2004 Malibue A/C Blower fan only works on highest setting? [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2004 Malibue A/C Blower fan only works on highest setting?

cumminsdriver
08-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Hello all, I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried searching and didn't come up with exactly what I was looking for.

My friend has a 2004 Malibu and she said that the last time it was in for an oil change it came back and the fan would only come on on the highest setting. I'm thinking it could be vacuum related IF that is how that system is controlled. I had a '01 Dodge pickup and a vacuum hose was knocked loose under the hood and it caused issues with the fan settings. Or is that just a coincidence? Any other reasons/help is appreciated I know nothing about these cars as my username suggests lol. Thanks!!

White Lightning
08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I have an 04 that only works on 3-4 and was told it's a problem with the blower motor resistor getting bad, apparently its a widespread problem on earlier gen malibu's grand am's, etc as well.

stevegantt
08-25-2010, 06:40 PM
problem most likely is the blower motor resister. It is autozone Part Number:
20262 http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1997-Chevrolet-Malibu/Blower-Motor-Resistor/_/N-j9mu2Z91tag;jsessionid=BBB97C9DAEFBAAA6BCE1905AC97 FAF7B.diyprod5-b2c15 it is located on the passanger side floorboard area, where the passanger puts his feet. You have to remove the black plastic shroud above the foot area, and I had to lay down in the passanger seat with my head where the feet go. It was fairly easy to replace/ I had more of a problem getting out of that position than replacing it. As I remember it fits inside the blower itself because it produces some heat. Problem is NOT the switch or wiring or even the blower. The resister(s) divide the voltage going to the fan to give it different voltages(speed). The blower itself only has one set of windings, so it's a matter of voltage that changes the speed. You will be able to see it easily after removing the shroud/kickplate. Its an easy fix. about $25

nirvan45
09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Stevegantt

How you removed blower cover (shroud/kickplate)
There are two clips right under in front of glove box that is easy to pop, there is one in the back that I have problem, and can't see how to unlatch without breaking anything.
My problem is battery drain that is been eliminated to a 4 amp draw from a run relay fuse that seems to go to fan blower.
I have pulled the fuse out car runs of course without air conditioner blower

Malibu00
09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
http://autorepair.about.com/library/illustrations/bl629a-lib.htm Hi I had same problem (2000 malibu) but the resister stopped working at the first setting then it was the 1st ,second then third stopped .I thought it was the switch and bought a used one but the used had the same problem so i suspected something else then the forth setting blew so I tried the used one it also was not working on the fourth setting so i was sure the problem wasnt the switch .then found out it was the resister .

cumminsdriver
09-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys. It was the resistor. 22 bucks at advance and it works like a charm!

cumminsdriver
09-16-2010, 02:21 PM
nirvan45, I just fooled with the shroud for a few minutes and finally got it to come off. You just have to wiggle and pull on it til it comes off...its kind of a pain. I wonder why they can't design things like this to be attached with 3-4 screws...guess that would make it too easy.