Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread. [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

Pages : [1] 2

Silver LTZ
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

For reference, here is the old thread on the topic.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748

Silver LTZ
05-06-2010, 12:19 PM
My story on this is the following. Never had any front end issues, but I did have some steering issues just like my old G6 GTP did. I wasn't getting any bad rattles and noises, but the steering felt "odd" when steering at low speeds. They ended up replacing the intermediate shaft, which in my case did nothing. Then they replaced the whole steering rack which stopped the issues.

Starship
05-06-2010, 12:42 PM
My contribution from another thread:

TSB 06-02-32-007F ("Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle ...") now covers Malibu, G6, and Aura upto 2010 MY. Click http://www.g6ownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3338 and then scroll down to the post by 06G6GTMD.

dandaco
05-06-2010, 07:14 PM
2008 Malibu 2LT V6 front end clunking:

1. My rack was replaced,
2. Right strut was replaced then old one put back
3. Strut bumpers were glued
4. Right strut boot was modified/shortened

I thought the clunking/knocking was all gone...... but it is still there on washboard roads. Dealer has been great trying to resolve the issue so I'm almost embarrassed to go back another time. Anyone have a contact at GM where I can send a "letter of concern"?

Bedbug
05-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Guys :
I just had my car in for service, one of my issues was vibration in steering wheel when I back up at low speed.

I also complained, about roof rattle, hard shifting, smelly fumes out of AC, chips on my bumper, and brakes grinding at high speed. I took info from this site and alldata.com and gave them TSB's on every complaint. The service writer say that was a big help.

Fixes :

Vibration and hard shifting is gone, they did a reprogramming on transmition better responce from pedal and smooth shifting.

Roof Rattle -- Gone - took down headliner,added foam between sun roof and overhead console.

Chips on bumper -- They touched it up, and gave me a touch up pen (no charge).

Smelly fumes from ac to outside air -- they change cabin filter with HEPA filter. ( havent tested this yet).

Brakes-- resurfaced front rotors and replaced pads with Dura-last pads. So far so good. -- They told me to keep an eye on this if it still happens bring it back.

They also did a ECM -reprogramming and changed my oil they did not use bulk oil as I requested.

And they owe me a car wash -- So far so good.

Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

Silver LTZ
05-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Smelly fumes from ac to outside air -- they change cabin filter with HEPA filter. ( havent tested this yet).

Humm, I thought our cars did not have a cabin filter?

Brossard
05-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I have also the clunk noise in front when going at low speed on small bump/joint and it's worse on non paved road. They replaced both front struts and the clunk disappeared for only 30 miles then the noise was back as before. For now, I just increase the volume of the radio to stop earing the clunk/noise as I felt nothing on the steering. My dealer told me it's not dangerous and it's like I'm the only Bu owner complaining about it.

Bedbug
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Humm, I thought our cars did not have a cabin filter?

I thought so too -- I think they BS'ed me on that one. But im not going to complain yet -- so far car is running fine. But I will bring that up to service manager the next time I go.

Silver LTZ
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
I thought so too -- I think they BS'ed me on that one. But im not going to complain yet -- so far car is running fine. But I will bring that up to service manager the next time I go.

Yeah, we don't have a cabin filter according to all the websites I have checked....

cldouglass
05-10-2010, 11:04 PM
Took my 2008 LTZ into the shop for a clunk in the right front. They kept the car overnight and called me the next day with the news, turns out that they are going to be replacing the entire rack and pinion in hopes to remedy the issue. Also said they had a service bulletin on this as well and so they greased something in the right wheel area (he told me but I forget right this minute). Service Manager said it could take up to 3 weeks or more to get the rack in but it would be safe to drive. On the way home, the whole front end seemed to be much tighter and there were no clunks. I have been driving it for the past week now and everything seems better. I will post again after they replace the rack and let you know how it goes.

Brossard
05-11-2010, 07:17 AM
This morning, after the struts last december, my dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. No change at all, the clunk still there. They finally kept my Bu for extensive test as they said it's not normal.

Brossard
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
My Bu is still at the dealership (since tuesday). They change again the intermediate shaft suspecting that the new one was also defective but it was not the case. They finally ordered the entire steering rack and a new electric motor as sometime my steering wheel was shaking when stop at light. I hope it will fix both shaking and clunk. I'm presently driving a 2010 Impala courtesy of my dealer but I still prefer my Bu !

Silver LTZ
05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
My Bu is still at the dealership (since tuesday). They change again the intermediate shaft suspecting that the new one was also defective but it was not the case. They finally ordered the entire steering rack and a new electric motor as sometime my steering wheel was shaking when stop at light. I hope it will fix both shaking and clunk. I'm presently driving a 2010 Impala courtesy of my dealer but I still prefer my Bu !

I had a Impala the last time my car was in too. I do not like that car at all. The suspension tuning is for an old lady. ;)

Brossard
05-14-2010, 05:49 PM
I got my car today after 3 days at the dealer and the clunk is finally GONE ! Here the list of pieces my dealer changed : 25962603 (Shaft kit = Intermediate shaft) and 25933396 (Steering column).

DrivenDaily
05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Feels like a whole new car, too, huh? Glad it's a happy car again. Here's hoping it stays that way.

mlkmgr
06-20-2010, 12:42 PM
have an issue with my steering wheel shaking back and forth while sitting idle and while driving down the hwy.

video on youtube to show example here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR62Gjnh1GM&NR=1

anyone else with this type of issue that can say what is wrong. out of warranty on our 08 sitting at 41k. thanks...

Brossard
06-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Yes, my steering was doing the same before they changed the electric motor. For the clunk problem that was fixed 2 month ago, still OK.

cldouglass
06-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Update on my malibu...The steering rack and pinion was replaced after waiting for five weeks. It was probably well worth it since the power steering issue is gone. The service manager says it is a known issue for the Malibu's but to date no Service Bulletin has been released. The cluck in the front was taken care of about a week prior to the rack being diagnosed as a problem (Service Bulletin is out for it) and since has been working great. Just so happened the mine and another malibu were in the shop together having the same problems, they had alread tried the power steering pump with no luck and turned to the big office at GM to make the call to replace the rack and pinion. Hope everyone has better luck with their cars but if you end up with the same problems, get it to the shop. Thanks all!

Silver LTZ
07-23-2010, 12:40 PM
FYI: I had been at the dealer today and I spoke to one of the techs who usually works on my car and who had been the one who replaced the steering rack. He told me like 5-6 Malibus come in a WEEK with this same basic issue. Plus some are on there third or forth ones! He told me many techs replace the intermediate shaft or power steering pump when it is usually the steering rack. He told me the issues with the cars that needed to be replaced ranged from a "dead" feeling at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel, vibrations while merging on the highway, odd vibrations at varying speeds, clunks and rattles, steering moaning, to all sorts of other stuff. I had this issue, and since they have replaced the parts, knock on wood, my steering has been pretty good.

PhillyMalibu
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I've noticed a clicking noise coming from what seems to be the suspension while turning. If I make a turn at anything higher than 30 mph, i get a repetitive and quite distinct click. It almost sounds like two pieces of plastic being tapped together. Any one else have this issue?

Starship
07-27-2010, 05:24 PM
If I make a turn at anything higher than 30 mph, i get a repetitive and quite distinct click. It almost sounds like two pieces of plastic being tapped together.

That's something different. The load on the steering mechanism is not much during a "turn at anything higher than 30 mph". I'd take it in for a warranty service.

BlinkQS
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
I wanted to share my experience regarding a grinding/rattle noise coming from the front end of my car when turning at parking lot speeds.

I had been driving the car with this noise for about two weeks but one weekend I went camping with the car, and the campground roads have lots of turns, and the speed limit is 15mph. So every time I turned, the noise kept occurring, it was embarrassing, because I was 400 miles away from home, with my family, and they were afraid that my car was not going to make it home because the grinding/rattle noise was pretty bad, very horrible sounding.

At first I thought it was my steering racking going bad, or the intermediate steering shaft (since this site showed me that those issues are persistent problems on these Malibus). So I take it to the dealer after I come back from camping to have it checked out. I leave it at the dealer overnight because I do not have any time to drop it off during the day, so they give me a rental from Enterprise.

They call the next day during my lunch and say they cannot replicate the noise. Well, needless to say, I was MAD. I stormed out of my office during lunch, drove to the dealership and kindly asked if I could drive with a technician.

With the technician in the passenger seat, all I had to do was drive the car for 10 FEET and turn the steering wheel, and all you could hear was GRINDING/RATTLING from the front end.

The technician said "your upper strut bearings and mounts are bad. Only one might be bad, but we'll replace both of them in case the other will go out soon too... but right now we are out of stock with those parts, we'll get them in at 7am tomorrow."

Granted, the technician was really nice and informative. I opened the hood and he pointed to the spot at the top of the struts where the parts have failed, so I felt a lot better that the problem will be fixed. I also noticed that the "mounts" were a little corroded.

But I just didn't understand why they said they drove 15 miles to try and replicate the problem, when I told them all they have to do was drive around in the parking lot and steer the wheel, and you'll hear the noise. I didn't like the fact that I had to leave work in the middle of the day.

After they replaced both upper strut mounts and bearings, there is no longer a noise coming from the front end when I turn the wheel at slow speeds.

DrivenDaily
07-30-2010, 04:37 AM
2 things in response to your thread:

1. I'm gonna watch mine. I told them that mine has a little groan when turning at slow speeds and they said it's normal.

2. Almost every time I've gotten my car back from the selling dealer it has been either filthy from the oil change tech or damaged from the work they've done. I'd call or drive back to have it rectified and after my last visit 2 weeks ago they've settled on telling me they don't want me back at their dealership. They claim I'm the only customer who calls after every visit. I doubt that's true. So I asked them why my car keeps coming back in such a dismal condition, and why I felt so concerned on this last visit that I took pictures before dropping it off AND asked the service writer to tell the techs to keep my car clean. It was not only filthy (again!) but the warranty work on the driver's door was less than acceptable. They claim they don't even have to do the work since I've been in the door and have installed non-standard equipment there. (It's the express module for the rear windows.) There's more to this story but it's here to show you the thinking at a service department. They aren't there to make you happy, and if you open your mouth you might be invited to leave. The service manager just doesn't believe that his techs are that bad, but I've got proof - the owner's son and general mgr saw it with his own eyes.

Silver LTZ
07-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Anybody have any input on this question I asked in another thread?

Originally Posted by CHILL
My car had the same exact problem. Dealer has fixed it - it is a power steering gear. I suspected power steering all along, when I posted the problem back in May.
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ
My car seems to be doing this now. When I turn the wheel while stopped, or when moving very slowly I get this odd "murring" noise and some slight vibrations in the wheel. I have had the steering rack replaced for the clunking and loose feelings a while back and that fixed that. But this is something new.

Any other input before I head back to the dealer?

DrivenDaily
07-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Anybody have any input on this question I asked in another thread?

Originally Posted by CHILL
My car had the same exact problem. Dealer has fixed it - it is a power steering gear. I suspected power steering all along, when I posted the problem back in May.
Originally Posted by SilverLTZ
My car seems to be doing this now. When I turn the wheel while stopped, or when moving very slowly I get this odd "murring" noise and some slight vibrations in the wheel. I have had the steering rack replaced for the clunking and loose feelings a while back and that fixed that. But this is something new.

Any other input before I head back to the dealer?

The groan from mine has the same symptom of a pump that isn't turning fast enough, so there isn't enough power to assist the turning of the wheel. Speed up just a little or rev it some and it goes away.

But it also sounds like two surfaces sliding across each other without sufficient lubrication.

Hard to describe, but the dealer says that GM claims it is normal. I've had a lot of cars that never sounded like this, and this is a new car. I'd like to think that it should be better engineered than this, but alas, I seem to be taking flight from reality and will return soon...

pvholgado
08-15-2010, 05:48 PM
The groan from mine has the same symptom of a pump that isn't turning fast enough, so there isn't enough power to assist the turning of the wheel. Speed up just a little or rev it some and it goes away.

But it also sounds like two surfaces sliding across each other without sufficient lubrication.

Hard to describe, but the dealer says that GM claims it is normal. I've had a lot of cars that never sounded like this, and this is a new car. I'd like to think that it should be better engineered than this, but alas, I seem to be taking flight from reality and will return soon...

My 2010 LTZ has just started the moan and groan issue - 15800 miles-but my dealer could not replicate- but I will now return armed with the forums info.

Silver LTZ
08-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Forgot to update this a few weeks back when I got my car back.

They changed the steering rack AGIAN, and "adjusted" the power steering pump and did an alignment. As of now, a few weeks later I have no issues at all with the steering. Finally....

RaineMan
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
I think the heart of this issue for V6 drivers is the fact that the steering gear and wheels are too heavy for the hydraulic fuel pump. They tried to make it as small and inconsequential to engine performance as possible, and it came back and bit them in the arse.

My Dad had the pump on his 09 replaced about 3 weeks ago, after 2 trips to the dealer about the issue. He's a salesman and spends 4 days out of 5 on the road... he doesn't have time for the car to be in the shop. Last week he traded it on a new Yukon... problem solved permanently.

cpfmg
09-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Selling dealer finally, after repeated attempts, replaced the "stabilizer bar" and bushings (I'm assuming this is GM speak for sway bar?) which seems to have eliminated the clunk at low speeds over small sharp bumps and small potholes.

Still have an occasional steering glitch which feels almost like an overboost in the steering - on suspension compression, sometimes the wheel turns almost like it has suddenly received a surge of pressure feeding back up into the wheel (Yes, this obviously can't happen with the electric steering).

Chevrolet Cust Svc
09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
cpfmg-
I have read your post. Could you please PM me more information about your steering situation from the beginning of when it started to current? I would like to perform some research.
Michelle P-Chevrolet Customer Service

08chevymalibultz
10-03-2010, 11:02 AM
After having my Transmission work done, I have noticed a weird steering sensation when turning. Which sounds like what SILVERLTZ has had on his Malibu. It also most feels like the Power Steering Pump is over working or there is not enough fluid in it. It will make a very slight sound sometimes if you listen carefully. I have noticed this in slow driving, like in parking lots and sometimes even when taking off at faster speeds when turning for a couple of seconds. “You Can Feel It In The Steering Wheel” I thought I was just being paranoid or just imagining this because of the list of Malibu problems everyone has had with their car because sometimes I don't notice/feel it. So I decided to search the site for similar problems. I know I have to bring back my Malibu to the Dealership for a new Steering wheel column Cover that is on order. I will ask them to check it out. I have a feeling they are going to say this is normal. PS. After they had worked on the Transmission and had to pull the front end apart, my front end squeak when going over bumps is gone now but now a weird Steering Wheel Problem.

C5Phil
10-04-2010, 05:43 AM
My 2010 with 19000 miles has the same issue-- has since around 4500 miles- dealer keeps saying its normal-- :eek:

I'll be waiting to see what develops... good luck

08chevymalibultz
10-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Took back the Malibu for Service and they can't seem to duplicate the problem with my steering issue. Also my squeak in the front end is back when going over hard bumps.

Starship
10-23-2010, 06:40 PM
I wonder if they had disconnected the power steering hoses. If so, minute air bubbles may be trapped. See TSB #08-02-32-004B at http://cid-54465800aad91b49.office.live.com/self.aspx/pub/TSB^_08-02-32-004B.pdf. It calls for bleeding the system under vacuum.

