Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backup camera or sensors

23K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
iS THERE A EASY WAY TO ADD THESE?
Since you pretty much cant see out the rear of a mailpoop, i think these should be standard.

I have seen aftermarket mirrors, but dont want to remove my stock GM mirror with all that crap built into it.

any thoughts on this? anyone done it?

#2 · (Edited)
Backup sensors would be a cheaper method than a backup camera. A downside is some of the sensors seem to require drilling. Cameras are nice, but if they are covered in water or dirt thrown up constantly on the back of the car the become useless. I honestly don't have any issues with seeing out of the back of the car, but sometimes at night I have issues because my glasses are always lightly tinted, and combined with 20% tint it can be hard to see.

I know there are some decent backup cameras that just add a small screen that can be used, and you would only need to find a spot for it. Then this way you don't need a new rear view mirror. There seems to be a lot of options of what you can get between sensors or a camera, but I can't vouch as to how well they work.

#3 ·
I have the talking sensors. When I put it in R it beeps, then when I get close to something it tells me in perfect English "8 feet", then "5 feet", "3 feet", "2 feet", "12 inches", and finally "collision". If something or someone crosses the sensors horizontally, like a child or car, it says "object in blind area" and will not change the message until I take it out of R, presumably putting it in P to get out and check.

http://www.poronusa.com/

The model I have is the Micro3LV. http://www.poronusa.com/index1.htm

The above links may not work correctly on FireFox. They do on IE.

They can be installed through the bumper (I did that on my '09), or by installing the included adjustable hinged devices. I removed them from the '09 at trade-in and have since installed them on a license plate frame I painted. I'm gonna move them to a small bracket that I install using the license light screws. They are inside the license well and I guess the signals are echoing, or something. When installed correctly they work perfectly!

#4 ·
While I have no personal experience with aftermarket setups, the OE equipment on new cars, I would prefer the camera as you can actually see what's there and where it is, the sensors are just telling you something is there and roughly how close you are. Neither system is perfect, both have to be kept clear of obstructions, the camera would have to be kept clean. The sensors as far as OE stuff work well, the aftermarket I can't say good or bad. The backup camera for me is easier to look at, whereas the lights used on the object detection sensors aren't always placed in a good spot for easy viewing. You get what you pay for, like always. Just my 2 cents.

#6 ·
No issues. For ease of installation make sure you get a wireless one so you don't have to run a wire/wires to the front of the car.

You can tap into the reverse lights at the rear fuse panel in the trunk, left side, behind door made of carpet. Look at fuse cover for location of fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.