Engine starting issues, 2006 v6 LT [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Engine starting issues, 2006 v6 LT

62rampsidekid
07-24-2011, 02:33 PM
My 2006 LT V6 will crank the first time you try to start it it but will not start. The second time I turn the key, it will start. The car runs great, averages 28 mpg according to the info center. It seems to do this mostly after have sat for several hours or more. Sometimes it will do it when I run errands and am in and out of the car. There are no error lights but I am going to check for any codes.

There is also a fresh fuel smell out side the car, I don't see any leak spots on the ground but still smell fresh gas.

I have the car jacked up and am beginning to search for the fuel issue but I thought I would go through the site looking for similar issues and post this problem to see if anyone else has had this issue. Thanks!

MalibuKen
07-24-2011, 03:30 PM
There is also a fresh fuel smell out side the car, I don't see any leak spots on the ground but still smell fresh gas.

Forget the starting problem for a moment; I would strongly encourage you NOT to drive it with that gas smell. The injector "rail" is highly pressurized and a leak in the wrong place can result in an instant fire. :eek:

As can a gas leak almost anyplace under the wrong conditions.

DrivenDaily
07-24-2011, 05:39 PM
Moving from DIY maintenance to Problems/Issues...

62rampsidekid
07-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Sorry about posting in wrong thread.

I have traced the smell back to the gas tank. My daughter has been driving this car for almost a year now so I rarely get to go over it other than when something is wrong or it is time for an oil change.

I think what is happening is, as the car sits for a little while after being driven, the fuel pressure drops due to whatever leak there is on top of the fuel tank. I am just now getting ready to drop the tank. Of course she tells mw about his problem after she filled it up. Well, the rain has stopped while my parking shade does a lot for blocking out the sun, rain is another issue since all my tools are outside of the shade since the shade is big enough for a car and not much else. Man I need a garage!

I will let you know what I find, I am on my way to drop the tank!

RalphP
07-25-2011, 07:31 PM
If you have enough room in another gas tank, what I've done is taken a hose (specifically an A/C hose from a gauge set, the one that goes to the R134a tank for refills!) and put it on the Schrader valve under the hood, then run the car to pump the gas from the tank into another tank (I had a Cougar with a 19G gas tank, that needed gas - this worked PERFECTLY for both last time I had to get ready to drop a tank in the Malibu. Turns out I didn't, but it was nice that it was empty ... )

Just a suggestion.

Fill up a 2.5G gas can (if you have one!) first, so that you can put some back into the car.

And if you DO drop the tank, and open it up, go ahead and replace the strainer on the fuel pump inlet and make sure you empty the tank well - no need to leave the crud that's floating in there now, in there.

RwP

peterdemski
08-03-2011, 01:37 PM
I was interested to hear if the hard start issue was resolved when the leak at the tank was fixed?

G8erB8
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
I have the same issue. It's only occasional for me. I was leaning towards the gas cap, but I've replaced it once already. I noticed the issue happened more right after I filled up..

Please let us know if it's fixed, and what exactly was causing the pressure drop.

Thanks!

62rampsidekid
08-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Sorry for the late reply. The problem has disappeared with the installation of a new fuel pump. I was going to check fuel pressure but after looking at the botom of the fuel tank, it was obvious that there was/had been fuel leaking at some point. With a fresh smell of fuel after the car was parked, I decided to pull the fuel tank. It was surprising easy to remove the tank. I do not live in an area were there is a lot of rain, ice and snow hardly ever so none of the bolts had rust on them even though the car has approx. 106,000 miles on it now.

I don't have the pics hosted anywhere so I can't post them up here. Once the tank was down, the dust, I live 3/4 miles down a dirt road, the output port on top of the pump was brand new clean. There doesn't seem to be an obvious crack but all the dust on top of the tank the father from the pump was getting dryer and dryer.

After replacing the pump, the starting problems disappered. It's been a couple weeks since I replaced the fuel pump and there has not been one time the old starting issue has popped up.

If anyone has any questions, feel free and ask here or send me a PM. I will answer them the best I can.

