Low beam problem [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Low beam problem

wazy
01-27-2012, 04:48 PM
Has anyone got an idea of whats going on with my low beams on my 2009 malibu - Last week my passenger side low beam went out so i took it into the dealer to get the bulbs replaced. I read the bill and noticed they had also changed a fuse whcih after thinking about it i thought is was rather odd they changed a fuse while changing headlights. After i got it back everything was fine again for a week. Anyways today while heading to work the same low beam went out. A few hours later I started the car and noticed the passenger side light was on but now the drivers side was out - a few hours after that when i restarted the car again the passenger light was out again but the drivers lamp was on?? Any ideas on whats going on?

Thanks wazy

Rodents
01-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Has anyone got an idea of whats going on with my low beams on my 2009 malibu - Last week my passenger side low beam went out so i took it into the dealer to get the bulbs replaced. I read the bill and noticed they had also changed a fuse whcih after thinking about it i thought is was rather odd they changed a fuse while changing headlights. After i got it back everything was fine again for a week. Anyways today while heading to work the same low beam went out. A few hours later I started the car and noticed the passenger side light was on but now the drivers side was out - a few hours after that when i restarted the car again the passenger light was out again but the drivers lamp was on?? Any ideas on whats going on?

Was the vehicle in an accident at some point? The low beam when you say 'it's out' is completely out, not real dim, correct? Looking at the schematic, I'd be curious if there's voltage at the fuses for the bulbs when they don't work. Fuse 7 is left low beam and fuse 9 is right low beam. Those fuses are in the underhood fuse bock. If it wasn't such a task to get to the bulbs you could check some things there but it isn't a 5 minute job. Sounds like an intermittent connection, loose terminal or socket somewhere, burnt fuse block, burnt bulb socket.

wazy
01-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Was the vehicle in an accident at some point? The low beam when you say 'it's out' is completely out, not real dim, correct? Looking at the schematic, I'd be curious if there's voltage at the fuses for the bulbs when they don't work. Fuse 7 is left low beam and fuse 9 is right low beam. Those fuses are in the underhood fuse bock. If it wasn't such a task to get to the bulbs you could check some things there but it isn't a 5 minute job. Sounds like an intermittent connection, loose terminal or socket somewhere, burnt fuse block, burnt bulb socket.

The car was not in an accident - and the lamp goes completely out and sometimes when you start the car it's the right lamp and sometimes it's the left lamp but most often it's the passenger side- I took the low beam relay out to look at it thinking maybe it might have had a corroded pin but it's clean.

Wazy

Rodents
01-27-2012, 06:13 PM
The car was not in an accident - and the lamp goes completely out and sometimes when you start the car it's the right lamp and sometimes it's the left lamp but most often it's the passenger side- I took the low beam relay out to look at it thinking maybe it might have had a corroded pin but it's clean.

Wazy

You're good to the low beam relay, as that relay feeds both low beam fuses. If both bulbs went out, it could be the relay, but not just one. If you have a meter you can check the fuses for battery voltage when the lights aren't working right. Inside the underhood fuse block the voltage from the low beam relay is split to the left and right low beam fuses.

wazy
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
You're good to the low beam relay, as that relay feeds both low beam fuses. If both bulbs went out, it could be the relay, but not just one. If you have a meter you can check the fuses for battery voltage when the lights aren't working right. Inside the underhood fuse block the voltage from the low beam relay is split to the left and right low beam fuses.

As an update - I checked the low beam fuse and it was blown - I replaced the fuse and everything works for now - when i went in to have the lamp replaced as i thought it was burnt out also shows they replaced a fuse - i gather something is causing the fuse to blow - i was thinking of putting a 15 amp fuse in place of the 10 amp but would assume i might burn somthing up before it pops again.

Wazy

Rodents
01-28-2012, 11:56 AM
As an update - I checked the low beam fuse and it was blown - I replaced the fuse and everything works for now - when i went in to have the lamp replaced as i thought it was burnt out also shows they replaced a fuse - i gather something is causing the fuse to blow - i was thinking of putting a 15 amp fuse in place of the 10 amp but would assume i might burn somthing up before it pops again.

Wazy

There's most likely a rubbed through wire somewhere and putting a 15A fuse in probably won't do much if anything. I won't tell you to do it but it PROBABLY won't hurt anything until you get ti fixed right.

wazy
01-28-2012, 12:01 PM
There's most likely a rubbed through wire somewhere and putting a 15A fuse in probably won't do much if anything. I won't tell you to do it but it PROBABLY won't hurt anything until you get ti fixed right.

Rodents: I appreciate your input on this - It's been very helpfull!

Thanks again

Wazy

MalibuKen
01-29-2012, 12:24 PM
As an update - I checked the low beam fuse and it was blown -

Well that wasn't the ONLY problem or they wouldn't have been intermittant like you described.

The fuse itself might have been intermittant OR one of the bulbs might have an intermittant short in the bulb........or as mentioned, in the wiring.

It is not unusual for a fuse to go when a bulb burns out because they sometimes short out for a second as the filament burns up.

wazy
01-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Update: Apparently there was a short in the headlight harness - $259.00 to find that out plus last weekends charge of $92.00 for replacing a fuse and a headlight! Obviously not very happy Malibu owner to say the least!