09 With water leak after rain... [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 09 With water leak after rain...

96lt4c4
05-03-2011, 08:21 PM
It has been raining hear on and off for the past 2 weeks. My Malibu has been sitting outside for the last 2 days in the rain. Today I went to get out my daughters car seat and noticed water in the drivers side rear floor board. I noticed what looked like water coming out of the bottom of the door when I openend it. I sucked the water up with a shop Vac and pulled the carpet back. The padding under the carpet was wet as well. So, I took the door panel off and the inside of the panel was wet and so was the inside of the door. It almost seems like the door filled up with water and it couldnt drain out the holes in the bottom of the door. Anyone else seen this...?

mexelby
05-03-2011, 09:38 PM
sounds like the door either wasn't closed very good or a bad seal. I've also seen sunroofs do this although the problem would be located in a different area.

My guess is a bad seal. I'd have someone run the garden hose over the top and middle of the door while your sitting in it to see if you can see it first hand. I think a not so very good seal around the door or window is my guess.

96lt4c4
05-04-2011, 06:33 AM
sounds like the door either wasn't closed very good or a bad seal. I've also seen sunroofs do this although the problem would be located in a different area.

My guess is a bad seal. I'd have someone run the garden hose over the top and middle of the door while your sitting in it to see if you can see it first hand. I think a not so very good seal around the door or window is my guess.

I tryed to run the hose over the side of the car with the door just half latched and the water ran in on the seat. When I originally opened the door the seat was dry so I am pretty sure the door was closed all the way. And I check the window and it was up all the way.

My wife sat in the car while I hosed it down and she said she could not see anything but she could hear some water dripping somewhere. The sunroof drains shoudl not be clogged, the car is usually always in the garage and never sits under trees. This was the longest time it ever sat out in the rain. It has an appointment at the dealer on Monday for this and the rattle in the front end.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I am glad to see that you are planning to address this concern with your local dealership. Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the concern. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

96lt4c4
05-23-2011, 06:11 AM
The car is back at the dealership this morning, for the same issue. I took it to a dealership closer to my house.

http://www.franklinfamilychevrolet.com/

We are working with Nick in the service department. It rained last night and the back driverís side floor filled with water again. This is the second time this has happened. We took it in to Bachman Chevrolet the first time and they supposedly fixed it.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-23-2011, 10:43 AM
96lt4c4,

Thank you for sharing you most current information on your situation. If you wouldn't mind providing me with an update of the outcome from taking it to the new dealership, I would greatly appreciate it.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

DrivenDaily
05-23-2011, 04:21 PM
The car is back at the dealership this morning, for the same issue. I took it to a dealership closer to my house.

http://www.franklinfamilychevrolet.com/

We are working with Nick in the service department. It rained last night and the back driverís side floor filled with water again. This is the second time this has happened. We took it in to Bachman Chevrolet the first time and they supposedly fixed it.

That's kinda scarey! I bought mine at Bachman!

Post up what they find and what it takes to fix it, please. It might apply to others as well.

GadgetGuy1981
09-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Just to add another story - I hope this helps someone!

My 2010 LTZ V6 has had RECURRING leaking from the sunroof region - All of the drain plugs and lines have been cleaned/replaced/reseated/sealed numerous times. The entire water drainage system has been replaced in the 4 visits to the dealer for this. I've even taken it to 3 different dealers in those 4 attempts to see if another dealer could find something new.

I just got it back today from the 4th repair where the entire "drip tray" was replaced under the sunroof. Unfortunately, the headliner is starting to sit loose from all of he removal and re-attachment, so the dealer has to order new clips to re-mount the liner, and I'm hoping that this time, we're all set. Besides the finishing work, this should be the end. I'll continue to post here with updates.

DrivenDaily
09-03-2011, 05:15 AM
There's another thread about leaks where the guy says they discovered that the body seam along the roof was not properly sealed at the factory and it allowed water in. It would make its way along the seam, through a hole, and then come out where it could. Sometimes it was above the mirror, other times the floor.

