Water leaks in 2008-2010 Malibus [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Water leaks in 2008-2010 Malibus

Mr. Bill
04-28-2010, 11:19 AM
It seems quite a few people have had problems with water leaks in their cars. I am thankful mine is dry, but I sympathize with owners whose cars leak. Many years ago, I had a very nice Mercury Monarch Ghia with a water leak and the dealer could never find out where it came from. I didn't know it leaked until I found out there had been enough water in the carpet to ruin the bag in my vacumn cleaner, it was soaking wet.

Doesn't Chevrolet run the cars through a water chamber to check for leaks? I saw the Camaro manufacturing plant on a TV documentary and they check each car for leaks. However, the car was fully assembled at the time as I believe this was the last QC check.

It would be beneficial to have each car checked for leaks at a certain point in production before the interior is all in place. That way any leaks could be detected and easily fixed. However, I know this would really interrupt the build process.

Just my thinking...

Mr. Bill

Silver LTZ
04-28-2010, 01:32 PM
There is no way to run every car through a chamber to check for leaks. The Camaro isn't either. They just pick some random cars to check. My car thankfully has been dry as a bone.

Mr. Bill
04-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I was under the impression each Camaro was tested

Mr. Bill

MsWilliamz
07-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm so glad i came across this site. I noticed last saturday that my back passenger floor board was covered in water. Took it back to the dealer i bought it from 5 months ago and he couldn't find anything, nevertheless he dried it up sent me on my way. Well today is Friday and i notice a fowl smell..the floor is wet again. I call him and now suppose to take it in Monday so they can check it out...i love my car but after all the issues i'm hearing i'd rather just find something else i think. I had a camry before this and had no issues with water leaks or odd smells the whole 8 yrs i kept it and the only reason i didn't get another one was due to their recalls. Thankfully my malibu is still under warranty or i wouldn't know wht to do. Should i stick it out or find another car? Cant wait to hear wht the ppl @ the shop says on Monday. And did anyone with this issue get it fixed to where it doesn't leak anymore?

DrivenDaily
07-24-2010, 06:05 AM
I haven't had the issue but I've read almost every post. What I can recall is that the leak seems to come from the AC condensate drain in most cases. Weird, but understandable if you live in a humid area like I do.

When you run the AC you should see clear water dripping from the front right side of the car, and none of it should stay inside the car. If the tube is compromised then that can lead to the problem you're having.

Once you get that fixed, and it is fixable, I think you'll grow to love this car as much or more than your beloved Camry. Every manufacturer has issues. It's how they handle them that matters to me.

coachrtaylor
08-19-2010, 07:50 AM
This may not be from the AC. I am also having this trouble with water filling up my back passenger floorboard. I was 500 miles from home when I first noticed it. I called back to my local dealer and they said this was what was wrong and it should be ok til we got back. Well about the 3rd day into our trip the car quits shifting and the instrument panel starts flashing different warnings. The car quits shifting into high and jerks everytime it shifts. I take to a repair shop where I am at. They got 3-4 gallons of water from the carpet and under the carpet. They cleared the codes and we got home. Well the next week it was wet again after we drove it while it was raining. We took it to the dealer and we was told the warranty dont cover wet conditions. After a discussion with them they looked at the car and fixed it. Still was not paid back for the 600 we had to spend on vacation. After this it has been about a month since we had any problem and it has not rained in this time either. Well just yesterday we got rain and the back floorboard filled with water again about 2 inches deep on top of the carpet. It is in the shop and they told us we had a leak from somewhere. Needless to say it is not covered by warranty and this has just about done for me and chevy.

