Factory Anti Theft System [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Factory Anti Theft System

Richard
04-23-2010, 10:15 PM
Is the Factory Anti Theft System standard on all Malibu Models? I'm talking about the alarm system. I know that Pass Key is standard.

The reason I'm asking is I had problems getting this discount on my insurance. When they entered my Vehicle VIN, it didn't list the Anti-Theft system. So my agent asked for a copy of the Window Sticker. That didn't list it either. Now I know my car has the factory anti-theft system. The Security Light flashes after I hit the remote lock button twice. Also, I made the alarm go off just to test the system.

But my insurance company insisted that it wasn't listed anyplace. Finally, I had the dealer call the Insurance Company to confirm that my car had this feature. The insurance company finally relented and gave me the discount which came out to $55 per year.

I just don't understand why this is not listed in the Vehicle VIN or Window Sticker. My insurance company had a point. That's where the anti-theft system would show up, so I can understand why they gave me a hard time.

Is the Factory Anti-theft system (alarm) standard on the LS & LT1, or is it just standard on the LT2 & LTZ?

By the way, make sure your insurance company knows that the Malibu has the Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking system. You get the same discount on your theft insurance as Lo-Jack which in most cases is 25%. I provided the Onstar documentation to my insurance company and I got this discount.

Starship
04-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Is the Factory Anti-theft system (alarm) standard on the LS & LT1, or is it just standard on the LT2 & LTZ?

By the way, make sure your insurance company knows that the Malibu has the Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking system. You get the same discount on your theft insurance as Lo-Jack which in most cases is 25%. I provided the Onstar documentation to my insurance company and I got this discount.

Good info. The way I understand it is that the Malibu Theft-Deterrent systems consist of the Remote Keyless Entry key fob and PASS-Key transponder key both of which are standard except for fleet. The available discount depends on the insurance company and state. The same with OnStar.

Silver LTZ
04-25-2010, 04:52 PM

Hum, I gotta call and make sure they got that, thanks.

Richard
04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
Hum, I gotta call and make sure they got that, thanks.

Yeah, on my last car which also had Onstar, the insurance company didn't give me the discount until I called them. I had Lojack years ago and I got the 25% discount then. I explained to them that this is better than Lojack since you don't need a specially equipped police car to track the car. I believe they just asked for documentation from the Onstar Manual. I sent it to them and got the 25% discount. When I got the Malibu, they were already aware of this from the previous car, so I got the discount right away.

Richard
04-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Good info. The way I understand it is that the Malibu Theft-Deterrent systems consist of the Remote Keyless Entry key fob and PASS-Key transponder key both of which are standard except for fleet. The available discount depends on the insurance company and state. The same with OnStar.

The type of anti-theft system I'm referring to is what GM calls the "Content Theft Deterrent System". That's basically an Alarm System where if the car is broken into, an alarm goes off (the horn honks). My car has this feature. That's what the insurance company was interested in. This was not listed in the Car's VIN or on the Window Sticker.

I asked if this system is standard on the LS or LT1, because maybe the insurance company is getting the standard equipment from those models.
The Owner's Manual states that your car "may" have a content theft deterrent system. That leads me to believe that it's not standard across all models.

The way you know if your car has this feature is if you lock the doors with the remote key fob, the security light on the dash will illuminate, then flash once every 3 seconds. The system arms in 30 seconds if you hit the key fob once. If you hit it twice, it arms immediately.

Starship
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I asked if this system is standard on the LS or LT1, because maybe the insurance company is getting the standard equipment from those models.
The Owner's Manual states that your car "may" have a content theft deterrent system. That leads me to believe that it's not standard across all models.

It was indeed standard on my LS. Fleet vehicles like rentals are different. I remember renting a G6 (either 2009 or 2010 MY) last year that did not have a key fob. Then, the 2010 Impala I rented recently did not have the OnStar installed.

Richard
04-27-2010, 06:46 PM
It was indeed standard on my LS. Fleet vehicles like rentals are different. I remember renting a G6 (either 2009 or 2010 MY) last year that did not have a key fob. Then, the 2010 Impala I rented recently did not have the OnStar installed.

What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN or on the window sticker. There's a saftey and security section on the window sticker and they mention nothing about the Content Theft Deterrent System or even Pass Key. With the price of insurance, every discount you get means a lot. If it wasn't for the dealer calling my insurance company, I wouldn't have gotten this discount.

Starship
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN or on the window sticker. There's a saftey and security section on the window sticker and they mention nothing about the Content Theft Deterrent System or even Pass Key. With the price of insurance, every discount you get means a lot. If it wasn't for the dealer calling my insurance company, I wouldn't have gotten this discount.

Well, the copy of the build sheet I was given listed as standard:

Theft-Deterrent Alarm System: content theft alarm
Theft-Deterrent System: vehicle, PASS-Key III Plus

The window sticker would have to be three pages long to list all standard features in small point. I am not defending any entity, just stating the obvious.

