Rain X vs. Waxing the windshield [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Rain X vs. Waxing the windshield

savatage
10-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Does anyone have any experience with waxing their windshield? It is something i have always wanted to do, thinking it should have the same effect as Rain X, letting the water bead up and roll off.

Is there any danger in getting a build up of haze?

Might it protect the shield from all the little dings we all know and love?

Silver LTZ
10-07-2010, 09:05 AM
I wax my glass whenever I do the car. Have been for years. It doesn't have anywhere near the same effect as Rain-X. I just do all my glass. I am not a fan of Rain-X. The one time I used it (years ago) I was like this stuff kinda works. Until it rained harder and I had to use my wipers and they chattered like nothing I have seen before.

DrivenDaily
10-07-2010, 04:39 PM
My first experience with Rain-X was 1986. Bugs come off easily, rain flies away. Been using it since. All ya gotta do is put it on about every month or two or three, depending on wiper usage. The only real drawback I've encountered is when driving in light rain under street lights. Other than that it has always been better with it applied than without.

Silver LTZ
10-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Hum, maybe I gotta try this again....it has been like 10 years LOL.

DrivenDaily
10-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Easy instructions:
Get a roll of paper towels (for convenience)
Large cup or water bottle of clear water

Clean window normally but thoroughly and let dry fully

Fold one towel in half, then half again
Squirt some Rain-X on 1/2 of windshield
Spread with folded towel, being sure to cover to edges
Do other half

Let it haze a little and repeat application

IMPORTANT! Let it haze over

Get several sections of paper towel and fold into 1/4 sheet (like application, but way thicker)

Squirt water on 1/2 of windshield starting at top
Drench it!
Dry with folded towel, then flip over to dry side and wipe same area
It'll get real slippery at this point

You may need to get some more towels - just make sure they're dry, not damp
Do other 1/2 same way

Finally, let any left over stuff haze over again, then repeat rinse steps (if needed)

Operate car in a driving rain (hmmm, I wonder why they call it that?)

:D

Northern Bu
10-07-2010, 08:34 PM
I've been using the RainX windshield washer fluid for the past 10 years and it beads the water and it just runs off. I find that I don't even need to turn the wipers on unless I'm driving behind some slow poke and the water is not flowing off quickly enough. I also use the winter blend. There is no particular reason for this. At this time of year, it usually goes on sale and I just stock up on it.

Speed_Freak5150
10-10-2010, 01:57 AM
Rain-X is great. I used it on my '61 truck since I could not use my wipers. The mount for the drivers side was arm was busted and would allow the arm to flip over and scratch the window. Applied Rain-X and did not have to worry about using the wipers again.

Arjay67
10-10-2010, 05:44 AM
I tried RainX several years ago and while it worked well initially it didn't seem to last very long. Then I went to a quicklube place when I moved to Virginia and they talked me into trying a product that they had called AquaPel. It worked better that RainX and lasted 5-6 months! I rarely had to use my wipers! At speeds of 35mph or greater the water would just roll off so quickly and completely that the wipers were then unnecessary.

The big problem is that AquaPel was never available on the retail channels. It was made by PPG and attempts to obtain any directly from them have been unsuccessful. Has anyone else had experience with this product? Do you know where I can get some?

wxman13
10-10-2010, 06:57 AM
Looks like it is available at amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Aquapel-88625-47100-Glass-Treatment/dp/B000CDAEVK

DrivenDaily
10-10-2010, 04:47 PM
I bought a 12-pack but can't remember from where. If you cant' find it I'll take a look and see if I can find out.

I agree: Rain-X wears off faster. I tried AquaPel but must not have applied it correctly. Still have most of the 12 left. Will try again.

chevyguy8893
10-10-2010, 06:23 PM
I use rain-x all the time. It seems to last longer if the windows are clay barred first. I also spray wax all the windows when I do the car in between waxing so maybe that helps too, but not sure.

I have heard good things about aquapel and have been wanting to try it. A lot of the glass places sell it around here and say it lasts longer than rain-x.