Silver LTZ
08-19-2010, 08:21 AM
This may not be from the AC. I am also having this trouble with water filling up my back passenger floorboard. I was 500 miles from home when I first noticed it. I called back to my local dealer and they said this was what was wrong and it should be ok til we got back. Well about the 3rd day into our trip the car quits shifting and the instrument panel starts flashing different warnings. The car quits shifting into high and jerks everytime it shifts. I take to a repair shop where I am at. They got 3-4 gallons of water from the carpet and under the carpet. They cleared the codes and we got home. Well the next week it was wet again after we drove it while it was raining. We took it to the dealer and we was told the warranty dont cover wet conditions. After a discussion with them they looked at the car and fixed it. Still was not paid back for the 600 we had to spend on vacation. After this it has been about a month since we had any problem and it has not rained in this time either. Well just yesterday we got rain and the back floorboard filled with water again about 2 inches deep on top of the carpet. It is in the shop and they told us we had a leak from somewhere. Needless to say it is not covered by warranty and this has just about done for me and chevy.

If your still under your 3/36 water leaks are covered. Go to another dealer and call customer service.

naz123456
08-21-2010, 07:22 PM
the rear small windows might be your problem :i was washing my car with soapy water and noticed it bubbling up ; i also had the a/c on high try this trick and see if you find any leaks.

realoldman
08-22-2010, 07:14 PM
If the water is in the back passenger floor board it may be comming from the sunroof if you have one. The car is designed to transfer any water entering the sunroof around the seal to a tray under the roof and down the post between the front and back window. If this is not sealed good it can enter the car. The sunroof is designed to allow water to leak around the rubber gasket but not get into the inside of the car.

GadgetGuy1981
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
I've posted my personal experience with this on the following thread:

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7331&highlight=sunroof+leak

Seems to be sunroof related for me, and most of my "moisture" is in the headliner. 4 times now. I'll continue to update there as I make progress, or if there are any additional occurrences. So far it's required a complete replacement of the "drip tray" under the sunroof, and all 4 major drain channels/lines.

Hopefully I can learn more about what causes this and post updates!

DrivenDaily
09-03-2011, 06:20 AM
There is another thread where a guy discovered something new. Read this:

Leak Link (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63334&postcount=7)

DrivenDaily
09-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Here's another possibility:

Leak Link (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63334&postcount=7)

Rodents
09-03-2011, 08:09 PM
This bulletin is for '10 and '11 but could happen to any year '08 thru '12. Pictures won't show but if you want them, send me a PM with an email address and I'll take care of that for you, just mention the bulletin number in your PM.

#PI0096A: Water Leak into Driver/Passenger Footwell or within IP and/or Lower Dash Panel Insulators (Hush Panels) - (May 27, 2011)

Subject: Water Leak into Driver/Passenger Footwell or Within IP and/or Lower Dash Panel Insulators (Hush Panels)

Models: 2010-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI is being revised to update the repair information and add the 2011 model year. Please discard PI0096.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern
Some customers may comment on finding wet carpet in the driver or passenger footwell area. Upon further inspection, a technician may note water spotting or water accumulation within the IP structure and/or hush panel.

This condition may occur due to incomplete sealing within the roof to windshield header, A-pillar and/or B-pillar seams.

Recommendation/Instructions
Inspect the vehicle for accumulated water or water spotting in two common areas:

• Remove the IP outer trim cover and inspect for water/spotting within the end opening on the IP (1).

• Repositioning the front carpet, inspect for water/spotting between the carpet and the floorboard.

If evidence of water is found in either of these locations, inspect the affected side roof ditch for possible voids in the sealer at any of the following locations:

• At the windshield header and between the roof panel to A-pillar seam

• Between the roof panel to B-pillar seam

To inspect for, and correct this leak, complete the follow repair steps:

Remove the roof ditch molding on the side affected. Refer to Roof Weld Joint Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.

inspect for voids/gaps (1) in the seam sealer along the outboard edge of the roof ditch.
Seal all gaps with *Kent Automotive High-Tech™ Clear Seam Sealer, P/N 10200 (5 oz tube), or equivalent. Avoid excess sealer build up within the ditch while assuring any voids in the factory seal are filled.

Also inspect the forward-most edge of the ditch, assuring any gaps in the factory sealer are filled. Inspect and seal all the way to and below the rubber windshield lace (1).

