Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Chevy Malibu LS - US8 to UUI Radio Swap

15K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  totalitus 
#1 · (Edited)
All,

This is my first post here so hopefully i don't screw this up. 6 months ago I bought a 2010 Chevy Malibu LS. It came standard with the US8 Radio and I really wanted to get the UUI radio for the USB interface.

I bought the UUI radio (Part #: 20940843) brand new from shopgmparts.com. Install went smooth, I removed the dash panel, swapped the radio and it worked flawlessly. To my surprise, the radio worked without displaying the LOCKED message and it did not require programming. However, I did take it to the dealership to get it programmed thinking they would have to register the radio with my VIN for OnStar to work.

Even though it works ok there are a few quirks: the car chimes/beeps are somewhat softer now, especially the turn signal noise. I did try to toggle the chime sounds from NORMAL to LOUD on the radio but it's still not the same as it was when I had the US8 radio. Also certain chimes do not come on anymore such as when turning the automatic lights off and back on. It's not a big deal but I am wondering as to why this is happening.

The most annoying problem I am having is with FM reception. I get static noise and poor reception in the background constantly no matter where I go or what station I tune in to. AM works fine on the other hand. I am not sure if this is a radio-amplifier issue or the fact that I do not have the BOSE premium sound. Or maybe the dealership did not program it correctly?

I am not sure what to do and how to proceed. I am thinking of just swapping back to the US8 and selling the UUI or selling both radios and going aftermarket unless I fix the radio problems at least.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome!

This has been tried a few times on here. Have you noticed the audio volume being quieter too? We figure the root of the problem is that you do not have the amplifier in the trunk. The signal going through your speakers is un-amplified.

I would either go back to stock or go aftermarket!

#3 ·
09LT2, Thanks for your reply.

I did not notice any problems with volume. I guess you are right about the lack of amplifier, FM transmission is weak and occasionally the signal fades in and out. AM transmission however is not affected.

Does this mean the US8 radio has a built in amplifier and the UUI relies on the premium sound package amplifier? I also noticed that the US8 radio was branded AC DELCO but the UUI radio is a Panasonic.

The reason I am somewhat holding back from going aftermarket is because I like to keep things as stock as possible. Also, it seems that there are a lot of additional harnesses and adaptors to be purchased in order to retain the stock chimes and other features.

#4 ·
Yes the UUI relies on external amp. Also, the premium audio systems are bi-amped, meaning there are 4 wires going to each speaker. 2 wires go to the "sub" and the other 2 go to the mid/highs. The basic system uses full range speakers.

#5 ·
I have been doing some digging:

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f5/eliminating-amp-monsoon-system-41344/index5.html

If I understand correctly, it is a matter of programming by using a dummy vin and selecting the option of non amplified sound system. I wonder if this would solve the problem. I would love to call the local dealership and have them at least try but they gave me enough heartache already trying to program the UUI radio the first time.

Any thoughts?

#7 · (Edited)
Interesting... So you would just need to go to the dealer with a LTZ vin number looks like. Then they can pick which options they want to use

Edit: actually, your own vin should work, seeing as you dont have amplified system. They just need to change the option in the radio for non-amplified.

#8 · (Edited)
So, I tend to agree that there is more to it than the head unit.

I think the answer is this:
The UUI radio can output either internally amplified speaker outs

OR

Pre-amp level outputs to the auxiliary amp (premium audio option) in the trunk.

This is consistent, because my 2012 1LT has the UUI radio, but NOT the amp in the trunk. My guess is, you don't want to go to the dealer w/ a VIN for an LTZ, because the LTZ has the premium audio, but your ride does not have this option. What you want is a VIN for a car like mine, with the UUI radio, but not the amp in the trunk. Or, maybe it will just come up for them on their scan tool, since a valid option is indeed the UUI radio w/ out the optional amp, the key I think is maybe they need to tweak the model year so that they have an option to program it that way. I know 2012 is a good year, since I have this setup stock. Then again, I may be wrong too.

