Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help With Finding Top Speed / 2008 ecotec 4 cylinder

15K views 43 replies 13 participants last post by  SBUBandit 
#1 ·
About two years ago, I was driving a friend home when I was pulled over. The Officer said he paced me for several miles doing 125mph. I kindly offered to show him my owner's manual for the specs, but was embarrassed when I couldn't find them! I also made mention of the fact that I had literally just entered the interstate when I was pulled over.

Fast forward: I'm finally going to court over it. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I need to find a way to introduce into evidence the fact that my 'Bu, as sweet as it is, couldn't do 125mph down hill with a tail wind, jet fuel, and rockets strapped on.

Here's my best idea to date - because I live about 600 miles away from the ticket, I figured I could go into the dealership to have them inspect my vehicle and confirm that the speed limiter is still in place. Some how, get something in writing from my local dealership as to this fact. Then, have another mechanic in the town the ticket is in testify as to the results and the meanings.

Here's where my hiccup is - I can't find the actual top speed of my 'Bu! And, I'm not 100% sure what the best way to determine what it could be is; like with using a dyno. I've seen varying numbers, from 104, to 110, to 115.

Its a 2008 Malibu LT2 4 Cylinder 2.4L Ecotec. The ONLY modified thing I have done engine related is replace the oil with synthetic and put on a K&N filter.

I'm sure there's a few people out there that have gotten that unfounded speeding ticket. And, I know we have the pro's out there that can help me figure out the best way to show my top speed in court; whether its just a technical service manual or what.

Btw, no radar.:eek:

See less See more
#2 ·
Fuel cut off kicks in at 113mph i have gotten mine up to 125 but it took a couple of miles going slighty down hill. I was only able to do it once. But i have hit 113mph a few times where the fuel is shut off. I also had a drop in knn filter and using mobil1 with a acdelco filter

#7 ·
thank you for the response davey :)

#3 ·
My '09 3.6 V6 was able to get to 115 mph on flat highway. It was still accelerating when the speed limiter prevented further speed increase.

My '11 3.6 V6 has gotten to 116 mph while accelerating on a downhill. It was still accelerating at the time as well.

Check the speed rating on your tires. It should equate to 120 mph, and if they're still stock then the limiter has been set to cut out before it reaches that limit. Laws and sue-ers being what they are, if you were able to exceed the max speed of the tires for an extended period of time and then the tires failed, GM could possibly be involved in a lawsuit. This way their butts are covered, as is yours, since you're not likely going to suffer an accident due to tire failure from excessive speed.

The officer's speedometer was or is obviously maladjusted, and if your story is accurate (I have no reason to believe otherwise), then his vision may also need checked as well as his targeting ability. (Did he incorrectly target you after discerning another vehicle exceeding the speed limit?)

Come back and let us know the outcome.

#8 ·
re visual target acquisition; i believe he did mistake my car for an impala that went flying past me.

#4 · (Edited)
Even with a large error, you were still speeding :) you will probably get it somewhat reduced, but not waived.
2 years to fight for a ticket? as far as i know, in Canada, if you don't get a trial in 11 months, it's out. (as a Canadian citizen, you have the right to a fair and fast trial).
In some states, Ohio for example, the officer's approximation is valid in court, with no device. Paced you say, it's valid and it will stand. Even if he cant produce documentation over when the last speedo calibration occurred, the margin is too wide for a simple error. You were doing basically double the speed limit.

#9 ·
welp, here in the USA, there actually are ways to challenge a visual or sight radar certification dependent on the State. but no, i actually wasn't speeding. i got on the interstate, and then two seconds later there was a deputy flying behind me with his lights and sirens. and while yes, i agree that it would seemingly be too large of a margin to overcome through sheer logic, my defense relies on being able to show that he was intentionally misrepresenting the facts in his probable cause affidavit. ergo, i need to be able to show - from chevy or another unimpeachable source - the speed at which a stock 2.4L ecotec 2008 malibu's speed limiter engages.

#6 ·
The 4-cyl is electronically limited to either 112 or 117 mph because of the tires. There's no way you were driving a sustained 125, period.

Keep in mind, this information is only useful in your situation if you're trying to prove that the officer pulled over the wrong individual. If you were, in fact, still speeding at 100-115 mph, you're still screwed (and deserve it).

#10 ·
Agreed. I had stock tires on at the time. There's also the mathematical discrepancy of the time he calls it in to the time he pulls me over. But, that's a whole 'nother story. He claimed I was sustaining a speed of 125mph for 3 miles continuously, with him directly behind me. I don't know if the rest of you have driven the ecotec version, but its not exactly a mach V.

#11 ·
If he was following you for 3 miles at that speed he would have had the lights on and called in your license plate. Hmmm, were you pulled over less than 3 miles from where you got on the freeway?

Some of this sounds fishy but I may not have all the facts, either. Regardless of how it turns out, let us know, ok?

#21 ·
yes, actually i was pulled over at a shorter distance than he claimed. and yes, i will keep y'all updated.