Allow the seam sealer to adequately set-up, then water test by placing a water hose mid-roof near the ditch, allowing water to run forward to the A-pillar. Visually inspect for any water leaks along the inner roof and A-pillar areas.
Replace the ditch molding and dry the interior of the vehicle as needed. Refer to Roof Weld Joint Reveal Molding Replacement in SI.
* We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for, or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Rodents
09-03-2011, 08:09 PM
#09-08-57-004B: Water Leak in Trunk Area of Vehicle/Possible No Audio from Radio (Apply Seam Sealer) - (Sep 11, 2009)

Subject: Water Leak in Trunk Area of Vehicle/Possible No Audio from Radio (Apply Seam Sealer)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

2006-2009 Pontiac G6

2007-2009 Saturn AURA

This bulletin is being revised to update the Condition and Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 09-08-57-004A (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on finding either of the conditions noted below:

ē Water in the right rear area of the trunk and/or in the spare tire well.

ē No audio coming from the radio.

Cause
This condition may be caused by body seams in the body rear end panel (including one under the right tail lamp and behind the rear fascia) that may have a void in the sealer. This may allow water to leak into the trunk, and on some models equipped with a rear compartment radio speaker amplifier, water may leak onto the amplifier rendering it inoperative.

Correction
Apply seam sealer to the right side of the body rear end panel seams following these steps:

Remove the right tail lamp and rear bumper fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement in SI.

Inspect the body rear end panel to tail lamp pocket seams, noted above, for any voids in the sealer.
Clean the affected area and seal the void with Kent High Techô Clear Seam Sealer*, P/N 10200 (5 oz tube), or the equivalent.
Install the right tail lamp and rear bumper fascia. Refer to Rear Bumper Fascia Replacement in SI.
If equipped, diagnose and repair/replace the radio speaker amplifier following the information in SI.

EdG
05-08-2012, 02:56 PM
The sunroof on my 08 malibu has been leaking too. It rained all night and all day today. I came out of work to find 2 " of water on the passenger side floor. I was dreading the amount of $ the dealer would charge since my Bu now has 60,000 mi on it. I took action. I wedged my finger in between the fabric roof and the gasket in the front right corner where my roof is saturated and found a green hard plastic tube that irrigates the water from the sunroof. I think its cracked I definitely saw water dripping out of it. Im off to
Lowes. A small plastic/ pvc tube with a clamp should do it. I'll keep the forum informed.

96MN12
05-13-2012, 10:16 AM
At 60 K miles, my 08 Malibu is leaking water when it rains! I had it to the dealer for this problem when it was still under 36 mo warranty, but they said they couldnít find anything. It hasnít rained here (Phoenix area) much since I bought the car, or at least while it was not garaged. (Itís not an AC drain problem). In a heavy downpour last week, water drips excessively from the headliner where it meets the front pillar covers on both sides of the car. Going to the dealer will probably be expen$ive as I doubt that it would be covered under the extended warranty or that GM or the dealer would care that it was in before over a year ago for the same problem. There was mention of drain tubes where exactly are they located, how do you get to them? Does the pillar covers need to be removed? Help! I donít need a smelly car.

DrivenDaily
05-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Another member discovered that the seams where the roof meets the sides were not caulked correctly at the factory. Sealing them cured his problem.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-14-2012, 11:20 AM
At 60 K miles, my 08 Malibu is leaking water when it rains! I had it to the dealer for this problem when it was still under 36 mo warranty, but they said they couldnít find anything. It hasnít rained here (Phoenix area) much since I bought the car, or at least while it was not garaged. (Itís not an AC drain problem). In a heavy downpour last week, water drips excessively from the headliner where it meets the front pillar covers on both sides of the car. Going to the dealer will probably be expen$ive as I doubt that it would be covered under the extended warranty or that GM or the dealer would care that it was in before over a year ago for the same problem. There was mention of drain tubes where exactly are they located, how do you get to them? Does the pillar covers need to be removed? Help! I donít need a smelly car.

