it was still turned on, so I figured the car's bluetooth was just able to obtain a connection with her phone quicker than mine.

Macleod52
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
IIRC The manual states that whichever device was synced first is which will connect first in the event two or more are present.

Big Show
02-08-2010, 07:05 PM
I just went though all this with my new 2010..... I paired both my and wifes phone. If we both get in the car it will pair with mine first. It will pair with the phone that was the first one paired at setup....

contraption22
05-18-2010, 10:51 AM
Hello all.
Great forum. I am new here, and posting for my parents. They have a 2009 LTZ which they love, but are not very tech savy. I am no expert myself, hence this post.

I tried to pair my mother's cell phone with their car, but her phone asked me a for a 4-digit device code. Where do I obtain this code?

Thanks,

Mike

malibudragon
05-18-2010, 12:28 PM
Hello all.
Great forum. I am new here, and posting for my parents. They have a 2009 LTZ which they love, but are not very tech savy. I am no expert myself, hence this post.

I tried to pair my mother's cell phone with their car, but her phone asked me a for a 4-digit device code. Where do I obtain this code?

Thanks,

Mike

When you are in the pair mode for the Malibu the code is displayed on the radio

DrivenDaily
05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
You need to put the phone in discoverable mode, then long-press the Mute/Answer button on the steering wheel. When it says "Ready", say "Bluetooth", then "Pair", then listen for the command and look at the radio display. Have a name for the phone picked out as that will be the label the car uses when identifying which phone you are using. When it asks for that label, I'd suggest moving to within 8 inches of the microphone and speaking in a normal tone. It will repeat your recording and ask if it's okay. You can re-record it if it isn't.

Done.

contraption22
05-18-2010, 08:26 PM

Cool. I didnt notice that. Thanks!

Mike

Richard
06-19-2010, 08:08 PM

There are voice prompts throughout the pairing process that tell you exactly what to do. The system will announce your 4 digit security code and it will display on the radio. I took a pen and paper with me during the pairing process, cause the owners manual said that it will only announce the 4 digit code. Then I noticed it was on the radio dial as well, so paper and pencil is not necessary.

ckhale24
09-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I know this may sound silly, but I am pretty good with cars and such, but I cannot figure out how to even begin to pair my bluetooth in my 2010 Malibu LT. I have pushed and held the mute button and i get nothing!! The car is on, it kust keeps saying audio muted. HELP PLEASE! I'm hoping theres nothing wrong with it!!! :confused:

DrivenDaily
09-19-2011, 08:09 PM
You probably don't have BT. If you don't have the sharkfin antenna above the rear windshield then you also don't have XM.

Search for "bluetooth" using the search feature and you'll find threads and posts mentioning it. You'll also find a list of 3-character codes you can check to see if your car has BT or not.

If it actually does have BT then it's simply a matter of finding out if your device is supported by the 'Bu, and if so, taking a trip to the dealer to have it remedied.

But first use Search.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-20-2011, 08:13 AM
Ckhale24,

If you would like to provide me with your VIN, I can research the build sheet information about your vehicle and the Bluetooth. This will allow us to see if you have this option and will allow me to assist you further with this.

If you would like more speedy response about your situation, you can visit your local Chevrolet dealership or you can contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. Their toll free telephone number is in your owner's manual.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

JSHous
08-15-2013, 01:51 PM
My Malibu had some body work done over the summer....now when a call comes in on my cell - the cell phone itself rings two, maybe three, times before the car's Bluetooth system picks it up. This never used to happen...all incoming calls went directly, and quickly, to the Bluetooth. I'm wondering if this could be fixed by re-pairing the cell to the car...

Any thoughts?

Rodents
08-16-2013, 06:16 PM
My Malibu had some body work done over the summer....now when a call comes in on my cell - the cell phone itself rings two, maybe three, times before the car's Bluetooth system picks it up. This never used to happen...all incoming calls went directly, and quickly, to the Bluetooth. I'm wondering if this could be fixed by re-pairing the cell to the car...

Any thoughts?

Try it, but delete the car from the phone AND the phone from the car. If that doesn't work, you should see your dealer to see if the Over The Air programming was successful. If you don't have an active OnStar account it may not have been updated as the module goes into an unrecoverable mode like mine did.

Bulletin number is PIC5687C and the 'Firmware Over the Air" Parameter as read on the scantool should be '6608' for 2011 Vehicles except Volt and should be '7908' for 2012 vehicles except Volt. The update is done at no charge, if you do not have an active OnStar account, a 30 day limited access account will be setup at no cost to you so the update can be done. If the update is not done and the current OnStar module will not accept the new programming the module will need to be replaced. It would be covered under your 3 year/36K mile warranty.

gr8shot
08-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I have a bluetooth question as well. I paired my phone and the car together, but every time I leave and then get back in the car, my calls go to my phone instead of through the car. I thought that once you paired the two that every time I got in the car all incoming calls would be sent through the car. Am I missing a step here or something? Do you have to pair the phone with the car every time you get in? From reading this thread it doesn't seem like thats the case.