08chevymalibultz
10-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Starship, thank you very much for the info on Power Steering Hoses. I will have to bring this to my dealerships attention. You have been a great help and from my opinion you have been a great asset/help to this site. “Honestly, I really like my Malibu but I just want it to work correctly“. I will see if the Dealership will give this a try. I have to bring it back for a part that is on order for the Blower Switch or some kind of component that operates the blower for the vents, heater, ac, ect, there was a TSB for this problem. Your help is well appreciated. Thanks! :)

Starship
10-24-2010, 09:56 AM
I'm grasping at straws with that P/S TSB. Hope they make it right and soon. I just hate reading about new problems as a result of fixing other problems. Maybe today's vehicles are getting too complicated for the typical service department.:(

Chad
10-24-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm grasping at straws with that P/S TSB. Hope they make it right and soon. I just hate reading about new problems as a result of fixing other problems. Maybe today's vehicles are getting too complicated for the typical service department.:(

In my opinion they don't make things to last anymore to keep the cash flow from customers to service departments and dealerships. Just a thought lol.

C5Phil
10-25-2010, 07:19 AM
After having my Transmission work done, I have noticed a weird steering sensation when turning. Which sounds like what SILVERLTZ has had on his Malibu. It also most feels like the Power Steering Pump is over working or there is not enough fluid in it. It will make a very slight sound sometimes if you listen carefully. I have noticed this in slow driving, like in parking lots and sometimes even when taking off at faster speeds when turning for a couple of seconds. “You Can Feel It In The Steering Wheel” I thought I was just being paranoid or just imagining this because of the list of Malibu problems everyone has had with their car because sometimes I don't notice/feel it. So I decided to search the site for similar problems. I know I have to bring back my Malibu to the Dealership for a new Steering wheel column Cover that is on order. I will ask them to check it out. I have a feeling they are going to say this is normal. PS. After they had worked on the Transmission and had to pull the front end apart, my front end squeak when going over bumps is gone now but now a weird Steering Wheel Problem.

That's my issue too....

buster
11-05-2010, 06:57 AM
just got my 09 back from dealer, said it was fixed, replaced some kind of links in the front end. Well, on the way home it started making the clunking noise in the right side front end again. guess i will call them again.

08chevymalibultz
11-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I wonder if they had disconnected the power steering hoses. If so, minute air bubbles may be trapped. See TSB #08-02-32-004B at http://cid-54465800aad91b49.office.live.com/self.aspx/pub/TSB^_08-02-32-004B.pdf. It calls for bleeding the system under vacuum.

Took the Malibu in for Service today and they could not find a problem again. Told them about this TSB on Steering Wine/Growl Noise. Service Advisor could not find the Bulletin. Told him that I would fax it to him. That is one issue and the weird sensation in the wheel is another that they can,t seem to find. They did replace a Blower Motor Resistor/Circut. I was getting a whistling noise when blower was set about half way. TSB for that issue!

PS. Maybe I should post the Blower Issue in a Post by it's self?

08chevymalibultz
11-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Took the Malibu in for Service today and they could not find a problem again. Told them about this TSB on Steering Wine/Growl Noise. Service Advisor could not find the Bulletin. Told him that I would fax it to him. That is one issue and the weird sensation in the wheel is another that they can,t seem to find. They did replace a Blower Motor Resistor/Circut. I was getting a whistling noise when blower was set about half way. TSB for that issue!

PS. Maybe I should post the Blower Issue in a Post by it's self?

I just moved my Malibu in the driveway so my oldest daughter could get out to leave for work and I did not hear the whine/groan noise. I just wonder if the dealership did do something that they did not tell me about and the tech does not want to omit to an error on his part? Just faxed the TSB to the service advisor just before I had move the Malibu. Did not listen on the way home, had the radio up. I will have to see if it comes back and if the weird steering is still an issue! Maybe an air bubble worked it's way out? We will see after driving it some more!

08chevymalibultz
11-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Thought the steering cleared up, I was wrong. Drove about 3 miles to pick-up my son at School and the Steering noise and Sensation started again. This time my wife was with me. I had showed her how the steering was not making the noise by turning the wheel. By the time we got to the School and was backing up to park, it started with the same issues. I like my Malibu very much but I just don't know what to do with this car anymore! I might call GM if this does not get resolved soon. It is a beautiful looking car and I just wish my experience with the car was not going this way for me. Has anyone had any luck with GM reps for correcting any issues with your car?

Starship
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Sorry to hear that.:( I don't see any harm in calling the GM customer service and asking for assistance. Maybe they can direct you to a different service facility. You can't expect every dealership service department to be able to do everything equally well.

Rayspitcher41
11-10-2010, 01:20 AM
Joined this forum for my wifes car awhile ago. Never posted but I was driving my wifes car back from our one year anniversary dinner and made a right turn heard a rattle and growl. Thought I would check the forum to see and low and behold I'm not the only one. She said right after oh yea its been doing that. I'm going to take this into the dealership this weekend I'll have the TSB printed out just incase I get some guff from the service advisor, which I'm sure I will. Thanks for all the info guys.

DrivenDaily
11-10-2010, 04:21 AM
Some dealership techs have the attitude of being there to help you. I hope that's what you experience. Please post how it's going and when it's done.

Rayspitcher41
11-18-2010, 01:12 AM
so here was my experience sorry for the length. I took it in this past weekend to get fixed. I called over to Superstition springs chevrolet they where busy and left a message with a service advisor at 8 am. I did not get a call back so I called again at 12 and finally got a hold of him. He told me there is no TSB and that it was too late to bring it in, then told me I did not leave him a message. He had a pretty condescending attitude about it so I just told him I'll take my business elsewhere. Apparently this advisor is a problem because a friend of mine with a '09 Z06 had put 427 emblems on the cowl of his hood, he had the same advisor laugh and tell him a LS7 was not a 427.
Called over to chapman chevrolet and told the service advisor the problems (needed the interior trim fixed too) and he said all fixed under warranty. So I took it in and had it back within two days had to get a part from another dealer. Great experience friendly service. turned out great. Wife's happy so I am happy.

DrivenDaily
11-18-2010, 04:43 AM
Wow, that's a pleasant outcome! And it was win-win for you 'cuz you not only got it fixed but found a dealer that you appreciate. That other service writer is a joke and should be demoted to washing cars or fired.

You had a similar experience to mine on my first 'Bu. Bought an '09 from Dealer X and for 18,000 miles had nothing but terrible service experiences. Finally, after compaining every time they broke my car, they asked me to leave! So I finalized my contracts with them (cancelled them and got a refund) and went to another dealer that a manager at work suggested. Wow, what a difference! Cleaner building, better attitude, better service. So good in fact that two days later I traded it in and got my '11 - how's that for a recommendation?

Oh, and don't forget how important it is to have your wife happy! ;)

08chevymalibultz
11-18-2010, 12:23 PM
so here was my experience sorry for the length. I took it in this past weekend to get fixed. I called over to Superstition springs chevrolet they where busy and left a message with a service advisor at 8 am. I did not get a call back so I called again at 12 and finally got a hold of him. He told me there is no TSB and that it was too late to bring it in, then told me I did not leave him a message. He had a pretty condescending attitude about it so I just told him I'll take my business elsewhere. Apparently this advisor is a problem because a friend of mine with a '09 Z06 had put 427 emblems on the cowl of his hood, he had the same advisor laugh and tell him a LS7 was not a 427.
Called over to chapman chevrolet and told the service advisor the problems (needed the interior trim fixed too) and he said all fixed under warranty. So I took it in and had it back within two days had to get a part from another dealer. Great experience friendly service. turned out great. Wife's happy so I am happy.

You had a rattle and growl with your wife's Malibu and the dealership had fixed it under warranty! Can you please tells us exactly what they fixed? Did they have to replace any Steering Components? Was this a TSB that has be mentioned or something else? This would help me and the other guys if you could explain what was done for the Steering rattle and growl!

Silver LTZ
11-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Apparently this advisor is a problem because a friend of mine with a '09 Z06 had put 427 emblems on the cowl of his hood, he had the same advisor laugh and tell him a LS7 was not a 427.

The advisor should not have opened his mouth, but technically he was right. The LS7 in the Z06 is a 428, not a 427. GM calls it a 427 since it is an old big block number and Ford used to have a 428.

09LTZ
11-20-2010, 05:41 PM
yeah i get that "chuckling" sound in my front end too and i only have 11000 miles on the car. does anyone really know what that noise is and where it is coming from?

Rayspitcher41
11-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Yea it is like a pop kind of sound from the front end. The service advisor explained it as a growl when he looked up the warranty work I did not even ask about the TSB all he said was we have been getting in a lot of malibu's in with this same problem. I'll have to get the paper work but it was something in the steering that had to be replaced. The car is gone with my wife right now with all the paper work inside. I remember looking over it but cannot remember what it was exactly. I used to work at the dealership I had taken it to, but it was just 20 miles out of my way so I tried the one closest to me first.

08chevymalibultz
11-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Yea it is like a pop kind of sound from the front end. The service advisor explained it as a growl when he looked up the warranty work I did not even ask about the TSB all he said was we have been getting in a lot of malibu's in with this same problem. I'll have to get the paper work but it was something in the steering that had to be replaced. The car is gone with my wife right now with all the paper work inside. I remember looking over it but cannot remember what it was exactly. I used to work at the dealership I had taken it to, but it was just 20 miles out of my way so I tried the one closest to me first.

Please let us know! :)

troykillman
11-24-2010, 10:43 AM
I am having the same issue. Im going to keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully this gets resolved in one day.

08chevymalibultz
11-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Steering Rack replaced and now my issue/problem is gone. Starting to feel good about my Malibu again!

Silver LTZ
11-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Steering Rack replaced and now my issue/problem is gone. Starting to feel good about my Malibu again!
Could very well come back though, I am on my second one. Even the replacement racks are junk if you ask me. I got 3 months out of the first one, I am going on about 8 on the other.

08chevymalibultz
11-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Could very well come back though, I am on my second one. Even the replacement racks are junk if you ask me. I got 3 months out of the first one, I am going on about 8 on the other.

Crossing my fingers, hope this does it and does not act-up again!

markpetersonii
11-24-2010, 07:32 PM
So reading through this I've noticed that it's mainly a 08-09 problem with a few 10's. Anyone know if this is still a problem with the 11s?

Silver LTZ
11-24-2010, 08:43 PM
So reading through this I've noticed that it's mainly a 08-09 problem with a few 10's. Anyone know if this is still a problem with the 11s?

I think the problem just sometime takes time to develop. Hence why the older the car the more it happens. My old '07 G6 GTP needed a rack at 32K. The Malibu needed one at 18K and another soon after.

salgeek
11-24-2010, 08:59 PM
I've had the steering groan for a long time. Dealer and GM seems uninterested in solving several of its problems. I'm afraid I made a mistake buying this car.

Rattle in the sun roof [fixed 2x]
Squeek in the drivers door [fixed]
Front bumper is chipping paint from adjacent sheet metal [sorry - rock chip]
Passenger door lock actuator failed [fixed]
paint scratches VERY easily [sorry]
door weather stripper has rubbed severe scratches in door sills [sorry]
steering groan [sorry - added a bit of power steering fluid]
door panels are not firmly affixed to doors [no interest in seeking remedy]
drivers seat cracking [fixed] Lear seats are so pathetic

I guess I did my duty supporting my local engineers and factory workers...

markpetersonii
11-24-2010, 09:06 PM
I think the problem just sometime takes time to develop. Hence why the older the car the more it happens. My old '07 G6 GTP needed a rack at 32K. The Malibu needed one at 18K and another soon after.

Ah, makes sense I guess. That's strange though because my 07 G6 V6 didn't have any steering problems or anything crazy for that matter in the 45K miles I owned it. The only "major" issue was warped rotors. I hope this doesn't happen to me if I get one.

Krm67
11-25-2010, 02:11 PM
I'm just turning 50K miles on my '09 LTZ and my "weird" jerky steering sensations and the crunching/grinding noises have finally gotten bad enough that I took it to my local mechanic to have the rack replaced after reading these forums for months trying to decide what to do. I had them put in a re-man rack instead of the "new" Delco and my 'bu now steers better then when it was new (at least as far as i can remember lol!), All noises gone, steering pump doesn't whine anymore and it is silky smooth in turns. $500 well spent in my opinion!

DrivenDaily
11-26-2010, 04:19 AM
That's good news to hear the reapir went so well!

If you're up to it you might call GM and see if you can talk them into participating in the cost of the repair or reimbursing you completely. Your call, but you might get another reason to smile now that it's working right.

troykillman
11-26-2010, 10:12 PM
I brought mine in today, and they found that the Intermediate Shaft needed to be replaced, which they did. So far so good.

rencast
12-22-2010, 06:45 AM
My 2009 Malibu LTZ 3.6 started to clunk in the front with only 18000k on it. Took it to the dealership yesterday and also mentioned the headliner rattle. They adjusted the sunroof track and the rattle is gone. They ordered a front left strut for the clunking. Hopefully that fixes it.

mbelley
12-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Brossard since they replace the full rack and pinion is everything is ok now on your car? I just bough a malibu 2010 and have a front suspension clocking noise and drive me creasy. The dealer check all front suspension part and finally told is nothing they can do. Do you have any solution

Brossard
12-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Hi Brossard since they replace the full rack and pinion is everything is ok now on your car? I just bough a malibu 2010 and have a front suspension clocking noise and drive me creasy. The dealer check all front suspension part and finally told is nothing they can do. Do you have any solution

Right now, still going good. The front clunk didn't reappear yet after 10,000 miles. My present problem is the rear dome/map light rattle and the rear driver side roof rattle which is may be related to the sunroof as reported sometimes by other members. Will probably go to the dealer next week to have these annoying rattles fixed. Still love this car specially the handling/confortable/silent ride.

Sandhopper
12-26-2010, 12:30 PM
I had them put in a re-man rack instead of the "new" Delco

Did your dealer do this work or was this a indy shop?

bhappy2
01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
The rattle and steering wheel vibration on my 2009 Malibu LT began this summer. The rattle became louder last month so I took the car in two weeks ago. The intermediate shaft was replaced. Still rattled, but worse. The dealer changed the shaft again. (Said the first new one was bad. No lubrication.) Also changed both struts. Drove the car about 3 miles. Rattle and steering wheel vibration is still there. Turned a corner. The Traction and ESC service lights came on. Drove back to dealer. Dealer fixed the traction and ESC issue, plus found a problem with a connector at BCM. Fixed that too. Picked up my car. The rattle and vibration is still there. Now I have to go back a fourth time. I've about had it. I'm sorry I bought this car.

Starship
01-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.:) It's a shame about the problems making you unhappy because that's a cool screen name. Do let us know if there's anything we can do.

cpfmg
01-10-2011, 06:57 AM
After the trans being out 3 times so far for leaking, it's leaking again and hanging shifts again.

The front end rattle has not reappeared, but an over/underboost steering issue was "fixed" with a new steering motor, only to be replaced by a severe wander on center and pull to the right in either right or left turns... which is a very confusing symptom. If turning left, the wheel fights back to the right. If turning right, the wheel wants to turn harder right. I'm supposed to be getting the alignment checked but keep being told "drive it for a couple weeks and see if the problem persists."

rencast
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
The new strut corrected the clunking in the front. How ever it took two more trips for the rattles in the head liner. Before they adjusted the tracks the headliner could be pushed up until it hit the roof, maybe a 1". Now there is no give in the headliner at all. I do hear a little squeak from the curtain airbags every now and then. Some thing I will have to live with.

