Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Front end collision alert

16K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  05130513 
#1 ·
I am trying to understand more about the front end colission alert on '13 LTZ. One guy at the dealership explained it as being a radar pulse (narrow beam) shooting straight ahead. It went off once on me while making a left turn from a stoplight. I was close to car in front of me but not really closing in fast. It went off once on my wife while coming up on a car, but she didn't think she was really too close. I have tried to set it off by tailgaiting a couple times (I know, not a real good idea), but it did not go off. The guy at the dealership said go out on highway and come up fast on someone (I think a worse idea). I just like to understand how things work, not just take for granted that it does.

#2 ·
I'm not sure exactly how it works either, but I think it takes into account your speed and your closing speed with an object in front of you to set off the alarm. If you tail gate someone there is no closing speed so no alarm. I'm not sure about the "radar". I think it uses the windshield camera because a few times, when driving toward the setting sun, I get a false alert. I think it is caused by the sun blinding the camera.

#3 ·
Not sure what triggers it, I have it also and i did notice that there is a camera or sensor in the grill. Unclear if it's the FEC Camera/sensor. I believe the camera below the mirror is the lane camera.

It was weird/unexpected when the collision camera went off and the red light flashed up on the window.

#5 ·
I do know the camera is behind the mirror and it's some kind of narrow radar beam.
It does sure get your attention when it does go off.
So what's the camera/sensor in the lower driver side grill? Any idea, could it be the lane drift?

Yeah mine shuts off the volume on the stereo flashes a red beam out of the dash on the windshield. Got my attention.

#10 ·
This is the front end camera that monitors the cars in front at higher speeds. I've seen the same type on the 2012 Dodge Charger and when used, I was able to program it to 3 car lengths. When I used it, I set the Cruise Control button at 75 MPH and I was able to maintain the same speed as the car in front of me, regardless of the speed of the car in front of me. It worked flawlessly for me on the Charger, as the car slowed down, so did the Charger. If the car sped up, the Charger sped up with it (within 3 car lengths) but will not exceed 75MPH, since I selected that speed when I first selected it. I don't know if it does the same for the Malibu, but ... I assume it works pretty much in the same fashion but then again ... I wouldn't know because I don't that option on my 2013 LTZ.

#6 ·
According to the information I have available to me the Forward Collision Alert is a forward facing high resolution digital camera on the windshield that continuously monitors the proximity of the vehicles in front of the Malibu. It provides the driver with an audible and visual warning of potential collisions based on closing speeds. This can be engaged by pressing a button on the Cruise Control cluster. The driver can set the collision alert distance by steering wheel control on the right side.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#12 ·
I see the one below the mirror, just don't know what this one is. According to Michelle the one below the mirror is the collision camera. If in fact it is, then what is the one I have pictured that is located low on drivers side grill? It wouldn't make sense if for it to be the lane camera but IMHO it does make sense that it it could be the collision "radar". Oh well we'll find out eventually.

#13 ·
Just read the owners manual, it states that both the lane departure and front end collision feature are controlled by the camera under the rear view mirror. No reference to the one I took a pic of. My best guess is it's the ambient air temp. Thought maybe it was the auto headlight but that is the one on the dash.

I may try heating it with blow dryer just to see if it affects the gauge on the infotainment center. I hate when I don't know what something does.

#14 ·
If the temp sensor is what it is and it works like the Gen7 version, heating it up with a dryer may result in a locked result until you've reached 55 mph for a period of time or have driven 10 miles.

I had mine to service one time and it was almost 70° outside but the display showed 39°. I called service and they told me to keep driving and it'll reset at 10 miles (or 55, but I was in town). I thought they were looney but right at 10 miles the display finally changed to the correct temperature.

If you need more info, use Search feature for the forum or call service. You'll find a complete description of the function. Remember, these aren't just simple systems anymore. They're hooked up to a computer that has all sorts of programming to make them "smarter", but they work more like they're there to frustrate the operator.

#15 ·
Well blow dry didn't work, didn't heat it long. I just wanted to warm it up. Temp readout on the infotainment center never changed. I have a heaetd garage and the readout was the same as the thermostat in the garage.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm like you, mzodarg, in wanting to know what EVERYTHING is on the car, so when I saw your photo, I went hunting through the online manual and elsewhere online, and could not find it either.

I did find that the headlamp sensor is located on top of the instrument panel, and the solar sensor for climate control is located on top of the instrument panel near the windshield. As you found, the Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are controlled by the same camera.

Other thoughts I had were sensor for:
OnStar?
Universal Home Remote?
Navigation?
Event Data Recorder?
Remote Keyless Access?

Maybe your salesman would like a project to find out for you (and all of us)???

#17 ·
Lol- As long as it's not a tracking system that the wife had installed, I'll be ok not knowing. I lied WTF is it. I'll run by my dealer on the way home from work and challenge his tech knowledge.

Tre'

#19 ·
The small camera or small lense located under your rear view mirror is your Alert Collision Camera.

The small round bubble thing located in the center of your dash board. That's your Automatic headlight feature if it's set on Auto.

The small round thing located under the right driver side under your lower grille. That's your temperature Sensor.

If you don't own a Owners Manual Book or just simply you want to have a online version of it. Here's the link to it.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...d_Videos/02_pdf/2015-malibu-owners-manual.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.