Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Vibration vote.

• I have a V6 with the A6 and it DOES NOT vibrate.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I have a V6 with the A6 and it DOES vibrate.

Votes: 68 24.5%
  • I have a V6 with the A6 and it DID vibrate, but is basically fixed.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I have a I4 with the A6 and it DOES NOT vibrate.

Votes: 47 16.9%
  • I have a I4 with the A6 and it DOES vibrate.

Votes: 50 18.0%
  • I have a I4 with the A6 and it DID vibrate, but is basically fixed.

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • I have a I4 with the A4 and it DOES NOT vibrate.

Votes: 32 11.5%
  • I have a I4 with the A4 and it DOES vibrate.

Votes: 30 10.8%
  • I have a I4 with the A4 and it DID vibrate, but is basically fixed.

Votes: 4 1.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vibration around 50 mph? Updated poll inside.

210K views 385 replies 94 participants last post by  AvivQ 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of us have talked about, this is the new vibration thread.

If any of you want to reference the old thread, it can be found here. http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663

A quick overview without rehashing the old one is this:

Some owners can feel a very slight, to very noticeable vibration around 40-60 mph. Usually comes from the front of the car and can be felt all over usually. Some days it might be worse then others, and we are not talking about a tire issue.

There are reflashes that can be done at the dealer that may or may not help, some have had the tires replaced, some have had nothing work at all.

So lets try to get a new, more updated thread going to help members who just haven't read though the huge old one and don't know any of the new information.

Please vote, and post!

#2 · (Edited)
So far (holding my breath) no vibes. 13K miles at this time.

#7 ·
Initialy I just though it was our crappy roads out here in TX... Now I have noticed more ot the vibration. Guess I will make an appointment to have it looked at this week. May have them look into the Bass buzz in the back dash as well.

#8 ·
I have a 09 I4 LT with the 6spd Auto and it did vibrate a lot when new. About 2k miles ago the dealer did the reflash with the update for the tranny issues that most of us notice. Car now has a little over 14k miles on it and I must say it's almost gone. The reflash helped a lot mainly with the tranny slam that some describe during different throttle points and shifts.

My brother who has been a GM tech for 10 years at my local dealer said the tranny shifting/slamming that happens sometimes is just part of the design. Something to do with the TCC. I think another person sited this in the old thread. He said more software updates might help, but for now GM is basically saying it's normal. But as he said, in time they will perfect it. He had a 07 Eclass Benz with a 7spd auto and he said it did pretty much the same thing. So if a freaking Benz does it then lets not feel so bad guys. After all, our cars are way cheaper then a Eclass Benz :)

#9 ·
I have a 2010 Malibu Silver Ice - Beautiful Car! Been to the dealership 6 - yes 6 times - for vibration problem and strange creak/squeal coming from front driver side wheel -1st time 24 days after purchase - dealer said ice build up - makes sense as it was that time of the year (michigan)- 2nd time said vibration still there (ice not an issue as the weather had warmed up enough) - said we high speed balanced your wheel/tires - can't find a problem - 3rd time I said vibration still there test drove with service adviser - he said yep, vibration exists you are not crazy - dealer said radial run out passenger rear wheel - we replaced it. 4th time = i say vibration still there - dealer says - OMG you have radial run out on your rear driver side AND flat spots on your tires ... replaced wheel and two back tires. 5th time, I say vibration still there - take service adviser on test drive for a second time - he says - and I quote from the service form.... sounds like a hub/bearing issue... kept it for one day.. called me and said we can't find anything but we contacted GM and they said steel wheels have been causing a problem so, they ordered aluminum wheels for my car... now, whether this solves the problem or not I have no idea but I have sneaking suspicion that it won't ... i'm telling ya, its that one front drivers side wheel... just a feeling ... feel like they just want me to go away... im a thorn in their side......

#10 ·
Keep on bein' a thorn, then! You have a right to expect satisfaction, since they guarantee it in writing. Plus there's probably something in some law somewhere (lotta "some's", huh?) that implies merchantibility.

Once you're done bein' a thorn you'll end up with a rose!

