Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adding OEM fog lights

18K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  ilirj93 
#1 ·
I've been able to easily find the parts to install some factory fogs on my LS. My question... Is there wiring at the bumper and in the dash for the different switch?

Thanks for any insight. :)

#4 ·
Start pulling it apart. Most of the time anymore, there are not too many instances where wiring is supplied from the factory for options the vehicle doesn't have. Assuming the underhood fuse block has the required terminals for the relay and the fuse for the fog lamps, you need to run wiring to the BCM, for relay control, you'd need a switch, part of the headlamp switch by the schematics, and then the wiring to the lamps themselves. Then you'd need to have the BCM reprogrammed for the fog lamps as well. That might be the hard part. Never tried it outside of installing a factory accessory kit. There's an authorization number that comes with the kit and we use that for getting the software changed. Now this would be what I've done in the past for a Cruze. Cruze no longer needs that programming so maybe the gen 8 Malibu BCM is ready to go, maybe not, I don't know that, never been down that road. The wiring you need to do is all fabrication, not factory harnesses.

#6 ·
Yeah, sorry, that's how it is anymore. Every year it seems to get more complicated. It's tough even in a dealership like I am. The info I have to work with isn't always accurate or complete, we're on a 'need to know basis and we don't need to know' some things evidently. Todays cars work on different levels depending on factory option content so adding something seemingly simple isn't as easy as it should be or used to be. For example adding a factory navigation radio to a non factory equipped car isn't done. I'm not saying adding the fog lights can't be done, it's not going to be easy or cheap to do it with factory parts. I can help you with terminals and wiring diagrams if you can get someone to cooperate and get the BCM setup done. I'm not actually sure what needs to be done with the BCM, if anything. I would need a donor vehicle to find out and I don't have a spare gen 8 hanging around right now.

#7 ·
An alternate choice is to install the fog lamps, add a "regular" switch in the cabin that controls a "regular" relay under the hood that turns them on and off. Simple, inexpensive, and likely to last years and years without an issue!

#8 ·
Yeah, I was thinking of doing just that but, I was thinking I could still use a stock switch and just tap the harness for relay control. I'm fairly decent with wiring. :)

Oh, and Rodents thanks for the additional info. I may definitely hit you up for diagrams and pin-outs. ;)

#9 ·
The stock switch is momentary so you'll need to find or devise a circuit that'll flip flop on actuation, but that'll also keep the stock look.

#18 · (Edited)
all aftermarket parts, btw. the harness i got did not come with labels. while i figured out most of it, there's a T-split female-to-male connector coming outta the main fuse15 relay that i don't recognize and cant find anywhere in the engine bay. ill be poking around again later tonight and again tomorrow before work.

http://i.imgur.com/OBDfVAr.jpg

surprisingly, my years of computer hardware experience doesn't help with identifying car electrics very much lol. hopefully i'm just skipping over it and not noticing, but i need a pointer. its got a 7 pin connection, that bottom left pin slot is empty. that picture is showing the female side, male side is the exact same 7 pin. looks like it would sit between an existing connection. as far as everything else, i've been able to figure it all out.

EDIT: found it!! it's i guess to let the foglights act as DRLs? i may just waterproof it and hide it if i don't need it. also after struggling to work out everything i found instructions.. a little late now that i went over everything quite a few times and slowly worked it all out lol. now as soon as my bezels get outta china and it stops raining i can install everything. only thing i need now is to find a good ground for my in-cabin switch that's near the instrument panel fuse block.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.