2006 Malibu Oil Life Indicator [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 2006 Malibu Oil Life Indicator

tzarder
03-09-2012, 11:41 AM
I have a 2006 Mailbu with the 3.5 L engine. 155,000 miles. I have always changed my own oil except for the last one which a local Chevy dealer did for free. My oil life indicator would always show change oil soon after about 6000 miles. Since this last oil change I noticed it came on way early. So I reset it this morning and after driving only 40 miles it is down to 89%. What would be causing this?

Thanks

Rodents
03-09-2012, 11:46 AM
I have a 2006 Mailbu with the 3.5 L engine. 155,000 miles. I have always changed my own oil except for the last one which a local Chevy dealer did for free. My oil life indicator would always show change oil soon after about 6000 miles. Since this last oil change I noticed it came on way early. So I reset it this morning and after driving only 40 miles it is down to 89%. What would be causing this?

Thanks

Never saw that before, is the car running okay? No telltale lights on in the dash? This is all an internal PCM calculation. Either the PCM is bad or it's seeing data incorrectly and miscalculating. It did say 100% when you reset it right?

tzarder
03-09-2012, 11:54 AM
Yes, it did say 100% when I reset it. Car is running perfectly. The only other things I noticed differently on the car is that the door ajar light is staying on even with the doors closed. I am assuming that is a door latch problem from what I have read on these forums.

Rodents
03-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Yeah, the door ajar issue is most likely a latch. I did some more looking around in SI tonight and there's a bulletin, PIP3774B, which addresses your problem. The fix is to reprogram the PCM. You can go to either a dealer or properly equipped independent facility to have this done. If you have GMPP, you may want to see if your agreement covers this operation. I would first talk to your dealer, but if you call around you may find other shops that can quote the job. After reading this bulletin, it kind of rang a bell, can't say I ever ran into one that actually had the issue though.

tzarder
03-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your replies on this issue.
Wierd thing....I drove 40 miles on my way to work and it went from 100% to 89%. THe 40 miles on my way home the indicator went from 89% to 88% which is probably around normal.