#14 · (Edited)
Was at the dealer yesterday to pick up some touch up paint. I had then run my VIN to see if there are any further re-flashes/updates for the transmission, nothing yet and I had it done about 9 months ago last time. The one tech agrees that GM programmed the A6 way wrong. Too worried about an extra mpg or two killing the driveabilty and not downshifing as easy as it should and upshifting at to low of an rpm which can cause vibrations. While the other tech says it is "just fine" LOL. My car is alot better then it was when it was new since they did the re-flash months back, but I would like it 100% gone.

#15 · (Edited)
I purchased a 2010 Malibu LTZ 6 cylinder 3 months ago and it seemed to test drive well but then it started vibrating between 50 and 70 mph so I took it back in and they said it had faulty tires, they replaced 3. I took it back in again and they said it needed a balance. I took it in again and they replaced the wheels, this time they said it needed better tires than the goodyears and said they'd order michelins, after jerking me around for 1 month, they now say they want to "Try some other things" and have not ordered the michelins. I now have 6500 miles on the car and feel very upset over their treatment of me and am ready to start looking for a lemon lawyer or some way to take a course of action as I have spent sooooo many hours waiting at the dealership and driving to and fro. The guy at chevy said he has other people with the same problem.

Anyway, I searched this issue wondering if I was alone in this but am thankful for all of your input...I'll do a lot more reading before I take the car back to Chevy tomorrow.

Steve

#16 ·
HI, I purchased a 2010 Malibu LTZ 6 cylinder 3 months ago and it seemed to test drive well but then it started vibrating between 50 and 70 mph so I took it back in and they said it had faulty tires, they replaced 3. I took it back in again and they said it needed a balance. I took it in again and they replaced the wheels, this time they said it needed better tires than the goodyears and said they'd order michelins, after jerking me around for 1 month, they now say they want to "Try some other things" and have not ordered the michelins. I now have 6500 miles on the car and feel very upset over their treatment of me and am ready to start looking for a lemon lawyer or some way to take a course of action as I have spent sooooo many hours waiting at the dealership and driving to and fro. The guy at chevy said he has other people with the same problem.

Anyway, I searched this issue wondering if I was alone in this but am thankful for all of your input...I'll do a lot more reading before I take the car back to Chevy tomorrow.

Steve
Steve, it is NOT wheels or tires related. My car has done this (was worse, now it is better, but still there) with the old 18's and with my new 20's. It is something in the car itself. Many of us think it is transmission related but the re-flashes really do not help much. Let us know what you dealer says and if they fix it what it was. Like I said, mine is better then it was, and it has its good and bad days. But I would love to have it totally resolved. As you can see, you are not alone. It seems to be VERY common in Malibus, G6s, Auras, all the Epsilons. It is the only aspect of the car that I dislike.

#17 ·
Steve, it is NOT wheels or tires related. My car has done this (was worse, now it is better, but still there) with the old 18's and with my new 20's. It is something in the car itself. Many of us think it is transmission related but the re-flashes really do not help much. Let us know what you dealer says and if they fix it what it was. Like I said, mine is better then it was, and it has its good and bad days. But I would love to have it totally resolved. As you can see, you are not alone. It seems to be VERY common in Malibus, G6s, Auras, all the Epsilons. It is the only aspect of the car that I dislike.
Thanks for the response! Do you know if anyone has had any success with having the car returned under lemon laws? Do you know of anyone taking any legal action? I just can't see myself putting up with this for 3 years and experiencing serious disappointment every time I drive it. I'm going to try a few more times at the dealer but in NC, lemon laws say if you take the car back 4 times or more for the same problem and its not fixed, you're eligible for either a new car or a refund...just curious if you know of anyone who has done that. Thanks, Steve

#18 ·
I don't know anyone who has lemon lawed the car for this issue. I am not sure if they would consider this "a serious" issue to warrant that anyway.

When I am due for my next oil change I am gonna have my new dealer take a shot. The old one just did the reflash, which really didn't do all that much. I haven't had the new dealer do anything because I know they will blame my aftermarket 20" wheels and tires, which is not the cause. But I am gonna bring it up and have them take a look. I am sure that will be one of the days when it doesn't really do it though....