ClothSeats
08-29-2013, 08:22 AM
You don't have to pair the two every time you get into the car, but you do have to have Bluetooth turned on on your phone. Do you have Bluetooth turned on?

DrivenDaily
08-29-2013, 08:52 AM
I had an '09 that lost its pairing 2 times while I owned it. Both times it had to go to the dealer for a software update. After that it was perfect.

This '11 has had a minor issue once but I didn't need a visit to correct it. I just deleted/re-paired and that has done it for me.

Yours may need a trip to see the dealer.

gr8shot
08-29-2013, 09:54 AM
I do leave the bluetooth on my phone turned on all the time.

How "should" it work? Once I pair my phone should calls always go through the car without me doing anything?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-29-2013, 09:58 AM
gr8shot,

I am sorry your are having this concern with your pairing process. Both ClothSeats and DailyDriven have made great points. You can also reach out to our infotainment team for more information. They can be contacted at 855-478-7767 seven days a week 8a - 10p EST. Please be sure to keep us updated.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

DrivenDaily
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
How it should work:

You start car and within about 30 seconds you should see a message on the radio "Bluetooth". You are now ready to make/take calls with your phone and do the hearing/speaking using the components in the car, ie microphone, speakers, volume control, steering wheel buttons.

If that is not how yours works then it needs help.

gr8shot
08-29-2013, 02:36 PM
I can pair mine but I have to do it every time I get in the car. And it asks me to store it each time. It saves it as a new device each time and won't connect as the previous device. I also can't reuse the same name since it stores previous names from past times I've paired it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

DrivenDaily
08-29-2013, 07:24 PM
If the dealer's update doesn't delete the current list you'll need to manually go through and list all the names (audio output only) and then delete them one by one. Then after the fix you can pair your phone one more time and it should be okay. Mine was doing the same thing ("forgetting" what I just paired!!!) and the fix was all it took to stop making me a frustrated owner.

Rodents
08-29-2013, 07:39 PM
I can pair mine but I have to do it every time I get in the car. And it asks me to store it each time. It saves it as a new device each time and won't connect as the previous device. I also can't reuse the same name since it stores previous names from past times I've paired it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Get this bulletin done, 08-08-46-008C. Should address your issue as it is listed exactly as you stated your car works. The OnStar module (VCIM) gets reprogrammed.

gr8shot
08-30-2013, 06:37 AM
Get this bulletin done, 08-08-46-008C. Should address your issue as it is listed exactly as you stated your car works. The OnStar module (VCIM) gets reprogrammed.

Thanks!

Is this a freebie, or is it going to cost me an arm and a leg? The car is out of warranty with 130k miles on it.

On my way home from work I paired it and it worked great, made and took a couple calls through the car. It's really cool when it works! Hopped in today to go to work and it didn't pair by itself, and i got a call and it just went to my phone.

I'll make some time to visit a dealer and see what they can do about it. I'm out of town all next week, but I'll update here once I get it in and taken care of.

Rodents
08-30-2013, 10:28 AM
A dealer shouldn't charge you more than an hour, there's no diagnosis to be done, you just need the programming done that is called out in the bulletin. Straight forward programming. To make a few extra bucks they might tell you some story about who knows what which is most likely going to be BS anyway. If the dealer wants more than an hour of labor, shop around.

langss
08-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Does Onstar have to be active for the Bluetooth to work?

JimD
08-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Does Onstar have to be active for the Bluetooth to work?
No.

But the OnStar fuse must be installed and the green LED on the mirror must be ON.

langss
09-01-2013, 12:11 PM
No.

But the OnStar fuse must be installed and the green LED on the mirror must be ON.
Thank You for your reply. Which "Green" LED right side of mirror "OnStar" LED or left side LED ?

Rodents
09-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Thank You for your reply. Which "Green" LED right side of mirror "OnStar" LED or left side LED ?

LED on the right side of the mirror. If the right side LED is RED, the OnStar system is detecting a malfunction. If that LED is GREEN, the system is operational with a valid, active account. If the right LED is not lit, either the fuse was pulled or the module in the car does not have an active account associated with it. You can still pair a Bluetooth phone to the car with a right side LED that is not illuminated. I know this is a fact, mine is not illuminated and I just paired my phone to the car. I don't normally run around with the phone's Bluetooth turned on at all times. I'll try it and see if I like it. Don't get a whole lot of phone calls in the car but like I said, I'll try it and see if I like it.

JSHous
09-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Yes, you can pair both phones...I think you can pair up to five...If both phones are in the car...and turned on....then calls coming in to either cell phone will come through on your On Star system. As for outgoing calls....you can specifiy which phone you want the call to go out through before you dial the call.

langss
09-09-2013, 04:34 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. I will have to try it.When my OnStar expired the right led went out. The only time it has come on since was when they contacted me about my expired subscription.

randall2314
09-25-2013, 02:36 PM
Quick question regarding bluetooth. I have a 2012 1LT, with Onstar. Well it says "Bluetooth is not installed on this vehicle" but I was "told" that all 2012 Malibu's came equipped with Bluetooth. Be that as it may, I obviously don't. My question is...why does it work with Onstar, and it not be equipped? I would think if I have Onstar it's there, just not enabled. Thanks!

