Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

ChevyMalibuForum.com is the premier Chevrolet Malibu Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Problems/Service Issues/Troubleshooting (Generations 5 & 6) (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Beeping from dashboard (http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21585)

pkguy 08-17-2013 10:41 PM

Beeping from dashboard

2001 Malibu. Upon starting it this AM, I heard a beep in the dash but didn't think much of it. However, while waiting in "park" at the drive up banking there was a very consistent 1 beep, 7 seconds, 3 beeps, 7 seconds, 4 beeps. Repeatedly did it the whole time I was idling. It did this for the whole time I was in park. I turned off the radio; still did it.

It went away after I put it in drive and did not reoccur in the driveway at home after sitting in park for 5 minutes.

I did install a new battery two weeks ago and my teenage son who drives the car most says it has been beeping for him when he first starts it up recently. But he ignored it.

Car runs fine.

Any thoughts???

pkguy 08-20-2013 12:59 PM

Re: Beeping from dashboard

Well, I'm not really being swamped with ideas from the croud. Even though this is the first time the car has done this for me, I would think it has happened to someone somewhere out there in Malibuland. Or maybe an official service tech cruising these posts ;) .

The beeping is NOT the "chime" noise for the keyminder or the door locks. It is not the quick, rhythmic morse-code type noise from the radio speaker due to cell phone activity.

It sounded like a computer type of beep like when you first turn on a desktop, only not quite as loud.

Sooooo..... anyone?

Manny_V6 08-20-2013 01:46 PM

I think I might know how to fix it, as I had that same problem with my '98 Malibu. My blinker cluster kept on clicking non stop (As if the blinker was on, but it wasnt) and there was a horid beeping coming from the car (As if the car is in gear and the door is open). I popped open the cover on the stop of the steering wheel changed out the blinker switch, Which is one piece with the windshield wiper switch, and the noises went away. Havent had the problem since then, and its been about 1 year.

Manny_V6 08-20-2013 01:47 PM

pkguy 08-26-2013 10:22 PM

OK. Thanks. I'll give that a look-see.

But as I've said, the beeping is not simply on-off-on-off. It is one beep, three beeps, and then four beeps. Each group is seven seconds apart. Almost like when you could get an error code by counting the blinking "check engine" light on the dashboard. But with beeps.