Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turn signal auto cancel failing

58K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Portland_2LT_2010 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. It's a 2009 Gen7 Malibu, with 51,105 miles on it.

When I signal for a right turn, it engages as it should. About 2/3rds of the turns, the turn signal stays on even though I've definitely turned the wheel enough to get into the cancel mechanism. Left turns are no problem, works fine.

Every time I feel it's going to keep doing it and I'll bring it into a dealer, it works fine (as usual.) There are no other issues with the car. No funny noises from the steering column, smooth operation, no other complaints. Anyone else have this happen?

#2 ·
Recently mine has missed canceling on rare occasions, both left and right. Same symptom: turned far enough to cancel but doesn't. Mine makes a funny noise like it tried to cancel but instead just made noise.

#3 ·
Had the same problem on my 08. It was 1 time out of 50 tries or so right turn only would not cancel. I paid close attention if it was a good turn of the steering wheel or not to make sure it wasn't me. Took it to the dealer and was told could not duplicate the first trip in. Second trip to dealer and they duplicated the problem and replaced the turn signal switch. No problem since.

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input folks. I'll be taking it into a dealer. Glad it's a company car and I don't have to pay the stealership labor rates.

BTW, it does make the "click" that it should to cancel as though it's hit the trip dog, but there must be something loose. I've been watching it carefully to try and understand the conditions under which this happens, but it truly seems to be random.

If this is the only frustration I experience with this car I'll have no reservations about buying it when the time comes to get a new leased fleet car. That should be sometime next year. They replace the cars once they get to about 70K to 80K. When my last one came up for replacement and I ordered the Malibu (over a Toyota Camry, Prius, Ford Fusion or Chrysler Sebring), they offered me the 2006 Ford Iscrap Hybrid for $7350. Given the lower original cost of the Malibu, I imagine the offer will be low $6,000's.

When I take it in, I'll ask about getting the No.3 button on the radio fixed. Other than that, the car has been fantastic. I cannot imagine that I'd have any fewer issues if I'd taken any of the other choices, and so far...no Toyota-like recalls. ;)

#7 ·
Most times, it takes three pushes to select station. I feel like Dorothy trying to get back to Kansas.

Known, common problem on many '09's.

#9 ·
It happens more times than not when I turn right. Never had a problem turning left. It's very annoying. But I love the car, and I'm very happy with it (except for that and the dash raising up behind the right side of the glove box--weirdly it raises higher when it's cold, and is barely noticeable in the summer). I'll be getting both fixed shortly!

#10 ·
I've been paying better attention to my canceling issue. If it did it on the left it was only once, so I may have made a mistake. But it is doing it more often to the right than it was just a week ago.

Referring to another thread about the LAME selling dealership who told me to take it elsewhere, I'm nearly done wrapping up my dealings with them and will soon be finding another one. I've just started noticing also that my dash is lifting a little right behind the center glove box lid. So I guess I've got two new issues for my new dealership! Huahh!

#13 ·
Oh, man, if you end up with more problems (new rattles and squeaks) as a fallout of the warranty service at this new dealership, I'm going to wonder if it's you afterall. Either that, or I'm staying far away from Louisville or the state of KY, even. Maybe there's something in the water or something.:D

#14 ·
I'm starting to think it could be me as well. Maybe I'm a magnet for all these issues. I guess I'll contact GM and see if they'll hire me for product testing. With all the stuff that seems to be going on I'd be able to shake down a new car in no time! ;)

#19 ·
I had this issue also (turns often not cancelling in one direction but ok the other)... There are little flares on the steering shaft that push plastic tabs on the turn signal level back to neural position. The turn signal level tabs wear out. For me the fix was a very inexpensive AC Delco replacement turn signal lover. Dealership once quoted me about 300 dollars to replace this but the part is easily installed in 30 minutes without special tools and costs less than 30 dollars.

Amazon.com: ACDelco D6253E GM Original Equipment Turn Signal and Headlamp Dimmer Switch: Automotive

For a guide on how to install:

Chevy Malibu: Turn signal not resetting after a turn

I had my car into a body shop and the body guy did it for free but it isn't a big job. 3 months later I have a reliable quiet and not 'crunchy' sounding turn signal level again.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.