Check engine,and reduced power to engine warning. [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Check engine,and reduced power to engine warning.

1lowmalibu
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
This is the second time my check engine light,reduced power to engine,and service traction control warning lights have come on! First time dealer replaced the gas pedal and they said it was good to go!? That was just a few weeks ago and now its doing again....Funny thing is that it seams to do this after I've washed the car or its raining out! Bringing it back to the dealer today to have it checked out,hopeing this time they don't blame it on my 20in rims or the drop springs just to avoid having the warranty pay for the problem.Any ideas on what it is?

By the way its a 2010 with the 2.4 with only 25,000 on it.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-26-2011, 12:29 PM
1lowmalibu,

I completely understand the emotions that you are going through. I would like to see about researching your situation. Would you mind providing me with some additional details about all of this? If you would be so kind as to agree to do this, please, look in your private messages for the details that I will need. You can send me a direct message with this information.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

HarrisonBP
06-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I had this problem on an 04 MAXX. I searched hundreds of posts, asked questions on multiple forums, no one had any good information.

Bumps in the road would sometimes cause it for me too. This got me thinking. One day when it was very damp out I decided to start the car to see if I could replicate this. With the car running I started wiggling wires and connectors, tapping sensors, and banging on the fuse box...

For me the cause of over a year's worth of unreliability, worry, frustration, and constantly having to carry my scan tool was caused by a only very slightly corroded TAC fuse. A $4 quick fix - new fuse and anti-corrosion gel. Now a few months later it is doing it again.

I hope this helps in your search for the answer, or at least a quick fix. If by chance Michelle P. could help me to figure out how to finally fix this ongoing problem I would be so grateful.

Any Ideas? How do I take out a fuse box? Clean terminals or replace? What parts, tools, and/or supplies do I need?

Schmally
06-16-2011, 04:47 PM
This is the second time my check engine light,reduced power to engine,and service traction control warning lights have come on! First time dealer replaced the gas pedal and they said it was good to go!? That was just a few weeks ago and now its doing again....Funny thing is that it seams to do this after I've washed the car or its raining out! Bringing it back to the dealer today to have it checked out,hopeing this time they don't blame it on my 20in rims or the drop springs just to avoid having the warranty pay for the problem.Any ideas on what it is?

By the way its a 2010 with the 2.4 with only 25,000 on it.In your case man it may be the wheels and the springs. I worked with an 07 tahoe that kept doing the same thing and replaced almost everything. I have the guy switch back to factory wheels and boom. It went away!

MalibuKen
06-16-2011, 05:52 PM
In your case man it may be the wheels and the springs.

There was another thread here about 20" wheels....and I almost commented there....but didn't so I will add my 2 cents here.

Not only will that big a change in wheel size cause the speedo and odo to be WAY off (and that alone might void your warranty because the wrong mileage is being tallied up) but it might also drive the computer that controls the ABS and traction control nuts. I bet it doesn't improve the ride any either.

I think what you did with the wheels is going to end up being a costly mistake. If you leave them on, your ABS, tractions control and stability control may not work right. If you ever get into a situation where you need those features, they might make matters worse instead of better.

Is that new "look" worth risking your life for ?? :eek:

MalibuKen
06-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Any Ideas? How do I take out a fuse box? Clean terminals or replace? What parts, tools, and/or supplies do I need?

Get some 90% alcohol and a can of compressed air.......and safety glasses.

Pull the offending fuse out. Drop a couple of drops of alcohol into each side of the fuse socket, then plug the fuse in and out a few times. With the fuse out, then blow out the excess alcohol.

Might want to repeat that process again.

Do NOT put anything on the contacts after that. If the spring tension is a little loose, the "anti-corosion" grease might do more harm than good.

CoolandClever1
06-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I actually had this exact same issue a year ago with my car actually running at reduced power and idling like it was going to cut off. The problem ended up being the throttle body needing replacement which is covered undered the powertrain warranty. Hope this helps you out if nothing else does.

Kellah
06-28-2011, 08:11 AM
i have had a few issues with my 2008 Malibu Lt

when i was driving i found that my car had really low power and my exaust pipe was like black and coated with soot ... so i took it in and after a few missed diagnosed problems it ended up being that my exaust manifold was cracked .. i also find that i am having to replace my air filter almost every oil change or 2nd one at least ... does anyone else have this problem ?
now i find if im turning my wheel at low speeds or even if the car is not moving there is a banging comming from the steering colum ...
i want to take it into the dealer but i find everytime i do its drama to get them to cover it under warranty ...

