2011 in shop for main seal in transmission [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2011 in shop for main seal in transmission

bear2010
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Well I just bought a 2011 1LT 2.4 6. Today when I pulled it out of garage there was a pretty good size puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. Took it up to the dealership and they said the main seal is bad. It has 500 miles on it. Has anybody else had this happen? Should I be worried? Thanks

chevyguy8893
02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
I wouldn't be too worried since it is being fixed. It may have been a installation error at some point since it started leaking so fast. At least you were able to catch it before any major damage was done. I would just keep an eye on it after the fix in case it was something else that caused the leak.

2Malibu4us
02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
YES. This happened to me today! Same make/model. I took it in and they told me it is most likely an issue with the main seal. I bought the car in mid-January and I have put under 3000 miles on it. Can't believe it. What is the deal with this problem?? Does it make sense to fix and keep this car?

08chevymalibultz
02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
The problems have been around with even the older generation Malibu’s. My Son has had this problem on his just recently with his 06 Malibu LT along with plugs going! Not saying this is common problem but it is not first or is on just the newer Generations! Hopefully they can fix it quickly and get you back on the road soon!

Good luck!

bear2010
02-24-2011, 07:15 AM
Well the dealership has had my car longer than I've owned it. I had the car for 6 days and they've had it for 7. They replaced the main seal took it for a drive and it was still leaking. They called GM and they said there were some bad housings that made it through that had some coarse metal not allowing a good seal. So they pulled the transmission back out to give GM the numbers and GM said that the numbers didnt match up to one of the bad ones that made it through production. So now GM told the dealership to split the case and see what was going on. Well they found a missing o-ring does this sound right?? PLEASE HELP

08chevymalibultz
02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Well the dealership has had my car longer than I've owned it. I had the car for 6 days and they've had it for 7. They replaced the main seal took it for a drive and it was still leaking. They called GM and they said there were some bad housings that made it through that had some coarse metal not allowing a good seal. So they pulled the transmission back out to give GM the numbers and GM said that the numbers didnt match up to one of the bad ones that made it through production. So now GM told the dealership to split the case and see what was going on. Well they found a missing o-ring does this sound right?? PLEASE HELP

Sorry to hear that! It is very depressing and concerns me when I hear so many issues with these cars especially coming right off the Dealership lots! I have also had issues with my Transmission leaking but it was not the Rear Main Seal! It was related to the Converter Housing Seal! The Point that am getting to is after inspecting it my Tech had noticed the entire Housing was so pitted, they had to order an entire new housing because no matter what seal they could have used was not going to correct it! My car only had around 14,000 miles on it at the time but had started to notice spots on the drive at a lot earlier miles. My kids had owned some older cars and thought it was theirs and could not possibly be mine since it was New/Newer! I really wish you luck and hope for the best for you! Many don’t understand the frustration until a problem strikes them!

Again, Good Luck!

PS. There are a couple of guys here on the site that can give you some Technical Help/answer some questions you may have! They have been great members here on the site!

2Malibu4us
02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
So, the dealership is sticking to the, "that's what the warranty is for" line. This is turning into a total disaster. The car has been in the shop 3 days now. No complete diagnosis, just that they think it might be the main seal. I don't want this car - and the dealership is acting like I am crazy?!?! Not even 3000 miles, I just made my first payment while my new car is currently disassembled in the shop. Is it nuts to think they should get me a new car to replace this one? I would think they would rather a satisfied, repeat customer, rather than forcing me to pursue Lemon law which will make nobody happy. This is my second Malibu from this dealership - what chance do I have for a replacement? Do you have any recommendations for other avenues to pursue?

bear2010
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM
That is the same bullsh!t my dealership is telling me. I am also telling them i want a brand new one. It only has 500 miles on it.

2Malibu4us
02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
That is the same bullsh!t my dealership is telling me. I am also telling them i want a brand new one. It only has 500 miles on it.

If you don't mind my asking, what state are you in?
I am in MA and I am trying to hold my ground as they are beginning to be more and more dismissive. The dealership is acting like I had a flat tire, yet they have not given a full diagnosis. Its beginning to take an ugly turn. please keep me posted as your situation unfolds.

bear2010
02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
I live in IN. I just received a call from the dealership and now its a pump. So its went from a main seal to a new transmission to a o-ring and now a bad pump. I am so pissed its sickning. I to am pursing a new car. They are also treating it like no big deal like a flat tire or something. I understand that they are giving me a loaner and trying to fix the problem but its also a brand new car I shouldnt have to worry about it.

2Malibu4us
02-25-2011, 12:21 PM
I live in IN. I just received a call from the dealership and now its a pump. So its went from a main seal to a new transmission to a o-ring and now a bad pump. I am so pissed its sickning. I to am pursing a new car. They are also treating it like no big deal like a flat tire or something. I understand that they are giving me a loaner and trying to fix the problem but its also a brand new car I shouldnt have to worry about it.