TheMuskr
01-24-2011, 04:25 PM
I also have the common shutter sound in sub zero temps. i bought the car a few months ago with about 55k on it hopefully i can get this covered. Is there an official number we can refer this problem by??

dandaco
01-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Had my rack and ISS replaced about 12,000mi ago but always heard
/felt clunk afterwards in the front end. Just had a grease pack put in the ISS that seems to have resolved the clunking for now........my fingers are crossed!

The rattle and steering wheel vibration on my 2009 Malibu LT began this summer. The rattle became louder last month so I took the car in two weeks ago. The intermediate shaft was replaced. Still rattled, but worse. The dealer changed the shaft again. (Said the first new one was bad. No lubrication.) Also changed both struts. Drove the car about 3 miles. Rattle and steering wheel vibration is still there. Turned a corner. The Traction and ESC service lights came on. Drove back to dealer. Dealer fixed the traction and ESC issue, plus found a problem with a connector at BCM. Fixed that too. Picked up my car. The rattle and vibration is still there. Now I have to go back a fourth time. I've about had it. I'm sorry I bought this car.

1983zsled
02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
My 2009 4 cyl model had a terrible front end clunk over small bumps at low speed. finally fixed with 25962603 (Shaft kit = Intermediate shaft) and 25933396 (Steering column). but I can see in another 40000 kms it'll be back again........It's already getting noisier after 5000k....good grief!

fierogt6
02-14-2011, 12:16 PM
I have had my 2010 malibu in 3 times on the front end noise issue. The dealer claims they are only permitted to srvice per TSB 06-02-32-007G which supercedes 007F. I can assure this does not correct the problem. Short of multiple trips to the dealer to "find" the root cause I am going to an independent mechanic whom I trust for his evaluation.

As this problem seems to be rather prevalent(I have rented several Malibu's this past year and each has an identical problem) I don't understand why GM has not formed a Shainin team to find the "red X".

White Diamond
02-14-2011, 07:48 PM
For 10 months I have been driving my 2010 2LT with front end noise. After testing driving a 2011 LTZ that was absolutely silent, my dealership swapped the struts and mounts from the '11 LTZ into my car. Now I can report absolutley no noise.

professor1
02-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Guys just to let you know I also had problems with front end thuds and groans on a 2010 ltz the dealer and a great tech there changed the front struts and wella noise is gone,so we move on to other things like cold start noise still working on that?

bkswick
02-26-2011, 02:36 PM
I also had the front end cluncking noise. Dealer replaced both front struts. It is a little quiter but the noise is still there. I have a feeling that with a few more miles the sound will be just as loud as before.

linuxusa
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Maybe someone can verify what I experienced, might be the cause......

have a 2009 ltz 4-cyl.

I have this knocking/rattling in the front-end as well. Its more prominent in the cold, as well. The noise I experience sounds a lot like the coolant overflow bottle, or windshield washer bottle rattling around... its not that problem in this car, but that's the general sound I hear.

A month ago, I had the struts,mounts,bearing plates replaced at the Brady Stannard Chevrolet, Brewster NY. The noise was back the next day.

I went to another dealer,(Ingersoll Automotive, Danbury CT) and told them about the noise, the looked at it and said that maybe a rim is bent? . They road-force balanced my wheels (charged me $50.00 :( ) . They found the bent rim, placed it in the rear. They also noticed that one strut seemed loose. They tightened the strut. I took the car, the noise is still there. I re-scheduled an appt. for Tues. AM.

Sat. night, I decided to look at the car myself. I took a flashlight and checked the struts out. I noticed the strut cover (black accordion looking thing) is a fairly hard plastic. After moving it a little, up and down, I heard a slight "knocking", similar to throwing an empty water bottle on the ground. I noticed that the bottom of the "Strut boot" sits against the metal Spring plate. Obviously, moving up and down, the plastic will slap against the plate and make a noise. I was trying to think of some type of foam or donut I might be able to make, but I didnt have anything around to suffice. Instead, I meerly ripped up an old t-shirt into some pieces, and wedged some pieces under the strut boot, so it would sit on a "cushion" instead of metal.

low and behold, i drove around my beat up parking lot, and the noise was lessened quite a bit. (Some moments almost eliminated).

I want to know if anyone else can test this out, and put some cushioning material (rag, foam, rubber) under their strut boot, to see if I am nuts, or did it help?

Thanks

Im also thinking, I'l I take a razor, and cut about 2 inches of plastic off of the strut boots, this will work.

*Im curious though, I think the sealer should just take the boots off for me and drive it, and see what it sounds like.

dandaco
03-29-2011, 09:21 PM
/felt clunk afterwards in the front end. Just had a grease pack put in the ISS that seems to have resolved the clunking for now........my fingers are crossed!

Grease pack seems like it has done the job! Still holding out after 5000kms......now about that rear squeek!

Youngs98
04-13-2011, 02:24 PM
I've got this sound coming out of my driver's side front end too...kind of a rattling / clunkity clunking sound especially when turning slight right while braking. The car drives fine but you can definitely hear it at lower speeds. I have a 2010 LTZ 2.4 with 5,500 miles on it--one year in service.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Youngs98,

I have read your post. Have you contacted your dealership about this? If you have what was their diagnosis of the sounds that you are experiencing?

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

Youngs98
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I've only had the car for about a month. The sound isn't that bad yet and doesn't affect driveability at this point so will likely wait and see if anything worse develops. Will report back...

dandaco
04-15-2011, 10:31 PM
It's back......Clunkity Clunk Clunk Clunkity Clunk Clunk:confused::mad:
When on gravel or bumpy roads, feels like a Hyundai Pony front end! Depressing:( Going to dealer this Monday for the 12th time (at least). Bet they'll say it's normal or almost. Somehow I think it's the bushings........ And I'll have them fix the rear squeek and minor front end oil leak :)

1983zsled
04-18-2011, 12:33 PM
As stated previously my clunking is gone for now but I was changing the winter tires over and noted the hard plastic strut protector does seem to interfere with the strut itself. I lubed the contact points at the top of the tower and it does seem quieter. Someone previously had mentioned that in the post but I think they actually trimmed some of the plastic off.....

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-19-2011, 07:32 AM
1983zsled,

Thank you for sharing your experience as you were changing your tires over. I am sure that many owners on the forum will appreciate this information.

I hope that you week is going well so far. In the future, don’t hesitate to contact me with questions or concerns.

JDouglee
04-20-2011, 05:41 AM
My 08 LTZ has done the parking lot speed clunk since day one. I've read this entire thread and I'm completely baffled! Guess I'll take it on into the dealer and see what happens. But I'm at 30,000 and nothing has fallen off yet! ;o)

linuxusa
04-20-2011, 08:20 AM
A little while back I had posted that I had quieted the clunking by placing "cushioning" in between the plastic(accordian)boot and the bottom strut plate. I had an appt. at the dealer to look at the clunk. I took out the cushioning so it would make noise for the dealer the next morning.

I took the car to the dealer, and the noise would not happen!!!
No matter where the service tech and I went, the clunk wouldn't come back.
I felt quite silly, but they told me come back whenever it starts again.

What I think "solved" it temporarily, was when I was removing my make shift "cushioning", I pushed the plastic boot up into the top strut mount... where it should be.

After time, the boot grommet must slip out of the top strut mount, then the hard plastic boots end up slapping on the bottom strut mount.

I'm going to push the boots again up into the top strut mount, and I'll let you know if it helps... (I wont be able to touch my car until Sat., Im on a trip), but will keep you posted.

I'm hesitant to go to the dealer, and have another wasted day.
I'm wondering if in the aftermarket world, their struts are better?
Has anyone had their struts replaces with after market and had them be quiet?

Chevy and GM have been nice in attempting to rectify this issue. Unfortunately, it seems that its un-fixable. I'm betting if a survey was sent out to all 08' and newer Malibus, this problem would exist. Most drivers get accustomed to knocks and squeeks, or turn their radios up, so issues don't get reported.

Next person you see with a Malibu on the road, you HAVE to ask them "Does your front end clunk?"

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-20-2011, 10:50 AM
JDouglee,

I have read that you are going to be taking your 2008 Malibu into the dealership. I look forward to ready the update of your visit.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-20-2011, 02:03 PM
linuxusa,

Thank you for sharing the information about what you had done to your Malibu. I am sure that there are a lot of people that are finding the information very useful.

I apologize that the dealership couldn’t diagnose what is going on because the noise would not happen. When you experience this again, please let me know.

dandaco
04-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Been raining in Ottawa Canada area.....so I didn't take the Bu in to the dealer for the squeek and clunking. Must wait for dryer weather for the squeek to come back. I did notice that the clunking decreases in wet weather. Gets much more noticable in warm-dry or freezing-dry weather. Definitely looking forward to LinuxUSA's follow-up on "the boot grommet must slip out of the top strut mount". I thought my clunking could be the bushings but dealer told me in the past that they're tight. Could it be that the bushings are just on the edge of being bad?

As for Linux's point on the plastic boots, has anyone tried to spray thick grease under the plastic boots? If yes, did it help? What kind of grease? Would that damage the shock's seals?

It's back......Clunkity Clunk Clunk Clunkity Clunk Clunk:confused::mad:
When on gravel or bumpy roads, feels like a Hyundai Pony front end! Depressing:( Going to dealer this Monday for the 12th time (at least). Bet they'll say it's normal or almost. Somehow I think it's the bushings........ And I'll have them fix the rear squeek and minor front end oil leak :)

elcompaLalo
04-20-2011, 09:09 PM
I just got my car from the dealership yesterday, had the steering wheel clunk for like 6 months. Feeling real fortunate that there is a great dealership in my area and that they have gone above and beyond the norm to help me with my issue.

Called last week on Tuesday to schedule an appointment to get it fixed, the clunk would happen at low speeds turning in either direction. When I drop it off on Wednesday the service writer asked in further detail about the problem and I explained how I had already taken it in (at that same place) for the exact same issue. He checked the system and verified it was fixed under warranty at 23K miles nearly 2 years ago. Now at 43K it was way past the 1 year/12K warranty they offer on all repairs, and repair costs would come out of my pocket. Fine by me if it wasn't too involved, I asked if it had become a routine on how they "fix" the clunk by now. Since we all know that these cars are plagued by this issue and his response was that he would make an effort to help me out. The intermediate steering shaft would most likely be the issue and lubricating it would solve the problem. After leaving the car for a day I get a call back and am told it wouldn't be a simple fix (as thought originally) that the intermediate steering shaft was on order. I would get a call back when it comes in so I could drop the car back off, at no cost to me of course. A huge relief that the whole thing would be replaced and hope it won't be back any time soon.

These things don't happen often as it is very difficult to get repairs done well past the expiration of your warranty. I'm just grateful that the people I dealt with were understanding and cooperative. The one and only time I had ever had any type of warranty work done on my Malibu was for the clunk issue, not one other issue.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-21-2011, 07:53 AM
elcompaLalo,

I am happy to read that you have a dealership that provides you with the customer service that you expect and deserve. It is awesome that this repair is going to be performed at no cost to you!

If you have questions or concerns in the future, don’t hesitate to contact me.

PCweber
04-26-2011, 08:53 PM
Many of our cars are now falling outside warranty coverage miles. SO, anyone who finds success with aftermarket struts or steering racks please post as much info as possible to this thread if possible. It sure looks like anyone with the thoughts of keeping their Malibu for 200k miles like many Camery and Accord owners do may need 4-6 sets of struts and 5-8 steering rack assemblies.

rugeroid
04-30-2011, 01:41 AM
My 2010, with about 13,000 miles appears to be suffeering from this issue. I have only about a quarter mile of decent gravel road to my house, and the front end of this car rattles like a jackass in a tin barn, in case you've not heard one, it's quite annoying! I'll be taking it in soon. I have a very good dealer, and am confident they will help out with this issue. I will keep you posted on their findings.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-03-2011, 11:10 AM
My 2010, with about 13,000 miles appears to be suffeering from this issue. I have only about a quarter mile of decent gravel road to my house, and the front end of this car rattles like a jackass in a tin barn, in case you've not heard one, it's quite annoying! I'll be taking it in soon. I have a very good dealer, and am confident they will help out with this issue. I will keep you posted on their findings.

I am glad to see that you are planning to work with your local dealership regarding this concern. Please feel free to keep me updated. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

96lt4c4
05-03-2011, 09:44 PM
My 09 has already had a rack installed and is still making the rattle noise. It did nothing for the rattle at all. Mine happens while going over bumpy roads. I can also shake the stearing wheel while the car is sitting still and get it to make the noise.

DrivenDaily
05-04-2011, 05:11 AM
If you can reproduce the issue at will then take it to the shop (don't use Bob Hook!) and show them with a tech looking on. It's a covered component if you're under Bumper-to-Bumper. If it's been repaired within the last 12/12K then it's covered as well even if you're out of B2B.

96lt4c4
05-04-2011, 06:40 AM
If you can reproduce the issue at will then take it to the shop (don't use Bob Hook!) and show them with a tech looking on. It's a covered component if you're under Bumper-to-Bumper. If it's been repaired within the last 12/12K then it's covered as well even if you're out of B2B.

I have a few months left bumper to bumper. Its funny that you say not to use Bob Hook, thats where I bought it. I know thier body shop is horrible! I have never had them do any service so thanks for the input. Where would you reccomend taking it around Louisville? The car leaked water into the drivers side rear floor with all this rain as well. With all the stuff on this forum that I am reading about these cars I may just get rid of it. I do not want to put up with all this crap. GM must have paid off Motor Trend to make this car of the year....

96lt4c4
05-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Made an appointment with Bachman Chevrolet at 7:30 Monday morning. 5-9-11

rugeroid
05-04-2011, 11:37 AM
I had my appointment yesterday, and addressed this clunk issue, as well as a couple recalls, one on side curtain airbag, and another on an ecm reprogram. I am happy to announce that that awful clunk is GONE. They replaced , I believe, an intermediate steering shaft. Nothing was done to steering gear, etc, just this one shaft. Took about 2 hours for all this work, in which time my salesperson took me to lunch. I'm really blessed with a great dealership that somehow can make dealing with problems a painless experience. Oh yeah, the name of this dealer is White's Queen city motors, located in Spearfish, South Dakota. It's a rare thing to find a dealer that offers top notch customer care in ALL DEPARTMENTS, from sales, to service, to the parts department. I may sound like an addvertisment for them, but in the years I've dealt with them, this is normal, and to be expected at all times. One of the reasons I never really got to excited about this issue was my faith in their ability, and willingness to address it.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
I am glad to hear that the issue has been resolved and that you have had such a good experience with the dealership. Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the update. Keep us posted. I'll look for more information then.

zachfishman
05-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Do we know if GM has altered/fixed what was causing issues with the intermediate steering shaft? I've had the same issue "resolved" on my 2008 Malibu LS twice now.

BlinkQS
05-05-2011, 10:50 PM
A couple of days ago I took my car to the dealer and had asked them to please fix the clunk in my steering, and a knocking noise coming from the front-passenger side wheel area. Lo and behold, they actually fixed the issues. And for once, I am actually happy with this car. Prior to these repairs, this car was very frustrating to drive. But now the steering is sharp, and the ride is finally quiet, just like it should have always been.

Proof of what was done:

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/411/shaft2.jpg

I don't know how much replacing the Intermediate Steering Shaft costs, but I do know that the "Stabilizer Shaft Link" costs around $67, and is made in Brazil if you really wanna know. I bought another one out of my own pocket that I will be replacing on the front-driver's side. Just so I know I have two new ones on the car (on both sides).

