Popping noise when turning my wheel [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Popping noise when turning my wheel

malibu_lady
03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Okay, I am back guys! I need to get to the bottom of what may be wrong with my car....again! When I turn my steering wheel really hard/sharp there is a loud popping noise. I thought originally it was the drivers side cv joint, so I bought the new axle, but the more I hear it I don't think it is. Last time I had a bad cv joint it was a constant pop pop pop pop everytime I turned the wheel. Now only one hard pop when the wheel is turned very sharp/hard.Any suggestions?

Rodents
03-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Turning hard while moving, right? Only one single pop each time you turn it? Sometimes hub bearings will make a single pop. Noise started all of a sudden or has gradually got worse? No work done recently? No curb hopping?

malibu_lady
03-24-2012, 05:22 AM
Turning hard while moving, right? Only one single pop each time you turn it? Sometimes hub bearings will make a single pop. Noise started all of a sudden or has gradually got worse? No work done recently? No curb hopping?

It was popping when I bought it from the last owner. No work done recently...except the plugs and wires. And no curb hopping. Seems to be just one single pop. I have a strut that is creaking but already have that identified.

MalibuKen
03-24-2012, 05:52 AM
I thought originally it was the drivers side cv joint, so I bought the new axle, but the more I hear it I don't think it is.

I think you should NOT buy parts based only on a wild guess.

While you might not be able to better identify the source of the noise by putting the car on a lift (one where you can turn the wheel while it's up), it certainly wouldn't hurt........and it might pinpoint the problem so you could buy the right parts the first time.

Even if it costs you ~ $50 to have somebody inspect it, you might still be money ahead in the end.

malibu_lady
03-24-2012, 06:00 AM
I know not to buy parts based on a wild guess, and even though I have the new part, it has not been installed so if it is something else it can be returned.

Rodents
03-24-2012, 05:13 PM
With only the info you gave to work with, I'll stick with a hub bearing as a possibility. Like I said, aftermarket bearings, and very rarely even an OE bearing, will make a single pop noise on a turn. If this is easily duplicated, it should be relatively easy to diagnose.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-26-2012, 05:52 AM

I would have to agree with MalibuKen in regards to getting the vehicle up on a lift to get to the bottom of this. I completely understand that you are prepared with the axle and it should be able to be returned if that is not the part that you need, but we want to make sure that you are getting the proper diagnosis and getting this taken care of so you can enjoy your vehicle.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

b3y0ndd34th
08-30-2012, 04:01 PM
Did you solve this issue? What was the problem? Did you just run the car?

I purchased my first malibu a few weeks ago, and I drove it home from the car dealer (as a used car).

My car has a faint "pop" when I turn at low speeds, I tend to feel it in the steering wheel, it feels like faint "clicks". No matter the direction I turn the wheels it will pop, once or twice, not close together it just pops as I turn the wheel further it will pop again.

If I get above 30 mph or so the "noise" goes away. I'm trying to gather information as to whether or not it should be a concern or if it is just "noise" and where to turn. I plan on having the car fully inspected by a mechanic, but I'm still working on my down payment and when money becomes available again, until then it's the DRIVEWAY GARAGE lol.

malibu_lady
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I replaced both hub assemblies on the front and it seemed to solve te issue.

b3y0ndd34th
08-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, it seems the Rack and Pinon cause some issues, some Intermediate shafts, some seem to be strut issues. Guess it's time for a mechanic trip lol.

stydel311
05-13-2013, 06:16 AM
My 2005 does it when slowing down all the time and when turning at about 10-15. I'm guessing steering knuckles? The car just rolled 90,000 and is all original yet.

Rodents
05-13-2013, 09:58 AM
My 2005 does it when slowing down all the time and when turning at about 10-15. I'm guessing steering knuckles? The car just rolled 90,000 and is all original yet.

Single pop noise? If so, you might want to suspect a hub bearing. The knuckle is a solid piece of metal, unless fractured or broken, they do not make noise. Lower control arm bushings can slip in those cars, stabilzer end links, steering gears, racks. Noises are tough without being able to witness them first hand. If you can more thoroughly describe the noise, maybe we can help narrow things down a bit.

stydel311
05-13-2013, 11:29 AM
It's a repetitive popping noise, almost like a clunking noise. Now that I think of it, it does it when lightly braking as well. All of the wheel bearings are good. It only does it when turning at low speeds. Are there any grease zerks I'm not seeing that are dry? I know the passenger control arm has one on the bottom, so that control arm must have been replaced because its cleaner than the drivers side control arm that doesn't even have a zerk at all. Everything suspension wise is tight and the rubber is all still solid, not cracked and falling out.

stydel311
05-16-2013, 10:39 AM
Found this service bulletin online, but can't open it because I dont have a paid subscription to the website:
10000 STEERING
Bulletin No: 060232007

Date of Bulletin: 01/23/2007
Summary Description:

CLUNK, KNOCK OR RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT OF VEHICLE WHILE DRIVING OR TURNING OVER BUMPS AT LOW SPEEDS. *KB (DIAGNOSE NOISE - LUBRICATE INNER AND OUTER STEERING SHAFT, REPOSITION I-SHAFT, ADD FOAM TO RADIATOR SURGE TANK MOUNTING BRACKET