Front headrests [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Front headrests

montara24d
08-09-2011, 11:12 AM
We find the headrests on the front seats of out 2011 Malibu unconfortable, in that they seem to push your head forward. Does anyone know if there is some type of "tilt" adjustment built in, or only up & down.

malibupaul2011
08-09-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a 2011 malibu and to my knowledge there is no adjustment. They just slide up and dow in the seat back.

08chevymalibultz
08-09-2011, 01:12 PM
I have heard others say the headrests were uncomfortable / annoying! You have to remember that it is not a comfort thing and is more of a safety devise but I surely understand!

I find the OEM headrest forces your head forward if you rest your head back against it.

I was fortunate that I was able to upgrade my headrest with GM optional DVD Headrest when I first bought my Malibu, which adjust forward and back!

All in all, I have not been crazy about the Malibu seats in general, they are not the most comfortable seats. Just my opinion!

MalibuKen
08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
We find the headrests on the front seats of out 2011 Malibu unconfortable,

A couple of thoughts:

Is that "we" really more than one person ?

You might find significant relief just by reclining the seat back, back a notch or two. Or depending on your posture habits, maybe forward a notch or two.

And failing any of THAT, maybe a body shop could hook you up with an upholstery shop that could take an inch or so out of the padding......if it REALLY bothers you.

In your normal driving posture, your head should stay relatively close to the headrest.......but it doesn't need to be actually touching it.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Dear montara24d,

I have researched the owner's manual of the 2011 Chevrolet Malibu. After reading into the head restraints in this document, I would have to agree with malibupaul2011. The headrest are adjustable up and down.

I would like to thank you and other members of the forum that have shared their feedback about this. I will be sure to document your comments. By me doing this, it will allow the information to be saved and other various departments within General Motors will be able to view this.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

08chevymalibultz
08-09-2011, 01:59 PM
My wife has complained about our headrest but I was able to adjust ours with the upgrade DVD option ones! I “We” think it is more than a headrest problem and is the seat design in conjunction “together”

I have never felt this way on any of my vehicles that I have owned in the past or current except on the Malibu! It is not awful but it does stick out and is noticeable, which some find uncomfortable!

montara24d
08-09-2011, 04:57 PM
A couple of thoughts:

Is that "we" really more than one person ?

Thanks to all for the response. Yes "WE' means my wife & I.

I guess I'll start searching for the DVD headrests

MalibuKen
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks to all for the response. Yes "WE' means my wife & I.

I guess I'll start searching for the DVD headrests

I find this somewhat interesting since I've never had a headrest that was "uncomfortable" because I've never had a car where my head touched the "rest" in normal use. And that's about 20 or so different cars over about 45 years.

I wonder how many other people have this complaint ??
There must be a seating posture preference difference.......or maybe height.
I'm "Smurf" size, at 5' 4". ;)

da dark nite
08-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I am getting tv monitors for my head rest I will put up pics when I get it done.

DrivenDaily
08-10-2011, 03:58 AM
MILO,
Thanks for posting that link! I was gonna either search for it or post it again.

If you read that thread you'll note that mine were so uncomfortable that it was annoying. Changing them out for 2009 versions made all the difference!

08chevymalibultz
08-10-2011, 07:19 AM
The new headrest look like the same size of my DVD headrest but mine are adjustable! I donít know why GM did not make it adjustable since the design is already available! All they needed to do is exclude the DVD and continue to make it an option!

GregF70
08-10-2011, 08:48 AM
What we did in out 2010 Bu is swap the rear headrest with the fronts and we decided to not use headrest in the rear at all. So I have the front headrest in our closet at home. We do not have folks sitting in the rear of the car and it gives us more rear visibility without the head rests.

The rear headrests are not designed the same way as the front ones so they work better for us in the front. Don't push our heads as far forward.

Anyway, just a thought for you to try.

montara24d
08-10-2011, 02:14 PM
What we did in out 2010 Bu is swap the rear headrest with the fronts and we decided to not use headrest in the rear at all. So I have the front headrest in our closet at home. We do not have folks sitting in the rear of the car and it gives us more rear visibility without the head rests.

The rear headrests are not designed the same way as the front ones so they work better for us in the front. Don't push our heads as far forward.

A BIG THANKS for the suggestion, I just swapped the rear headrests to the front, and problem solved. Put the fronts in the rear for now.