I would like to do some research about your situation with the leak concerns on your Malibu. Please, send the following information to me via private message;
-Your first and last name
-Your contact information to include your address, telephone number and e-mail address
-Your VIN and current mileage on the vehicle
-The name and location of the dealership(s) that have been involved with this
-Any additional details from the time that this has begun to current

Once I get the above information, I will be able to proceed.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Pillsbry10
08-11-2012, 09:52 PM
we just started to have this issue on the drivers side floor. is there a recall for this? there is no reason for these cars to be leaking already.

seems like these cars are becoming a lot of trouble.

1. door lock issues
2. power steering issue
3. now leaking
4. trunk shocks are dead already

and this is just what i can remember at this time of night lol and its a 2008

96MN12
08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
My 08 LTZ turned out to be the drain tubes for the sun roof. They are accessible by carefully removing the front pillar covers and carefully pulling down the corner of the headliner just enough to get your hand in to connect the tubes. Mine were green plastic tubes that were simply disconnected from their fitting. One is located on each side. Be careful that you don't bend the headliner as you will risk creasing it. Seems as though the connection should have some type of clamp on it or a snap fitting. I couldn't tell you if they were that way from day one or if the disconnect was due to possible shrinking of the tubing. If this problem repeats I will find a clamp to hold them in place. Seems kinda funny that since the dealer replaced the headline early on didn't see that the tubes were disconnected- first due to the material coming loose on the headliner where the pillar cover connects (material comming loose was likely due to water leakage from the tubes being disconnected)- second time because the tech must have folded the headliner to get it into the car - which left a long "bubble" in the headliner covering material. So far 3 months later - no more leaking! This seems like a p___ poor design - probably was cheaper for GM to do it the wrong way. I have had several cars with sun roofs in the past - Ford, Chrysler, GM included - never ever had on that leaked until this one. Hope this helps!

Trippejoe
08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I just experience the same problem water in passenger floor area. I was traveling from New Jersey to Long island with air on and some rain coming down in NY, when i got home i notice that the floor mats were completely soak and the carpet. Also notice some drips coming from the dome lights seeing this only once but got me worry about a leak in the sunroof. I'm going to take the car to the dealer let them check out the sunroof and the air conditioner.
Update: Found some water in the rubber trunk liner , never had that problem before.

daveyio87
08-14-2012, 09:38 PM
if you have a sun roof the water leak is most likely coming from the drain hoses, they come undone, Ive seen a few of them, GM will cover water leak under factory warranty and they also will cover a new headliner if the current one has water damage, i have done a few of them, they aren't fun to do, but w/e don't let a dealer tell you something isn't covered under warranty the only things that wont be are maintenance and wear items, if it comes down to it, call a gm rep.

daveyio87
08-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I've also seen leaks come from the roof moldings, where they didn't use seam sealer from the factory or the molding is coming loose.

aferchaud
08-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes my 2009 Chevy Malibu is leaking from the air conditioner. My back passenger side and front passenger side are covered in water. The first day i brought the car into the dealership they told me nothing was wrong with the car and that they would keep it to dry it out and give it back to me this morning. Well this morning no one called so I called them. I was then told yes my air conditioner was leaking but not to worry the problem was fix and the only thing holding it up was that they were letting everything dry out. You would think it shouldn't be much longer right well the shop is now about to close and I still dont' have my car or a rental car to replace it or an offer for a courtesy vehicle. If my carpet is sitting out in the blazing Louisiana heat it should be dry by now. Good gracious.

And did I mention that my car was in the shop last month for over a week for engine problems because they didn't fix the problem the first time. Chevy has the worst customer service. And I will certainly never buy another Chevy again. I can't even get a customer service rep to acknowledge me here in the forums.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d:

DrivenDaily
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes my 2009 Chevy Malibu is leaking from the air conditioner. My back passenger side and front passenger side are covered in water. The first day i brought the car into the dealership they told me nothing was wrong with the car and that they would keep it to dry it out and give it back to me this morning. Well this morning no one called so I called them. I was then told yes my air conditioner was leaking but not to worry the problem was fix and the only thing holding it up was that they were letting everything dry out. You would think it shouldn't be much longer right well the shop is now about to close and I still dont' have my car or a rental car to replace it or an offer for a courtesy vehicle. If my carpet is sitting out in the blazing Louisiana heat it should be dry by now. Good gracious.

