Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Programming key fob with remote start ???

103K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  brittleady 
#1 ·
I Just recently purchased a 2011 2LT Malibu with remote start and i was wondering what is needed to program another key fob to it without going to GM if its possible...any suggestions

#2 ·
Unfortunately to stay out of the stealership it looks like you'll need $4000 to buy yourself a GM Tech 2 Flash Dealership Scan Tool. You can always try a locksmith, or cheaper make friends with someone at the dealership.

I hope someone knows something I don't though.

#4 ·
Just bought a remote from yourkeylessremote.com on ebay. Number matched the gm part number on my keyfob. Took it to my buddy's shop. He used his Tech 2 scan tool and programmed both remotes in less than 90 seconds. My dealer wanted 40 bucks to do this. So you do not have to go to a dealer.

btw...keyfob cost me 16.99 with free shipping

#5 ·
I had the same problem as you a few months ago. The dealership wanted $95 to reprogram the remotes. No local locksmiths would do it either. I bit the bullet and went to the dealership. Luckily the guy was nice enough and reprogrammed the FOBs for no charge and said, and I quote, "If I am going to charge you that much for 1 minute of work, I might as well punch you in the face as well." We both laughed and I went on my way.

Sometimes the employees recognize the errors of their employers and will cut you a break. Its worth a try.

#7 ·
Had the same problem but I read the instructions. You have to press and release the lock button then immediately press the start button and hold for two seconds. The lights will flash to let you know it received the signal and it will start for 10 minutes. You can do the same thing for another 10 minutes before it stops but only that one time for an extended 10 minutes. You can also stop it by pressing the start button.

#8 ·
Ok so this might be a long shot. I live in Bristol and tried to source a programmer and key dealer locally without having to import that too (the key that came with it no longer works). I've been assured by my locksmith cotham that they have the equipment to program a fob, but I need to first get my hands on the fob. Anyone know any UK dealers who may be able to help? Make is same as OP's. Thanks.

#10 ·
HOW TO!

Remote Control Door Lock, Theft Deterrent, and Remote Start Transmitter Package Installation (InstructionID:23257090)
Installation Instructions Part Number

Kit Contents
Qty

Description

Key Fobs

One Page Installation Instructions with Authorization Code Label

Tools Required
Scan Tool (with Pass Thru programming capability)
Service Programming System
Procedure
Note: Please review this entire procedure before trying to perform it.

If the vehicle was ordered with the Accessory Remote Start kit, there is no programming required. This can be verified by checking the VIN in the Investigate Vehicle History system, IVH. If the vehicle was built with RPO code S6P, the vehicle was produced with the correct system software and no call to TCSC is required. Once the new fobs are learned to the vehicle the install in complete.

If the Accessory Remote Start kit is being added to a vehicle and S6P is not listed in the RPO build of the vehicle. Call TCSC to obtain a VCI number. United States 1-888-337-1010 Canada (English) 1-800-828-6860 Canada (French) 1-800-503-3222. You must have the vehicle's VIN that will be upgraded and the Authorization Code from kit. This will allow you to access the software to enable the remote vehicle start option.

Programming Section
Programming Vehicle

Body Control Module Programming and Setup (Calibrate the BCM for BTV)

Note:

DO NOT program a control module unless directed to by a service procedure or a service bulletin. If the ECU is not properly configured with the correct calibration software, the ECU will not control all of the vehicle features properly.
Ensure the programming tool is equipped with the latest software and is securely connected to the data link connector. If there is an interruption during programming, programing failure or ECU damage may occur.
Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. Install the EL - 49642 SPS Programming Support Tool to maintain system voltage. If not available, connect a fully charged 12V jumper or booster pack disconnect from the AC voltage supply. DO NOT connect a battery charger.
Turn OFF or disable systems that may put a load on the vehicles battery such as; interior lights, exterior lights (including daytime running lights), HVAC, radio, etc.
During the programming procedure, follow the SPS prompts for the correct ignition switch position.
Clear DTCs after programming is complete. Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.
Reprogramming ECU
To program an existing BCM, perform the following procedure:

Install EL - 49642 SPS programming support tool.
Access the Service Programming System (SPS) and follow the on-screen instructions.
On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select BCM Body Control Module – programming and follow the on-screen instructions.
Perform the following for the appropriate ignition type prior to proceeding with the next step:
Key Ignition System: key in the ignition and any additional keys must be away from the vehicle at least 3 meters.
Push Button Start System: Keyless entry transmitter must be in the console programming pocket. Refer to the Help section button on the SPS Immobilizer Setup screen for the exact pocket location. All additional transmitters must be away from the vehicle at least 3 meters.
Note: The following programming step may take between 10 - 12 min. and progress will appear to have stopped during this process. This is a normal security timer response and a restart should not be performed. If the DTC B389A set immediately after programming a replacement BCM, the Immobilizer Learn procedure was not properly completed. The Immobilizer Learn procedure needs to be performed again.

