Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

09 Front Hub/Bearing Replacement

37K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  MonkeyRench 
#1 ·
So my 09 is out of warranty and my front drivers side wheel bearing is making a pretty bad sound. I picked up a new timken bearing, but does anyone have access to a repair manual or GM's instructions for replacement?

I know the gist of it (replaced one on my previous car) but torque specs etc. would be nice.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Depending on your mileage the powertrain warranty covers the wheel bearings, not bumper-to-bumper. If you are out of powertrain then I can get the instructions on how to replace it.

#4 ·
dumb question, I'm looking to replace my pads and rotors all around. Is the hub/bearings part of the rotor assembly (as in, I will have to replace them too) or can someone fill me in on how that works?

#6 ·
No question is a dumb question if you learn something from it. The rotors are separate from the hub assembly. It is really easy to do brakes on the malibu. Don't forget to pump the brakes afterwards, I have seen some bad things happen when people forget to do that.

#5 ·
The rotors are separate from the hubs/wheel bearings. To be sure, though, contact your auto parts dealer. You may also want to check around online. You might be able to score some slotted and/or drilled rotors for about the same price as stock flat irons. The slotting/drilling allows the gases created during stopping to vent more efficiently, and help with cooling.

#9 ·
If you can drive the car, go to AutoZone. They'll loan you a tool for free. All you have to do is "buy" it with your credit card and then return it for a full refund. They don't do it on new tools, only on their loaner sets. I also borrowed a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Did a friend's 2001 Impala hub/bearing and that made it a cinch!

#10 ·
Darkvette, to get the rotor off, and only the rotor, you don't need to take the spindle nut off. I know on some cars where the hub and bearings are part of the assembly you have to, but in this situation just remove the wheel, remove the caliper (make sure you hang it from the suspension with thick wire), remove the caliper mount bracket, and then you should be able to get the rotor off. Basically the rotor is held on by the wheel which is held on by the lug nuts.

Don't forget to use some brake cleaner for the new rotors to get any machining grease off, and make sure you get the hub clean and free of rust before you put the new rotor on.

#12 ·

#13 ·
does anyone have the torque specs...I watched the above referenced video but idk if I heard right for the hub bolts and the axel nut...I think they said 65 ft lbs for the hub bolts but I couldn't hear the axel nut spec...it sounds like he says 59 ft lbs...but that seems way wrong...I listened to it over and over might they be saying 159 ft lbs?...if I wasent in such a hurry and it wasent so cold I would have done a how to

#14 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.