Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKAR Audio MaliBOOM v2-SBN Build!

64K views 210 replies 25 participants last post by  SMBenn 
#1 ·
Hello all.....Going to post some pics of how she sits currently and work as I get it done in time for Spring Break Nationals on March 3rd :)

This is how she sits now

Here are a couple pics of the Malibu as of yesterday

See less See more
#2 ·
Curious to get some opinions from you guys on the route I want to go with my Malibu. As many have seen my first MaliBOOM build was primarily a SPL build. Got dumb loud but just wasn't as pretty as I wanted it to be. This Malibu will be a bit different ;)

As everyone knows tax season is coming up and that will free me up the funds to go a little crazy on my Malibu. We were going to try and get the SKAR Audio excursion finished but the amount of work needed would be cutting it super close so we I've decided that the Malibu will take priority. Going to go after 1st place in Domestic at SBN Tuner Jam.

I will be doing some small stuff over the next week or 2 as well. Going to be painting the chrome trim around the outside of the windows matte black to set off the rims. Instead of painting my heads with nightshades I'm ordering some blacked out heads off ebay. The insides themselves are painted black so it keeps that dark look without sacrificing any visibility at night :)

I have basically 90% convinced myself to bag it. There are WAY to many speedbumps and pot holes where I work and live so if I ended up cutting the springs a good bit I would be pretty nervous about how reliable it would be with added weight in the back as well.

Also would love some opinions on my mids/highs setup. I originally only wanted 1-6.5 per door and a tweeter or so per door as well but the more I realize this won't be a walled spl daily the more I want to just go ham on my mids/highs. Jon was thinking somewhere in the area of 3-8s and 2 tweets per front door and then 2-8s and 1 tweet per back door.

As far as the exterior paint I am going to leave that silver for now. The original paint is flawless except a couple small imperfections on the rear bumper. I love how this silver pops and looks with the matte black in the wheel wells so I am deff going to stack silver for now.

#3 ·
Reserved for progress.

#5 ·
Thanks bro! Appreciate the feedback! I will have a good bit of progress coming up over the next 2 months in prep for this show!

#6 ·
I kinda wanted to bag mine too...lol maybe way down the road. I was actually gonna take a stab at the paint scheme you guys did on the other one....

Guess Im not really sure what your after. Granted I think the only custom Im gonna do in the future for my front doors is fitting a single 8" if I feel the need. Im gonna pretty much play the SQ route to simple point sources. Your around a lot of loud stuff so I can grasp your view....I have my hoopty set up for 2 10s 1 8 and a super per door...lol

These Malibus seem to have that clean look so it keeps me from wanting to tear it to pieces. Im holding myself back on panels to be completely honest....put it this way....I pulled up with the new car...first thing the buddies ask "Are the door panels still on it?"...its that bad really...lol

Im gonna watch this for sure tho. Your doing what I would normally do by the sounds of it.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Welp went ahead and ordered them anyways lol. They should get the job done!

Should have some updated pics of the build starting tomorrow as it progresses :)

#10 ·
hmmmmmmmm

What have we got here?

#11 ·
#12 ·
Little better pic of some goodies

#13 ·
My batteries have been squared away! Going to be running 3 Cat 5 Group 31 Stormcells in the trunk and then 1 Cat 3 group 27 Stormcell batt under the hood!

#14 ·
Does anyone know much about the suspension on our year Bu's?

I've heard that the Pontiac G6's share a lot of Malibu stuff so I figured since they don't make a coilover kit for the Malibu that maybe a kit for the G6 would work. They don't actually make one for it either but they have one for a Saab 9-3 which shares the g6 suspension setup......

#15 ·
#16 ·
Some videos in remembrance of the MaliBOOM v1

#17 ·
Welp, after getting my final quotes on the bag setup for the Malibu I will be holding off on it for now and just getting some 2" H&R lowering springs and then cut them a little to the desired ride height. Going to suck on speed bumps and the ride won't be as good but I would rather focus on getting the car visually appealing that way nothing is half assed for this show.

I can always bag it for the next string of big shows in November.

#18 ·
Hoping to go from this

to this

#19 ·
I'm really liking the purple thing you got going on. I've always been a fan of black/purple. Those locking lugs look pretty sweet!

#20 ·
You ain't seen nothing yet! lol This Malibu will be getting a full facelift over the next month :)

#22 ·
thanks bro!!! Will have a bunch of good pics coming here shortly!!! :eek:

#23 ·
Got copper?

lol

#24 ·
lol! may need to snag one of two of those :)
can't wait to see this man, I've been bragging to my friends about your v1 build saying my bu will become like that eventually (sike, if i can ever afford that!).
i'll be looking forward to more and more updates as you continue this awesome journey, keep it up!

#25 ·
lol thanks man! Glad someone is tuned in!!! ahah

#27 ·
hmmmmm ;)

#30 ·

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.