DrivenDaily
09-25-2013, 02:53 PM
On* is a service that uses a separate antenna and cell phone number (if you buy minutes). It uses the microphone installed in the roof and the radio speakers.

BT is a system that is like replacing the wire to the headset on your phone. It also uses the microphone and speakers but is a separate system.

PM the Cust Svc team and ask them to check your VIN to see if it's supposed to have BT or not. No amount of urban legend or hearsay is worth making a decision only to regret it later.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Hi randall2314,

Definitely let us know if you'd like for us to check if your vehicle is equipped with bluetooth. If you're interested, just PM us your VIN.

Thanks

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Rodents
09-25-2013, 06:01 PM
Quick question regarding bluetooth. I have a 2012 1LT, with Onstar. Well it says "Bluetooth is not installed on this vehicle" but I was "told" that all 2012 Malibu's came equipped with Bluetooth. Be that as it may, I obviously don't. My question is...why does it work with Onstar, and it not be equipped? I would think if I have Onstar it's there, just not enabled. Thanks!

Bluetooth function is part of the OnStar module on gen 7. RPO code UPF or UWE is the identification for Bluetooth. If you don't have it from the factory, it cannot be added.

JSHous
09-25-2013, 09:22 PM

Randall2314,
Look on the right hand side of your steering wheel. If there are buttons there, then you have Bluetooth. If no buttons, no BT. You say you have an LT. My understanding that they're standard on all models above the LS. I am attaching a photo HERE (http://i1132.photobucket.com/albums/m567/jshous/chevysteeringwheel_zps5ad3b6b8.jpg)...you see the buttons on the right? That means you have BT. Hope that helps.

--JH

randall2314
09-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies! @ JSHous, I do have the buttons. I do ask it to pair and it says it is not equipped.. Bummer. Just weird because I know Onstar and the Bluetooth are 2 separate modules, but they told me when I bought (A Service Tech) that all 2012 (even LS) were equipped with BT.

DrivenDaily
09-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Bluetooth function is part of the OnStar module on gen 7. RPO code UPF or UWE is the identification for Bluetooth. If you don't have it from the factory, it cannot be added.

This information is from a Certified GM Tech. Buttons or no, check the RPO codes. They'll be on a sticker in the glove box or the spare tire cover.

tabeytabe
09-27-2013, 09:11 PM
The Bluetooth module is contained in the OnStar module. Also, while GM says it can't be added, it certainly can... If you can find an OnStar module that has Bluetooth to replace it with. Our '10 Traverse had an OnStar module without Bluetooth. I found a module with it (from a '10 Enclave) at a salvage yard for about $150. All I had to do was unplug the old one and plug in the one with Bluetooth and the Bluetooth features instantly worked.

JSHous
09-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies! @ JSHous, I do have the buttons. I do ask it to pair and it says it is not equipped.. Bummer. Just weird because I know Onstar and the Bluetooth are 2 separate modules, but they told me when I bought (A Service Tech) that all 2012 (even LS) were equipped with BT.

I would take it to a dealer and just have them check. That doesn't sound right. Best of luck to you. My OnStar works great and I love it.

randall2314
10-01-2013, 08:28 PM
Thank you, sorry but I don't see a link for the PM? I have the VIN, just let me know! Thx!

randall2314
10-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks again for all the replies. At Tabeytabe, how and where is the BT module located? We also have a 2009 Traverse with BT and was curious how you were able to just add it and plug it in? How does it know once you install it? It would be cool to know your steps!!!

tabeytabe
10-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks again for all the replies. At Tabeytabe, how and where is the BT module located? We also have a 2009 Traverse with BT and was curious how you were able to just add it and plug it in? How does it know once you install it? It would be cool to know your steps!!!

The Onstar/BT module is located in the very back, on the driver's side, in the same location that the jack is stored. There's a removeable panel on the side (has little vent slits in it), when you remove it you'll see the jack at the bottom. There's a silver box just above it, which is the Onstar/BT module. The module is held in by a plastic bracket, all you have to do it bend back a tab and the module comes right out. There are two wiring harnesses that easily unplug from the module. All I did was remove the module, unplug it, plug the new one in, and place the new one in the bracket. Nothing else is required for Bluetooth functionality. Once you turn the car on the Bluetooth works right away.
Onstar functionality is a different story, though. Since the new module has a different identification # I had to call Onstar and explain to them that I had replaced the module. That way, they wouldn't think our vehicle is a 2010 Enclave. We don't subscribe to Onstar but I wanted them to at least have the proper vehicle on-file, just in case.