TPMS Progamming without Fob [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: TPMS Progamming without Fob

Norton
04-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi,
I have a 2008 LS which has an aftermarket remote start installed on it. My question is, is there an alternate method to get the DIC into the TPMS learning mode when you don't have the OEM fob?
I tried the process (listed in this forum) that uses the OEM fob using my aftermarket fob instead, but it will not go into learning mode.

Thanks.

chevyguy8893
04-06-2012, 08:16 AM
If I remember correctly it can be activated in the secondary menu on the DIC. Press the back button and the info button on the steering wheel at the same time to access the other menu. Then, use the info button to cycle through that menu. I may be wrong and mixing it up with the process on other GM cars.

Norton
04-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Thanks chevyguy,
I did try this a while back but as I recall on the secondaty menu you can only access changes like lauguage, auto door locks, chimes, etc . I didn't see any menu option to get into TPMS learn mode.
My wife is out of town with the car at the moment but I'll try it again when she's back tomorrow just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

thanks,

chevyguy8893
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I just double checked, and I was wrong. The secondary menu doesn't have it, I mixed it up with other cars. The only method, other than the remote, that I know of is using the tech II scan tool to put the TPMS into learn mode.

GeeEssFore
04-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Most tire shops can reprogram through OBD2 port. We use a scanner called Bartech and it can do it without key FOB.

Norton
04-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Ok thanks guys. But in that case, I think I might just go buy an OEM fob then. I don't want to have to go to dealer or a tire shop for programming twice a year since I also use snow tires with TPMS sensors in them in the winter.
As long as I can have both the OEM and aftermarket fobs programmed to work on the vehicle at the same time, not sure if that will be an issue as the might interfere with each other(??)...I hope not.

Cheers.

09LT2
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
No they will not interfere... Aftermarket doesn't use the factory remote computer. It has it's own brain.

MrRichRod
04-06-2012, 07:46 PM
You can purchase the Kent Moore EL-50448 GM TPMS tool for $63 if you'd rather. This is the consumer tool that's required for '12 Malibu's but will work with previous years models.

http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677

More info on the subject can be found here (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8287&highlight=tpms).

GeeEssFore
04-06-2012, 08:27 PM
The car can only store 4 diff tpms at a time.

GeeEssFore
04-06-2012, 08:30 PM
That tool only activates the sensor but will not turn car into learning mode with a fob

You can purchase the Kent Moore EL-50448 GM TPMS tool for $63 if you'd rather. This is the consumer tool that's required for '12 Malibu's but will work with previous years models.

http://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677

More info on the subject can be found here (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8287&highlight=tpms).

MrRichRod
04-06-2012, 10:58 PM
That tool only activates the sensor but will not turn car into learning mode with a fob

You're right, I forgot that with this tool you still need the keyfob to reprogram the TPMS. Good catch GeeEssFore! ;) I apologize for the bad info.

Cited from (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=81780#poststop):
Hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob at the same time, you'll hear a double horn chirp and the LF turn signal will illuminate, release the fob buttons and with a tire monitor activation tool (such as the Kent Moore EL-50448, under 75 bucks I think) start with the LF tire and hold the activation tool at the sidewall of the tire at the valve stem and activate the sensor. When you hear the horn chirp, the right front turn signal illuminates and you activate that one and continue to the right rear and finish at the left rear, you'll hear a confirmation horn chirp and you're done. Somewhere during the '11 MY the pressure increase/decrease method was no longer supported. Prior to then, you can activate the sensor by increasing or decreasing tire pressure in the same order LF, RF, RR, LR. You have less than a minute to start the learn procedure once the car acknowledges the fob key press. Once you learn the first sensor, all have to be learned or the TPMS warning light will be on.

Norton
04-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I"ll buy an OEM fob off ebay and go from there.

Thanks for your help!

DrivenDaily
04-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Check with your dealer first. It may cost quite a bit to program it to your car. Check also on possibly getting two or more programmed, or if you have X number already programmed if you can add & program your own. That way, if one is lost or broken, you might be able to save some $$ later on.

MrRichRod
04-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Check with your dealer first. It may cost quite a bit to program it to your car. Check also on possibly getting two or more programmed, or if you have X number already programmed if you can add & program your own. That way, if one is lost or broken, you might be able to save some $$ later on.

I recall a thread where someone stated that their locksmith had a better price than the dealer when it came to reprogramming their keyfob's. Just another option to might look into. :)

Happy Easter everyone!