And did I mention that my car was in the shop last month for over a week for engine problems because they didn't fix the problem the first time. Chevy has the worst customer service. And I will certainly never buy another Chevy again. I can't even get a customer service rep to acknowledge me here in the forums.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::ma d:

You could always PM her. This is a public forum and even though she represents GM she doesn't work for them; she works for a company that is contracted by GM. That means that she might not see your post. A way to make sure you contact her is to use the PM feature.

If you didn't get a car and they're keeping your car you need to call them. If you fail to get one they are to blame, but your effort is what it will take to get them to step up and do what they should.

IKSDoomsday
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
Hello everyone!

Just bought a new to me 2008 Malibu LTZ. Love the car and all but am having a problem with a water leak. Left for Cali on business and when I got back I had two inches of water sitting on the passenger floor. I know about the AC issue and since it was sitting for 9 days I know that is not the offender. Drove it home tonight after drying it out and it started pouring down rain here in Seattle...normal. Again I was able to watch drips coming from under the dash. The water seems to be coming in at the very back of the dash almost like it is coming from the firewall. Quite a bit when it rains actually. So what do you think? Want to get this taken care of asap so the mold does not start growing. The car is under warranty still as I bought it under the GM certified program less than a month ago. I also have the service contract as well. Thanks for any help!

DrivenDaily
10-31-2012, 04:49 AM
Searching this site you'll find where this exact issue has been addressed. Look for terms like body seam, etc.

It could be the seam between the roof and the body under the black strip on the roof. Sometimes they have found that the sealant was not properly applied, causing the issue.

greenman
10-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Hello everyone!

Just bought a new to me 2008 Malibu LTZ. Love the car and all but am having a problem with a water leak. Left for Cali on business and when I got back I had two inches of water sitting on the passenger floor. I know about the AC issue and since it was sitting for 9 days I know that is not the offender. Drove it home tonight after drying it out and it started pouring down rain here in Seattle...normal. Again I was able to watch drips coming from under the dash. The water seems to be coming in at the very back of the dash almost like it is coming from the firewall. Quite a bit when it rains actually. So what do you think? Want to get this taken care of asap so the mold does not start growing. The car is under warranty still as I bought it under the GM certified program less than a month ago. I also have the service contract as well. Thanks for any help!

Given you don't know the vehicle's history it could have just been in the body shop for repair for all you know. Its not likely that the previous owner would have let such a leak go unattended in the Pacific NW. Hopefully a loaner's included in your contract.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-02-2012, 11:41 AM
@IKSDoomsday, how are things going with your Malibu? Since you have stated you have only had the vehicle for a month and its CPO, I recommend taking it back to the selling dealership to have them get this taken care of.

lacettiguru
11-05-2012, 06:49 AM
I see you have trouble with you Chevys filling with water across the pond (im in the UK).
I had the same problem with my Lacetti, dealers are useless so I sourced the problem.
I know it is not the same car but it might be the same solution, and if the waranty expired its got to be worth a go.
1: buy a can of spray on waxoil (about £10)
2: remove the wing liner on the side(s) of the footwell filling with water.(plastic wheel arch thing)
3: Spray the waxoil on the bulkhead and mettal inner wing especialy on any areas where sealant hasnt been sprayed, also spray the diamond drain hole you can see if you look up that comes from the gully infront of the windscreen.
4: open the bonnet and remove the plastic gully cover and spray waxoil in there.
5:Pull back the interior carpet and cut out the sodden sound proofing.
6: Dry the sound proofing and the car floor (this may take a while).
7: Re-fit the sound proofing and stick it back to the sounproofing still in the car with parcel tape.
8: re-fit the carpet.
Your feet should now stay dry.
9: leave feadback as it is nice to know if what worked for you works for others.
lacettiguru
Ps you could spray the waxoil on any seams that dont seam adiquatly seeled and it should provide good waterproofing.

