Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

2009 Mailibu - 2.4L - Check Engine - Intake Camshaft Position Sensor

62K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Fliteline1 
#1 ·
I have a check engine light, which has been coming and going for 2 months. I took my car to Pep Boys and they plugged in the code reader and told me it is the intake camshaft position sensor. They said they wanted to charge me $89 to run a diagnostic (which would not count toward the repair).

Should I just replace the sensor myself?? I can probably figure out how to pull off the plastic engine cover (although I have never had it off before). Then, if I have a new camshaft position sensor, I can probably find the part on the engine that looks like it and then swap it out. Is this something I should try myself???

Coop

#2 ·
Have you checked to see if it is covered under warranty yet? It is easy to replace if the sensor is the problem. The only one I encountered with this code was a wiring problem at the PCM, but that was because the car was in an accident. So, if it isn't under warranty and you want to just try the sensor it is located below the oil fill hole in the cylinder head.

I would check to make sure the connector is fully seated before doing anything. If you change the sensor the bolt torque spec is 89 in lbs. Also, before putting in the new sensor lubricate the o-ring on the sensor with clean engine oil and be sure everything is clean.

#8 · (Edited)
i have the same exact code and i have 2009 chevy malibu hybrid one of the sensors is in front top of the engine kind of, above the oil filter housing i replaced it but the check engine light still sometimes comes on, im guessing it has to do with the recall that they are working on getting parts for that has to do with the traction control/ service ECS and power steering???? that pops up at random and my car starts acting little weird when it swithches gears idk why if anyone knows how to turn it off before the recall becomes active please let me know because its really annoying. the traction control turn off button doesnt work anymore!!!!! And it says code p0010 and says its the camshaft sensor in bank 1???? where is the bank 1 sensor? maybe i replaced the wrong one?

#11 ·
I took my car to the dealer after seeing the check engine light. They checked the code and it was for the cam positioning sensors (2). They told me at the dealer that GM suggests that both be replaced. I had the work done, and noticed now that I don't hear the rattle noise when starting, and also the engine runs much smoother. I also noticed before that the engine would sometimes hesitate when pulling away from a stop. That has all ceased. I give kudo's to my dealer for his diagnostics and repair. I didn't know that the sensors could make that much of a difference.

#12 ·
P0010 is not for a cam positioning sensors. P0010 is for a cam positioning actuator.
There are 2 actuators on top of the head on the passenger side of the engine. Very easy to replace, 1 bolt and 1 connector each. One is for the exhaust cam and one is for the intake cam. Replace them both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.