At DrivenDaily- I like the new car, at least from the sig pic. I noticed you say you don't know where it was built. I can look it up for you, if you want, off the last 8 of the VIN through GM:).

DrivenDaily
10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
I use rain-x all the time. It seems to last longer if the windows are clay barred first. I also spray wax all the windows when I do the car in between waxing so maybe that helps too, but not sure.

I have heard good things about aquapel and have been wanting to try it. A lot of the glass places sell it around here and say it lasts longer than rain-x.

At DrivenDaily- I like the new car, at least from the sig pic. I noticed you say you don't know where it was built. I can look it up for you, if you want, off the last 8 of the VIN through GM:).

Sure! Here's the whole VIN:

1G1ZE5E70BF168290

Tell me what ya find, or tell me how to go find it. Thanks!!!

Silver LTZ
10-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Sure! Here's the whole VIN:

1G1ZE5E70BF168290

Tell me what ya find, or tell me how to go find it. Thanks!!!
It doesn't say on the door anymore?

DrivenDaily
10-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Nope. I looked all over the car, all 4 doors, under the hood, in the trunk, and on the windows. Nuttin'!!!

Starship
10-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Decode the VIN yourself by http://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/pdf/vincard%202011%20car.pdf. It says Fairfax II, KS.

DrivenDaily
10-10-2010, 07:42 PM
chevyguy8893
Thanks for the 2 PMs you just sent me with different kinds of breakdowns!

SS
His said FAI - FAIRFAX. So this one was made in Dorothy's back yard, too, eh? So maybe instead of calling the interior color cashmere they should call it hay? And the cocoa would be cow patty? ;) (Sorry folks, but I'll be here ALL week!)

I guess the paint should be called Rare or Medium Rare, too, huh?

:)

chevyguy8893
10-10-2010, 08:00 PM
chevyguy8893
Thanks for the 2 PMs you just sent me with different kinds of breakdowns!

SS
His said FAI - FAIRFAX. So this one was made in Dorothy's back yard, too, eh? So maybe instead of calling the interior color cashmere they should call it hay? And the cocoa would be cow patty? ;) (Sorry folks, but I'll be here ALL week!)

I guess the paint should be called Rare or Medium Rare, too, huh?

:)
No problem. Lol, don't feel bad, my car was built in fairfax too. I don't even know what it would be called there. Now all I can picture is some guy wearing camo overalls with a piece of hay in their mouth putting my car together:D.

duramax
10-10-2010, 09:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyYlbNx_l1M&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBCTWJkdW7k&feature=related

I use this stuff. Its not cheap but it is fantastic. It will last a long time and 1 bottle will do many cars many times.

chevyguy8893
10-10-2010, 09:05 PM
I forgot Adam's came out with that. Adam's makes great products too. I was wanting to try that too, but when it came out there wasn't much for reviews on it. Good to hear it works well, I might have to try some in the future. Is it fairly easy to work with?

duramax
10-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Real easy. It is real good. I drive for a living and have tried everything. Like all the rest of Adams stuff it can not be beat. Just don't use Windex on it or it will come off. I just redid the BU today because some kids thought they were helping people by cleaning windows in a lot where she works. It was still good but not as good as it could be. My truck is still good 8 months later. And it rains a lot here. My Sky is still good too. Wait I don't drive that in the rain. Nevermind.

chevyguy8893
10-10-2010, 09:37 PM
Real easy. It is real good. I drive for a living and have tried everything. Like all the rest of Adams stuff it can not be beat. Just don't use Windex on it or it will come off. I just redid the BU today because some kids thought they were helping people by cleaning windows in a lot where she works. It was still good but not as good as it could be. My truck is still good 8 months later. And it rains a lot here. My Sky is still good too. Wait I don't drive that in the rain. Nevermind.
Looks like I will have to add it to the list of Adam's stuff that I want. Next year hopefully I will be getting enough stuff to do some detailing on the side, and Adam's comes out on top for their kits. I use ammonia free sprayway glass cleaner and love it. I haven't had any issues with it taking off the rain-x.