Next on my list of stuff that I'm replacing are two LTZ wheels, because they are slightly bent. I know this because when I was getting the tires balanced, the technician said two of the rims were bent. I am even able to feel it in the steering wheel when those two rims are on the front of the car (but nothing can be felt when they are on the back). I'm also going to be getting rid of the crappy Goodyear LS2 tires, and putting on the better Hankook Optimo H727 tires (they currently have a $40 rebate).

And last, but not least, I am replacing the two front struts, and two rear shocks with Monroe units. They are currently offering a rebate on their products as well.

So when all this is said and done, hopefully my car will finally have an ultra smooth ride.

PCweber
05-06-2011, 02:11 AM
BinkQS,
Is the "Stabilizer Shaft Link" those vertical links that run up & down parallel to the struts that look to be sized for maybe the Smart Car? Please report what you find/ feel your results were on the struts & link replacements as I am thinking of the same project. Also, I think now Monroe has complete struts & springs as a unit. Called "speed struts" Are you going to try those?

96lt4c4
05-06-2011, 06:27 AM
Do we know if GM has altered/fixed what was causing issues with the intermediate steering shaft? I've had the same issue "resolved" on my 2008 Malibu LS twice now.

I doubt they will, its probablly cheaper for them to just keep sticking the same part back on the car until they are all out of waranty. Since the new model is coming in 2012 anyway it will all be different.

96lt4c4
05-06-2011, 06:33 AM
BinkQS,
Is the "Stabilizer Shaft Link" those vertical links that run up & down parallel to the struts that look to be sized for maybe the Smart Car? Please report what you find/ feel your results were on the struts & link replacements as I am thinking of the same project. Also, I think now Monroe has complete struts & springs as a unit. Called "speed struts" Are you going to try those?

You are talking about the sway bar end links. They are small on every car becasue they do not need to be very big to do thier intended job. Most of the aftermarket ones are long bolts with a metal sleve and some bushings.

http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/719k5252.jpg

08chevymalibultz
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Hey BlinkQS,

It is good to hear your Dealership finally fixed you car, you had to wait a long time to get it fix like many of us with the rack problem! I am hoping mine holds and does not act-up again like some have experienced!

Let us know how you like the H727 tires when you get them on the Malibu. They should give you some decent traction in the snow and also give a nice soft ride.

Just maybe our Malibu’s will turn into a decent car, now we have gotten most of our issues resolved.

Good Luck!

zachfishman
05-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Let us know how you like the H727 tires when you get them on the Malibu. They should give you some decent traction in the snow and also give a nice soft ride.

Yes please. I've been looking at tires recently and these are at the top of my list of choices.

MariaT
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
I have a 2009 Malibu...just recently a noise started in the steering wheel some where, and can only hear it when you turn the steering wheel in either direction. Have not taken it to the dealer yet..I was curious is anyone has this problem and would anyone know what it could be and if maybe a squirt of some lube would possibly help this.

elcompaLalo
05-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I just got my car from the dealership yesterday, had the steering wheel clunk for like 6 months. Feeling real fortunate that there is a great dealership in my area and that they have gone above and beyond the norm to help me with my issue.

Called last week on Tuesday to schedule an appointment to get it fixed, the clunk would happen at low speeds turning in either direction. When I drop it off on Wednesday the service writer asked in further detail about the problem and I explained how I had already taken it in (at that same place) for the exact same issue. He checked the system and verified it was fixed under warranty at 23K miles nearly 2 years ago. Now at 43K it was way past the 1 year/12K warranty they offer on all repairs, and repair costs would come out of my pocket. Fine by me if it wasn't too involved, I asked if it had become a routine on how they "fix" the clunk by now. Since we all know that these cars are plagued by this issue and his response was that he would make an effort to help me out. The intermediate steering shaft would most likely be the issue and lubricating it would solve the problem. After leaving the car for a day I get a call back and am told it wouldn't be a simple fix (as thought originally) that the intermediate steering shaft was on order. I would get a call back when it comes in so I could drop the car back off, at no cost to me of course. A huge relief that the whole thing would be replaced and hope it won't be back any time soon.

These things don't happen often as it is very difficult to get repairs done well past the expiration of your warranty. I'm just grateful that the people I dealt with were understanding and cooperative. The one and only time I had ever had any type of warranty work done on my Malibu was for the clunk issue, not one other issue.

I have a 2009 Malibu...just recently a noise started in the steering wheel some where, and can only hear it when you turn the steering wheel in either direction. Have not taken it to the dealer yet..I was curious is anyone has this problem and would anyone know what it could be and if maybe a squirt of some lube would possibly help this.

Not as easy as giving it a little squirt here or there. The quote above yours was my post a couple pages back. If your still under warranty just have your local dealership take care of it.

MariaT
05-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Thank you elcompLalo for your reply here..Unlike your problem with the clunk noise you have had a problem with,so far mine doesn't have a clunking sound, just a squeak like two things of whatever material is rubbing together when turning the wheel in any direction..seems that early when the car is first used or driven the noise isn't there and when the temps are warmer in the day the noise is heard more prominently. I am going to take it to the dealer just to be sure that if anything major is involved that hopefully the dealer here will do just as the one you use did for you.

professor1
05-09-2011, 05:15 AM
Maria I to had this problem on a 2010 ltz and dealer replaced the entire Strut system 6 mths ago and now everything is working fine,PS Don't let them push you around this is your car and you just want it fixed the first time and not the 2nd or 3rd.

96lt4c4
05-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Here is a video of the noise that my car is making. It is getting worse, I dropped it off this morning. When driving you only hear it over bumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VJax9M6yI

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM
MariaT,

I would take elcompaLalo’s advice and get the Malibu into the dealership. This is the best avenue to start with this.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-09-2011, 04:08 PM
96lt4c4,

Thank you for posting that video. Would you mind providing us with updates of what the dealership is having to say or do about this?

96lt4c4
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
96lt4c4,

Thank you for posting that video. Would you mind providing us with updates of what the dealership is having to say or do about this?

Michelle,

Picked the car up this afternoon from Bachman Chevrolet in Louisville KY. They made to 2 repairs to the car. The fixed a water leak in the drivers side rear door and replaced the intermidiate steering shaft and the car made the same noise as soon as I pulled out of the parking lot. I will be giving Allen Leewe, service advisor, a call in the morning.

Thanks
Tim

dandaco
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Been getting drier weather for the last few days so my Bu is going in tomorrow for the following repairs again: front-end clunking, rear squeeking, and now an oil leak:( . My car has been out of warranty but the writeup has been so long and often that the dealer is still treating it as goodwill (they could never pinpoint the problem but have been sooo cool). I almost feel guilty for bringing in the car again:o.....but the noises are driving me nutso. As per my previous posts, the car has been in for service tooooo many times for suspension/steering issues including a new rack, new right strut, new ISS, later an ISS grease pack (fixed the steering clunk), new rear link, power steering flush (I paid for that)....... and now an oil leak (not sure from where:rolleyes:)

Not sure what else they will try to get rid of the front-end clunks... maybe bushings or links this time or struts (again). I believe the rear squeak has something to do with the parking brake cable (goes away when rolling and pressing p-brake). Hope the leak isn't serious.

And BTW, I treat this car like a baby.

Will keep u posted.

Been raining in Ottawa Canada area.....so I didn't take the Bu in to the dealer for the squeek and clunking. Must wait for dryer weather for the squeek to come back. I did notice that the clunking decreases in wet weather. Gets much more noticable in warm-dry or freezing-dry weather. Definitely looking forward to LinuxUSA's follow-up on "the boot grommet must slip out of the top strut mount". I thought my clunking could be the bushings but dealer told me in the past that they're tight. Could it be that the bushings are just on the edge of being bad?

As for Linux's point on the plastic boots, has anyone tried to spray thick grease under the plastic boots? If yes, did it help? What kind of grease? Would that damage the shock's seals?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
dandaco,

Thank you for the update of your situation. I look forward to reading the new update of your most recent visit. I am glad to read that the dealership has been treating you well. I completely understand the frustration that you are going through.

After I read an update of your most recent visit to the dealership, I will know what needs to be done next.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Dear Tim,

I hope that you don’t mind that I call you by your first name?

I completely understand the frustration that you must be feeling. I would like to research your situation more. Would you mind providing me additional information? Please, check your private messages for the information that I will need.

Oncewasarental
05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Mine makes the same noise as in the video, and when accelerating from a stop I get a hard clunk if the wheel is turned. The dealer has replaced the ISS twice and the front left strut once and that stupid noise is still there. I have right at 32,500 miles on my Bu. To you GM techs, anything I can tell the dealer so that i dont have to keep taking it back? This will be the 4th time in in 4 weeks....... :(

dandaco
05-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Some history on my Bu:
1. Bought it with 49,000km knowing that it was still under warranty
2. Soon after, rear squeaks and multiple front-end clunks appeared
3. Car has been serviced way too often for the squeaks and clunks and dealer continued to provide goodwill coverage after the 60,000km warranty expired
4. Issues never completely resolved. For example, rear link replaced, but squeak remained. Rack and ISS replaced and grease pack added to fix steering clunk but suspension clunks remained even after some suspension repairs too.
5. Currently has 84,000km .....squeaks remain and suspension clunks persist when driving over a sequential small road bumps, train tracks, driveway entrances etc.
6. I have a long history of posts in this forum describing my Bu's problems.

So I left the car at the Chevy dealership this morning to fix the clunking and squeak again and now an oil leak. I told them to keep the car for a couple of days and drive it home and around so that they could experience the issues in everyday driving themselves......I should get it back in the next couple of days. In the past, the service rep repeatedly told me not to worry about the clunking and squeaking and that they would repair these under warranty/goodwill since they were never completely fixed. My service rap sheet was so long and well-documented anyways. However this time, the service rep told me that GM would again have to approve any goodwill repairs but that I could not expect them to continue to approve such coverage forever..... that GM would have to stop putting money into my car at some point???? I reminded him that the clunking and squeaking had never been completely repaired (as he knows). Service rep is a really a great guy... he told me that it was his job to inform me of the possibility that GM may not cover this (I guess he had been instructed to inform me of this). I repeated that there have always been clunks and squeaks in one form or another, even after all the money GM has put into this car, I told him that GM should absolutely continue to cover the repairs for past issues until they resolve them. I was on fire :mad inside but kept my cool on the outside.

Anyways, I will post my service results after I get my car back. Hopefully the dealership will be as reasonable as it has been in the past; However, I may have to count on Michelle P. (Chevrolet Customer Service from this forum) to help me out if things are not resolved.

When I think about it myself, I have been very calm and patient myself.....I have brought the car in for service way too many times without ever asking GM for a loaner even after all the times my car slept overnight in their garage.

When I left the dealership this morning, I asked my service rep to confirm whether or not my car was the first one off the production line :D...you never know?

Been getting drier weather for the last few days so my Bu is going in tomorrow for the following repairs again: front-end clunking, rear squeeking, and now an oil leak:( . My car has been out of warranty but the writeup has been so long and often that the dealer is still treating it as goodwill (they could never pinpoint the problem but have been sooo cool). I almost feel guilty for bringing in the car again:o.....but the noises are driving me nutso. As per my previous posts, the car has been in for service tooooo many times for suspension/steering issues including a new rack, new right strut, new ISS, later an ISS grease pack (fixed the steering clunk), new rear link, power steering flush (I paid for that)....... and now an oil leak (not sure from where:rolleyes:)

Not sure what else they will try to get rid of the front-end clunks... maybe bushings or links this time or struts (again). I believe the rear squeak has something to do with the parking brake cable (goes away when rolling and pressing p-brake). Hope the leak isn't serious.

And BTW, I treat this car like a baby.

Will keep u posted.

dandaco
05-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank you....will update soon. May need your help.

dandaco,

Thank you for the update of your situation. I look forward to reading the new update of your most recent visit. I am glad to read that the dealership has been treating you well. I completely understand the frustration that you are going through.

After I read an update of your most recent visit to the dealership, I will know what needs to be done next.

96lt4c4
05-11-2011, 06:31 AM
5. Currently has 84,000km .....squeaks remain and suspension clunks persist when driving over a sequential small road bumps, train tracks, driveway entrances etc.

This describes my car to a T.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-11-2011, 11:46 AM
dandaco,

I look forward to your update. If you need to, just send me a private message with your questions or concerns. I say this if it will be easier on you.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Oncewasrental,

Please, check your private messages. I have requested additional information about your situation with your Malibu.

Oncewasarental
05-11-2011, 07:31 PM
PM sent, thank you!

24waysout
05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Suspension problems are just the latest of many problems I have had with my 08 Malibu LT2.

Apparently the front strut mounts and bearing are gone. We will see if this solves the issue later today. I purchased an extended warranty but apparently these aren't covered under that.

I am so disappointed in this car that I may never buy another GM vehicle again, unless it's a truck, because that's the only thing they can seem to get right.

Edit: Correct Spelling

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-12-2011, 02:46 PM
24waysout,

Would you mind providing the details of the situation that you are experiencing with your 2008 Malibu?

Michelle Phillips, Chevrolet Customer Service

LT2
05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I bought a 2009 Malibu 2LT...wanted a sleeper of some sorts. Duals exhaust tips, v-6.....When I drove the car out of the dealer parking lot the steering wheel locked in place and I almost struck a light standard. The tech towed the vehicle back in the shop(don't forget this is a brand hamerrin' new car with 7 miles on the odo) and they discovered that some schmo in Detroit had forgotten to put the nut on the steering shaft. Right then and there it should have been an indicator of what I was about to face with my new Malibu. I took the car anyway...and it hasn't been anything but probelms since. Been driving GM products since I was 16....25 years now....but....It is my last GM product

Ardvark
05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Just got my 2008 Malibu back from the dealer. Replaced the "Steering Arm" at 66,000 miles due to it being "worn-out". After working with a GM Service Representative, I was only charged for the labor, $95. The service department refused to give me the worn part. I inspected the part, and commented to the service tech that it did not look or feel worn at all. I was told that I couldn't put enough pressure on it to cause the slippage that was occuring.

I'm not sure now if they've even replaced anything, or if they just performed the steps in the TSB and charged me for it.

I'm waiting to hear back from the GM Service Representative, but I'm pretty sure I'll be lodging a complaint with the BBB about this issue. I'm disappointed because up until now this has been my favorite vehicle. I'm disappointed because it took 4 phone calls, 3 hours of my time, and 2 trips to the dealership to fix the issue at my cost. I'm disappointed because I now have ZERO faith in GM Service. I'll no longer be taking my vehicle to the dealer for service, and this will be my last GM. Sad, because the new 'Bu looks like a very nice car...

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Ardvark,

I have read your post about your experience with the dealership and the part that they have replaced. Have you noticed a difference since they had replaced the Steering Arm?

Has your agent let you know when they are going to contact you with an update of your case?

I completely understand how you feel about your vehicle and the situation. I apologize that you feel that this is your last General Motors vehicle.

If you have questions or concerns, don't hesitate to contact me.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-16-2011, 10:39 AM
LT2,

So you have been experiencing issues with your 2009 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT for the past two years? Could you provide us with more information about the things that you have been experiencing with your car? How many miles do you currently have on the Malibu?

dandaco
05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
Picked the car up today after four days at the dealer service dept. They drove the Bu about 30km (18mi) during that time and reconfirmed that all suspension noises were still there as well as the oil leak. I was asked by the service rep to trust him.....things have been ordered directly from factory in USA (he would not say what was ordered).....but he amusingly asked me to have faith that all would be resolved in a couple of weeks when things arrive from factory. Maybe a new Bu as a replacement. :D Will update when all is in.