Leak Link (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=63334&postcount=7)

ADAHix
12-25-2011, 10:48 AM
I am currently having the same issue with my 2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ. I had the recall work done to it and it still leaking. Of course I just PCS'd to Hawaii in the middle of their rain season. I have tried parking the car at different angles and what not and still get water leaking through the A pillars on both side of the car. The weird thing is that it only does it when it is raining. I have gone through car washes and the car does not leak. I was wondering if you ever found out what was leaking and why. My Warranty on the body ran out while I was out of country. So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

MalibuKen
12-25-2011, 12:34 PM
. My Warranty on the body ran out while I was out of country. So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't assume.
A perviously reported problem where the "fix" didn't work often is an exception to the warranty limitations.
Good luck.

m1dadio
01-28-2012, 09:18 PM
I fixed my water leak for free and no disassembly required either!!!

I hope this will help with your sunroof leak though you may have trouble believing it.

Diagnostics is my forte: I am a licensed mechanic with all the shop manuals for my 2009 LTZ.
This year it began having water running from behind the glove box onto the passenger floor. And quite a bit of water, the floor was getting soaked in just a couple days. at least a few ounces a day.

This seamed to be happening when it rained but the rain is not the source of water.

The mechanics at the dealer talked all their BS about the AC evaporator drain or case leak and the sunroof drain tubes. I had also talked to others who went to the dealer to have those things fixed which never stopped the water but they ended up with a myriad of other things not working when they got their car back. It has become clear to me that many dealer mechanics don't know what the fault is.

Well fair enough, some cars may have a sunroof drain issue or an evaporator seal problem and I have to admit that is what it looked like to me before diagnosing the problem.

I started with the water hose on the outside of the car and all the other leak finding tricks. NO external leaks found? I began placing paper tissue here and there under the dash to capture and trace the leak to source. Soon I found the water coming down the front WS post, then I realized the headline wet at the joint by the plastic WS post cover at the top. I traced it to clearly be coming from the sunroof. The first puzzle finding was the sunroof wind net was soaked and the sunroof glass had tons of drops of water on it. There was so much water drops on the glass that it would be dripping onto me and the console and the passenger , several ounces for sure.
No matter what, water cannot get to either of those locations unless it was running uphill.??

I put the problem to another mechanic friend while talking over coffee and he gave me the answer. He works at a dodge dealer, he told me the dodge caravan whatever it was had a major water problem at the sunroof. He said my story was exact, they went through the AC evaporator and the sunroof drains and all. He said it turned out to be "condensation on the inside of the glass roof that got real bad when it rained". The dodge dealer fix was to lower the headliner at the windshield (where it couldn't be seen) and insert blocks to hold it open a quarter inch for airflow to clear the condensation.

Well I did not change anything about my head liner.
It is a fact that when my sun roof shade was closed the roof glass would generate many ounces of condensation and it would build up in the headliner and around the insides of the sunroof
Now it is still the rainy season here on the north west coast and my car stays outside just like it always has. I now leave the sunroof shade open all the time (except when the sun bothers me) and yes!! no more condensation on the glass and no more water running down the WS post , around the glove box, onto the passenger floor. NO MORE! GONE!

I am absolutely serious about this, it clearly looked like a leak because of the amount of water and now bone dry!! Needless to say I am surprised and I am also very happy to have found the problem in my car.

I really hope the "leak" in your car turns out to be the same simple thing. You will need to dry out the inside of your car first because it is a accumulative moisture thing. Then Just leave your sunroof shade pulled open all the time and hopefully your water problem will be gone.

Michel

Zmazing03
08-01-2012, 12:09 PM
Anyone have more experiences with this?

I am having the exact same issues as 96lt. I puddles (small) in the rear next to the seat on the floor and I can SEE where the water is dripping out of the door frame.

It appears the stripping on the roof is not down all the way.

