2004 Maxx 3.5L/V6 Oil leak above oil filter [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2004 Maxx 3.5L/V6 Oil leak above oil filter

JonBar1
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Hello everyone,

I did an oil change today and there is a major leak where the piece that holds the oil filter connects to the block. I am having no luck finding the name of this piece and am assuming there is a gasket behind it that needs replaced. There are two bolts holding this piece to the block and trying to tighten them has not helped. Any help with the name of this connecting piece or the gasket behind it is greatly appreciated!

The car is a 2004 Malibu Maxx 3.5L V6.
Thank you in advance.

MrRichRod
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Not familiar with your vehicle, but did you:

Remove the old oil filter gasket prior to installing the new filter?
Put a little oil on the new filter gasket prior to installation?
Only hand tighten the new filter on when installing?

Not sure if this is where the problem is coming from as I'm having a hard time visualizing where the leak is.

JonBar1
03-04-2012, 10:37 PM
I'll try to clarify. It isn't leaking from the oil filter.
The filter screws onto a 4" housing that comes off the engine block and is held on by two bolts. Where those two bolts hold that housing in contact with the engine block is where it's leaking from. I couldn't easily reach the bolts to remove it, but I highly suspect there is a gasket between it and the block that has gone bad. I don't know the name of the housing to find a gasket for it and Google isn't helping.

It looks like on the 4 cylinder the filter screws directly onto the block, so I'm guessing only the 6 cylinder has this housing.

RalphP
03-04-2012, 10:52 PM
I'm going to bet it's the Oil Filter Adapter Gasket, which is where you're describing it.

RockAuto lists it for a 2004 Malibu 3.5 V6 ... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1431703&parttype=10649

RwP

JonBar1
03-04-2012, 11:20 PM
You are correct Ralph, THANK YOU!!

It is so nice to finally know the name :)

MrRichRod
03-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm going to bet it's the Oil Filter Adapter Gasket, which is where you're describing it.

RockAuto lists it for a 2004 Malibu 3.5 V6 ... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1431703&parttype=10649

RwP

You 'da man!! :D

RalphP
03-05-2012, 06:12 AM
If it helps any - that's a VERY common failure in Ford modular V8s, so I've read about several swapping on their TBirds/Mark VIIIs/Cougars on another forum I frequent due to owning Ruby Jean (a 1991 Cougar, albeit without the oil filter adapter gasket problem ... )

Glad to help.

RwP