Stand by:rolleyes:

Some history on my Bu:
1. Bought it with 49,000km knowing that it was still under warranty
2. Soon after, rear squeaks and multiple front-end clunks appeared
3. Car has been serviced way too often for the squeaks and clunks and dealer continued to provide goodwill coverage after the 60,000km warranty expired
4. Issues never completely resolved. For example, rear link replaced, but squeak remained. Rack and ISS replaced and grease pack added to fix steering clunk but suspension clunks remained even after some suspension repairs too.
6. I have a long history of posts in this forum describing my Bu's problems.

So I left the car at the Chevy dealership this morning to fix the clunking and squeak again and now an oil leak. I told them to keep the car for a couple of days and drive it home and around so that they could experience the issues in everyday driving themselves......I should get it back in the next couple of days. In the past, the service rep repeatedly told me not to worry about the clunking and squeaking and that they would repair these under warranty/goodwill since they were never completely fixed. My service rap sheet was so long and well-documented anyways. However this time, the service rep told me that GM would again have to approve any goodwill repairs but that I could not expect them to continue to approve such coverage forever..... that GM would have to stop putting money into my car at some point???? I reminded him that the clunking and squeaking had never been completely repaired (as he knows). Service rep is a really a great guy... he told me that it was his job to inform me of the possibility that GM may not cover this (I guess he had been instructed to inform me of this). I repeated that there have always been clunks and squeaks in one form or another, even after all the money GM has put into this car, I told him that GM should absolutely continue to cover the repairs for past issues until they resolve them. I was on fire :mad inside but kept my cool on the outside.

Anyways, I will post my service results after I get my car back. Hopefully the dealership will be as reasonable as it has been in the past; However, I may have to count on Michelle P. (Chevrolet Customer Service from this forum) to help me out if things are not resolved.

When I think about it myself, I have been very calm and patient myself.....I have brought the car in for service way too many times without ever asking GM for a loaner even after all the times my car slept overnight in their garage.

When I left the dealership this morning, I asked my service rep to confirm whether or not my car was the first one off the production line :D...you never know?

DrivenDaily
05-16-2011, 10:37 PM
I hope your faith is rewarded!

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-18-2011, 08:42 AM
dandaco,

Thank you for the update about your situation with your Malibu. If you are not fully satisfied with your experience with your visit to the dealership and the tech, you can contact General Motors Canada at: 1-800-263-3777. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:30am through 11:30pm, and Saturdays 7:30am to 6pm EST.

I hope that you have a good Wednesday!

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

96lt4c4
05-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Got the car back from Nick at Franklin Chevrolet. The car is making the same noise. This is the 3rd time in for the same issue. This time I called them back and told them the car is doing the same thing and I was told that it is probably normal. I know it is not normal. The car was not making this noise for the first 20K miles that I drove it. What needs to be done to take this to the next step? I have been around cars for a ling time, I own 4 Chevrolets. My daily driver is a 2002 Cavalier with 170,000 miles on it and it does not have one clunck or noise in the front end.

I am not very happy with this car only having 30,000 miles on it and having parts worn out in the steering.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Dear 96lt4c4,

Thank you for providing us with an update of your situation. Please, check your private messages.

Sincerely,

Schmally
05-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Prob going to be the column and iShaft...

96lt4c4
05-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Prob going to be the column and iShaft...

I told them that is sounded like the noise is coming from the steering colunm. They told me that all GM cars make that noise when the cars is sitting still while shaking the steering wheel like in the video I posted.

I am thinking very hard about trading this thing in on a Hyundai Sonata.

Oncewasarental
05-30-2011, 10:21 PM
I told them that is sounded like the noise is coming from the steering colunm. They told me that all GM cars make that noise when the cars is sitting still while shaking the steering wheel like in the video I posted.

I am thinking very hard about trading this thing in on a Hyundai Sonata.

Take it to a different shop, and by all means dont give up. They have had mine for 2 weeks now(14 days), When I talked to them Friday they had put in a new ISS, noise still there, an ISS out of a used Malibu that was NOT making the noise, noise is still there in my car, and a new Column, noise still there, they tried different combos of the attempted solutions above to no avail, I am supposed to call them back tomorrow and see what they have found. Will update when I know more.

96lt4c4
05-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Take it to a different shop, and by all means dont give up. They have had mine for 2 weeks now(14 days), When I talked to them Friday they had put in a new ISS, noise still there, an ISS out of a used Malibu that was NOT making the noise, noise is still there in my car, and a new Column, noise still there, they tried different combos of the attempted solutions above to no avail, I am supposed to call them back tomorrow and see what they have found. Will update when I know more.

Well my car has 30,000 miles on it now. So that means if they get it fixed that in another 30, I will have to fix it. As of right now there is no updated part or recal to fix the problem, so they are putting the same parts back in the car. I drove a friends Malibu that has 53,000 miles on it and his was worse than mine. He didnt even notice the problem but he also doesnt take good care of his car either.

Let us know what finally fixes the noise in your car.

Oncewasarental
05-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Well they make 2 different designs of that I Shaft, and the newer ones make more noise(go figure), they kept it again tonight, I wish GM would just buy mine back, but i dont see that happening, I am at 33k I believe, i dont honestly remember, its been 2 weeks since Ive seen my car. But I will let you know as soon as i find out what the culprit is.

dandaco
05-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Quick update: Dealer still hasn't received the parts......:mad:

Picked the car up today after four days at the dealer service dept. They drove the Bu about 30km (18mi) during that time and reconfirmed that all suspension noises were still there as well as the oil leak. I was asked by the service rep to trust him.....things have been ordered directly from factory in USA (he would not say what was ordered).....but he amusingly asked me to have faith that all would be resolved in a couple of weeks when things arrive from factory. Maybe a new Bu as a replacement. :D Will update when all is in.

PCweber
06-01-2011, 04:26 AM
96lt4c4, I you do go get a Sonata please come back and tell us how it compares after a few months. The Sonata or the Optima are likely ly next car. I have a 97 Geo Tracker with 158k miles on it as my 5th vehicle spare if either kid, wife, etc, have car issues. I jumped in it last night and ran to get mower gas. It steers and has no front end noise whatsoever. So GM has done this right in the past. it amazes me the amount of front end crap in these cars. I have finally told my wife to ignore all the noises and we will just get her a different car later in the year. Ours has the IS clunking, the rack groan when you turn it when not moving, and the typical rattles & cluncking on bumpy road areas.

96lt4c4
06-01-2011, 06:36 AM
I really thought GM had started to make a good solid well-built car when I bought my Malibu. I thought this car would be up on quality like the Accord or Camry. But this car is just the same old crap they have always built made to look expensive. It may actually be even worse on quality than other older GM cars. I am a reliability lab technician for a very large manufacturing company and I see every day what engineers are made to do in order to make a product cheaper. If they can thin out sheet metal .001 of an inch to save a penny over the whole cost of the product they will do it. Eventually you have a piece of crap product. Which is what I think has happened with the Malibu.

One good example is most newer GM cars do not get clear coat in the door jams, under the hood, around the trunk, just base coat. Some bean counter thought they could save money on paint by not clear coating these areas of the car. If you try to clean these areas with and aggressive detergent the base coat will come off all the way down to the primer.

Sorry just venting…I am really not happy with the Malibu.

Schmally
06-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Electric steering is fairly new so some noise is going to be acceptable.. I dont normally sit steel and play with my wheel, anyone who does is nuts.

Schmally
06-01-2011, 06:45 AM
Please remember people that we did buy a malibu. It looks alot better but it is a MALIBU.. I bought mine knowing this and didnt expect much more.

jeepgrady
06-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Please remember people that we did buy a malibu. It looks alot better but it is a MALIBU.. I bought mine knowing this and didnt expect much more.

So because it's a Malibu and not let's say a Caddy, we should expect an inferior product? You must be kidding.

96lt4c4
06-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Electric steering is fairly new so some noise is going to be acceptable.. I dont normally sit steel and play with my wheel, anyone who does is nuts.

I don’t sit and play with my steering wheel and I am not nuts. The noise that is heard while I shake the wheel siting still is the same noise that I hear while going over uneven roads. Shaking the wheel is a way that I can show the jack leg techs at the dealership the noise that I am complaining about. I don’t care how new electric steering is, if it’s not right then it should not have been released until they got it right. You are basically saying that because I bought a Malibu that I should except that my car is going to be a piece of crap. Well guess what...that’s not acceptable.

As far as I am concerned anything that is bad with the steering is a safety concern, have you ever seen what happens when a worn ball joint pops out of its socket? Not a very pretty site.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-01-2011, 08:12 AM
Dear 96lt4c4,

I agree with Oncewasarental; take your Malibu to another General Motors service department for a second opinion.

Sincerely,

MariaT
06-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Hmmmm.... I sure don't like what I'm reading, but can honestly say I am in total agreement, with all that has been said about the Malibu, sorry to say..
I've had so many problems with mine, that at one point I was going to turn it back in and take a risk of ruining my credit..just drive it to the dealer where I got it and tell them I don't want it and to do whatever they want with it..
Now I am having steering noises. Took it to the dealer yesterday, and of course they had to order a part...so from the sounds of all that I've been reading, I'm in for a bumpy ride once more..I will post as to what they did and if they got it fixed..Gosh I sure dread starting all over with this car and getting it repaired..

96lt4c4
06-01-2011, 08:49 AM
Dear 96lt4c4,

I agree with Oncewasarental; take your Malibu to another General Motors service department for a second opinion.

Sincerely,

I have already had it at two dealerships, should not need to take it to a 3rd.

I am leaving for vacation this weekend and will be gone for a week, so it will have to wait till I get back.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Dear dandaco,

Thank you for the update of your parts situation. I completely understand the frustration and anger that you are experiencing.

I highly recommend that you contact General Motors of Canada. Their toll free telephone number is 1-800-263-3777. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 11:30pm EST. They are also operating on Saturdays from 7:30am to 6pm EST. By calling this number you can communicate your situation and the agent should be able to research through the system about the parts that you are waiting for.

Sincerely,

Schmally
06-01-2011, 10:00 AM
So because it's a Malibu and not let's say a Caddy, we should expect an inferior product? You must be kidding.
Well, yeah! I have around these cars for the lat 10 or so years with my dealer. They have never been top of the line cars. I bought mine because it was cheap and because it looks good. Other then that I didnt expect much.

Oncewasarental
06-01-2011, 10:29 PM
The dealer has had mine for a total of 16 calendar days for this visit, a little over 22 all together, still doesnt know what the problem is...I told them if they cant fix it i dont want it back..I wish GM would take it, Id gladly buy something else.:mad:

Schmally
06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
The dealer has had mine for a total of 16 calendar days for this visit, a little over 22 all together, still doesnt know what the problem is...I told them if they cant fix it i dont want it back..I wish GM would take it, Id gladly buy something else.:mad:What noises are you hearing? Ill keep an eye out for it in my shop.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Dear MariaT,

I have read your post about your situation with your Chevrolet Malibu. I understand the emotions that you are going through with your vehicle.

Please, let me know if the parts that they are replacing takes care of the noise.

Sincerely,

Oncewasarental
06-02-2011, 07:04 PM
What noises are you hearing? Ill keep an eye out for it in my shop.

Well, one of the noises is the clunk I hear when turning the wheel back and forth or when one of the front tires goes over a bump and the other doesn't. The other noise I hear is when I take off with the wheels turned, i get a clunk/ pop from the central floorboard area. I am supposed to get it back tomorrow, they think they fixed it, we'll see. I ll let you know what the paperwork said they did to it.

Oncewasarental
06-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Well...after 23 days in the shop I finally got my Bu back...they replaced the ISS 3 separate times, the steering column, and the steering gear, they think the steering gear was what was causing it all along, they did so many things to it i wont have the paperwork until Monday, so when I get it Ill let you all know exactly what is says. Man am I glad to have her back, they even gave me a full tank of gas before they gave the car back!!

DrivenDaily
06-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Nice that you got it back, and with a tank of gas, too! Were you in a rental the whole time or just using another car?

How does the steering feel?

MariaT
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM
I have my car back after 2 different tries to get the steering fixed. First visit was to have oil changed. They had already ordered part as I had told them by email what was going on with the noise in the steering wheel, changing the oil and replacing this part on first visit. I was told after the oil change that there was still some noise in the steering gears and would have to order parts for this, took it back in for that repair was given a loaner to drive for a few hours until this was fixed. This info below is from the dealers invoice:
My problem was a squeaking noise in the steering. The dealers diagnosis and fix is this:
Cause: internal bearing failure to power steering gear and intermediate steering shaft froze up.
Fix: steering gear replacement
shaft(no more info other than shaft)
gear assembly
fluid
and the a realignment
So far so good..

Oncewasarental
06-12-2011, 06:32 PM
I was in a loaner from the dealer, perk of taking it to Jim Glover, they give loaners to anyone with an appt and over 21. Mine is good for the most part, but its making the noise again going over bumps, but not sitting still trying to replicate it with the steering wheel. The GM rep I spoke with last week said if i wasn't happy with it we could start the paperwork to see if GM would buy it back, I hate to pursue this option as i love the car but I find GM is not stepping up to the plate with these problems, esp with so many people having the same ones. Im not sure what im going to do yet but he is supposed to call me back Tuesday and Ill discuss it with him then. Thanks for all the support everyone.

Oncewasarental
06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Do any of you all with the V6 have these problems? From talking to the tech at the dealer he thinks this is mostly an issue with 4 cyl engines b/c they have electric power steering instead of the traditional hydraulic assisted. Any thoughts?

MalibuKen
06-12-2011, 08:08 PM
but its making the noise again going over bumps, but not sitting still trying to replicate it with the steering wheel.

I'm a little late to the party but are we fairly sure at this point that it really is a steering problem and NOT a suspension problem or something else causing the noise only on bumps ??

Has a GM rep. of some kind driven it and agreed that this condition is not normal ??

DrivenDaily
06-13-2011, 05:03 AM
Do any of you all with the V6 have these problems? From talking to the tech at the dealer he thinks this is mostly an issue with 4 cyl engines b/c they have electric power steering instead of the traditional hydraulic assisted. Any thoughts?

On my second V6 3.6 and both have had no clunks in the steering.

The only issue I've had was minor. When I slowed quickly on a downhill to make a U-turn at a speed higher than most people might, the steering would groan and the wheel would act like it was fighting me. I figured the pump just wasn't up to the task of so much demand at such a low engine speed. I had the dealer look at it and they determined it was working as designed. Then I read on here about Lucas Power Steering Conditioner. I didn't remove any fluid before adding 1/2 a bottle, or about 6 oz., and the noise has gone away. I guess it just needed a little more love! ;)

professor1
06-13-2011, 06:09 AM
Well let me tell you that I have a 2008 malibu ltz 6cyc with hydraulic steering and have had the steering column changed twice and the gear box changed 3 times but all is good now and running fine.My dealer knows that when I bring it in for this problem it is fixed and fixed right or iam not taking it back so far so good,I had a 2004 Malibu with electric steering and I can't tell you how many times I had this problem they ended up changing the rack and pinion twice before it was fixed right. So keep plugging Iam sure that Michelle and the chevy team will figure it out or GM will loose a lot of long time chevy customers

Oncewasarental
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm a little late to the party but are we fairly sure at this point that it really is a steering problem and NOT a suspension problem or something else causing the noise only on bumps ??

Has a GM rep. of some kind driven it and agreed that this condition is not normal ??

The dealer said they have had several people drive it, and that they could hear the problem, but they didn't acknowledge whether it was normal or not, they just fixed it. Mine was great for 2 days, now its making that noise again....

