2000 malibu passkey system [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2000 malibu passkey system

steve6
09-25-2010, 06:29 PM
I want to install a remote car starter, and realize i need a passkey immobilizer. Is this system pk3? or pk2? I am just trying to understand exactly what I need.

will this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PassKey-III-Immobilizer-555G-G-W-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0e677411QQitemZ12050 0745233QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

or provide me with models people are buying for the people who have done it?

thanks

Starship
09-25-2010, 07:39 PM
It's Passlock on the 2000 Malibu. Just search for "gm passlock bypass kit". These things aren't rocket science.

steve6
09-26-2010, 08:14 AM
thanks, i just had the terminology wrong (passkey), i was also thinking it was pkIII, it is passlock 1 or 2

Starship
09-26-2010, 11:38 AM
With all due respect, I know you mean well but that "toggle switch" you found on your Malibu is something someone before you put there. I take it that steve6 (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/member.php?u=7087)'s looking for a plug-and-play kit that doesn't involve a permanent THEFT SYSTEM light. Still, you seem to have a solid understanding of how Passlock works. I'd love to see it in a tutorial, complete theories and pictures.

Starship
09-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Also as a small note nobody installed the toggle switch, it is built into the vehicle from the factory and if you searched for it you would probably find it in your vehicle because from what I've heard EVERY vehicle with a passlock system has one built in somewhere. If somebody had installed it themselves it would be behind the CD-player like every single guide on the internet states to put it. Not in a place that is hard to find and not readily available. My father purchased this vehicle when it was a year old (and had been a rental car previously) and nobody has done any home brew modifications to it, I read this guide online of the built in toggle switch and it's location and haven't had time to double check it's truthfulness but considering there was a second thread started where they dug up the same guy and had him post a picture of it's OEM location because most of them had trouble finding it and they all stated it worked for them. It must in fact have some validity so thank you for thinking I don't know what I am talking about and give people false advice.

I'm not doubting that you have this switch in your Malibu and have found it to be functional. However, I'm having a really hard time with your statement, "EVERY vehicle with a passlock system has one built in somewhere." I wouldn't mind getting a picture or even a part number stamped on it and the wire color on each terminal, when you get a chance (and if you feel like it, of course).

steve6
09-26-2010, 06:16 PM
I will have a look for the switch, I did not see anything when I had the panels off to put the remote car starter in. (its already installed, car will start but only run for about 3 seconds before shutting off).

I don't really want to leave the car stranded if the battery goes dead or anything, it is my GF's car and it has to operate normally. I have ordered a DEI 556LW off ebay, should do it..

DrivenDaily
09-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Guys, I'd like to ask both of you to realize that this looks like it could easily go downhill and result in one or both of you having an arguement on a public forum and pushing the limit of what will be allowed.

Please continue to post your opinions, but please also do so showing respect for each other, for other members, and for readers that visit from the public domain.

Just think before you post. It's easier than thinking before you speak, actually! ;)

Starship
09-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Starship: I didn't find it in my vehicle, I stated that multiple times, I read in another forum a guy stated that was an easy solution for somebody having a passlock issue, multiple people asked where it was and acted like he was totally blowing smoke up their asses, then somebody e-mailed him and got him to post a picture, then I read people saying that they found it and it worked. For more then just the Malibu but all N-Bodies so I assumed it must be true considering there are people that found his solution valid. So when I get the time I will track it down on my own car, just so I can shove it in your face so you'll stop doubting me like all those people doubted this random guy. I should just link the damn thread so you'll see for yourself. Actually, I'll do that later, just give me time and I will edit this post.