Vegabond
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM

On the '11 I switched the front and back - see what it's like tomorrow morning on the way to work. Thanks all for the assist on this.

MalibuKen
08-10-2011, 04:29 PM
A BIG THANKS for the suggestion, I just swapped the rear headrests to the front, and problem solved. Put the fronts in the rear for now.

I think this was a rather ingenous solution to the problem; cudos to whoever figured it out first. :)

Just be sure you have them adjusted high enough so that your HEAD hits the rest during a "whip lash" event and not the back of your neck. Having one adjusted improperly can be worse than none at all.

knightblaze
08-10-2011, 05:12 PM
That's weird, I actually find the head rests in the Malibu to be one of the best and most comfortable(I actually USE THEM!) lol. All my other cars my head never was able to rest or lean on the head rest without me seeming to stare up at the roof liner.

DrivenDaily
08-10-2011, 05:19 PM
I don't rest my head on mine. The day after I got mine I took a trip of ~150 miles and disliked them immediately as they were constantly hitting me after every bump (no exaggeration). Next was taking them out and using the rear ones for a while. Then I was offered some from an '09 and gladly accepted them. I have them installed, but the rears I keep in the trunk until or unless someone is riding back there, for the same reason posted above - to see better!

GregF70
08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Glad the suggestion worked! I forget where I read that suggestion, I think it was here, but not sure.

:-)

cleatus
08-11-2011, 01:53 PM
That's weird, I actually find the head rests in the Malibu to be one of the best and most comfortable(I actually USE THEM!) lol. All my other cars my head never was able to rest or lean on the head rest without me seeming to stare up at the roof liner.

yep- me too- this is the only one i have had that actully fits me. i carpool awith another 6'+ person and he has no issues either, but a shorter guy DID say they pushed his head forward...height thing?

If GM is listening...I do like them and like the style- kinda euro...but they are big, acn could use a opening in the middle or something for visibility. Backup camera should be standard on this thing!!!

yes- the tilt SHOULD be adjustable

BillD64
08-12-2011, 06:16 AM
They are designed to meet the new federal standards. All cars will have this type of head rest from now on. Most people didn't adjust their headrests correctly in previous years so the government decided they would take care of the problem for you. Even with the old style it should have been adjusted upwards so it bumped you on the back of the head when going over bumps. The headrests are not designed for comfort and to allow you to sleep. They are designed to keep the occupants from getting whiplash injuries which can happen in any accident whether it be from the rear, front or sides. To prevent injuries the headrest must be close to the occupants head not several inches away.

Bill

Bill

08chevymalibultz
08-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree on the true reason of the headrest, They are not there for comfort reasons and is there to prevent injury! The one area I may complain about is that GM ignored and went old school with the rear center seat, No headrest to prevent injury!

Most of the time it is just our two younger kids sitting in the back but at times, one of our older kids will ride along with us. Another headrest in the back seat would have been nice!

oraldlight
09-03-2011, 04:12 AM
GregF70
Re: Front headrests

How did you release/remove the head rests?

DrivenDaily
09-03-2011, 05:45 AM
Use the button sticking out to raise it to the full-up position, then press the button on the other side (it's flush) to lift it beyond that.

silverado01
10-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I agree somewhat, that is why I got the v-6 6 speed,LTZ, I drov the 4 and though pretty peppy, it just didn't seem as quiet and smooth as the LTZ headrests don't really bother me, try tilting the seat back a little. I mean it is a head rest not a pillow I just bought my 08 yesterday and so far I love it, I think it handles great, little bit of road noise, plenty of power, OK gas mileage, I think the trunk is quite roomy, my LTZ has folding back seats, I mean its not a mercedes SUV, I didn't want that. Also you guys worried my about the vibration at 50, but today I really tested it and none. That must be something that can be fixed because a lot of bu's don't experiencee it, so it should be fixable whatever it is, so far so good for me, I didn't want a big roomy luxury sedan or I would have gotten an Infinity( 2 cents). When I test drove it, I noticed the tires were a little low and the info center said 29psi, so when I picked itt up, the guy said the mechanic put air in up to 31, since the door panel says 30. That;s the minimum i said. He saaid the mechanic wouldn't put 35 like you said. When I got home I put in 38PSi, what a difference in handing. I would like to get some better tires, maybe some michelins, anyone got a quieter, better tires?