MariaT
06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Mine is a V6 and I don't have problems with a clunking sound in the front end area or in the steering wheel. I only had a squeaking or rubbing sound in the steering column. I thought the problem was inside the vehicle, but it was not. So far the noise has been taken care of. I now have a rubbing sound that sounds like it is in the wheels, not sure if it is front or back and the noise isn't that loud but I can hear it at low speeds..Not sure if that would be steering sector related or not. Will give it a month or so or less..just depends on the noise and if it gets louder or if any other problems occur.
I hope you can get your car fixed and I hope that I don't have to continue to go to the dealer with small issues, always makes me think that down the road there will be big issues and after the warranty has run out.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Dear professor1,

I have read your most recent post about your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. I am glad to read that you have a dealership that you can trust and know that they understand your stance about your vehicle and its repairs.

Don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns, in the future.

Sincerely,

Oncewasarental
06-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Well I got the paperwork for the Bu today, the dealer said they replaced the steering column, ISS, and the ENTIRE rack and pinion setup, waiting on GM to call me back tomorrow. More updates to come.

harric01
06-22-2011, 07:14 AM
I have a 2009 LS and am having the same problems with the clunking noise in the driver's side front end. They have replaced steering parts, bushing, now the drivers side strut and mount, still making the same noise. I am taking it back in tonight to have someone ride with me to reproduce the noise. This is now my 4th or 5th time of taking it in. I am the 2nd owner of this car and my GM Certified Extended Warranty is getting ready to run out in 200 miles. I don't know what to do if/when my warranty runs out, any adivce?? Getting very frustrated with my car. Thanks
Candi

MalibuKen
06-22-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't know what to do if/when my warranty runs out, any adivce?? Getting very frustrated with my car.

Be sure that you keep copies of service invoices for all the previous attempts to fix the problem.....and be sure they show the date and mileage.
If you don't have them now, GET copies from the dealer now.

Then, do what you are doing and keep on them to actually FIX the problem.
Crossing that magic mileage number should have no bearing on them fixing THIS particular problem under warranty.

I think I would suggest that they have the body shop take a look at it.
Sometimes their different perspective is helpful in finding noises.

harric01
06-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Be sure that you keep copies of service invoices for all the previous attempts to fix the problem.....and be sure they show the date and mileage.
If you don't have them now, GET copies from the dealer now.

Then, do what you are doing and keep on them to actually FIX the problem.
Crossing that magic mileage number should have no bearing on them fixing THIS particular problem under warranty.

I think I would suggest that they have the body shop take a look at it.
Sometimes their different perspective is helpful in finding noises.

Thanks! I did just call this morning and I now have all of my repair orders, shows date and mileage on them. Looks like I am on repair #6 tonight when I go back....:mad:

yundong
06-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Hello there, I am looking at getting a new car and there is a good deal on a 2008 Malibu in my area. I am researching any potential problems with the car and would like to have your feedback if possible.

I noticed in this thread that there is a common problem related to the steering in Malibus in the 2008 range. Can anyone tell me how common steering problems are in these cars and how much it would cost to fix if somehting happened after the warranty expired.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-23-2011, 09:03 AM
Dear yundong,

I have read your post about the 2008 Mailbu that you are interested in. Is this vehicle being sold by a dealership or private individual?

I would recommend contacting a Chevrolet dealership and talking with them about the information that you have seen on here and also speak with them about an approximate price if you were to purchase this vehicle and have the issue arise. I know that there are many members of the forum that will be happy to share additional details about the questions that you are asking.

Sincerely,

96lt4c4
06-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I am starting to get the run around on mine. Getting ready to go into the shop for the 5th time for the sterring noise. I know the problem has got to be coming from the steering colunm.

Customer service is trying to tell me there is nothing wrong with the car when I know there is. Last time I picked up they didnt even do anything to it, because they said they cant find anything wrong with it. So, took the service manager for a ride. On smooth road its fine but as soon as you hit uneven road it makes the noise. The only uneven road I could find was some gravel, so I drove it threw a gravel parking lot and sure enough there was the noise. I let the service manager drive and he finally admitted to hearing the noise. That was last Friday. I get a call from Customer service yesterday, Romina, she tells me that the car only makes the noise in gravel, like I am supose to except that. I think the dealership is intimidated by changing out the colunm and they just dont want to do it.

The sevice manager showed me the checklist they go threw on the Malibus when a customer is complaining of a clunking noise in the sterring. Mine has had everyting on that list but the colunm. It showed 2 versions of the ISS shaft and the crappy grease job they are supose to do to the original one to "band aid" fix until it cames back and they put the new design shaft on. I am fed up.

DrivenDaily
06-23-2011, 06:08 PM
If you've been going to Bob Hook, go somewhere else! My '09 was purchased and service there exclusively. Almost every time they touched it the either left it filthy, broke something, or didn't reassemble it correctly. When I would call about the issue they said I was the only one who did and told me to go elsewhere. So I did and now I have an '11.

If you need more info, PM me or post here. I'll share what I can to help.

CoolandClever1
06-24-2011, 03:26 PM
I just got my car out of the shop today to fix this same issue. Like some others have posted they had to replace the intermediate steering shaft on mines. So far I haven't heard or felt any clunking noises while steering since. Hopefully this is the fix for my Malibu. Will keep my eyes open on it still though.

dandaco
06-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Parts still not in since around May 10th. Spoke to service rep this week and he amusingly asked me to trust him again and that parts will be in soon. If this wasn't another goodwill repair, I'd make a big stink with GM about this. The rep told me these types of parts are rarely ordered and come directly from the factory.....that's why it takes so long. Again, He told me to trust him and that I would be very pleased....but still wouldn't tell me what the parts are.:rolleyes:

Oncewasarental
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, I finally got a call back from GM today, after they offered me a 60k mile/4 year warranty on the steering components week after last, I guess they thought i forgot because today they offered me a lousy 100 dollar credit...... I nearly dropped the phone b/c i almost couldn't contain my laughter. He is supposed to call me back by the end of the week...we'll see....:p

bullitt4204
06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Took my 2011 LS in for a loose factory spoiler (they are ordering a replacement spoiler, since they already tried to re-tape the original one which again has come loose after 2 months) and asked them to look at the front suspension at the same time, since every once in a while I would get a clunking noise. They advised me that the sway bar links needed to be replaced, and are ordering those as well. They said the struts are fine. I will take the car back in after the spoiler comes in and gets painted in about a week or so.

Overall, I'm still very satisfied with my Malibu and my Chevrolet Dealership (Joseph Chevrolet on Colerain) experience.

96lt4c4
07-01-2011, 07:51 AM
If you've been going to Bob Hook, go somewhere else! My '09 was purchased and service there exclusively. Almost every time they touched it the either left it filthy, broke something, or didn't reassemble it correctly. When I would call about the issue they said I was the only one who did and told me to go elsewhere. So I did and now I have an '11.

If you need more info, PM me or post here. I'll share what I can to help.

The "Malipoo" is gone. I needed a bigger vehicle anyway for the familly. I got a good deal on a 2007 Tahoe LT. I bought it at Bachman Chevrolet.

Leather
Tow Package
DVD
Bose
4X4
5.3 Liter active fuel management
I installed the LTZ grill

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/876205/fullsize/imag0639.jpg

Chevrolet Customer Svc
07-01-2011, 08:32 AM
Dear bullitt4204,

I have read your post about your experience with Joseph Chevrolet on Colerain. I am glad to read that they are taking care of you and your vehicle.

I look forward to reading any information that you would like to share.

In the future, don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns.

I hope that you have a great holiday weekend.

Sincerely,

bullitt4204
07-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Dear bullitt4204,

I have read your post about your experience with Joseph Chevrolet on Colerain. I am glad to read that they are taking care of you and your vehicle.

I look forward to reading any information that you would like to share.

In the future, don't hesitate to contact me with questions and/or concerns.

I hope that you have a great holiday weekend.

Sincerely,

Thanks Michelle, you have a great weekend holiday as well !

Chevrolet Customer Svc
07-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Dear bullitt4204,

You are very welcome! We are planning on taking full advantage of the three day weekend. Going to do some fishing, grillin' and fireworks.

Be safe!

snowleopard
07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Question for anyone.

My Malibu, a 2010 1LT (I4 with A6 transmission), is having a lot of rattles. It rattles every single time it is on a non-smooth surface. I've taken it in a couple times and they say they can't hear anything. Other than the fact that my thing chews through rotors, I've had my rotors rebuffed or cut about 4-5 times now (and the tech said they've cut it down to the point that next time they just need to replace the rotors entirely because they've cut too much) and I've had the car for 1 year. I hear a sound that sounds like a creaking board whenever I initially start or when the car immediately stops (like right before it stops). The rattle comes from the front left side of the car and is there 90% of the time and is bugging the crap out of me. Aside from that, I'm not liking my car being in the shop almost every two weeks for the dang rotors (and I tell them about the rattling, they say "We don't hear anything" and I haven't had the time to take them onto interstate or something to try and get them to hear).

It is not related to the steering because there are no issues with the steering wheel (other than a sqeeky squeegy sound whenever I turn the wheel left or right).

Any initial thoughts? No issues with performance in terms of how the car drives, just a really annoying rattle.

Ah, and today it started leaking oil (to some extent, it is apparently a slow leak, maybe five drops a day, but still, there might be some that didn't drop).

I know a lot of people on here have had all sorts of rattles, but I've read all of the service bulletins and none of them are what I'm describing. The rattle part yes, but the way to reproduce it is different. Speed makes no difference, position of the wheel makes no difference, turning or not makes no difference, and it happens whenever the road is even slightly not smooth (i.e. 90% of the time).

A shot in the dark, I know, but thoughts?

DrivenDaily
07-01-2011, 07:06 PM
If you can get a video with a good reproduction of the sound we might be able to help ya. Worth a shot the next time you have to go somewhere.

96lt4c4
07-05-2011, 06:11 AM
If you can get a video with a good reproduction of the sound we might be able to help ya. Worth a shot the next time you have to go somewhere.

The video that I made came back to haunt me, since I was not going to drive the car down the road and take a video, I made one sitting still. By shacking the steering wheel back and forth I could reproduce the same noise I was hearing while driving the car. Well they fought with me tooth and nail that the noise I was hearing while sitting still was not the same noise I was hearing while driving the car. Ofcourse, the noise while sitting still was "normal".....BS.

Oncewasarental
07-05-2011, 10:17 PM
The video that I made came back to haunt me, since I was not going to drive the car down the road and take a video, I made one sitting still. By shacking the steering wheel back and forth I could reproduce the same noise I was hearing while driving the car. Well they fought with me tooth and nail that the noise I was hearing while sitting still was not the same noise I was hearing while driving the car. Ofcourse, the noise while sitting still was "normal".....BS.

Take it to a different shop, its not normal, mine ended up being slack in the rack and pinion gear, they replaced the entire setup after 5 i-shafts and a steering column, and they finally fixed it. The best I could get GM to do was a 60k mile/48 month warranty on all of the steering components, electric steering motor included. Hell of a lot better than nothing! Im waiting on the paperwork in the mail now.

garyg7133
07-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Wow. After reading through some of the previous posts I feel I made the correct decision in getting rid of my '09. I had the car for about a year and a half. I got rid of it with 26k on the ODO. These were all highway miles driving between 50 and 70 mph. I had tranny problems from the get go, but what put me over the top were the myriad of thumps and clunks coming from the front end. It even got to a point that the car was shimmying on the highway. I brought it back to the dealer 4 times for the front end. They couldn't figure it out. It would thump like a bass drum up until around 40 mph and then would occasionally shimmy. Then the shimmying became more frequent. I finally brought it back for a 5th round of tests and said "while it's in there, can you rotate the tires?" When they pulled the wheels, they found that 2 tie rods and ends had failed. In addition to the lack of insight from the shop, I was simply stunned by how quickly this car was falling apart. Contrast that with our Trailblazer which has been in the shop exactly once for non-scheduled work. It is a shame because I loved how the car drove, the fuel economy, the look and just how NICE it was overall.

ChevyEK25
07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
Guys :
I just had my car in for service, one of my issues was vibration in steering wheel when I back up at low speed.

I also complained, about roof rattle, hard shifting, smelly fumes out of AC, chips on my bumper, and brakes grinding at high speed. I took info from this site and alldata.com and gave them TSB's on every complaint. The service writer say that was a big help.

Fixes :

Vibration and hard shifting is gone, they did a reprogramming on transmition better responce from pedal and smooth shifting.

Roof Rattle -- Gone - took down headliner,added foam between sun roof and overhead console.

Chips on bumper -- They touched it up, and gave me a touch up pen (no charge).

Brakes-- resurfaced front rotors and replaced pads with Dura-last pads. So far so good. -- They told me to keep an eye on this if it still happens bring it back.

They also did a ECM -reprogramming and changed my oil they did not use bulk oil as I requested.

And they owe me a car wash -- So far so good.

What was the foam and how exactly did they insert it between the sunroof and such? Also, they were really nice to give you a touch up pen for your chips huh? I got a ton and am already looking at a possible repaint...
No problems with clunking under the car? I'm going to have to get a video of the clunking sounds that happen when I go over bumps. Its so irritating.

Anyone professionally work on Malibu's around the forum?

Youngs98
07-18-2011, 09:25 AM
Finally taking the car in tomorrow morning for the squishing/clunk sound in the front end. Unfortunately due to convenience and time I am held hostage by the stealership near where I work and they are terrible. Last time I went in my name was somehow changed to "Nick" in the computer. I could go on and on...

Bottom line is the steering shaft will be replaced along with the sunroof shade since the fabric has peeled away from the leading edge and hangs into the car on hot days. I suggested they just glue it but I think they'd rather tear my interior apart instead.

Wish me luck...will keep you posted.

advancedRR
08-05-2011, 12:40 PM
ok so i just bought an 08 malibu from a toyota dealer and heard this clunk thump noise everyone is talking about especially at low speed and while turning. i had them take it throught the shop again thinking it could be a bad strut of a tie rod end and they gave it a thumbs up and a go because al checked out ok. i really like the car so i bought it and traded in a junker basically this thing as 80k miles so there is only basically the pwrtrain warr left im wondering if the steering rack and things needed to fix this is coverend under it? I sure hope so because otherwise im gonna be pissed. i think if there is a TSB for it shoudl be covered no matter what.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-06-2011, 08:29 AM
Dear advancedRR,

I have read your post about your 2008 Malibu. When you stated that you had taken it through the shop again, was this a General Motors dealership Service Department? If this shop was a General Motor Service Department, how long ago did you have the vehicle in.

I have researched about this being covered under the Powertrain Warranty. I do recommend that you contact your local Chevrolet dealership's warranty specialist about this specific part being covered under the Powertrain Warranty. I have an outline of parts that this warranty covers, but the dealership will have the specific information that you are seeking. I apologize that I cannot provide you with the warranty information that you are seeking.

A TSB document is information for the technicians at the dealership. Per my business rules I am unable to provide information from these types of documents because I am not an ASE Certified Technician. It is the choice of the technician's if they would like to provide vehicle owners with this information.