As for your fuzzy FM reception, my guess is on a loose antenna connection to the head unit when you replaced it. The amplifier we have been discussing here is the power amp for the speakers, not the incoming FM signal. It is possible there is some distortion or whatever since you are driving speakers w/ a pre-amp level output, so I would definitely get it reprogrammed first, before ripping the dash apart again. If that doesn't fix it, I would check the antenna connection.

#9 ·
Searching around earlier I came across more information.

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2/so-i-put-g6-radio-into-green-dragon-41255/index2.html

It seems from that discussion like the UUI radios may not be built with a pre-amp like the US8 radios are. In that case it would not matter if the radio is programmed for a non-amplified system. Is that logic correct? Anyone else has any input on this?

The other thing I can think of is the fact that the US8 radio was AC DELCO branded and the UUI is a Panasonic. I wonder if the vendor difference also accounts for any technical changes, such as the AC DELCOs having pre amps and the Panasonics not having any?

However from what you are saying michael, If you have the UUI radio and no premium sound package with amp, I may still be able to do it. I will give my local dealership a call later and see if I can have them take a look at it again and re-program my radio. However, I am afraid the answer will be: "Can't be done", as usual. Would you mind if I used your VIN if the technicians decide to try the experiment that you mentioned?

#12 ·
The other thing I can think of is the fact that the US8 radio was AC DELCO branded and the UUI is a Panasonic. I wonder if the vendor difference also accounts for any technical changes, such as the AC DELCOs having pre amps and the Panasonics not having any?

However from what you are saying michael, If you have the UUI radio and no premium sound package with amp, I may still be able to do it. I will give my local dealership a call later and see if I can have them take a look at it again and re-program my radio. However, I am afraid the answer will be: "Can't be done", as usual. Would you mind if I used your VIN if the technicians decide to try the experiment that you mentioned?
So, you need to be careful about definitions.
pre-amp out usually means: Line level outputs ready to be sent to an amplifier
speaker out usually means: a signal already amplified and ready to be sent to a set of speakers.

So, what I have gathered from reading all the links you provided is the US8 radio has speaker outs. The UUI radio appears to be configurable to send either pre-amp out to the aux amp, or speaker out directly to the speakers (again, just from following the links you gave and interpreting them, I don't claim to KNOW).

This means the UUI likely has a lower power power amp inside that can be turned on or off depending on whether or not the aux amp is present. It might also be that the internal AMP goes from powering all the speakers to maybe only the front, and the AUX amp does the rears? Not sure how it is hooked up, just saying it is different than just driving the speakers directly.

As for your question about Panasonic vs. Delco Radios, my guess is they are interchangeable and have the same part number. It is likely Delco and Panasonic both make the US8 and UUI. Manufacturers regularly have more than one supplier for a given part, for risk mitigation and supply continuity (like a Tsunami hits Japan or a Hurricane hits the USA). The radio specs would be sent to each supplier and both would make a part to those specs, so that they are interchangeable.

If you want my VIN, I can give it to you, just PM me.

#10 ·
Good info here...I didn't realize some newer Malibus have the premium radio without amplifier. It seems as though in 2012 they started dumping some premium options into lower models just to get rid of their back stock of the parts, since new model year for 2013.

#13 ·
Not sure if it was because of using up old stock, or adding offerings, like Bluetooth, on some of the more base models. My LT1 had a package called the "Power and Convenience Package" which added power driver's seat, a 120V power outlet in the rear, remote start, and bluetooth. My guess is the bluetooth required the UUI radio to make it work. GM likely offered this in the later years to compete w/ options in other sedans from other manufacturers.

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah there is a lot of good info on this thread. I wish I knew this much before doing the radio swap.

Than you all for your suggestions. A week after the install I pulled the dash out and checked the antenna connection again. I do remember that when I removed the antenna connector off the US8 radio I struggled as it was locked in pretty tight. So,it may be that the connector loosened up and it's not contacting properly. Then again, I have no problems with AM stations which leads me to think the radio could be faulty. I am doubting that it is a programming/amp issue since I have no problems with volume.

