Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crutchfield Advisor and New Speakers

6K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  WrenchGuy 
#1 ·
Considering upgrading my speakers in my 2010. I really don't want to mess with the head unit since I like XM, Bluetooth, wheel controls, etc. But, I really like my music and would like a decent set of speakers.

I called Crutchfield and the advisor told me that the rear speakers would not get the full sound spectrum unless the head unit is replaced. Evidently the speakers are driven by two separate amps? One for highs another for lows?

Also he said I could replace the front panel speakers with full range speakers (built in tweeter) and cut the wires to the factory tweeter so as to not get too much of the high end?

Please share your thoughts and thanks for the info.

#2 ·
What exactly are you looking to get out of this upgrade?

I'd say just throw a set of 6.5" Components in the doors and hook them up to the factory HU to power them. Then down the road maybe throw in a small 4 channel amp if you ever get a aftermarket HU.

Let me know if you need anything audio related and I can help you out boss

#3 ·
#4 ·
I have heard good things about SKAR on other forums.

But like 22s says.. just hook a component set up to your factory wiring, if you don't like the tweeter in the pillars running at the same time, just unhook it, or install your new tweeters in that location(removing the old ones), but IMO that isn't the best placement for tweeters, AND it will require some modifications if it's anything like other GMs with the tweeters in the pillars.

#5 · (Edited)
I used Pioneer Premier Components in my front. 6*9 4 way in the rear deck. I was able to replace my factory tweeters with the Pioneers. And added a 2800 Hz crossover in the leads. Or you could get Components. Keep the factory tweeters. Crossovers are built in. Just change the Midwoofers.

#6 ·
Thank you for your replies. I am leaning toward the components in the front. The Crutchfield dude said the HU isn't powerful enough to drive components. Doesn't make sense to me.

I still have questions about the rear speakers. I understand those are driven by 2 separate amps and that a simple swap would not allow a full spectrum of sound?

#7 ·
I bought my speakers from Crutchfield. If you call there again ask for Sam. Ext 3270. I have dealt with him for over 10 years. He is only there on weekends.Tell him Chris P sent you.

It really depends on which Components you use. Most require an external amplifier to get volume.

#8 ·
The comp set I recommended for you can be ran off the stock HU just fine. They are pretty damn efficient so they don't take much power to get them audibly louder than the stock POS speakers lol.

Let me know man

Also have some 6x9 3 ways that come out within the next month!

#11 ·
Here is how my system ended up.

The best improvement is a Bazooka sub. I put one in a 2004 Silverado many years ago, so this is my second one. It is great now that you don't have to run power from the battery. This alone will make a huge difference in performance.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_204BTA850F/Bazooka-BTA850FH.html?tp=114

I replaced the fronts with these Polk speakers. I left the OEM tweeter in the upper portion.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI650S/Polk-Audio-DXi-650s.html?tp=95

A major improvement, but the rears still sounded crappy.

I was underwhelmed by these Sony speakers I installed in the rear.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158GTR1720/Sony-XS-GTR1720.html?tp=94

I finally settled for these for the rear. A huge improvement over the Sony's. By the way, they are on sale (ends today). Very good price.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI690/Polk-Audio-DXi690.html?tp=91

The rear speakers by themselves seem to lack the high end-this is what the advisors @ Crutchfield mean by not getting the full spectrum of sound without a new head unit and bypassing an existing amp. I love the head unit's functionality and it has plenty of power to produce good sound. It would be a real pain to replace it-adapters, cables, etc.

I spend a ton of money on my home system, so I am pretty particular about about sound quality. I am very happy with this setup for my car. I am over 50 and will occasionally crank it up, but having huge amounts of volume and bass is for teenagers.

Hope this helps. I am leaving the country for 10 days, so I won't be able to give you immediate feedback on other questions. I can help you when I get back.

#12 ·
For the rear speakers I replaced them with full range speakers. On the Bose system, they are bi amped so there are separate wires for highs and lows since it's basically 2 speakers combined into one housing. Basically I have the signal for the highs going to the full range speakers in the rear deck and since the factory amp also sends a good amount of mid range to these they sound pretty good. I added a LOC to the signal for the lows which is going to a JBL powered sub that I added in the trunk. It sounds pretty good since it seems like the amp is sending practically nothing but bass to through the signal for the lows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.