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Dear Kellah,

I have read your post about your situation with your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Have you contacted another Chevrolet dealership about the issues that you are experiencing? There is nothing wrong with contacting other dealerships to see if you will have a more positive experience. If you would like assistance with finding another Chevrolet service department, I would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Kellah
06-29-2011, 07:19 AM
Dear Kellah,

I have read your post about your situation with your 2008 Chevrolet Malibu. Have you contacted another Chevrolet dealership about the issues that you are experiencing? There is nothing wrong with contacting other dealerships to see if you will have a more positive experience. If you would like assistance with finding another Chevrolet service department, I would be happy to assist you.

Sincerely,

hey michelle

I contacted a dealership in calgary alberta in the north east on 36th st this time as the one i was having problems with was in olds alberta ..
i have made a appt for the 8th of july to get it in and looked at so i will get back to u on what kind of service i recieve ...
i think the lack of service stems from the fact that i am 24 years old and the people that are working there dont take me seriously ... but for me as a customer i find it very frustrating because i spent $260000 on my car and paid cash for it and expect it to work proper and be able to get maitenence on it without a problem if somthing does come up but that doesnt seem to be the case , i love my chevy but it makes it hard to want to buy more chevrolet product when the service is bad when u need maitenence done. hopefully all goes well this time and i can change my opinion on the service chev gives .. will let u know how it goes .. thanks kelley

greenman
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
i have had a few issues with my 2008 Malibu Lt

when i was driving i found that my car had really low power and my exaust pipe was like black and coated with soot ... so i took it in and after a few missed diagnosed problems it ended up being that my exaust manifold was cracked .. i also find that i am having to replace my air filter almost every oil change or 2nd one at least ... does anyone else have this problem ?
now i find if im turning my wheel at low speeds or even if the car is not moving there is a banging comming from the steering colum ...
i want to take it into the dealer but i find everytime i do its drama to get them to cover it under warranty ...

You'll get much better results if you started a new thread with your issue/s rather than piggybacking (hijacking) on someone elses. It's harder to follow hijacked threads & many folks won't try.

malibu_2010
06-29-2011, 06:09 PM

By the way its a 2010 with the 2.4 with only 25,000 on it.

This could be an emission issue too. You can take your car to exhaust shop and ask them to test catalytic converter. O2 sensors may be malfunctioning or the CAT is blocked. But for sure, I think tires might be a little big for LS model. Good luck.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-30-2011, 08:52 AM
Dear Kellah,

Thank you for the additional information about your experience with your old dealership. I apologize for the experiences that you have had with the old dealership that you visited. This is not the way General Motors wants their dealerships to treat our customers.

I do hope that you have a more enjoyable visit with the new dealership that you are going to on the 8th of July.

If you continue to experience unsatisfactory customer service please, contact General Motors of Canada. Their toll free telephone number is 1-800-263-3777. Their hours of operation are Monday through Friday 7:30am to 11:30pm EST. They are also open for calls on Saturdays 7:30am to 6pm EST. I apologize that I am not able to assist more. Since you reside in Canada, we offer a specific center for you and other General Motors vehicle owners.

I hope that you have a great weekend and would still like to know how your visit goes.

Sincerely,

caldslav
01-08-2014, 05:57 AM
Hi there, I know these posts were put up a few years back but I found them and noticed you had been replying to alot of people trying to help them so you seemed nice and thought I'd see if I could get a hold of you as well.
Yesterday our 2012 Malibu started saying engine power reduced, the service light and engine light are on as well as the traction control light.
At first I thought it was just on because we had record low temperatures on -30 and my husband had took the car to work and had to park it outside. Usually it's parked in our garage where it's a bit warmer. But after having it in the garage all night we went to start it today and the lights are still on.
Not sure what to do. Not even sure if we're even still in warranty. We're at 65,000 kms. So we may be out of our extended warranty but I don't know if there's another warranty that lasts longer.
Anyway I was hoping you'd be able to help me out.
Thanks

DrivenDaily
01-09-2014, 04:57 AM
Have someone check the BCM plugs. Best and safest method is to disconnect the battery, then unplug and re-plug the BCM plugs 5-10 times. It's very possible that you're suffering from fretting corrosion and taking this action uses friction to clean the corrosion off the terminals so they can make good contact. You or he can do this for free - it's that easy. If that doesn't fix it then you've only lost time, not money.

BCM - body control module: it controls almost everything in the car. Located behind removable panel in passenger front footwell at the center console. There are 3 connectors: 2 are regular latching plugs, 1 is secured by a bolt to the fuse box.