I guess I could try removing the dash one more time and reconnecting the original US8 radio to check the FM reception. I was really nervous having to remove the dash trim twice without breaking anything so I would rather not do it again If I don't have to.

#14 ·
Yah I can see it both ways, although they did have bluetooth without the UUI in early models. For 2012 they also had chrome door handles on lower models, which used to be LTZ only. The improvements helped the 2012, but the car still lacks quite a bit compared to newer model cars. Like no back up assistance, no lane change assistance, no blinkers in side mirrors, etc. However, the Impala lacks way more. Good thing they are finally redoing it for 2014.

#15 · (Edited)
So I tore my dash apart this afternoon and I did a little experimentation with the US8 and UUI.

In terms of audio both work equally as good. I do not think it is an amp issue and re-programming will probably not fix the issue. On the other hand in terms of FM reception, both radios have the issue now. Like I said, FM is choppy and fades in and out at times, even when signal is decent, there is noise in the background. AM is decent and so is XM. XM was starting to become choppy at one point when wiggling the antenna connector. I think the problem may be the radio antenna connector. With taking it apart so many times I think it may have become loose or there is a grounding issue somewhere.

Having said that, does anyone know if the antenna cable can be replaced? I wonder if the antenna is made up of multiple runs or just a long single run of cable. I called up the dealership and asked them to troubleshoot the issue. I have an appointment for saturday but I am reluctant to have the technicians savage my dash trim and possibly damage something else in the process.

I wonder if i should just give up at this point and live with the fact that at least I have XM, USB and CD working.

#16 · (Edited)
The cable is one piece from the radio to the antenna module (above the rear window on passenger side). Headliner must be dropped for access. Maybe you'll get something from this:

Radio Poor Reception
Diagnostic Instructions
• Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure.

• Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach.

• Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category.

Circuit/System Description
AM and FM radio reception is dependent on the following components:

• Radio antenna - part of the rear window

• Coax cable between the radio antenna and the radio antenna module

• Radio antenna module

• Coax cable between the radio antenna module and the radio

• Radio

Diagnostic Aids
Note: Radio systems with the antenna(s) in the glass are subject to possible interference when an aftermarket window tint is applied.

Poor AM and FM radio reception is dependent on multiple influences, some of which may not be vehicle related. Areas which have high RF traffic or block the signal path may cause a degradation in radio reception. Radio reception may also be influenced by items within the vehicle, but not part of the radio system. Such examples are aftermarket electrical accessories or other items which may generated noise in the vehicle electrical system.

Reference Information
Schematic Reference
Radio/Navigation System Schematics

Connector End View Reference
Component Connector End Views

Description and Operation
Radio/Audio System Description and Operation

Electrical Information Reference

• Circuit Testing

• Connector Repairs

• Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections

• Wiring Repairs

Scan Tool Reference
Control Module References for scan tool information

Circuit/System Verification
Inspect the antenna for physical damage.
⇒ If damage is found, repair or replace as necessary

Radio ON, tune to several known FM, AM, and XM (if equipped) stations, and play a known good CD.
⇒ If audio output is poor from all sources, refer to Speaker Malfunction.

Circuit/System Testing
Note: For steps 5-8, perform the tests on each of the disconnected coax cables.

Rear Glass Antenna Testing
Inspect the radio antenna module grounding surfaces and the mounting hardware for any corrosion that may cause a poor ground.
⇒ If corrosion is noted, clean the grounding surfaces or hardware.

Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the radio antenna module.
Radio ON, test for B+ between the signal circuit terminal 1 and ground.
⇒ If less than the specified value, test the signal circuit for a short to ground or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the radio.

Disconnect both coax cables from the radio and the radio antenna module.
Test for infinite resistance between the antenna coax center terminal and ground.
⇒ If less than the specified value, replace the antenna coax.

Test for less than 5 ohms on the antenna coax center terminal from end to end.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, replace the antenna coax.

Test for less than 5 ohms on the antenna coax outer shield from end to end.
⇒ If greater than the specified range, replace the antenna coax.