Silver LTZ
04-28-2010, 06:40 AM
What I don't understand is why this was not listed in the car's VIN

VIN's do NOT show nearly every option a car has, just the main ones like trim and engine etc. Not sure who/what gave you this idea. :cool:

Richard
04-29-2010, 12:02 PM
VIN's do NOT show nearly every option a car has, just the main ones like trim and engine etc. Not sure who/what gave you this idea. :cool:

The Insurance Company.

Silver LTZ
04-29-2010, 12:26 PM
The Insurance Company.

Goes to show how much they know. What in the world gave them the idea that like an eleven digit number tells them everything about the car is laughable.

Richard
04-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Well, the copy of the build sheet I was given listed as standard:

Theft-Deterrent Alarm System: content theft alarm
Theft-Deterrent System: vehicle, PASS-Key III Plus

The window sticker would have to be three pages long to list all standard features in small point. I am not defending any entity, just stating the obvious.

I didn't get a build sheet with my car. All I got was the Window Sticker. And they certainly could have fit this on the window sticker. They print every single incidental standard feature on the Window Sticker and an alarm system is important enough to list - especially for insurance purposes. And not all cars come with the Content Theft Alarm standard. My last car was a Cadillac CTS and it did not have the Content Theft Alarm. It was an extra on that car.

Richard
04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Goes to show how much they know. What in the world gave them the idea that like an eleven digit number tells them everything about the car is laughable.

Actually, they got all the other deductible items straight from the VIN # such as:

DRL
Antilock Brakes
Passive Supplemental Restraint System
Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Traction Control & Stabilitrak
5 Star Crash Rating

The only thing that was not listed was the Pass Key / Content Alarm System.

That's why they asked for the window sticker. They thought it was listed on that document, but it wasn't.

Silver LTZ
04-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Actually, they got all the other deductible items straight from the VIN # such as:

DRL
Antilock Brakes
Passive Supplemental Restraint System
Onstar Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Traction Control & Stabilitrak
5 Star Crash Rating

The only thing that was not listed was the Pass Key / Content Alarm System.

That's why they asked for the window sticker. They thought it was listed on that document, but it wasn't.

They may have told you that, but it is BS. A VIN doesn't tell you the crash test rating or most of that stuff. They just had it is their database. Don't believe half of what they tell you.

Starship
04-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Either your insurance company's database is incomplete or your agent is being lazy. It's their job to know what's standard on each model and trim level. You must be getting a pretty good deal on your insurance to be putting up with such nonsense.

I got the build sheet because I bought my Malibu sight unseen (it was being built). If you are not squeamish about giving out your VIN, there's someone on http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums who can pull you up a build sheet and even dealer service history.

Richard
04-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Either your insurance company's database is incomplete or your agent is being lazy. It's their job to know what's standard on each model and trim level. You must be getting a pretty good deal on your insurance to be putting up with such nonsense.

I got the build sheet because I bought my Malibu sight unseen (it was being built). If you are not squeamish about giving out your VIN, there's someone on http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums who can pull you up a build sheet and even dealer service history.

I told them that I would make a copy of the description of the Content Theft Alarm from the owner's manual and they said it wasn't good enough. It may not be a standard item. They wanted a written confirmation from the dealer. I eventually talked them into getting an oral confirmation from the dealer. With the cost of insurance, it's important to get every discount that's available.

troykillman
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I almost want to say that all chevy models that have keyless entry have a content theft deterrent system. The only reason I say this, is because I had a 2006 Cobalt 1LT, which had one, then I had a 2007 HHR 1LT that had one, and my 2009 Malibu 1LT which has one, and every chevy I looked at had an alarm system.. I am asking my dealer tomorrow when I go in for service. It is nice to have all of the available security features though isnt it? It gives me a little peace of mind :-)

The type of anti-theft system I'm referring to is what GM calls the "Content Theft Deterrent System". That's basically an Alarm System where if the car is broken into, an alarm goes off (the horn honks). My car has this feature. That's what the insurance company was interested in. This was not listed in the Car's VIN or on the Window Sticker.

The way you know if your car has this feature is if you lock the doors with the remote key fob, the security light on the dash will illuminate, then flash once every 3 seconds. The system arms in 30 seconds if you hit the key fob once. If you hit it twice, it arms immediately.

Richard
05-04-2010, 07:21 PM
I almost want to say that all chevy models that have keyless entry have a content theft deterrent system. The only reason I say this, is because I had a 2006 Cobalt 1LT, which had one, then I had a 2007 HHR 1LT that had one, and my 2009 Malibu 1LT which has one, and every chevy I looked at had an alarm system.. I am asking my dealer tomorrow when I go in for service. It is nice to have all of the available security features though isnt it? It gives me a little peace of mind :-)

I had a Cadillac CTS and the Content Theft Deterrent System was not standard. It was an extra. It's amazing that it's standard on a Chevy and it wasn't standard on a Caddy.