PCweber
08-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Jack the front end up on each side. Grab tire at top and bottom. if there is wiggle it is very likely lower ball joint. There are not serviceable and are a complete unit with the aluminum lower control arm. I know a guy who has 88k and jusk had clunking and I helped him diagnose it. I sure hope this is not really what all these noises are that are replacing racks, etc as the complete control arm is only $70. I helped him change it in a hour. Please watch for that with cars ging out of Warr. now as I hate to see people paying thousands for a rack. And if you do also look for a shinny new alluminum lower control arm. You cannot miss it right behind the wheel/ tire. When they are new they look nearly chrome.

advancedRR
08-07-2011, 08:20 AM
thank you for both of your inputs. im gonna test the TREs today hopefully but what im really hopinf is that the steering rack is covered under powertrain. the car has 60200 miles and counting and sliver ltz has told me im pretty much outta luck. hopefully on Monday when i take it to the shop they can have some mercy on me. i just got out of a jeep what i put 10k into parts and aftermarket stuff and this BU was supposed to eliminate all this extra spending in parts

bhappy2
08-07-2011, 08:40 AM
For the steering column rattle on my car, the intermediate shaft was replaced twice, the struts were changed, then on my third visit, the dealer finally changed out the steering column. Then the vibration and rattle went away. That was at around the 33k mileage mark. Now, at 37k, the knock is back again, exactly like when I first noticed a problem before the steering wheel vibration began. So I took it to the dealer hoping to catch the problem early, but they can't find anything wrong. The dealer did fix the broken blinker relay since that broke so close to the end of the warranty period. (It started malfunctioning at 35,800 miles. Figures.) And the gas cap doesn't close properly again, but I forgot to mention that while I was there.

advancedRR
08-07-2011, 09:27 AM
so was it covered under the power train or jsut the B2B

Oncewasarental
08-16-2011, 06:52 PM
I dont think the R&P is covered under the power train warranty. I got my letter in the mail for my FREE extended warranty...THANK GOD, I never knew being a PITA could be so helpful....I hope you get your situation figured out, I argued with GM for a month and a half before i got a strait answer,so dont give up!! Only thing im still having trouble with is the Drivers door alignment, but that's another topic... :)

Oncewasarental
08-16-2011, 08:53 PM
so i thought i would share this story. i bought my bu after having the clunking noise re checked by the toyota dealer i bought it from and of course they gave it the ok. so after talking to you all and realizing there was something wrong i took it back and said her there is a teb for what you say you couldnt hear and i want you to fix it. they had me drive it with a mechanic and of course now they can clearly hear the sound. they look the car over and determine the R and P was bad as i told them it was. then the told me how much it was going to cost me! WTF!!! i said well if your mechanics said it was fine and now after i bought it say there was a problem why wouldnt you fix it. long story short i bought it as is. Fuc*ers!!!! anyways i got them to pay for the labor and the RandP cost me 330$ and all is fixxed. Stay away from John Harvy Toyota in bossier Louisiana. I guess i made out on top though becaus i traded in a jeep wrangler with a check engine light and no front gears or drive shaft and a clutch that was chattering and a leaking rear end. but hey they never drove it. oh well. hope yall enjoy this.

Karma can be a B!TCH...but Im glad you didnt have to pay for all of the repair work.

PCweber
08-17-2011, 07:03 AM
Dude, you slandered the dealer by name and then admitted guilt in detail to what is likely felony level intended deception on the internet. (it does go on I am sure every day on cars traded in from the public every day but admitting guilt in writing in a traceable way is a not a recommended action) Great example of the internet lets people put too much info out there.

dandaco
08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Ladeeez and Jentlemans,
So guess what???????? Dealer installed the parts that took 2.5 months to arrive. Parts turned out to be insulators...... BUT front-end clunk is still there after dealer installed insulators........do I hear "frustrated!!!" :mad:. And to make things worst, dealer could not resolve the eternal rear-end squeak either. Dealer has no idea what to do anymore and is now waiting for feedback from GM engineers. Dealer took several pics of problem areas in order to send them to GM engineers.

Over the last two years, my Bu has slept at the dealer's for at least twenty days in order to try to resolve these issues....the clunks and squeaks have never been resolved in spite of the dealer's efforts.

All has been logged with GM customer service.....who is in the course of communicating with my dealer. I have at least twenty pages of service repair/attempt work orders. I will be speaking to Oncewasarental for info on how he obtained the 4yr steering/suspension extended warranty.

I'm definitely frustrated but a bit optimistic that GM engineers will drive up to my area (Ottawa Canada) to take a look at my car and resolve the problems.

I certainly don't want a $1000 dollar credit towards the purchase of a new GM product. I would luv to luv my car again.......I want it fixed.

Thoughts please?

Parts still not in since around May 10th. Spoke to service rep this week and he amusingly asked me to trust him again and that parts will be in soon. If this wasn't another goodwill repair, I'd make a big stink with GM about this. The rep told me these types of parts are rarely ordered and come directly from the factory.....that's why it takes so long. Again, He told me to trust him and that I would be very pleased....but still wouldn't tell me what the parts are.:rolleyes:

dandaco
08-17-2011, 09:55 PM
Oncewasarental,
Can you send me info regarding your GM customer service rep? I definitely feel that I deserve an extended warranty too. You and I must be "Malibu front-end clunk" blood brothers.

Regards

Take it to a different shop, its not normal, mine ended up being slack in the rack and pinion gear, they replaced the entire setup after 5 i-shafts and a steering column, and they finally fixed it. The best I could get GM to do was a 60k mile/48 month warranty on all of the steering components, electric steering motor included. Hell of a lot better than nothing! Im waiting on the paperwork in the mail now.

chevyguy8893
08-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Ladeeez and Jentlemans,
So guess what???????? Dealer installed the parts that took 2.5 months to arrive. Parts turned out to be insulators...... BUT front-end clunk is still there after dealer installed insulators........do I hear "frustrated!!!" :mad:. And to make things worst, dealer could not resolve the eternal rear-end squeak either. Dealer has no idea what to do anymore and is now waiting for feedback from GM engineers. Dealer took several pics of problem areas in order to send them to GM engineers.

Over the last two years, my Bu has slept at the dealer's for at least twenty days in order to try to resolve these issues....the clunks and squeaks have never been resolved in spite of the dealer's efforts.

All has been logged with GM customer service.....who is in the course of communicating with my dealer. I have at least twenty pages of service repair/attempt work orders. I will be speaking to Oncewasarental for info on how he obtained the 4yr steering/suspension extended warranty.

I'm definitely frustrated but a bit optimistic that GM engineers will drive up to my area (Ottawa Canada) to take a look at my car and resolve the problems.

I certainly don't want a $1000 dollar credit towards the purchase of a new GM product. I would luv to luv my car again.......I want it fixed.

Thoughts please?

I had one customer's malibu in at work that had a rear end squeak. It took about an hour of driving back and forth over a very small rise in the concrete that would make it happen, plus another person laying on the ground trying to find it. So, after all of that we found that the parking brake cable was shifting a slight amount in the hangers in the rear over the bump causing it to squeak. Of course driving down the road it was a lot worse and could be heard clearly inside, but worse outside. Anyways, I ended up lubing the contact points at the hangers and the squeak went away completely. This is just a thought that might apply to yours.

The only clunk I have ever come across with the front was always related to the intermediate shaft, but there really wasn't too many that came in with noises. There was one other that came in clunking, and the ball joint was dried up and making all sorts of horrible noises.

dandaco
08-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Chevyguy,
I hear ya re the parking brake cable. In fact, I told the dealer that the rear squeak comes from the parking brake because I can eliminate the noise repeatedly when rolling and then slowly engaging the parking brake. But somehow, this fell on deaf ears.

As for your comment re the ball joint...I will mention this to the dealer and GM service rep.......you never know:rolleyes:

Regards

I had one customer's malibu in at work that had a rear end squeak. It took about an hour of driving back and forth over a very small rise in the concrete that would make it happen, plus another person laying on the ground trying to find it. So, after all of that we found that the parking brake cable was shifting a slight amount in the hangers in the rear over the bump causing it to squeak. Of course driving down the road it was a lot worse and could be heard clearly inside, but worse outside. Anyways, I ended up lubing the contact points at the hangers and the squeak went away completely. This is just a thought that might apply to yours.

The only clunk I have ever come across with the front was always related to the intermediate shaft, but there really wasn't too many that came in with noises. There was one other that came in clunking, and the ball joint was dried up and making all sorts of horrible noises.

advancedRR
08-18-2011, 09:35 AM
Dude, you slandered the dealer by name and then admitted guilt in detail to what is likely felony level intended deception on the internet. (it does go on I am sure every day on cars traded in from the public every day but admitting guilt in writing in a traceable way is a not a recommended action) Great example of the internet lets people put too much info out there.

yeah i guess. i dunno man i sold cars for a long time and if i neglected to thouroughly look over a vehicle before giving the customer a figure on it it would be my ass getting in @#$$ with the owner of the company. as for the dealer. they did the work and its good so far but the way they went about it was just a ton of bull. and if it had happened to you you would understand

CMF Edit: Please watch the language!

Oncewasarental
08-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Oncewasarental,
Can you send me info regarding your GM customer service rep? I definitely feel that I deserve an extended warranty too. You and I must be "Malibu front-end clunk" blood brothers.

Regards

PM sent, most people would say that I was anal about the little noises, but if Im gonna pay 15K plus for something, and it has a warranty, Im damn sure going to get what I can fixed before it ends up coming out of my pocket along with the payment. Good luck man!

dandaco
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the PM. If GM wants buyers to move away from the likes of Toyota, Honda, Nissan and now Hyundai, they should definitely address basic suspension noises. Heck, I have a 2003 300M special that has a verrry stiff suspension.......but absolutely no squeaks, rattles or clunks. Our 2004 Pontiac Vibe (made by Toyota) has no suspension squeaks, rattles or clunks.

As I said before, I would love to love my Bu......but those noises drive me nutz......and the dealer is at a loss for solutions. All now in the hands of GM :mad:.

Thanks again

PM sent, most people would say that I was anal about the little noises, but if Im gonna pay 15K plus for something, and it has a warranty, Im damn sure going to get what I can fixed before it ends up coming out of my pocket along with the payment. Good luck man!

Rodents
08-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Has anyone had their strut mounts changed that it got rid of the noise, even for a little while? I only have 800 miles on mine and it sounds lousy. Working in the dealership, I know from my attempts at fixing this on other Malibu's, strut mounts get rid of it for a short time but it comes back. I'm debating getting Moog mounts for the heck of it.

JDouglee
08-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm taking mine in to the dealer tomorrow, wish me luck!

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-24-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm taking mine in to the dealer tomorrow, wish me luck!

Keep me updated in regards to your progress at the dealer. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions in the meantime. Thank you.

JDouglee
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
Will do, DeLillo Chevrolet Huntington Beach is working on it now, sent me home in a Cobalt so I can get around in the meantime. They fixed up another customer 2 days ago with the same problem so I'm hopeful.

JDouglee
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
UPDATE: Back within the day, rack & pinion and steering assembly were loose. They tightened up everything, smooth as butter now. Yay!

DrivenDaily
08-25-2011, 03:45 AM
I would be happy, too. Did they say why it loosened and if they expect it to stay tight from now on? Steering and brakes are arguably the most important systems on the car. They shouldn't be just so-so, they should be the best they can be without compromise.

JDouglee
08-26-2011, 06:16 PM
Two days later the clunk is BACK! Got a call into the dealer.

Rodents
08-26-2011, 08:10 PM
Two days later the clunk is BACK! Got a call into the dealer.

Where does the clunk sound like it's coming from? Can you feel it in the steering wheel?

hjlint
08-27-2011, 08:51 AM
The phone # to tech support is in your owners manuel. However I find that was also a waste of time as it has been with the Harrisburg Pa local Chev. Dealer. Mine is noisy all the time. Hot or cold weather. Hit a bump just right and it sounds like a worn out J...
Hedley In Pa.

JDouglee
08-28-2011, 03:15 PM
The clunk happens when turning the wheel at slow speeds, either forward or in reverse.

Rodents
08-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Look at the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall, but look back a few inches. Is the shaft metal or black? If it's metal , put a new intermediate steering shaft in it. Don't bother with the lube kit, it's a waste of time, only lasts a short time. You should be able to feel this in the steering wheel if this is the issue. You should also hear the sound coming from the drivers footwell. It can also be the stabilizer end links, could be a loose nut allowing the link to move in the strut or stablizer bar just a little. Just because the stabilzer link has no play doesn't mean it won't make noise. Usually there's working rust where the end link is fastened and that's a possible noise source. I clean off the rust and put a little lithium grease on the contact area of the end link to strut and end link to stabilizer. I usually put a new link in as well as the part numbers change from time to time. Could also be upper strut mounts, I got noisy ones in my '11 and they sound like the car is 10 years old. I'll tell you ahead of time new GM mounts won't fix anything. I've done mounts in customers cars, had them nice and quiet and a few days later the noise comes right back. When I get a chance this fall I'm putting in Moog mounts just to see what it does. Personally, I don't like GM steering and suspension parts. The aftermarket has it all over the factory stuff for durability and noise issues. That's just me though. Here's the bulletin for the intermediate shaft.

#06-02-32-007G: Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise from Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise and Perform Outlined Repair) - (Apr 5, 2010)

Subject: Clunk, Knock or Rattle Noise From Front of Vehicle While Driving or Turning Over Bumps at Low Speeds (Diagnose Noise and Perform Outlined Repair)

Models: 2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

2004-2008 Chevrolet Malibu Classic

2008-2010 Chevrolet Malibu

2005-2010 Pontiac G6

2007-2010 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information for the bolt. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-02-32-007F (Section 02 - Steering).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition 1
Some customers may comment on a clunk noise heard and felt in the steering wheel while driving at slow speeds and turning. The clunk noise may appear to be directly in front of the driver. Hitting a bump while turning can produce the clunk noise. Sometimes the noise may be duplicated when the vehicle is sitting still and the steering wheel is turned 90 degrees in either direction before initially centering the steering wheel.

Cause 1
The clunk noise may be caused by a slip/stick condition between the inner and outer components of the intermediate shaft.

Important: Revised design intermediate shafts went into production in the 2009 model year and are the only design currently available through GMSPO since approximately September 2008. Since any model year vehicle could have had a second design shaft installed, it is critical to identify it before proceeding. The revised design intermediate shafts will NOT tolerate any type of lubricant per the following instructions. Adding lube to the second design shafts will cause a clunk noise in a very short period of time. Use the following pictures to identify which design of shaft you are servicing.

Electric Assist Power Steering

(1) First Design -- Bare Steel Tube (Lube OK)
(2) Second Design -- Black Painted (DO NOT Lube)

Hydraulic Assist Power Steering

(1) First Design -- Bare Steel Tube (Lube OK)
(2) Second Design -- Black Painted (DO NOT Lube)

In the unlikely event that the source of the noise is identified as a second design shaft with black painted tube, it must be replaced.

Correction 1 (Only for First Design - DO NOT USE FOR 2ND DESIGN)
Lubricate the intermediate shaft with steering column shaft lubrication kit, P/N 26098237.

From inside the vehicle, remove the instrument panel insulator panel - left side panel to gain access to the intermediate shaft.
Remove the intermediate shaft to steering column attachment bolt.
Remove the intermediate shaft from the steering column.

Extend the intermediate shaft all the way. Using the intermediate shaft grease kit, P/N 26098237, inject the grease into the gap between the inner shaft and the outer shaft as you are collapsing the shaft. This will draw the grease into the shaft.
Cycle the shaft up and down several times to distribute the grease.
Important: Remove original thread locker material from the bolt and apply Loctite® 242 (or equivalent) to the threads of the bolt and reinstall intermediate shaft bolt.

Install the intermediate shaft to the column.
Tighten

• For electronic power steering, tighten the bolt to 49 N·m (36 lb ft).