K Kane
12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a 2009 with ~50k miles (and a sunroof), and only noticed the past two rainstorms that water is dripping in at the top of the driver side roof column. So far I'm not seeing water gathered on the floor like others in the forum mention. I also don't park near a tree and have the car in a parking garage in the daytime.

Anyone have ideas to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-19-2012, 12:57 PM
@K Kane, I’m sorry to read about the leak concerns you’re going through with your Malibu.

Please, keep in mind I’m not a technician, but from the other forums I monitor, I have read about owners check to see if drain tubes from the sunroof are clogged. I’m sure there’ll be other to chime in soon.

K Kane
12-19-2012, 01:01 PM
Thank you for the response. Does Chevy have any simple schematics/diagrams of the sunroof structure and where the drains and hoses lead to help the troubleshooting?

Since76
12-19-2012, 01:14 PM
I have an 2012 Malibu with only 8000 miles. It snowed yesterday and the vehicle has started to leak in the area where the top of the A pillar and the upper corner of the windshield meet. The water was dripping on my left leg as I was driving. The inside corner of the headliner is wet by the A pillar interior plastic trim piece. It has never leaked previous to this when driving in the rain.
The vehicle does not have a sunroof.

Is it a defective windshield seal or a problem with that large seal between the roof and door tops?

With this leak and the leak in the headlight are Malibu only designed for use in area of the world where no moisture falls from the sky. Maybe a desert area but then I would probably have dust leaks. Just venting, I bought it new and just expected better quality.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-19-2012, 02:23 PM
@Since76, I’m sorry to read about the leak concerns you’re experiencing with your 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. I apologize on behalf of Chevrolet for the experience you’re going through. You don’t expect to have this happen when you purchase a new vehicle.

Under normal circumstances this would be covered under the Bumper to Bumper warranty. If you would like assistance setting an appointment to have this diagnosed and resolved please, let me know. I’ll be happy to assist where I can.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-19-2012, 02:27 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, I believe there are a couple of members on here that might have the information you’re looking for, K Kane. Your local auto parts stores might have them as well.

You can also call the Chevrolet dealership’s service department to see if they can assist you with information about your situation.

Drsafety
01-30-2013, 09:38 AM
For all of you that are having water leak issues with their Malibu...

If you have water in your floor boards or have water dripping from your headliner it is most likely coming from your sunroof. This is a design flaw of the catch pan below your sunroof that catches water that gets past the seal around your sunroof. There are drain tubes that run from this pan down each one of the support pillars through the body of the vehicle and are supposed to drain under the car. GM claims that these tubes get clogged and it is the owners responsibility to have them serviced at the owners expense. Servicing these drain tubes requires removing the headliner, detaching the drain tubes from this pan and blowing them out with compressed air. However, not all of these leaks are due to clogged drain tubes. Some vehicles have an issue with these tubes working themselves loose from the drain pan and require the headliner to be removed and the tubes re-attached. This is also, according to GM, is the owners responsibility to pay for the repair. I have had several vehicles with a sunroof and never had these types of issues.

GM claims they care about customer satisfaction, but the only offer they gave was additional incentives on my next GM purchase...Really? Needless to say We are, for the third time, trying to dry out the carpet and headliner of our Malibu and trying to get some answers from GM. My biggest worry now is that mold will develop in the carpet and padding causing health issues for anyone who rides in the vehicle including our kids.

I hope I can follow this post up in the future with a message about how helpful GM Customer service was with this issue but I guessing this won't be the case.

SeaRay245se
01-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Wow that sticks I'm glad when i got mine I didn't get the sunroof,seems they have alot of problems with them of late.

utyankee
01-30-2013, 09:25 PM
Funny this was brought up... I just had this fixed about a month and half ago. Unfortunately, I did not catch it in time as I was not driving the car for a while. But it lost a hose off the sunroof and proceeded to feed all the water behind my dash and into the harness connector accessible by the drivers side dash panel. That was good for $330...

