interior lighting problem [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: interior lighting problem

daboone
08-04-2011, 08:27 PM
On my 2002 Malibu LS the dome light and under the dash foot lights will not go off after the doors are closed. They go out if you start the car but if shut off the engine, remove the key and exit the car and close the door the lights stay on. Lights do time out after 10 - 20 minutes to save battery (as designed). Is this a relay/timer issue or a poor door lock? If there is a timer relay where is it located? Does anyone have any schematics for this?

Thanks for any help on this.

Daboone

RalphP
08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
On my 2002 Malibu LS the dome light and under the dash foot lights will not go off after the doors are closed. They go out if you start the car but if shut off the engine, remove the key and exit the car and close the door the lights stay on. Lights do time out after 10 - 20 minutes to save battery (as designed). Is this a relay/timer issue or a poor door lock? If there is a timer relay where is it located? Does anyone have any schematics for this?

Thanks for any help on this.

Daboone

Huh. Mine don't take that long, but they DO take 5 to 10 minutes to dim out and turn off.

I dunno, I'd check the owner's manual and see if it's "broken as designed" there ;)

I'd also check and make sure there's no "Door Ajar" notices while I'm driving.

RwP

MalibuKen
08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Huh. Mine don't take that long, but they DO take 5 to 10 minutes to dim out and turn off.

I think I remember seeing an "option" that can be set to make that time out interval shorter, maybe like 1 minute.

Then again, maybe not, as my wife asked if it could be made LONGER.......and I told her no because I didn't want to mess with it !! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, I think 10 minutes is WAY too long and probably indicates a problem with something.........although a "fix" might not be worth the cost.

daboone
08-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Status of problem: After checking doors again - no door ajar problems being declared. Checking dome light - switch works - turns off,on. Found a schematic in a Haynes manual and it looks like the BCM controls the timing of the lights. BCM cost $175 at Advance Auto. Was going to look into a used one at a junk yard when now the interior lights are working correctly. They go off 10 seconds after doors are closed (???). Do not know why they are working now.

One thing on the 20 minutes before the lights go off(as designed). In the owners manual it states that after 20 minutes if the car engine is not running the lights will shut off to save the battery life. Normally the interior lights will shut off in 10 seconds when you exit the car with the car engine off. I have not found anything in the owners manual about adjusting the time.

I am going to keep monitoring the lights for now and see if the problem comes back. In the winter time 20 minutes of on time will not be good for the battery.

DrivenDaily
08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
My 2c:

The 20-minute timer (controlled by the BCM as you say) is if you leave the door(s) open or ajar, or if the dome light switch was turned on and the key was turned off. That usually means you've left the car and are no longer in a position to monitor the lights, so it saves the battery from going dead.

The 10-second delay is controlled by the BCM as well, as you indicate. It allows you to shut the door and still have light to insert the key or whatever.

I suspect that by moving the dome light switch you cleaned it and/or caused it to stop sticking in the On position. The contacts are fairly wimpy and bend easily. They could have stuck the last time it was turned on.

daboone
08-05-2011, 08:40 PM
It was not only the dome light staying on though. The foot lights under the dash would also stay on. If I shut off the dome light with the manual switch the foot lights would still stay on when all doors were closed and I exited the car. Both now are working as they should for some reason. Playing with the different position on the dome light might have cleaned the contacts but I am not sure how that ties into the foot lights.

DrivenDaily
08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
That is odd. It may have "fixed itself" at the same time you were wiggling the switch.

That means it's likely to come back as an issue if the switch jiggling didn't fix it.