Rodents
08-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Below is a bulletin of things to check, really aimed at a technician, I put it here so you can reference it with your mechanic if you so choose. The 2.2 and the 3.5 both had calibration updates for long crank hot. You can also clean the throttle body at the throttle plate, that will help starting quality as the designed air past the throttle plates is restricted by carbon build up. Cleaning the bore and the plate edges will restore designed air flow. Do NOT spray carb cleaner in a throttle body that has electronic throttle, no cable, you can cause permanent damage to the throttle control motor. Just spray the carb cleaner on a rag and wipe away the build up. The updated programming can be done at a dealer or a properly equipped independent shop. Just throwin' that out there FYI

#PIC3649E: Intermittent Long Crank But Will Not Start Or Intermittent No Crank - keywords 2.2 2.2L 3.5L 3.9L BEC calibration code communication extended ground hard L61 LX9 LZ4 LZ9 nocrank nostart P0335 UBEC - (Apr 4, 2007)

Subject: Intermittent Long Crank But Will Not Start or Intermittent No Crank

Models: 2004-2007 Chevrolet Malibu/Maxx

2005-2007 Pontiac G6

2007 Saturn Aura

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update Recommendation/Instructions. Please discard PIC3649D.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may experience an intermittent no start condition that is not related to a battery charge condition. In some cases, the complaint may be described as a long crank concern. The Chevrolet Malibu equipped with 4 cylinder engines may possibly set code P0335.

Sometimes, the complaint may be the owner has to try and start the vehicle (cycle the key) several times before the vehicle will start.

It is important that at the time the vehicle is brought in for service that the complaint is understood.

When attempting to start the car, was it a cranks but will not start or was it a no crank?

Recommendation/Instructions:
Complaint of intermittent vehicle cranks/long crank but will not start:

Check that the ground stud nuts on the radiator support are tight. The terminal should not rotate.
Check that the main engine ground (located at the rear of the block above the transaxle) is tight. (G105) You will want to also make sure the terminal crimp is tight to the wire.
Remove the UBEC (Document ID # 1351208) and check that all the connectors underneath the UBEC are locked into position.
Reinstall the UBEC
For 4 cylinder VIN code F vehicles, check that the latest calibration for the vehicle loaded into the PCM
If the complaint is a long crank and then the engine starts, but runs roughly for a few seconds, check to see if the fuel pressure drops off when the engine is not running. If the pressure does drop off replace the fuel module assembly.
Complaint of intermittent no crank/ turn the key and nothing happens:

Check that G201/ G203 and G305 are secure.
Check high speed serial data circuit. (Document ID # 1465871) The connectors at the modules do not need to bebn removed from the module. The lock on each connector should be unlocked and then push the connector onto the module and then relock the connector at each module.
It the customer comments that there is no click or only one click noise heard when the key is turned. Then check G105 (the heavy engine ground located at the rear of the engine). The fastener may appear to be secure, but the ring terminal under the nut could be free to move. If this ground is secure then replace the UBEC.
If PCM code P1682 or SIR code B1370 is set, replace the UBEC.

G8erB8
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks very much to both of you for the update

Rodents
08-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I knew there was a bulletin for the V6, here it is. The long crank issue isn't mentioned until the last line. Also, cleaning the throttle body does wonders.

#07-06-02-003: Intermittent Check Engine Light On, DTC P0128 Set (Diagnose and Reprogram PCM, if Necessary) - (Mar 7, 2007)

Subject: Intermittent Check Engine Light On, DTC P0128 Set (Diagnose and Reprogram PCM, if Necessary)

Models: 2006 Buick Terraza

2006 Chevrolet Impala, Malibu, Malibu Maxx, Monte Carlo, Uplander

2006 Pontiac G6, Montana SV6

2006 Saturn Relay

with 3.5L or 3.9L Engine (VINs N, K, 1 -- RPOs LZ4, LZE, LZ9)

Condition
Some customers may comment on a check engine light being illuminated. This condition is intermittent and upon investigation, the technician may find DTC P0128 set.

Correction
Verify that the cooling system is filled to the proper level and using a scan tool, verify that the thermostat is opening at the proper temperature. If everything is functioning properly, then reprogram the PCM with a new calibration using the Service Programming System (SPS).

An updated PCM calibration has been released to address this condition. This new service calibration is available on TIS2WEB.

Important: The new calibration is included in a calibration that addresses long crank time in hot restart situations.