Since76
01-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Update on my malibu moisture leaks-Took the vehicle to the dealership the beginning of January to address the various leaks. The dealership had a windshield replacement company reseal the windshield (dealership had found a small leak). The headlight replacement took some doing. Service dept was not going to replace, "bulletin" said condensation was normal. After speaking with management the new headlight was installed.
So far no more interior leak and the new headlight is dry. Glad to say the dealership made everything right!

tony0705
07-08-2013, 11:42 AM
just found out today after vacuuming my carpet it was wet . after that i went home and lifted the carpet and the whole passenger side was soaked with water:mad:... i dont know where water is getting in . i have sun roof but i checked the inside of my headliner is bone dry . please help

DrivenDaily
07-08-2013, 06:38 PM
AC drain might be a little short. It's supposed to exit the air box on the engine side of the firewall but might be leaking back in.

tony0705
07-10-2013, 07:29 AM
how will i get that fixed . is there like a hose thats unplugged ?

DrivenDaily
07-10-2013, 05:26 PM
Have you read the rest of this thread or the links to other threads with the same issue?

c24hawkins
09-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Rear passenger well is soaking wet. Pulled up the carpet and vacuumed the sound dampening material. Poured water into drip tray of sun roof. Water leaks out of the center pillar near the seat belt connector. What could be the problem? I poured water carefully and noted that water does also come out the front door grommet for the sun roof drain and also the trunk grommet for the sun roof rear drain on the passenger side. I used some low pressure air to make sure the drain lines are clear. Seems to me that the sun roof tray might be leaking. Excuse my terminology. I am not a car guy, just trying to use common sense.

DrivenDaily
09-28-2013, 01:14 PM
The tube has probably become loose or disconnected inside the rail and needs to be snugged up. Others with sunroofs have had this problem - the slip-on connection they use seems to run a little on the short side and this happens. Some have inserted a lengthening tube and/or glued it to help prevent it from happening again.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-28-2013, 03:07 PM
c24hawkins,

I am sorry you are having this concern. If you plan to have your dealership look into this concern for you, please let us know so we can assist. You can private message us your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

c24hawkins
10-28-2013, 04:03 PM
VIN is 1G1ZF57588F283317.
It was seen at Hood Chevrolet in Covington, LA. They removed the head liner and found all lines attached. I got the car back and within a few days the rear floorboard was soaked again. It had not rained at all and I didn't use any car washes. I don't see how it could have come through a sun roof. I did use the air conditioner on a trip to Florida. I soaked up the water and have checked it again for water every day. So far it is dry, but I am really perplexed where it is coming from. The front floorboard area on the passenger side is absolutely dry while the rear is soaked. :confused: I have used the air conditioner since, but not for extended times since it has just been local trips.

DrivenDaily
10-28-2013, 04:59 PM
That eliminates the sunroof drains but has the AC drain been checked?

Speed_Freak5150
10-28-2013, 06:48 PM
I would also recommend the A/C drain even though I find it odd that it is the rear floor board and not the front.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-31-2013, 02:49 PM
c24hawkins,

I have called your dealership. I will send you a private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

travisty10
01-13-2014, 01:58 PM
c24hawkins,

I have called your dealership. I will send you a private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

c24hawkins and Erica, i have the same issue with my 2009 malibu. just wondering if you figured it out.
i have tested my sunroof drains and they appear to be working properly. water pools at back seat passenger side. winter in oregon and no a/c used.

any help would be appreciated.
thanks,
Travis

DrivenDaily
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
Check your AC condensate drain. Some have found that theirs wasn't dripping outside like it should and ended up coming inside, but that was the front and not the rear.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Travisty10,

Did you plan to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this? Since we are not technicians, I am unable to provide technical advice. However, I can have your Chevrolet dealership reach out to you if you have questions for them.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

travisty10
01-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Travisty10,

Did you plan to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this? Since we are not technicians, I am unable to provide technical advice. However, I can have your Chevrolet dealership reach out to you if you have questions for them.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
not at this point. I will try to figure it out myself first. I dont have the money to let Chevy try and figure it out.
thanks
Travis