2006 Malibu, power steering displays on DIC [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2006 Malibu, power steering displays on DIC

awesomea
01-16-2012, 05:26 PM
I was driving my Malibu to work this morning and when turning into the drug store, power steering displayed on my DIC ( Display Information Center). The steering of the car has not changed, but dont know what prompted that message to display? Any ideas?

Rodents
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
I was driving my Malibu to work this morning and when turning into the drug store, power steering displayed on my DIC ( Display Information Center). The steering of the car has not changed, but dont know what prompted that message to display? Any ideas?

Most likely related to Special Policy 10183 which covers the steering column in your car for 10 years/100,000 miles whichever comes first. You need to setup an appointment with a dealer for them to check it out as it could be something other than what is in this special policy and then it would not be a covered repair. The likelyhood of it being a different issue is pretty slim but still exists.

This won't fix itself, it's not just a one time and it won't happen again kind of thing, setup an appointment and get it fixed. These can do some crazy stuff when they go goofy, I've been there behind the wheel when it happened to me. Your dealer should not charge you for this repair unless for some reason they tell you it's not related to this special policy. If that does happen to you, get the code that was stored in the PSCM and get back to us first. Questions, comments, concerns?

awesomea
01-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much for the information. I have an appoitment set up for Wednesday at 12:30, hopefully nothing goes goofy before then. One question...what is a PSCM and what does each letter stand for?

Rodents
01-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Thank you very much for the information. I have an appoitment set up for Wednesday at 12:30, hopefully nothing goes goofy before then. One question...what is a PSCM and what does each letter stand for?

I should have done that in the first place, I was in a hurry, sorry. PSCM is Power Steering Control Module and it does what it says, controls the power steering.

awesomea
01-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Not once today did power steering display on the DIC. I am still taking the car to the dealership tomorrow, will keep you posted.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-18-2012, 08:10 AM
@awesomea, I hope everything gets resolved at the dealership today. I look forward to any updates that you would like to provide.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

awesomea
01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Update : Dealership states the steering column needs replaced. They ran the cars VIN and they said there is NO recall. Want to charge me $600 for the repair. How should I proceed?

Rodents
01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Update : Dealership states the steering column needs replaced. They ran the cars VIN and they said there is NO recall. Want to charge me $600 for the repair. How should I proceed?

I'd like the last 8 digits of the VIN or the full 17 digits. If you don't want to have everyone see it for some reason, PM me. I want to see if the labor operation was ever performed, if it wasn't, you should not have to pay for the column. Did you mention the special policy 10183 that I referenced in an earlier post? What reason did they give for not covering it? If I were you I would NOT authorize work yet. I work in a GM dealership so I can access what was done to your vehicle under warranty, all I need is the VIN information. Would be easiest to find on your vehicle registration or insurance card. The full 17 digits will start with 1G1Z and then go on from there.

DrivenDaily
01-18-2012, 08:09 PM
We can vouch for Rodents working in a dealership.

awesomea
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I contacted the 800 # for GM and they told me to wait and see if the issue occurs again. If it does, then the policy would cover the steering column. The dealer charged me $85 to diagnosis the vehicle...not to happy about that. The control module code was C04605.

Rodents
01-19-2012, 06:20 AM
I contacted the 800 # for GM and they told me to wait and see if the issue occurs again. If it does, then the policy would cover the steering column. The dealer charged me $85 to diagnosis the vehicle...not to happy about that. The control module code was C04605.

That is absolutely lousy customer service from every angle. Not only did the dealer do you wrong, the representative from GM was no better. Special policy 10183 is GM's word that they know there are issues and they are standing behind it. All the dealer had to do was document the C0460 code, which is for Steering Position Sensors 1 and 2 correlation. Doesn't get more clean cut than that. Document the code, put in the column at no charge to you and submit the claim to GM. Done deal. I don't know what to tell you. If by any chance you're anywhere close to the northern suburbs of Philadelphia, let me know, I'll put a column in for you. Hold on to your receipt from the dealer and be assured it will happen again. I don't know if Michelle here on the forum can do anything for you. She should check the thread at some point but you can also PM her. Really terrible customer service, I'm sorry you had to put up with such incompetence.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-19-2012, 07:32 AM
@awesomea, thank you for posting the outcome of your visit to the dealership yesterday. I can understand the frustration you are experiencing.

You posted you had contacted Chevrolet Customer Assistance; can you provide me with the case number they gave you? I would like to do some research about this. Please, feel free to send this information to me in a private message if you would like.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

makeupbyevette
01-22-2014, 12:31 PM
I had the same issue happen to me this morning. well the power steering notice came on and its turning fine and well i called the chevy dealer and they ran my vin # told me that my car wasnt under recall and mine is a 6 cyn not 4 cyn which the recall was for. they want to charge me 110 for the diagnostic. i called my repair man he wil charge 68.00 to run a diagnostic and check it out...should i call again with this special 10183 you are reffering too?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
01-22-2014, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by makeupbyevette (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=286850#post286850)I had the same issue happen to me this morning. well the power steering notice came on and its turning fine and well i called the chevy dealer and they ran my vin # told me that my car wasnt under recall and mine is a 6 cyn not 4 cyn which the recall was for. they want to charge me 110 for the diagnostic. i called my repair man he wil charge 68.00 to run a diagnostic and check it out...should i call again with this special 10183 you are reffering too?

Generally the dealership has access to all service announcements listed for your vehicle. However, if you would like for us to double check this for you, please send us your VIN and current vehicle mileage.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Drunken Elvis
01-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Here is the notice that GM sent me regarding my Canadian model 06 Malibu. Note the coverage is for 10 years and 150,000 miles. There is no mention of as to which engine is in the car, only that it must have electric power steering.

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j48/DrunkenElvis/Scan_zps9b953be7.jpg (http://s77.photobucket.com/user/DrunkenElvis/media/Scan_zps9b953be7.jpg.html)

DrivenDaily
01-23-2014, 07:55 AM
All v6 engines in the Gen7 have hydraulic power steering. Only the four cylinder engines got EPS.

Sent from the mobile phone of DrivenDaily!