Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 suspension noises

22K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  jmchristian 
#1 ·
I have read a few post dealing with some of the noise issues with the 2010 malibu suspension.

I am currently dealing with a "popping" sound from the left front fender well myself. As expected, it didn't make any noise when I test drove it, but did start around 1 week of driving. I have taken it to the dealer several times and have since taken it to another dealership. They found the front sway bar links to be faulty and replaced them. Worked for about a week, then it started again. To me, it sounds like its coming from the front strut, but everytime I take it in they say nothing is wrong with it.

Has anyone had success with getting dealerships to actually inspect the struts? Still under warranty, so they should be able to take it out for inspection right?

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your problems. It's really difficult to track down front-end noises from inside the cabin. Sometimes what appears to be coming from the left side is actually from the right, etc.

The stabilizer link goes between the end of the stabilizer shaft and the strut assembly just below the spring. Then, stabilizer shaft is held in place to the frame with a clamp and bushing on the respective side near the lower control arm. Needless to say, that area is pretty busy. They must've had reason to suspect the links but obviously something else is going on.

Beware that they cannot fix something based just on your descriptions. The next time you take it in, be sure to ride with the service adviser or tech. and let them hear/feel what you're talking about.

#4 ·

Thank You for the information. I did take it back and after several attempts with the tech did replicate the noise. While the noise was evident, he did claim this is a common problem with the Malibu with no clear fix. He replaced the top mounts but still did not fix it. I am taking it back next week to give it another shot. Any suggestions for the tech?

#5 ·
I've used the Chassis Ear gadget in the past to pinpoint the noise. Hopefully the tech's using something similar and not just trying to guess. Suspension noises are a tough animal and I actually feel sorry for the tech who probably doesn't even get properly reimbursed for the time spent.

#6 ·
He did mention he used his sensing equipment but couldn't pick up the noise heard. He mentioned they used the equipment in the garage, pushing and shaking the car as much as possible, but could not pick it up.....can anything be used while driving it?

I can understand his predicament and know how frustrating it can be. It is also frustrating when dealer after dealer tells you they can't find it.....although they can hear it.....literally driving me crazy.

#7 ·
The Chassis Ear I used had 6 microphones you clamp onto different locations. They are wired up to a box with rotary switch and a headphone. You'd then drive around while clicking in different microphones and listen. So, if they had something similar, he could drive around and listen, provided that the noise can be reliably reproduced.

#8 · (Edited)
I know is an old post, but my 2010 has a front end noise. It is very temp related (odd). Sounds like a loose strut mount and it is really noticeable below freezing. The dealer has been very helpful in getting this fixed. They replaced both struts,checked the brake calipers,sway bar,and the exhaust system. I just got it back Friday (1-21-11) and has been quiet. The temps around here are in the low teens (Ohio). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

#9 ·
I know is an old post, but my 2010 has a front end noise. It is very temp related (odd). Sounds like a loose strut mount and it is really noticeable below freezing. The dealer has been very helpful in getting this fixed. They replaced both struts,checked the brake calipers,sway bar,and the exhaust system. I just go it back Friday (1-21-11) and has been quite. The temps around here are in the low teens (Ohio). I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Might be your steering rack too, very common on these cars.

#13 ·
mrpdesign,

The frustration and anxiety that you are going through are completely understandable.

I would like to try to assist you with your situation with your Malibu. From what I have read on this thread, you have taken it to a couple of different dealership with no diagnosis, correct?

Have you had the situation with your transmission diagnosed to confirm that it is getting ready to go?

I am trying get clarification about your situation so that I can research what avenues we can take toward a resolution.

Sincerely,
Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

#15 ·
Well maybe Michelle can help us all. My noise is mostly low temp ( below 35 degrees ) and low speed ( under 20 mph ) on rough road surface. Car is quiet all other times. Tires are hard compound low rolling resistance Firestone FR 710 that finished last in CR's tire test. Still best car since 1974.

#17 ·
After hearing that some other people are experiencing the same issue, I'm inclined to believe that this is a design or part design problem. Maybe it's a combined issue. I going to replace the tires with Michelin Primacy MXV4 and hope that it dampens some of the noise. these tires are know for their good comfortable ride. I will be doing this around the end of July, so I won't know if it works until next winter. The Dealer I bought the car from, has been very helpful in trying to get this worked out, but there is only so much that they can do.

#19 ·
My 2010 and my wifes 2011 both have the noise. Very annoying. Dealer says they can't find it either. Going to see if it changes after I get the eibachs put on next week. I will have to bring it up to my supervisors also were we build them. Maybe they can tell their bosses about it and I will show them this thread also. We have alot of quality people in the plant at all times. Maybe they can help.

#20 ·
What exactly does the noise sound like guys? I also have a wierd squeeking that come from the drivers side front end. It doesn't matter what temperature or speed, it'll happen anytime there's a bump in the road. I can hear it more often at lower speeds though.

#21 ·
The best way I can describe the sound in my car is to take a plastic milk jug, put some loose change in it, and drop it on the ground. At first, my car started the noise in cold weather. Once the first repair was made, it was quite for one week. Once our temperatures began to climb in the 70's, the noise reduced....for a week, then right back to the annoying sound.

My car is going on 2 straight weeks of inspection at the dealership and no one has been able to fix it yet. They are really putting in a good effort and I am very appreciative. However, I think this is a design flaw in the suspension that will only get resolved by those who created the problem in the first place. There are just too many complaints of the same problem since the redesign.

#22 ·
Just wanted to give a final update on this issue. After months of inspections by the dealer and most of the front suspension replaced, the issue never was resolved. I have just learned to live with the noisy malibu until I can move into another vehicle.

Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.