Test for infinite resistance between the coax center terminal and the outer shield.
⇒ If less than the specified value, replace the antenna coax.

Radio ON, verify the radio reception has improved.
⇒ If there is still poor reception, replace the antenna module.

If all circuits test normal, replace the radio.
Repair Instructions
Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure.

• Radio Antenna Module Replacement

• Rear Window Replacement

• Control Module References for Radio replacement, setup, and programming
© 2012 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

#17 ·
Thanks for the input greenman.

One thing I did notice last night when swapping radios is that on the back of the UUI radio, near the coax connector there is a label saying 75 OHM. As far as I know, the coax cable characteristic impedance and the radio input impedance have to match otherwise there is going to be a signal mismatch and poor reception. This may be why I get light static in the background and fading in and out.

I wondering if anybody knows what the impedance of the 2010 malibu coax cable is. It may be that it is a 50 OHM coax cable and the US8 radio also had a 50 OHM input impedance. I also noticed that when i disconnect the little connector off the back glass antenna, there is not as much static anymore which is kind of confusing.

#18 ·
I would suspect there is no difference in the FM antenna design based on which radio is installed. 75ohm antennae are common for FM, so I suspect both radios are designed for that. Remember the old twin flat antenna wire for TV, it was 75ohm too (again, FM).

I am wondering if during your struggle removing the antenna connector from the radio on the initial swap, if you damaged the coax (crimped it) or the connector or the connection between the coax and the connector (like pulled on the wire and not on the connector?).

Another thing to consider, are you always testing this in the same place (ie, in your driveway or garage?) Perhaps drive the vehicle to a different spot, orient it in a different direction, etc. Maybe you just have a weak FM radio signal where you are?

#19 ·
Hey Totalitus, sorry to hear that you're having issues making the swap go smooth. I too attempted this swap and initially I did not require programming until almost two weeks later I got the "Locked" message on the UUI radio. Although my volume was pretty close to the US8 radio I noticed a significant decrease in sound quality. This was probably due to the lack of a subwoofer since the rear was producing mostly mids and highs and was lacking bass. In the end I ended up replacing the US8 and will later add an aftermarket to have the USB option and still have a decent sound without adding amps and subs. I really wanted to keep it as OEM as possible but I think in this case I'd rather have the USB option.

Good luck with the install and hope eventually you're able to get it working properly. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Oh and about the antenna- I do remember the connector being difficult to remove, I had to use pliers to carefully remove it so it could be yours was damaged during the process? Let's hope not.

#20 ·
I went to the dealership today and as expected they came up with the following potential causes for the noisy FM reception problem:

1) Connection may be loose (The technician mentioned that he does not think it's a grounding issue or bad coax plug as that would cause the noise on the line to amplify with acceleration, which is not happening to me.)

2) Lack of external amplifier in trunk (Although we have already discussed this here and it would not apply to the reception problem)

3) UUI radio may have a bad or not as good FM tuner as the US8/US9

He also mentioned people have come up to him with FM problems on 08-12 models so he didn't look surprised at all. He also pointed out that unless I really really really care about FM transmission and if I want to spend a lot of money on labor and parts they can look into it further and start replacing things. I decided to not worry about it and not put anymore money in this car as I am planning to sell it off in 2 years time.

I live in a pretty small town and that may also be the reason for the whacky FM problems. I did take a drive on the expressway afterwards and I tuned into one particular station where I wasn't experiencing any noise. Otherwise, when songs are playing on the radio it's not very noticeable, it only really happens when there are ads or people are talking (news stations).XM/AM/USB/CD all work perfectly so I am going to leave it at that.

Thank you all for your help in troubleshooting this issue. I appreciate all your feedback. I hope this will be a good resource for al those that are looking at doing a radio swap like I did. I wish I had known this much at the start.

#21 ·
Did your dealer seem willing to try and program the UUI radio for you or did you not ask?

#22 ·
They ruled out programming straight away. I did not insist as they had the "i got other better things to do" attitude. To discourage me from making them do things they told me they would be willing remove the radio and swap it into another car to test for a "low" fee of $100/hr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.