hooking up an amp [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: hooking up an amp

jeb2409
05-30-2010, 04:51 PM
I just bought a 2010 malibu ls. I want to hook up an amp and subs. I have all wires ran and hooked up except for the blue remote wire. I don't really want to tear everything apart to get behind the radio to hook it up. Is there any wire in the trunk that I could use?

chevyguy8893
05-30-2010, 05:18 PM
If you are using a stock cd player there would not be anything behind the radio to tap into to turn the amp on. Aftermarket would have a wire for power antenna/acc. One way would be remote turn on leads, which some amps come with, that taps into the positive and negative wires on the rear speakers, and the also send the audio to the amp. There also sound processor which amplifies the factory output for the subs if volume is limited at certain levels, this also hooks into factory speaker wires I believe. Since audio can be limited by the factory radio these are very helpful for factory radios with aftermarket subs to help with sound quality. Another thought would be a 5 volt reference that is only on when the car is on to turn on the amp. I don't know if this would work, but it is a thought. There will probably be more ideas from others.

ChevyFreak
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
One other option that is my favorite. Wire it to the battery and put a toggle switch on it. That way you can turn that off at night when your driving through neighborhoods :)

ElantraMax
05-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Use a Fuse Tap. Tie into one of the fuse boxes. On a fuse that is powered when the radio is on.
ChevyFreak has an idea. But you need to remember to turn the amp off. Or Risk a dead battery.

ChevyFreak
05-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Use a Fuse Tap. Tie into one of the fuse boxes. On a fuse that is powered when the radio is on.
ChevyFreak has an idea. But you need to remember to turn the amp off. Or Risk a dead battery.

Yeah been there done that hahaha.

I would use a spade type fuse tapper as suggested on say the windshield wipers. I believe that is the one I used on my old cavalier for the power windows. I really do recommend putting a toggle switch in that you can reach to turn them off. Cops love hearing the bumps at night and love to hear them while your pulled over :) It's just a respect thing to be able to turn them off in neighbor hoods at night. Def don't want to piss off your neighbors trust me.