• For hydraulic power steering, tighten the bolt to 62 N·m (46 lb ft).

Wipe off any excessive grease on the intermediate shaft to avoid damage from drips on the carpet.
Install the instrument panel insulator panel - left side.
Verify that the noise is no longer present.
Condition 2
There may be interference between the clamp and the steering gear input shaft. The clamp is beveled and if forced down on the input shaft too hard, it may cause a loose fit with the intermediate shaft to input shaft joint.

Correction 2
To correct this condition, perform the following steps:

Remove the intermediate shaft pinch bolt at the steering gear end.
Install a new bolt, GM P/N 07845238, but do not tighten the bolt at this time.

Pry the clamp up using a pry bar to position the bolt into the upper part of the groove as shown above. This will position the clamp off the bevel.
While keeping the clamp in the upper position, tighten the bolt.
Tighten
Tighten the bolt to 49 N·m (36 lb ft).

Verify that the clunk noise is no longer present.
Condition 3
Important: This condition ONLY applies to 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu/Maxx and 2005-2007 Pontiac G6.

Some customers may comment on a knocking or rattling type noise from the front of the vehicle when driven at low speeds and over bumps. The noise only occurs when the steering wheel is in the straight ahead position and sounds like the noise is in the left suspension of the vehicle or directly in front of the driver.

Correction 3
Ensure the noise is not caused by Condition # 1.
Determine the source of the noise. Install the chassis ears at the following locations:
• sway bar link - one side at a time

• upper strut mount - one side at a time

• steering gear near the pinion area

• base of the steering column housing

• radiator surge tank

If the noise is coming from the upper strut mount or sway bar link, replace as necessary and retest.
For 2004-2006 Chevrolet and Pontiac model year vehicles, the noise may be coming from the radiator surge tank area. (The 2007 model year vehicles use a different style radiator surge tank - refer to Step 9.)
If the noise is coming from the radiator surge tank, release the two retaining tabs holding the radiator surge tank and reposition the tank away from the attaching bracket and isolate with closed cell foam.
Cut three pieces of closed cell foam, P/N P46515 (or equivalent), into 25 mm (1 in) by 102 mm (4 in) pieces.
Cut two pieces of closed cell foam into 25 mm (1 in) by 6 mm (¼ in) pieces.

Install the three pieces of foam to the attaching bracket starting at the top center inside the bracket and proceed down across the fuel lines, then at the inside of the bracket at the left and right positions of the center piece of foam. Finally, install the last two pieces of foam to the inside bracket at the left and right extended sides behind the retaining holes as shown above.
Reposition the radiator surge tank back onto the bracket and seat the two retaining tabs on the tank.
Drive the vehicle to verify that the noise is no longer present.
Parts Information
Order Adhesive Back Shim Stock from Kent Automotive at 1-888-YES-KENT or online at www.kent-automotive.com.

Part Number
Description
Material Allowance

P46515
Adhesive Back Shim Stock (25 mm x 30 ft roll) [15 mm (9/16 in) thickness]
$1.60 per vehicle ($1.78 in Canada)

Part Number
Description

Intermediate Shaft Grease Kit

Bolt (Chevrolet, Pontiac)

Goombah's Malibu
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Wow, my car was a rental as well. I bought it at CarMax. I guess I'm glad I got the extended warranty. So far I really love this car. Quiet, handles good and gas with mixed driving is about 26 MPG. I don't currently have any front end noises at all. And I hope it stays that way. The car is actually as quiet as a Church mouse. But I have been doing a lot of reading on your forum. Good stuff, so far except for the complaints. Wish me luck !!! Sounds like I'm gonna need it.

hjlint
10-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Harrisburg dealer refuses to try to help with this noise. Temp doesn't make a difference. Soundow on froms like no fix available. I am going to swap out the STRUT.once I find a Made in USA strut. China made from factory on now.

MalibuKen
10-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Harrisburg dealer refuses to try to help with this noise.

If you are still under warranty, then call GM.

EnvoyBu
10-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Mine has always made a slight groaning noise when turning the steering wheel when stopped and the engine is cold.

08chevymalibultz
10-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Mine has always made a slight groaning noise when turning the steering wheel when stopped and the engine is cold.

Mine was like that when I first got my car but it had got worse over time. You maybe looking at a new Steering Column or Steering Rack or both in time!

Many say they don't have these issues and then after some miles down the road, the Steering issues seem to appear from rattles to groaning sounds to vibrations!

All I can say is to bring it to the dealership and hope for the best!

Good Luck!;)

hjlint
10-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Harrisburg dealer refuses to try to help with this noise. Temp doesn't make a difference. Soundow on froms like no fix available. I am going to swap out the STRUT.once I find a Made in USA strut. China made from factory on now.
The noise only comes when hitting the edge of a manhole cover or a wash board condition with the right front wheel. No noise from the left. Rattle is on the right side and if I hit the dip just right you canfeel it on the floor board.

EnvoyBu
10-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Mine was like that when I first got my car but it had got worse over time. You maybe looking at a new Steering Column or Steering Rack or both in time!

Many say they don't have these issues and then after some miles down the road, the Steering issues seem to appear from rattles to groaning sounds to vibrations!

All I can say is to bring it to the dealership and hope for the best!

Good Luck!;)

They already changed a seal in there to fix a TERRIBLE noise emanating from the steering wheel when a sharp turn was made. But what's weird is that it's done it since I picked it up. Other than that, the only "problem" is the moaning from starting it up when cold. I'll try to post a video. :)

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that the RPM's sometimes bounce a few 100 RPM's when the wheel is turned to back out of the driveway when cold.

EnvoyBu
10-22-2011, 04:11 PM
View My Video (http://tinypic.com/r/339ruhw/7) regarding the steering noises.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
@EnvoyBu, I can understand your frustration with having this noise since you have owned your Malibu. When was the last time that you visited the dealership for this?

EnvoyBu
10-24-2011, 03:50 PM
@EnvoyBu, I can understand your frustration with having this noise since you have owned your Malibu. When was the last time that you visited the dealership for this?

To be honest Michelle, I never really took notice of it and never really thought much of it. The dealership has changed a seal in there before in a separate incident.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
@EnvoyBu, so would you say that you have your Malibu into the dealership within the past 30 days for this?

EnvoyBu
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
IIRC, it's probably between 31-60 days.

hjlint
10-26-2011, 06:47 AM
@EnvoyBu, so would you say that you have your Malibu into the dealership within the past 30 days for this?

Hope his dealer is more willing to help than the Harrisburg, PA. dealer is helping me. This dealer said all that noise is Normal for Malibu. Sounds worse than my 2001 Van with 210,000 miles I traded for this (THING).
Will GM notify us when they finally get A fix for this?
Still would like to have a new strut or bearing installed on the right front.
Hedley Lint.

2001FZ1
10-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Has anyone replace the intermediate shaft on their own? My malibu is having the clunking in the steering wheel as described in the TSB. It has 53k miles so I'm on my own.

How hard is the job and how much? Thanks!

hjlint
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
To be honest Michelle, I never really took notice of it and never really thought much of it. The dealership has changed a seal in there before in a separate incident.

Going to the dealer any more is a waste of time. Harrisburg Dealer said that this noise is common on the Malibu and Saturn and there is nothing that can be done about It. If I have this problem fixed at an Independent, can I get any reimbersment? I know this is a dumb request.
Hedley Lint
hjlint@verizon.net

EnvoyBu
10-31-2011, 02:48 PM
^^^ I don't think they reimburse.

cleatus
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
yep- my front end clunks too. seems pointless to even bring it in.

2001FZ1
11-02-2011, 05:20 AM
yep- my front end clunks too. seems pointless to even bring it in.

My thoughts exactly. GM should be sending a letter to the people that own Malibus and say "Thank you American tax payer for bailing us out last year. As token of our appreciation, we are extending the warranties are our cars to 75,000 miles. We have also fired all the top GM managers that ran the company into the ground."
Then more of use would be able to get this known problem fixed for free.

PCweber
11-02-2011, 08:00 AM
cldouglass , Was yours covered outside of warranty? (I assume your 08 LTZ may be out of warranty other than the 100k drivetrain) Or is the rack considered drivetrain?

hjlint
11-02-2011, 08:36 AM
My thoughts exactly. GM should be sending a letter to the people that own Malibus and say "Thank you American tax payer for bailing us out last year. As token of our appreciation, we are extending the warranties are our cars to 75,000 miles. We have also fired all the top GM managers that ran the company into the ground."
Then more of use would be able to get this known problem fixed for free.

GM is like the local dealer. Once you buy the car they could care less about us. I have been buying GM since ((1947)) I'm not sure I will ever buy another one. Thinking of trying Ford or a Chrysler Van.
Good By GM.:mad::mad::mad:

Jason464
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Just had my right strut replaced. Should they be done in pairs though?

Rodents
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
I sort of stumbled across this while looking up other information. I think DD mentioned this fluid in his power steering made the noise he had go away or greatly reduced it. I know the models involved doesn't mention Malibu and I'm by no means telling anyone to use this fluid, by the same token, since GM has gone this far, I would think they have looked into it to some degree and see no need to advise against using it. Some of our newer models are using Dexron 6 instead of power steering fluid in the power steering system and it seems like that trend may continue. Just some FYI.

GM Engineering has not evaluated this product, but reports from GM Dealers of flushing and refilling the power steering system with Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners, have reduced or eliminated this noise. Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners, (Lucas PN 10442), is a synthetic base fluid and is available at most auto parts stores in pint size containers. In most applications, 6 to 8 pints will be needed to flush and fill the system.

Beginning with model year 2007 the new body style pickups and utilities along with the 2008 H2, a new design power steering pump was introduced which will help improve or eliminate this noise concern. For vehicles built prior to this change or if Lucas Power Steering Fluid with Conditioners is not readily available, install the latest design GM power steering pump available through GMSPO. Use the parts catalog to look up the correct part number for your application.

EnvoyBu
12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
^^^ I already had mine fixed for that.

dandaco
12-10-2011, 11:52 PM
Soooooooo guess what?
Dealer never found the cause of the clunks. Received a call last week from GM Canada Customer Service that they have given up and offered a 5% credit towards a new GM car:mad:. But here's the funny.....just two weeks ago, I found what I believe to be a root cause of common front-end clunk issues (hadn't yet told GM Customer Service before they phoned me about the credit). Here in Quebec, it snows...and law requires that we put on winter tires. When I was performing the tire changeover, I inspected the brakes and noticed some caliper slop that seemed to cause minor metal to metal clunking. Low and behold, after applying silicon gasket sealer to the backsides of the newly installed brake pads ......Hallelujah, bye-bye clunk:D!!! The silicon gasket sealer obviously acts as a thin shim (between the pads and the caliper/piston) and resolves the clunk issue. That said, the front-end is not yet whisper quiet when driving over a series of road bumps. I think I may have found another design issue that may cause other resonant noises from the front end. Read on.

About a month ago, when I removed the front bumper fascia to replace a burnt headlamp bulb, I noticed a black plastic composite spacer that is held onto the fascia with two bolts. These bolts are installed in a way that allows for side to side movement of the plastic spacer (between the fascia and the chassis). My theory is that this spacer may knock against the chassis when driving over bumpy roads....again resonating in the cabin. I'm thinking of taking the bumper off next spring to add some silicone gasket sealer on the plastic piece in order to act as a silicone shim between the chassis and the plastic spacer too....and thus dampening potential noises. Any thoughts???? Can Anyone try this out before me and let us all know???

As for my tranny leak, that was fixed by the dealer.....and was a major job. They took apart the subframe to do it properly. As part of the job, I believe they flushed and replaced the tranny oil. I don't know exactly what else they did but tranny sluggishness has completely gone away....and the car is now so responsive......a real rocket!

Other issue: The problem with the rear-end squeak was deemed to be the result of the emergency brake line rubbing against a part of the chassis that it feeds through. Dealer greased everything a while ago and then the squeak disappeared.......for three weeks:rolleyes:. Will be taking it back to the shop for a fix again. Seems like they have to install an insulator as well as grease in order to rectify the issue.

I think he serial number of this car is #0000001.....if you know what I mean!

Ladeeez and Jentlemans,

Thoughts please?

hjlint
12-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Soooooooo guess what?
Dealer never found the cause of the clunks. Received a call last week from GM Canada Customer Service that they have given up and offered a 5% credit towards a new GM car:mad:. But here's the funny.....just two weeks ago, I found what I believe to be a root cause of common front-end clunk issues (hadn't yet told GM Customer Service before they phoned me about the credit). Here in Quebec, it snows...and law requires that we put on winter tires. When I was performing the tire changeover, I inspected the brakes and noticed some caliper slop that seemed to cause minor metal to metal clunking. Low and behold, after applying silicon gasket sealer to the backsides of the newly installed brake pads ......Hallelujah, bye-bye clunk:D!!! The silicon gasket sealer obviously acts as a thin shim (between the pads and the caliper/piston) and resolves the clunk issue. That said, the front-end is not yet whisper quiet when driving over a series of road bumps. I think I may have found another design issue that may cause other resonant noises from the front end. Read on.

About a month ago, when I removed the front bumper fascia to replace a burnt headlamp bulb, I noticed a black plastic composite spacer that is held onto the fascia with two bolts. These bolts are installed in a way that allows for side to side movement of the plastic spacer (between the fascia and the chassis). My theory is that this spacer may knock against the chassis when driving over bumpy roads....again resonating in the cabin. I'm thinking of taking the bumper off next spring to add some silicone gasket sealer on the plastic piece in order to act as a silicone shim between the chassis and the plastic spacer too....and thus dampening potential noises. Any thoughts???? Can Anyone try this out before me and let us all know???

As for my tranny leak, that was fixed by the dealer.....and was a major job. They took apart the subframe to do it properly. As part of the job, I believe they flushed and replaced the tranny oil. I don't know exactly what else they did but tranny sluggishness has completely gone away....and the car is now so responsive......a real rocket!

Other issue: The problem with the rear-end squeak was deemed to be the result of the emergency brake line rubbing against a part of the chassis that it feeds through. Dealer greased everything a while ago and then the squeak disappeared.......for three weeks:rolleyes:. Will be taking it back to the shop for a fix again. Seems like they have to install an insulator as well as grease in order to rectify the issue.

I think he serial number of this car is #0000001.....if you know what I mean!

At least your dealer is working with you. My dealer claims this noise is normal on Malibu's and Saturns. I guess I should consider this an No-charge option.

PCweber
12-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Rodents,

Thanks for the info. Most of the posts of issues and mine are not “whining” but “groan” under load at lower rpms say in parking lots, etc. I had wondered if going to an Amsoil or something diff. for PS Fluid would be worth a try even though the factory fluid is supposed to be of synthetic type. Anyone have any input on using Dextron 6 he speaks of also?

DrivenDaily
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM
@PCweber,
I have the V6 with hydraulic PS. At low speeds and heavy demand (U-turn at 15-20 mph on a downhill) mine would groan and fight me. I added about 6 ounces of Lucas Power Steering conditioner. Sound went away and so did the fight! All I would do differently is siphon off a like amount of PS fluid before adding the Lucas. I didn't and I got a small weep at the cap. Not even a leak, it was just moist around the cap.

hjlint
12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
^^^ I already had mine fixed for that.

What was done to fix yours/ No you know?

EnvoyBu
12-13-2011, 12:55 PM
What was done to fix yours/ No you know?

According to the dealership, it was a faulty seal in the steering column. I guess they were right. It's whisper quiet now!