Any updates?
I got the call from the mechanic today, after being told it is likely a main seal issue, they are saying it's likely the Control Module. When asked, the mechanic said, "it controls everything..." in reference to the transmission.
I asked if they know why this happened and they have, "no idea." So they are replacing the part with a new one - from the exact same manufacturer. So again, they are replacing the faulty brand new part, with another exact same brand new part. Not to mention my entire car has been disassembled after less than 3000 miles.

I have not heard anything about pumps, have you heard any reference to the Control Module?

bear2010
02-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Nope I have heard nothing in reference to a control module. Did you ask how that would cause it to leak tranny fluid. As far as the pump, they called today and finally explained that there is a metal o-ring that is bent (which I can only assume they bent it how else would it get bent) which is part of the pump and they cant just replace the o-ring its all one piece. As of now they are in contact with GM to get a new pump and they cant even do that. They are going to try again on monday. 13 days in shop.

tygriff
02-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Bear,

I would be interested to hear what they find in the pump. My company builds the trans pump for the 6T trans in the Malibu. The only ring seal (actually not even a seal) I am aware of does not bend out of the blue. Actually, I don't even think it can bend, it just fractures. However, the result of this a reduction in pump pressure causing poor shifts.
The pump is also designed with an overload spring and ball bearing. If by any chance the pump pressure becomes too high that could explode the pump, the spring pressure is overcome and the fluid bleeds out. This could be the issue.
I am really interested in this outcome if the pump is found to be faulty.

mrblanche
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
So again, they are replacing the faulty brand new part, with another exact same brand new part. Not to mention my entire car has been disassembled after less than 3000 miles.

Really? Doors off, seats out, trunk lid removed, rear suspension removed, hood off...???

As to replacing the part with an identical part...did you want, what, a Toyota part? Honda, maybe? Any defective part will be replaced by an identical part, hopefully without the defect.

Most people don't know this, but, at any car plant, a certain percentage of the cars never make it out the door before they need major repairs. I had a friend who worked at the Arlington GM Assembly Plant in the lemon room. If a car had a major problem, it was their job to repair it. If an engine ran poorly, they might replace what they thought was the defective part, or even the whole engine. This has forever been the practice; some "classic" Chevys were never number-matching, because they had an engine replaced before the car ever left the plant.

So, it's entirely possible for you to buy a new car at the dealership that has already had the transmission or engine replaced. And, believe me on this, the same is true for every manufacturer, because no mechanical assembly system is perfect. And, of course, not all the defects get caught in the startup on the line and the drive out to the parking/loading lot. That's why you get a free warranty on your new car.

And that's why Consumer Reports always shows 10-30 defects on every car they test extensively.

08chevymalibultz
02-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Really? Doors off, seats out, trunk lid removed, rear suspension removed, hood off...???

As to replacing the part with an identical part...did you want, what, a Toyota part? Honda, maybe? Any defective part will be replaced by an identical part, hopefully without the defect.

Most people don't know this, but, at any car plant, a certain percentage of the cars never make it out the door before they need major repairs. I had a friend who worked at the Arlington GM Assembly Plant in the lemon room. If a car had a major problem, it was their job to repair it. If an engine ran poorly, they might replace what they thought was the defective part, or even the whole engine. This has forever been the practice; some "classic" Chevys were never number-matching, because they had an engine replaced before the car ever left the plant.

So, it's entirely possible for you to buy a new car at the dealership that has already had the transmission or engine replaced. And, believe me on this, the same is true for every manufacturer, because no mechanical assembly system is perfect. And, of course, not all the defects get caught in the startup on the line and the drive out to the parking/loading lot. That's why you get a free warranty on your new car.

And that's why Consumer Reports always shows 10-30 defects on every car they test extensively.

Seems like too many had slipped through the line and was parked in the loading lot without the proper testing! I have always been a GM person at heart but I just wonder how much of GM’s Financial Problems have affected the quality/dependability of today’s GM Vehicles? :(

mrblanche
02-27-2011, 05:37 AM
Seems like too many had slipped through the line and was parked in the loading lot without the proper testing! I have always been a GM person at heart but I just wonder how much of GM’s Financial Problems have affected the quality/dependability of today’s GM Vehicles? :(

Far fewer today than 50 years ago, when my '63 Impala was built. But there are a lot more electronic controls today that can go bad. There are probably far fewer mechanical defects that go out the door.

And, just as there is nothing stupider than a smart bomb whose controls have failed, just so, there is nothing worse than a mechanical item that depends on electronic controls when those electronic controls fail.

And there are so many possible failure modes, everything from a dirty or slightly loose connector to a totally fried board. Any mechanic will tell you it's easier to find the catatstrophic failure than the minor glitch.

2Malibu4us
02-27-2011, 11:28 AM

I am simply their customer. Suddenly I experience a major problem and your suggesting I should accept that a "certain percentage" of their cars are defective? What the heck does a "certain percentage" even mean? And why should I care? Again, I am their customer. I bought a product they are apparently unwilling to stand behind because all I hear from GM and the dealership is "these things happen."
I would never argue that point. I am only suggesting it should not happen under 3000 miles. And if, as my dealer claims, it only happens 1 every 10 years, they should embrace us, the customer and handle the arguing and nonsense for their GM supplier. Why should I be in the middle of all this? GM and the dealers know of this problem. Its not a radio glitch.

