Windshield washer (fluid) [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Windshield washer (fluid)

kevinmaq
12-26-2010, 10:10 AM
One thing that is kinda annoying....idk if there is a fix for this or not....didnt find anything in a search...when you go to wash the windshield with the washer fluid the wipers wipe 4-5 times not just once...this has caused premature wear on my $20 :eek: each wiper blades...probably nothing I can do to change how many times it wipes...once....twice mabey but 4 times is too much...any ideas or thoughts???

Silver LTZ
12-26-2010, 10:24 AM
I've never owned a car that only wiped once after using the washer. IMO, 4-5 times isn't enough....

kevinmaq
12-26-2010, 10:31 AM
aggreed if the fluid was being sprayed at the same time....it goes 4-5 times after the spray stops buy the last wipe its so dry its chattering the whole time

Sandhopper
12-26-2010, 11:26 AM
I don't seem to have a problem with chattering from my wipers. I don't think, even with chattering, that this would cause noticeable or accelerated wear to your wipers. Typical wiper life is 6-12 months. I am fortunate that mine have lasted 18 months with no degradation noted. It is also really dependent on the solution your are using, if you use the bug removing washer fluids, this stuff will attack the rubber on your wipers and will substantially reduce the wiper life. I stick with the good old blue methanol based washer fluid in the summer and the prestone antifreeze washer fluid in the winter. Good Luck.

Malo83
12-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I treat my windshield with a spray detailer which really gives a smooth slick surface, never had any chattering with the Latitude wipers or the OEM's :D

kevinmaq
12-26-2010, 12:44 PM
sry but i just dont like how it wipes that much hoped that there was a way to change it but that probably is not possible

EDIT: I have the Latitude wipers.....mabey i should try a treatment to the windshield

Railfan
12-26-2010, 12:49 PM
sry but i just dont like how it wipes that much hoped that there was a way to change it but that probably is not possible

I agree. Five times is too much for me after the fluid has been sprayed. On my other GM vehicles, the blades wipe three times after the spray; I like that much better. Those extra two or three wipes only seem to accomplish spreading/smearing around any material not yet washed away by the fluid.

kevinmaq
12-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Those extra two or three wipes only seem to accomplish spreading/smearing around any material not yet washed away by the fluid.

EXACTLLY what i was getting annoyed by here in iowa with all the road grit and sand and salt and all the other crap that goes with winter driving

DrivenDaily
12-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I have a couple of ideas that could solve the issue, but it'll take some wiring.

Simple fix:
Find the orange wire for the washer leaving the wws (windshield wiper switch), cut it, then splice it into the orange wire leaving the BCM to the washer. Without a signal to the BCM that you're washing, there won't be a signal to wipe.

More elaborate fix:
Do the first fix above. Then, use the orange washer wire that you just hooked up (it provides a 12V signal) to operate the coil of an SPST relay. The 2 contacts on the relay are: 1. the gray wire (terminal E, not C) from the wws to the BCM for wiper action, and 2. a voltage matching the output of the wws gray wire when you select Mist, Low, or High, but not Intermittent. You would need to measure that voltage and duplicate it with a resistor. This solution gives you wiping the entire time you wash and it parks the wipers when done, without wiping until the rubber melts.

If you're up for it, there are two solutions for you.

NOTE: Terminal E is the signal to the BCM for wiper action. Terminal C is the 12V output to energize both the high-speed wiper relay and the On-Off relay. Caution: Both wires are gray! (Who the #@$! designed that?)

BillD64
12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
I always end up hitting the single wipe control to get a few more wipes. As far as I am concerned it doesn't do enough to get the fluid off the windshield.

Bill

kevinmaq
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
ummm yeah Daily how do you know all this stuff .....you are full of good info....however this seems a little over my head...will see if i know somebody that can take a look at it for me ...thanks for the info

Unfettered
12-27-2010, 12:18 PM
My experience with wiper blades is that the $20 ones are no better than the $4 ones. I bought a set of $20 each wiper blades that had a rebate as the ones on the car were no longer working. I stopped a mile down the road at Wal mart and got the cheap ones and took the expensive ones back. They weren't worth keeping even after a rebate making them free. I replace them about once a year anyway.

And yes, the extra wipes bug me as well.