Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Condensation in Headlamps

7K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  greenman 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys I just want some input here about my headlamp issue. I have found many of our lights seem to have this issue being they aren't sealed. I have quite a bit of condensation in both my lights and it drives me nuts. It seems like in the last couple weeks it has gotten worse and I asked the dealer to replace both lamps while its still under warranty. They were very hesitant about it basically said they would make a decision when I go in for my service appointment tomorrow. I dropped the issue at that point but have to go back in tomorrow for an unrelated issue and I want them to replace them both. I view it as a safety issue and they never clear up. I had to use my high beams last night down a dark road and I swear they were terrible until some of the condensation vaporized. Based upon the picture do you think I have a legitimate claim? Its not just some small condensation, they are holding water pretty well.

See less See more
#4 ·
I had that issue on my '11 on the left side. As soon as I told him, my former service writer told me they would not replace them. I said that they've been that way for 2 months and won't clear up. When I picked up the car they had replaced it.

I still went to a different writer in the same shop after that.

But the point is that GM is working hard to not replace any of the units, saying instead to tell the customer to just defog them through normal use. I can take a little fog on 'em, but the image above looks about like mine did and I wasn't gonna take No for an answer. Thankfully it didn't need any escalation.

#5 ·
That looks as bad as my old 97 Cougar headlights. You would think they would know how to make headlights that don't do that by now. I hope our Malibu doesn't start that crap.

#9 ·
Well went in today and they did not replace my headlamps because the car is just out of the 3/36. When I bought the car the dealer offered a 90day/3000 mile full warranty against any mechanical issues or issues of safety. I argued over and over that it was a safety issue and if they were going to replace a door speaker for me...why not headlamps? Headlamps are a much bigger issue than a door speaker...oh wait I forgot they cost an arm and a leg a piece plus the install meaning the dealer didn't want anything to do with it if GM wasn't paying. They claimed the headlights are a maintenance item and therefore weren't covered. I mean I know the headlights themselves are a maintenance item but they were giving me the run around saying the lamps were as well. All in all im pretty dissapointed and because of this and other fights I have had with that dealer I will try and get ahold of the dealer owner himself and voice my complaints. If that doesn't work I already have my eyes on ebay lol.

#11 · (Edited)
They claimed the headlights are a maintenance item and therefore weren't covered. I mean I know the headlights themselves are a maintenance item but they were giving me the run around saying the lamps were as well.
Headlamp housings are a maintenance item???? That's a stretch.

I get condensation in my tails as well as the heads. But I live in a pretty damp climate.

#12 ·
Its not even a stretch its just a downright runaround. I called another affiliate dealer today and they put in a message for the regional manager to get back to me about the issue, and I will get through to him. Its rediculous that they offer a warranty on any used vehicle covering and I quote "Any mechanical parts or safety related parts/issues." I expect them to honor that whether it puts a big dent in their profit or not thats not my problem. Another argument I have is the fact that they replaced a door speaker for me free or charge under their "warranty" which does not qualify as a mechanical or safety issue so theres no legit reason to not cover defective headlamps. We shall see.

#14 · (Edited)
Malibu25- I assume yours was probably covered under the bumper to bumper which is why they replaced yours no problem because GM was the one paying for it. In my case mine is out of the 3/36 and just under a dealer warranty therefore they don't get reimbursed by GM and its all on them. Basically what it all comes down to is the dealer knows if they replace the lamps it is going to cut deep into their profit on that car which is not my problem and is the reason I am getting the run around. If they don't want to take responsibility then they shouldn't offer the warranty in the first place. Funny thing was when I bought the car the lights were dry as a bone and over the last couple of weeks have gotten worse. I had to use my brights the other night on a dark road and I swear it took 10 minutes for the heat to get rid of the water in the lense before they actually put out their maximum light output, and that was just in the path of the light beam. Doesn't matter how long I leave the lights on, it never gets rid of all the moisture.

#15 ·
Gerry G - At any point that you have owned (assuming you bought it new) did you ever have the headlight housing removed ( I.E. Modifications, Changing bulbs, Dealer doing other work?) Those headlights are a pain to get back into position and I have a bit of condensation on my 2012 Malibu. With that said, I also keep my car in the garage at home and it is outside 99% of the time less that 10 hours a day. The weather striping on your 09's headlight assembly may be worn or torn somewhere causing such an access build up. Does it ever clear up after driving it or warming the car up for an extended period of time

#16 ·
Actually I have only owned the car for about 6 weeks and in that time I haven't done a thing to the headlamps. Good news is that I got them replaced a couple of days ago since I called the higher ups of the dealership. I don't know what was wrong with them but even after driving with the lights on for an extended period of time, they never fully cleared up. There was just too much condensation in there for them to clear. Il tell you what though, after having my new lamps for a few days I will go as far to say that my light output has doubled. It was like night and day and I am so glad they replaced them because I didn't realize just how bad the last set were. I had to fight them over it but they gave in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.