duramax
10-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I have spent way too much money at Adams. I started buying it for my new Saturn Sky. Its a nice day only car so I want it perfect. We have an 03 BU and an 03 Chevy truck. The Adams stuff and PC polisher made both of them look new. The truck had water spots I had been unable to get off the paint and glass. Adams stuff took it right off. Shined the dark blue up and took all the swirl marks out. The BU is dark gray metallic so it did not look bad. When I was finished with it I could not believe how much better it looked as well. I am hooked now.:D

chevyguy8893
10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
That is the story behind almost everyone who uses Adam's,. I have only use the leather cleaner and conditioner and that was, by far, the best I have used. I have been on their forums since it started and have gathered a lot of knowledge of what I need. Eventually I want to be at a point of using a majority of one brand so everything works together. I am going to be getting my 70' Maverick painted soon and I need a top quality product for it next year and Adam's is what I am going with. It is amazing how much paint correction can be done without resulting to a buffer with the right combination of products.

Arjay67
10-11-2010, 05:10 AM
Wow! Thanks! I did a search a few years back and couldn't find it anywhere. I'm so happy to see that it's available now. Still haven't seen it at any of the local retailers so I'll be placing my order on Amazon today.

ChicagoMalibu2009
11-02-2010, 12:56 PM
I've posted about aquapel a bit, and the stuff works very well but IS very tricky to apply. The applicators seem to run out quickly but here are a few tips to make the process work well and also SEEM that you're doing it well.

#1. Work fast. this trumps everything else as the stuff evaporates FASTER than however fast you may work. So at least try :-D The clock has 180 seconds.

#2. Dont crack the applicator open ALL the way back. Crack each end rather than a HUGE smoosh right in the middle. Reread this tip once you have it in your hand and it should make sense. If you smoosh it all the liquid will come out, actually drip off because the applicator is so saturated. You want it to last the whole 3 minutes.

#3. Windshield, then Rear window, then passenger front, rear, driver rear, then driver front. This is so that you hit the surfaces in order of importance with a tradeoff for efficiency with regards to walking around the whole car.

#4. Even if it seems that you ran out, if you havent done all your windows, keep going just like it does. There is still some left and its better than nothing.

#5. You must clean your windows properly first. This part you should take your time with. A proper alcohol free window cleaner and preferrably either clay your windows OR strip them. Griot's Garage makes a window clay and Permatex makes an auto glass stripper that I have used.

#6 This stuff works well, it is worth the trouble.

DrivenDaily
11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
I was gonna start a thread and ask you to post how to apply it. I did it before but didn't succeed so I just put it in a corner and keep using RainX.

I'm gonna use my AquaPel next treatment.

Thanks!

DrivenDaily
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
I've posted about aquapel a bit, and the stuff works very well but IS very tricky to apply. The applicators seem to run out quickly but here are a few tips to make the process work well and also SEEM that you're doing it well.

#1. Work fast. this trumps everything else as the stuff evaporates FASTER than however fast you may work. So at least try :-D The clock has 180 seconds.

#2. Dont crack the applicator open ALL the way back. Crack each end rather than a HUGE smoosh right in the middle. Reread this tip once you have it in your hand and it should make sense. If you smoosh it all the liquid will come out, actually drip off because the applicator is so saturated. You want it to last the whole 3 minutes.

#3. Windshield, then Rear window, then passenger front, rear, driver rear, then driver front. This is so that you hit the surfaces in order of importance with a tradeoff for efficiency with regards to walking around the whole car.

#4. Even if it seems that you ran out, if you havent done all your windows, keep going just like it does. There is still some left and its better than nothing.

#5. You must clean your windows properly first. This part you should take your time with. A proper alcohol free window cleaner and preferrably either clay your windows OR strip them. Griot's Garage makes a window clay and Permatex makes an auto glass stripper that I have used.

#6 This stuff works well, it is worth the trouble.

Well, I did it. I followed your directions and it went on like you said. Thanks! Now all I gotta do is wait for the next rainy day. Ought to be sometime this week. Since I just washed my car it'll probably be tomorrow. ;)

09LTZ
11-20-2010, 05:28 PM
wax kind of smears on the glass when wet. i like to use a clay bar on the windshield, works for me!