Of course I am outside 3/36, so I doubt this fix would be on GM. Is anyone aware of how GM has handled this since it does appear that I am not the only one.

I DID have my door locks replaced back in Feb I think it was at which point they would have had to remove the door panel.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Anyone have more experiences with this?

I am having the exact same issues as 96lt. I puddles (small) in the rear next to the seat on the floor and I can SEE where the water is dripping out of the door frame.

It appears the stripping on the roof is not down all the way.

Of course I am outside 3/36, so I doubt this fix would be on GM. Is anyone aware of how GM has handled this since it does appear that I am not the only one.

I DID have my door locks replaced back in Feb I think it was at which point they would have had to remove the door panel.
I would like to look into this. You have stated you are out of the Bumper to Bumper warranty; is this by time or mileage? What is the current mileage on your Malibu?

sbguitarman
08-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I am also having this issue. I bought my Malibu new in April of 2009. I started experiencing a water leak coming from the headliner on near the driver's side A pillar in March of this year. As others have stated, it never leaked when I went through a car wash, but leaks within minutes of a decent rain.

I have about 50,000 miles on the car, and 3 years was up in April of this year. If anyone has any real solutions that would be great. I pulled my A pillar trim off while it was leaking and I cannot pinpoint anything. Looking up over the headliner I could only see a tad bit of water in various place in the roof bracing.

My headliner has a water stain now, but I'm mostly concerned with the fact water is running over the wires for the curtain airbag up there. What seemed to start out as an annoyance is now threatening my safety.

DrivenDaily
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Some have reported the seam sealer in the roof where the sides join was the source of the issue.

Zmazing03
08-02-2012, 07:17 PM
I would like to look into this. You have stated you are out of the Bumper to Bumper warranty; is this by time or mileage? What is the current mileage on your Malibu?

Michelle,
I do believe it is by time, though I am very very close on mileage. I think I have something like 32,800 miles and I drive a 2009. If I recall correctly the dealer told my 3/36 was up around March/April.

I was at a Buick/GMC dealer today and inquired about the problem, of which they weren't familiar. Hopefully the Chevrolet dealer doesn't claim the same.

DD,
That was my thought as well. I can tell it is not down all the way as it rises near the back of the car. I know there are small holes under there so if water gets under that roof seal it makes sense that it makes it behind the door panel. I also have not noticed in car wash, but I could smell a strong smell of soap so it may have just been minor those times.

Glad (and not glad, if you will) others are familiar with the same issue.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Michelle,
I do believe it is by time, though I am very very close on mileage. I think I have something like 32,800 miles and I drive a 2009. If I recall correctly the dealer told my 3/36 was up around March/April.

I was at a Buick/GMC dealer today and inquired about the problem, of which they weren't familiar. Hopefully the Chevrolet dealer doesn't claim the same.

DD,
That was my thought as well. I can tell it is not down all the way as it rises near the back of the car. I know there are small holes under there so if water gets under that roof seal it makes sense that it makes it behind the door panel. I also have not noticed in car wash, but I could smell a strong smell of soap so it may have just been minor those times.

Glad (and not glad, if you will) others are familiar with the same issue.

If you would like to send me a private message with the VIN of your vehicle I would be happy to look up your warranty information.

daveyio87
08-04-2012, 01:19 PM
During my experience, I found the sunroof drain lines to become detached or partially detached, allowing water to drip in and it will come out where ever the head liner leads it to. Ive replaced the bad connector and then epoxied it all over it so it wouldn't come loose again. I have seen a sunroof track leaking at the seam. Also i have seen leaks coming from the body seam on the roof, where that strip is that runs the length of the roof, seem sealer did the trick. Also note, while fixing these repairs under warranty if the head liner was damaged from water stains, we ordered new ones for the customers.

nyhow1960
03-05-2013, 01:20 PM
My 09 2LT has a sunroof and noticed my headliner leaking over my drivers door in past 6 mos.
The headliner is now stained
The car had always been garaged so I never notice it till about 41,000 mi.
I cannot use car in any rain.

