Why is my car jerking and shutting off while slowing down? [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Why is my car jerking and shutting off while slowing down?

Black_Bu
04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu Ls with 60k miles on it. I noticed last week that it starting jerking a little while accelerating and kind of sluggish. Yesterday it started jerking while i slowed down at a stop sign. At another stop sign it jerked harder and the engine shut off. The car cranks back up like nothing is wrong. I noticed it only shuts off if it jerks real hard. I got the car used 5 months ago so I dont really know what kind of maintainence was done on it..

Also, I added some STP gas treatment with a full tank of Exxon gas, the car hasnt stalled since but still jerks quite a bit when accelerating and when making stops..

Black_Bu
04-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Also let me add that I took the car to Auto Zone to get any codes read but since theres no check engine light..no codes!

greenman
04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Which engine?

Black_Bu
04-10-2012, 10:10 PM
2.4 cylinder

Rodents
04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Did you pull any spark plugs out? Maybe a carbon tracked plug, cracked plug, bad coil.

Black_Bu
04-11-2012, 08:24 AM
I haven't checked the spark plugs,.I found a video on how to do it but haven't made up my mind on trying it yet being that I'm not too car savvy..

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
I haven't checked the spark plugs,.I found a video on how to do it but haven't made up my mind on trying it yet being that I'm not too car savvy..

It might be worth your while to have the dealership take a look at this. Since your Malibu is a 2008 and if it is diagnosed to be something with the transmission or something else within the Powertrain warranty, you might get it resolved at no cost to you. However, you would have to be under the 100,000 miles too.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service