2Malibu4us
02-28-2011, 01:30 PM
OK. Realizing that a modern automated assembly plant can produce 6000 cars a week. There are going to be a few cars assembled with transmission problems. I dont care what make of car it is, it is going to happen. You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones.
So I realize you do not want this car, you want them to keep it, and replace it with another one on there lot, or do a dealer trade. The person that can do this for you is the owner of the dealership. Not the people that work for him or her. So you need to sit down in the office of the owner, or the person that is in charge and represents the owner. This is the person you need to have a heart to heart talk with, and make it happen. It can be done. I did it years ago with a pickup truck that I had good reason to be upset about. I wont go into the details about that.
You need to be firm, strongminded, loud if need be, and talk the right talk, but dont get stupid. And make it happen. Good Luck

Thanks, MILO....we are in the midst of fighting the good fight.

Bear?? Any update? Hasn't it been more than 15 days?

bear2010
02-28-2011, 04:54 PM
I have no updates. Its come down to the dealership making a car payment for me thats all they are going to do. I have givin up on my fight I am working 80 hours a week and have no extra strength to put towards them. It is what it is hopefully they fix it right the first time and that will be the end of it. I will keep up with my updates and everything that happens. And yes its been 15 days today.

61woody
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
I gues I got off lucky, I lost my main also but it was on the engine. 3 days in the shop and 9000 miles latrer it's still holding. Pretty bad when a seal goes out on a new vehicle, it makes you loose confidence real fast.

bear2010
03-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Here is an update for anybody that has been following. Got the car back today after being in the shop for exactly 20 days. It was the pump that had a bad o-ring they replaced the pump, main seal and a bushing where the transmission meets up with torque converter and all is good. Driving like a dream now. Hopefully this worked and all is better and no more problems. As far as the dealership goes I was able to get them to make a car payment and then when I picked the car up this afternoon they said they would make 2 car payments. I am happy with that as I would think anybody else would be to. Thanks to all that commented and all the suggestions. It was greatly appreciated!!

Jake

DrivenDaily
03-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Dang, where's that dealer?

Now to find a monkey wrench for the tranny seal. (Two payments, huh?)

Congrats on the repair and on having them take such good care of you, not only the repair but the great customer service with making 2 payments! That's awesome and I wish you the best. Also, once you feel confident about the repair (that it's holding), or just whenever you want, why not post the shop's name and address. There are people who peruse this forum and if that dealer is that reputable it won't hurt to say something good about them. I'm sure they won't complain!

08chevymalibultz
03-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Wow, I absolutely agree with DrivenDaily! I was thinking the same thing, what dealership is this? That is great to hear this since most of us have not had such good dealings with ours! Now if all GM Dealerships was like yours, they would gain a lot more respect and customers since they would have trust in them and the product that they are selling!

That is one of the best outcomes I have heard on this site!

bear2010
03-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I am pretty sure that the repair is holding and very happy to have my car. Since I have gotten it back tinted the windows 20% took the malibu lt off the back and matched the bow ties. The dealership I am working with is Team Chevy they are located in Valparaiso IN. I just took a car note into them and they are going through GM, GM will send them the money and then they will cut me a check. So thats where we are at.

mexelby
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
I don't like reading these horror stories. Have to take mine in for a leak now too. Like a quart or more after driving leak.. Just over 3000 miles..

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-17-2011, 11:14 AM
Mexelby and all others on this thread,

I have made the necessary documentation about all of you having this leak on the main seal of your transmissions. I am sure that most of you have read on other threads of this forum, I will get this to the proper department to be researched.

I understand the frustration that you all are experiencing with your vehicles. I will provide you with any updates that are provided to me about this. Thank you for you patience as we await to see what the findings are about this situation.

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

GM_6T40 Trans_Engineer
03-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Here is an update for anybody that has been following. Got the car back today after being in the shop for exactly 20 days. It was the pump that had a bad o-ring they replaced the pump, main seal and a bushing where the transmission meets up with torque converter and all is good. Driving like a dream now. Hopefully this worked and all is better and no more problems. As far as the dealership goes I was able to get them to make a car payment and then when I picked the car up this afternoon they said they would make 2 car payments. I am happy with that as I would think anybody else would be to. Thanks to all that commented and all the suggestions. It was greatly appreciated!!

Jake

Jake,

Glad to hear things were remedied.

FYI regarding the pump. The pump has 3 seals. One sealing the pump to the torque convertor. A second sealing the pump to the case. If those leak, they will produce a visable leak on the exterior underside of the transmission. The third seal is internal and seals the pump to the turbine (input) shaft. If that one leaks, it will be an internal leak causing loss of apply for the torque convertor clutch (TCC). The pump assembly comes complete with all 3 seals installed.