Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Stalling, ESC and TC lights

28K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  DrivenDaily 
#1 ·
Hello I am an owner of a 2009 Malibu and I am having the worst time with stalling, shutting off and the esc and tc light coming on. It really stalls when its really cold outside and it acts like it wants to stop while driving. When I first noticed it I was turning and now it happens while I am driving. The ESC and TC lights came on so I took it to the dealer, they scanned it and the traction switch was bad. Because it was an intermittent problem they couldn't tell me anything else. I replaced the switch. Two weeks later doing same thing and now engine check light is on. Took to dealer traction switch code was gone. Scanned again and now map sensor code was coming up. Long story short I replaced the map sensor. The problem still exist and I am starting to hate my 2009 Chevy Malibu! Know one can tell me what the problem is and I am spending money on parts and its not fixing the problem. Please help... Frustrated Malibu owner.:confused:

#2 ·
Re: New member

Moved from New Member Intro area ...

... since you're not really introducing yourself, your seeking input on a problem ...

Look up the issue using Search and see if unplugging and re-plugging the BCM will do the trick. (Read it first!)

#3 · (Edited)
Re: New member

Drive to autozone, have them read the current codes for free, write them down & report back here with the exact code numbers-not an interpretation of them by an autozone store clerk.

There is no traction control switch trouble code per se. There are three MAP sensor trouble codes.

Also, if you know the other codes that it has popped lately, give me those.

#4 ·
Thank you. My check engine light came on again and I went to autozone the code it is reading now is P0106. Prior to that it was P0107 and C0561. When the dealer got the code of C0561 they told me it was the code to change the traction switch. I did that it did not fix the problem. Then the code P0107 next and the dealer said it was the MAP sensor. Still having same issue. Now the code from autozone is P0106. I am confused and feel misled by the dealer because from what I was told there is not code for the traction switch.

#6 ·
Firstly, these are likely unrelated issues.

C0561:
I know exactly why they reached the conclusion to change the traction control switch based on that C0561. There's a bulletin out that would lead you to that conclusion unfortunately that fix won't always be the right fix. Now, one problem you have is the car may still be reporting a C0561 code but you won't know it because the code readers they use at autozone can't read any codes that aren't OBD2 codes. But let's assume for now that was the right fix & that issue was corrected.

P0106 & P0107:
Since you've already swapped out the MAP sensor & are still getting a MAP sensor code your problem is with the wiring to the MAP sensor. A visual inspection may reveal the problem (usually easier said than done) or that circuit will need to be tested for a fault. That is generally not something most people can do themselves.

#7 ·
Ok I see... So now that we now know that may be the problem should I take it to a mechanic to get it visually inspected or should they scan it again? It sounds like an easy fix so what do you suggest I do at this moment because I want to sleep again not worrying about this issue. Thank you so much for your help. This has helped me a lot because I wasn't getting anywhere with my local dealer and they have been giving me the run around.

#9 ·
Reseat the connectors.
If he had advanced scanning capabilites I'd bet on a communication error code coming up. That's what tipped me off on reseating my connectors to cure my ESC and TC warnings along with my brake lights coming on by themselves.
This CAN stuff is sensitive.

#11 ·
Yes, the non dealer has scanning capabilities. OK I will make sure I let him know. I dont know what I am doing as far as that stuff goes. I actually replaced the Traction switch though so I am not sure why it still flashes unless like you say try resetting the connectors. I dont get the brake light issue. Just the stalling and the shutting off. I see it is very sensitive. Thanks.

#12 ·
help. i have a 2012 chevrolet malibu. getting a traction control error and service esc error. the mechanic shop at my employer (auto class at technical school) read a code DTC C0561 errror. is this something i can fix myself. it does not do this all the time. the error is sporadic and the car acts as if it wants to quit running. email:kellyterry36@gmail.com

#18 ·
Tell us, please, what year and engine you have. It could make a difference or be of no consequence, but it's hard to tell without knowing that.

I have a 2011 with the V6. A couple years ago the "ESC Off" and "Service ESC" messages started to appear on my dash. I thought it might be one of the front wheel bearings, which also contains the wheel speed sensor, since I thought I was also hearing a grinding noise. I replaced the 2 front bearings but the messages kept appearing.

Until recently, just turning the steering wheel after starting the car would usually get the messages to appear, but now they rarely appear.

I believe the messages may be due to the SAS - steering angle sensor - that was not able to communicate with the computer properly. Why it changed, I don't know. Why it's better, I don't know, either.

The difference between the 6-cylinder and 4-cylinder cars is mostly the power steering. In my V6 it's hydraulic; in the I4 it's electronic. So, for the V6, the only electronic item I am aware of at this point is the SAS. In the I4 with EPS, it could be not only the SAS but possibly some component within the EPS system itself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.