#19 ·
I guess I'll have to try driving at 50 and check this out for myself. I can't say I've ever experienced this. Of course literally all but 2 miles of my commute are at speeds above 70MPH. Those other 2 miles are below 40MPH (neighborhood, business park). I never actually go 50 or 60 for an extended period of time.

#21 ·
When my car does it, it starts around 50 and can go to about 70. My commute is mostly at 80-82 (I95 Florida) which is fine, or around 35-45 which is fine too. But I have a 4-5 mile part that is 55-65 that is where it will do it if it does it.

I had a Malibu loaner last time my car was in for service and it did it from like 35-85, and it was very noticeable compared to mine.

#20 ·
Had my tires rebalanced and rotated. Seems to have helped. I mentioned the reflash but they did not note on invoice that it had been done. I wonder if they reflashed it and didn't note it in the paperwork.

#24 ·
It wasn't horrible or something I couldn't live with but at the end of the day, it is going to vibrate things loose that eventually, I will be responsible for fixing and paying for - which is totally unacceptable... it is primarily at between 50 and 70 now... sometimes it feels worse than other times... but for sure not right... I will keep you all posted on what happens next...

#25 ·
Thanks guys. I am certain the Chevy dealer here has no clue what it is, they are just doing a machine gun approach, changing wheels, tires, balances etc in an effort to fix it....or wear me down.

For the record, they have paved some new roads here that are real smooth and quiet. I notice it like crazy when I'm on those roads, not so much on a noisy bumpy rd as it gets a little lost with all the other bumps but extremely noticeable on nice roads. Everyone who is in my car complains about it.

CrazyJen, please keep me posted as to how it goes with the lemon law attempt. I am very close to pursuing it myself. Any info you can give me along the way would be helpful :)

Steve

#26 ·
Steve... will do... I'm sure - like all my other dealings with GM - it won't be a quick process... actually, when I filed the BBB complaint a person from there called me to, what I would consider, to scare me into pulling my complaint by saying "you know, you have to appear in front of a panel and state your case in arbitration.."... oh, you silly, silly man... i work for lawyers... well versed in "stating my case"... have you read my paperwork? then I told him... "you know, people say to pick your battles... too bad for you that this is the one I picked"... :) they don't call me Crazy Jen for nothing! LOL I will keep you posted Steve... thanks!

#27 ·
You guys have me worried.

I'm just about to hit 3k and do not have this problem......yet.

I was out driving earlier tonight on freshly paved roads and everything was smooth as silk.

I hope everyone who is having trouble gets the problem resolved. It sounds like GM doesn't even know themselves what the hell is wrong or at least how to fix it.

Go get em Jen, I agree with you 100%. Yeah you might be able to live with it, but why should you? You deserve to get what you've paid for.

#28 ·
Phinnster, I think you'd be in the clear, if you don't have it now, you probably won't.

I took my car in again on Monday, they said, oh, you've got faulty tires, after already replacing wheels and tires. They got 2 new tires on Tuesday, said one of them was faulty, ordered another, 8 hrs in the waiting room this week and now the car is pulling to the right badly and still vibrating. Joy.:mad:

#30 ·
Went through all of that... first one tire, then another tire, then new steel wheels (in the back) and then all four new aluminum wheels, then all four new michilen touring tires... STILL VIBRATES! Such a drag...... i love this car... and driving around town it is great! but i drive expressway to and from work! i get all tense every time I get in the stupid car and know I have to get on the expressway... AND this morning, i get in the car and it dings and my SERVICE AIR BAG light is on. .?? Really?

#31 ·
I posted on the other older poll/thread that was out here and I voted that my car did not vibrate - but now that you have opened a new thread....guess what - now at 26k my car has developed that vibration - it happens between 60 - 75 mph and as others have said - the vibration comes and goes.

I have the 18" Chrometec rims with GoodYear LS2's - right now I am playing with tire pressure to see if that corrects it - but I see as other have posted that its not the tires or rims. I have a set of 16" snows that I will put on in a few months to obtain my own confirmation of this.

I will continue to monitor this issue and thread to see what others do as I am approaching the 36k warranty experation.

I really like my Malibu but it seems that my fears of having to trade in the car right around the 36k milage mark are beginning to come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.