Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

failure of the instrument panel cluster

67K views 32 replies 20 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
All the meters in the instrument panel cluster suddenly stop working when I was driving. The pointers stay at the position before the meters fail, and all the lights and indicators on the panel are off. However, other functions of the car keep normal...

Could someone give me any suggestion how to fix it? Or should I go to the dealers? Here are informations about the car:
Malibu 2009 LT, V6 3.5 engine. It has run almost 40k miles.

#3 ·
I'm more inclined to think there will be a loss of communication code somewhere in the car. A loss of either of those fuses that feed the cluster should bring with it more symptoms. Did the cluster work normal again when you shut the car off and restarted it later?

#8 ·
I'm kind of thinking that the thread owner isn't returning anytime soon since their last activity was about 4 years ago. But if you could elaborate just a bit more on your problem, we could do our best to assist you. First let us know the year of your Malibu and the symptoms and problems you are having and we'll go from there.

#9 ·
First of all Thank you very much !tommy for your help in this matter. I own 2010 Chevy Malibu LT 2.4L, The problem is with my IPC (Instrument panel/cluster) the gauges and lights are not working. The only functional indication i have is check engine light and anti theft system light other then that all the IPC is blank like its not getting any power. It all started when i jump started my car and the next morning my IPC was blank, I removed the -ve terminal of my battery and waited for 2 to 3 mins and connected it again i got the IPC working after doing that but after 3 key rotations it was blank again. I removed the terminal again and got it back but again it went blank the next morning this continued like a month then one morning removing the -ve terminal didn't worked as well and the IPC never came back after that (The only thing i did different the day before is that i have changed my IPC units from Km/h to Mi/h). All the other functions are working properly. I even get all the cheme indication wile over speeding or not having my seat belt on(The sound ting...ting...ting). I have connected the HUD(Heads Up Display) and getting accurate speed so i thing the BCM is working.

Thanks again for your concern in helping me with this matter :)

#11 ·
I have the same issue but mainly when it's cold. I cam remove the negative cable for a few minutes put it back sometimes works right away sometimes I have to let the car warm up for a bit. Sometimes they will turn on, then when I turn the car on they turn back off. What I tried all day yesterday was everytime I turn the key to ACC then turn off auto lights, then turn the car on they stay on. This will be the first time I do it overnight. We'll see the outcome this morning. Another thing I bk noticed is a fast clicking sound coming from behind the coin tray. Panel dimmer module maybe?

#17 ·
More to the story. I took the car to a shop and they scanned it and found code U2116, "Temporary loss of communication with IPC (instrument panel cluster)". This code led them to a TSB (Transportation service bulletin) which said the IPC needed to be "re-programmed" by a dealer with the most current software update for the TECH2. So, I made an appointment with the local dealer and showed up at the appointed time. I handed the service manager the TSB and he immediately said the "re-program" would not fix the problem. He took me to the lead shop mechanic who said more than likely I have a grounding issue. He said his fix is to install a heavy gauge wire from the negative battery terminal to the body of the car. I took his advice and when I went to install the new ground, I found a factory ground exactly as he described already in place. Is there anybody out there that can help me test the IPC to see if it is bad? I have checked as many grounds as I can find on this car and they all appear good.

#15 ·
The problem can be a faulty ground or the cluster panel itself. In my case I have replaced the panel and everything was normal only we have to program the new cluster panel with the vehicle VIN it can't be done without the TECH2. Replacing the panel is easy just pop the plastic around the panel and open 4 bolts holding the panel behind will be a connector just unplug the old one and plug the new one in.

#16 ·
If you remove the Cluster/Theft fuse you will most likely have the same result as disconnecting NEG Battery cable. I have noticed that when I put the fuse back in after it's been removed for 10 minutes or so, I hear what I believe is a stepper motor in the cluster engage. When I hear that it always comes back on.

#23 ·
I have the same problem with 2010 malibu with the instrument panel gauges not working. I took out fuse in trunk for IPC and re-inserted and it work for about 2 weeks. Know not working and tried removing fuse again but it didn't work this time. Has anyone come to a solution and does chevy know what the problem is?
Thanks much for any help

#24 ·
You may want to read this thread about fretting corrosion to see if it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.