Dealer wants $150 diagnosis fee just to look at it.

I have no warranty for this issue ,any help on where to start.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-05-2013, 02:27 PM
My 09 2LT has a sunroof and noticed my headliner leaking over my drivers door in past 6 mos.
The headliner is now stained
The car had always been garaged so I never notice it till about 41,000 mi.
I cannot use car in any rain.

Dealer wants $150 diagnosis fee just to look at it.

I have no warranty for this issue ,any help on where to start.

Hi nyhow1960,
You could always get a 2nd opinion on your issue from a different GM dealer--their diagnostic fee would still apply but may differ from your 1st estimate. Unfortunately as you are out of warranty, you are responsible for any diagnosis/repair charge.

If you'd like me to look at your VIN to see what warranty info you have left on your vehicle, please PM me & I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you,
Sara
Chevrolet Customer Service

m1dadio
03-05-2013, 09:28 PM
My roof no longer leaks. I had posted quite awhile back. My 2009 LTZ was producing water on the passenger floor area. Before letting anybody tear my AC condenser apart I tracked the leak to two issues. The first was the sunroof seal being dirty so I cleaned it with alcohol and lubed it with a silicon spray lube. The second part was my car was developing its own ecosystem in the head liner with the overhead shade closed it was making tons of condensation onto the glass which was dripping over the tray and onto the top of the headliner and running down the passenger door post over the glove box and onto the heater box then to the floor so it looked like the AC condenser drain was plugged. This stopped when I cleaned the sunroof seal around the glass and the roof where it seals and then began leaving the sun shade open. Yes its true, no more wet in the car.

at least for a long time even through the rainy winters we get on the west coast. Then some 8 months later I notice now the head liner getting wet just at the top of the windshield/front door post. This time I brought it too a dealer under warranty. (I didn't even know I had until I got there) They said the drain tube had come off the tray in the roof. They fixed that and i have no more leak again. believe me it rains here and I have no cover for my car.

I hope you all have good luck getting yours fixed. I am one who gets really pissed off when my new car leaks and then I get equally elated when it actually gets fixed the first time, in one go. I love my car again now that it doesn't leak and I now trust the dealer i went to.

Michel

Steeler Fan
06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
My son just bought a 2008 Malibu in Jan of this year - had 50000 miles on it - first rain we had when it warmed up it leaked by the drivers side headliner - took it back 3x to the place we bought it from - they said it was the drain line from the sunroof and they said they fixed it - not. tried the door seal with a new one - gm changed the design so now the rubber is real hard vs what was in there. had to put the old seal back. emailed chevy customer service on this forum - not much help - said take it to a certified chevy dealer so they can look at it - $58 just to look at it. Then what? thanks Chevy. I was a Chevy man from way back when but after this.............

We have left the sunroof "screen" open - seems to help but still leaks in the rain...........

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-05-2013, 08:11 AM
Steeler Fan,

I sent you a private message in regards to your concern. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Rodents
06-05-2013, 10:32 AM
My son just bought a 2008 Malibu in Jan of this year - had 50000 miles on it - first rain we had when it warmed up it leaked by the drivers side headliner - took it back 3x to the place we bought it from - they said it was the drain line from the sunroof and they said they fixed it - not. tried the door seal with a new one - gm changed the design so now the rubber is real hard vs what was in there. had to put the old seal back. emailed chevy customer service on this forum - not much help - said take it to a certified chevy dealer so they can look at it - $58 just to look at it. Then what? thanks Chevy. I was a Chevy man from way back when but after this.............

We have left the sunroof "screen" open - seems to help but still leaks in the rain...........