Note: Deleting existing Keys or Transponders without remote start button – this will render the subject key(s) inoperable. This step will however, allow the new transponders to correspond with the memory seat locations. – Skip Step 5 if the vehicle is NOT equipped with Memory Seats.

On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select IMMO Immobilizer Learn - Setup. On the next screen, select (Program Transponder or Remote Key (Delete). To Delete existing keys and remotes, follow the on-screen instructions. When Delete existing keys and remote is complete, follow on–screen instructions and exit the Immobilizer learn mode. repeat this step to delete any remaining remotes.
Note: Adding new Keys or Transponders with remote start button.

On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select IMMO Immobilizer Learn - Setup. on the next screen, select (Program Transponder or Remote Key (Add). To add existing Transponder or Remote Keys, follow the on-screen instructions. When Immobilizer Learn is complete, press the Unlock button on the keyless entry transmitter to allow the keyless entry transmitter to exit the Immobilizer Learn mode. Repeat this step to add any additional remotes.
Note: When performing the Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor Learn during BCM setup, the EL-46079 tire pressure monitor diagnostic tool must be used to activate each tire pressure sensor for vehicles with UJM.

On the SPS Supported Controllers screen, select BCM Body Control Module - Setup and follow the on-screen instructions.
Check the driver information center display for additional messages regarding further calibration instructions. If there are no additional driver information center instructions present, programming is complete.
At the end of programming, choose the “Clear All DTCs” function on the SPS screen.
If ABS, Traction Control and/or Stabilitrak indicators are ON and DTC C0161 is set in the electronic brake control module after performing BCM programming and setup, do the following;
Disconnect the scan tool from the data link connector.
Ignition OFF, all access doors closed, all vehicle systems OFF, and all keys at least 3 meters away from the vehicle. it may take up to 2 minutes to power down.
Ignition ON, verify DTC C0161 is in history. If not, repeat the above step to make sure the vehicle is in sleep mode.
Use the scan tool to clear the DTCs.
Unsuccessful Programming Recovery
In the event of an interrupted or unsuccessful programming event, perform the following steps:

DO NOT turn the ignition OFF. Ensure that all ECU, DLC and programming tool connections are secure and the TIS terminal operating software is up to date.
Attempt to reprogram the ECU.
If the ECU can still not be programmed, turn the ignition OFF for at least one minute.
Turn the ignition ON and attempt to reprogram the ECU. The ECU should program.
If the ECU still cannot be programmed, replace the ECU.

Add the transmitters to the customer key rings and return to customer.
Return the old transmitters to customer.
Note: The first two transmitters programmed will serve as the master keys, identifying seat positions with each of the two transmitters.

To Erase all Fobs and Relearn
Note:

All transmitters must be programmed in a single programming sequence. Once the Erase/Program All Key Fobs selection is made, all learned transmitters will be erased. If all the existing transmitters associated with the vehicle are not learned at this time, they will become inoperative and require additional programming.
Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the transmitter program mode. This will prevent the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.
This procedure will first erase all known keyless entry transmitters. After all transmitters are erased, the procedure will begin to program keyless entry transmitters in sequential order, beginning with transmitter 1.
With a scan tool, access the Body Control Module Configuration/Reset Functions menu. Select Add/Replace Key Fobs.
Select Erase/Program Fobs. This will erase all learned transmitters and prepare the BCM to learn new transmitters. Follow the on-screen instructions.
When all the desired transmitters have been programmed, cycle the ignition from ON to OFF, exit the vehicle, and operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
To keep existing fobs as 1 & 2 and learn the RVS fobs as 3 & 4:
Note: Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

This procedure will program keyless entry transmitters in sequential order. If two transmitters are currently learned to the vehicle as transmitters 1 and 2, using this procedure will learn the next transmitter are transmitter 3, and so on.

With a scan tool, access the Body Control Module Configuration/Reset Functions menu. Select Add/Replace Key Fobs.
Select Next Available Slot. Follow the on-screen instructions.
When all the desired transmitters have been programmed, cycle the ignition from ON to OFF, exit the vehicle, and operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

#13 ·
Your comment seems to be incomplete. You bought the fob at "auto" ...? Auto Zone, Advance Auto, Rock Auto, or an auto parts store?