Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turn signal clicking/ticking going F'in Crazy!

43K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  malablue 
#1 ·
I did a quick search here and on google, but didn't find exactly what i was looking for... most people did not have the same problem and pointed to a replacement of the hazard switch per a TSB.

I don't think this is the same issue... i am going crazy... when i use the turn signal (on the combination switch) or right after i use the turn signal, there is constant ticking that sounds twice as fast as if you were using the turn signal, but the turn signal indicator/dash light does not flash--i can hear the relay clicking like crazy. Sometimes it will stop, other times, it can go off like this for over 5 minutes.

Is this a combination switch failure or a relay failure, or both, and what do i replace?

#2 ·
Usually, this is a hazard flasher issue and cycling the hazard button a dozen times or so, sometimes helps. Sometimes if you very slowly press the hazard button in the noise will go away and stay away when you release the switch. If this doesn't do anything, try cycling the turn siganl switch from left to right turn and back to left. Do this a dozen times or so and see what that does. If that doesn't change anything, very slowly move the turn signal lever towards the left, then the right turn position. When you distrurb the noise, you've found your source most likely. Either way, when you find the problem, just replace the switch. Neither is that expensive nor that hard to put in.

#3 ·
I usually try to "distrub" the switch while it happens when i'm driving... but i think i look like a crazy driver, since the flasher go from one side to the other :)

Are you saying i can isolate whether it's the hazard switch or the combination switch by diagnosing like you state above?

#4 ·
Depending on how advanced the issue is within the affected switch, it may not work, this is what is being done by the procedure I gave you though. Usually, the hazard switches would fail and the turn signals didn't work at all, I diagnosed every one of them that way. Saves a lot of time tearing stuff apart. If you come down to the hazard switch by chance, it is under special policy for 10 years/150,000 miles from the original in service date. You're probably out of that by now. I can check it for you if you send me the VIN, all 17 digits, or the last 8. PM me if you want me to do it. There was also a recall for those hazard switches fo 2000 and 2001 Malibu, Alero and Grand Am. I would tend to believe it's the turn signal switch. There are a few threads where you'll find people that clean them and claim they work good afterwards. I never tried it, the switch isn't expensive as you can see here [ame]http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D6220C-Switch-Assembly/dp/B000C9P496[/ame] or at Rockauto.com. Rockauto has aftermarket switches that are really cheap, depends on your budget. For 85 bucks, I'd pop a Delco one in but that's me.

#5 ·
Depending on how advanced the issue is within the affected switch, it may not work, this is what is being done by the procedure I gave you though. Usually, the hazard switches would fail and the turn signals didn't work at all, I diagnosed every one of them that way. Saves a lot of time tearing stuff apart. If you come down to the hazard switch by chance, it is under special policy for 10 years/150,000 miles from the original in service date. You're probably out of that by now. I can check it for you if you send me the VIN, all 17 digits, or the last 8. PM me if you want me to do it. There was also a recall for those hazard switches fo 2000 and 2001 Malibu, Alero and Grand Am. I would tend to believe it's the turn signal switch. There are a few threads where you'll find people that clean them and claim they work good afterwards. I never tried it, the switch isn't expensive as you can see here http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D6220C-Switch-Assembly/dp/B000C9P496 or at Rockauto.com. Rockauto has aftermarket switches that are really cheap, depends on your budget. For 85 bucks, I'd pop a Delco one in but that's me.
Thanks! I did see the Delco one on amazon for $84 w/ amazon prime. There is a review (1st one) that states he had the same problem as i described and replaced this combo switch (after replacing the hazard didn't fix the problem) and the problem had gone away.

Thanks for the information and the path forward... i'll definitely order this.

#7 ·
I'd bet a case of brew's it's the multifunction switch. My Grand Am drove me crazy until I disassembled and cleaned it. If you search "grand am owners club" and then "turn signal clicker clicking solution", you can read my writeup on how I did it. My guess is the steps would be almost identical for the Gen 5 'bu's

#9 ·
ok ok ok guys THE ISSUE IS SIMPLE TO FIX for less then the price of a big mac

you need to remove the chicken wing turn signal indicator on the LEFT of the steering wheel

once you remove the lever and its attached bunch of plastic and such you need to take it apart
to gain access to the copper tabs inside whats happened is bits of copper has been shaved off over use and has gotten mixed in with the dielectric grease and thats what makes the tick to make a man go home and shake a baby (please don't shake babies) so when you have accessed the copper tabs clean them =) and re apply dielectric grease re assemble and bam no more tick to make the eye twitch you can do this or order a new unit at like 200$ cheers you owe me a bigmac

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.