Is the drain actually open? If you open the sunroof and pour water in the drain, you can see this if you look down at the frame of the sunroof, does water come out under the car? If not, it could be spider webs or similar stuff partially blocking the drain, in which case you just clean the drain. If the water comes in at the front corner of the sunroof, the drain hose is probably too short and easily comes off the sunroof frame. It's best to lengthen the line an inch or so, whatever way you can, either at the end of the line where it attaches to the frame, or inline, just use a plumbing sealer on the section you spice into so it doesn't leak at the splice. It's really not hard to do.

Shon00
04-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Hello everyone,

I am having the same leaky issue with my 2000 chevy malibu EXCEPT I don't have a sunroof. I purchased the car from an acquaintance in August 2013 and didn't have any issues with leaking until December 2013 when we started getting erratic rainstorms. The leak started on the front passenger side floor during a prolonged rainstorm. Since then it hasn't rained significantly except maybe three times. The third rainstorm lasted over 6 hours and all of the car floors were flooded. What can I do to stop this leak aside from buy a car cover? I've read the entire thread and I'm not sure where to start, because I can't even pinpoint where the leak is coming from, help me please!

Rodents
04-30-2014, 06:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I am having the same leaky issue with my 2000 chevy malibu EXCEPT I don't have a sunroof. I purchased the car from an acquaintance in August 2013 and didn't have any issues with leaking until December 2013 when we started getting erratic rainstorms. The leak started on the front passenger side floor during a prolonged rainstorm. Since then it hasn't rained significantly except maybe three times. The third rainstorm lasted over 6 hours and all of the car floors were flooded. What can I do to stop this leak aside from buy a car cover? I've read the entire thread and I'm not sure where to start, because I can't even pinpoint where the leak is coming from, help me please!

You need to find the leak to know what is needed to fix it. If you're mechanically inclined to do it, pull the right front carpet back, the right front sill plate out and have someone use a garden hose to run water over the car. Take the nozzle off and use a light stream of water to direct water over the windshield, maybe the right front door area and look for water. When you see water, follow the stream to it's source. This means someone has to be inside the car looking inside the passenger floor area for water, the passenger door closed and someone outside directing the water.

Is the water you see clean or dirty? If it's dirty water, the leak is more likely coming from road splash while you're driving and the leak will be lower in the vehicle. If it's clear, clean water, the leak is usually higher up. Think windshield, body seam, door seal, something like that.

If you find the leak, come back if you need help fixing it. Good luck.

Shon00
05-01-2014, 03:46 AM
You need to find the leak to know what is needed to fix it. If you're mechanically inclined to do it, pull the right front carpet back, the right front sill plate out and have someone use a garden hose to run water over the car. Take the nozzle off and use a light stream of water to direct water over the windshield, maybe the right front door area and look for water. When you see water, follow the stream to it's source. This means someone has to be inside the car looking inside the passenger floor area for water, the passenger door closed and someone outside directing the water.

Is the water you see clean or dirty? If it's dirty water, the leak is more likely coming from road splash while you're driving and the leak will be lower in the vehicle. If it's clear, clean water, the leak is usually higher up. Think windshield, body seam, door seal, something like that.

If you find the leak, come back if you need help fixing it. Good luck.
After 3 days of continuous rain I found the source of the leak. It appears to be coming from behind the glove box. There was a steady stream pouring downward from the bottom of the glove box as well as a slim trail of water flowing from somewhere underneath the dashboard. I'm hoping I can visually locate the crack(s) and plug it. Any feedback or directives is greatly appreciated.

DrivenDaily
05-01-2014, 03:50 AM
It sounds a lot like the windshield seal has failed.

Rodents
05-01-2014, 06:15 PM
After 3 days of continuous rain I found the source of the leak. It appears to be coming from behind the glove box. There was a steady stream pouring downward from the bottom of the glove box as well as a slim trail of water flowing from somewhere underneath the dashboard. I'm hoping I can visually locate the crack(s) and plug it. Any feedback or directives is greatly appreciated.

You're going to have to follow that water trail. Could be a windshield leaking. Cowl can leak too. Water can look like it's coming from a given area yet be coming from a leak quite a distance from where you see it.