EDIT: http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic487882.htm

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it and I don't know if you realized but I've stated about a thousand times it seems on this website when my passlock system acted up I replaced my ignition lock cylinder and haven't had an issue since. I would appreciate an apology for continually not listening to what I said. And too bad the guys pictures aren't hosted anymore because I assume you will continue to doubt my information as well as this guys truthfulness. You did a great job at finding the one thing out of all the information I gave steve6 and focused on it because you thought you knew everything because you've seen all those guides how to bypass it by adding a toggle switch. You didn't even care about all the other possible solutions I gave him or the fact that I stated it was an unconfirmed source of information but it may be a cheap and easy solution if he took the time to find out if it was in fact true. So thanks again for trying to disassemble helpful advice from a good hearted forum member, that really makes people want to contribute their information to this forum. Just to be second guessed and treated like an idiot by somebody who the information was not intended for.

Okay, I went over what you've wrote in this thread again, line by line and post by post, and I have to admit I mssed certain key phrases like "I read this guide online of the built in toggle switch and it's location and haven't had time to double check it's truthfulness." Do accept my apology.

Also, this was never about you. Flaming and personal attacks aren't tolerated on this forum and I'd never engage in one anyway. I tend to collect all kinds of information on my rides and am not shy sharing things for which I have high confidence. Thus, your hidden switch really piqued my interest, is all.

DrivenDaily
09-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Good job, gentlemen! Thank you!

steve6
09-28-2010, 06:35 AM
I wonder if he actually tried leaving the key in the ignition and having his girlfriend carry a spare or the keyless entry remote on her to unlock the doors. Because from what I've read that is what it takes, they just frown on it because somebody could steal your car.. But if they want it so bad they will bust out a window to get it wont your insurance cover it anyway? Either way, steve6 please follow up on this, we're all anxious to hear the results.

yes I tried that, it does not work, maybe if the key is ON, but you cant leave it on.

Starship
09-28-2010, 11:02 AM
That's consistent with how Passlock works. The iginition switch has a circuitry based on the Hall effect sensor. When the key turns the lock cylinder, the Hall effect sensor machanism turns with it which switches in the built-in resistor on the sense circuit to the BCM. The BCM then compares the resistance value to what it had learned before. The theft deterrence lies in that forcefully turning the lock cylinder without the key will destroy the Hall effect sensor.

steve6
10-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Just an update for anyone who reads this in the futre.

I purchased a "DEI 555LW", it installed in 6 wires, and worked great. was about $30 on ebay. Its a simple bypass and only activates when the remote starter is on, original factory security is still in place with this unit.

Starship
10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the update.:) It's going to help out a lot of folks. It looks like it may even be a good solution for those who don't like playing with resistors and soldering irons.:D

Bassjunkie06
11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
gUYS GUYS!!! I need help!!!! I have a 2000 Chevy Malibu but don't have the original remote to open the doors. I don't even know if the alarm system works. Is there a possible way to check if it's disconnected? I have the extra remote that it came with and when I try to sync it nothing happens. Is there a way that it could have been turned off or something? I'm tired of having to use my key to open the doors, very annoying. Please help...
Should I invest $100 in buying an Auto Page Remote Start/ Alarm on ebay better?

Starship
11-03-2010, 06:41 PM
Just take it in to a dealership or automotive locksmith. It needs a scan tool or equivalent that supports the Program Key Fobs function. If you have multiple key fobs, bring them all.

Bassjunkie06
11-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Just take it in to a dealership or automotive locksmith. It needs a scan tool or equivalent that supports the Program Key Fobs function. If you have multiple key fobs, bring them all.

what is a key fob? and do you have an idea of how much this cost?

Bassjunkie06
11-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Ok I now know what a key fob is and I don't have the original, I have the Spare that it came with, would this work? Thanks for the reply.

Starship
11-04-2010, 04:28 PM
At first I couldn't figure out what this has to do with Passlock. It sounds like the vehicle is new to you. You may want to check the battery inside the spare key fob (see page 2-9 in the owner's manual http://content.gmownercenter.yahoo.com/docs/manuals/chevrolet/2000_chevrolet_malibu_owners.pdf). If it turns out to be a dud (as in not a coin battery problem), you may want to pick up a couple from online sources and then take them in and get them programmed.