#12 ·
I didnt know the malibus had the speed restricter. My top speed was 119mph This is Me on my way to South Carolina in June. This pic was like 113mph I have the 09 ltz v6.
I was going faster but this is jus when I snapped the pic. I don't know what my cut off is but iknow it's not 119mph or less. I slowed down because I didn't feel safe traveling that damn fast lol.

#22 ·
you sir are a much braver man than i. i don't even go through south carolina bc of the speed traps.

#14 ·
I was looking at the road and using my thumb to snap the pics. But that doesn't mean I should do it. Your right its really stupid! Totally unsafe to me and other drivers on the road. Can't argue with that.

And the little moon came with the update ios6 for iPhone. It's a feature called do not disturb. Turn it on and it makes your phone silent during the times you set it to. Like 9pm-7am I would have it on so I won't get woke up for calls and text messages while I'm sleeping. And another thing it does is when someone calls me I have the option to decline the call with message.

#16 ·
I wish I didn't update it. Apple took away google maps and YouTube!!

#17 ·
Casper, your LTZ V6 is limited to 117. The manufacturer restricts the car to the speed rating of the tires, otherwise there is risk of blowout. You may have seen what appears to be ~119 on the speedo, but at those speeds it's not super accurate. If you'd continued trying to accelerate, it would have cut power.

#18 ·
Aw snaps. Glad I didn't keep trying to speed. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not but why do they make the top speed 150 if they restrict it at a certain speed.

Iknow you said because the tires speed rating but why don't they put a higher speed rating on the car.
Or
What if someone bought tires with a higher speed rating. Will they take the restricted speed off?

#19 ·
Valid question. The same gauge cluster is used in countries with metric speed limits, so the numbers need to be higher. You can change your car to kph instead of mph (and some other settings many owners probably don't know about) by pressing info and reset at the same time on the steering wheel controls.

There are no performance tires that come equipped from the factory so all Malibus are programmed with the limiter. No GM dealer will remove it for you regardless of your tires, as far as I know. You can remove the limiter by paying a tuning shop or purchasing HPTuners interface and doing it yourself with a laptop.

#20 ·
Yes I have stumbled on this before on accident. At first I thought I messed something up but I seen it said kph instead of mph. Then I seem all the other options.

But thanks for the knowledge on this topic!! It was helpful. I find out stuff everyday about this car.!

#25 ·
Thanks, I was wondering how fast the 4 would go.
Haven't had the time/place to test mine yet, I though it would go more than 110, must be limited by ECM for tire speed rating.
BTW I've had 140 on my Mustangs speedo and I'm a old guy.........

#26 ·
I still can't get a straight answer out of Chevy.

#29 ·
thanks DD. You wouldn't by chance know where I could find something official? Called Chevy HQ - the call center said they couldn't find anything.

#30 ·
Not official. But I'm on my 2nd V6 and they both stop at 115.

#35 ·
I'm thinking that the governor kicks on at a certain speed. But, I can't find any specs either way to take to court with me Tuesday.

#33 ·
The speed ratings are for sustained speeds, too, not just little bursts. So for the most safety keeping the car from overrunning the rating on the tire seems prudent.

I wonder if they'll ever have a Z rated tire (only for Camaros?) or R (for racing?) or if any of the other letters are all used up. Enh, not gonna matter on my ride. If I wanna drive that fast I'll save up money, fly to Europe, and rent a fast car for the Autobahn. But even it's starting to get choked with speed limits and congestive traffic I hear. Oh well . . . :(

#34 ·
....I wonder if they'll ever have a Z rated tire (only for Camaros?) or R (for racing?) or if any of the other letters are all used up....
Not only Camaro for Z rated tires. Cadillac V series along with many other brands are factory equipped with Z, or higher, rated rubber.

Take a look at table II-2 on this page (the entire report is worth reading)
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/upgradetire/econ/TireUpgradeII.html

If my memory has not completely failed, the test data accumulated and standards recommended by NHTSA resulted in regulations (law) placed in effect in 2002.

Your tax dollars at work.

#37 ·
Why can't you go to a local Chevy dealer and get documentation by a certified technician that your car has it's speed limiter in place and untampered with, and that 125 mph was not possible?

#38 ·
Why can't you go to a local Chevy dealer and get documentation by a certified technician that your car has it's speed limiter in place and untampered with, and that 125 mph was not possible?
... unless you were going downhill with another car pushing you! No joke! I got to 115 on my '09 on a flat road. My '11 got to 116 because I was accelerating while going downhill and the limiter cut my throttle but inertia bumped me that extra 1 MPH.

#40 ·
That's infuriating! How is it possible that NO ONE could document your speed limiter?! I am completely astonished neither the dealer technicians nor Chevrolet corporate could not help you.

That really sucks, buddy. I'm sorry that happened to you.

#41 ·
GM is not gonna touch anything like that even with a 10 ft pole.
Offical policy is to abide all speed limits and drive safely.
How many sue happy money grubbers are out there NOW and past looking for a free lunch ?
Oh my little Bobby died because your limiter didn't work and he went off the road at 120 mph when he could have been saved at 114 mph and the jury say pay those poor hurting folks........ Not that the fool was over his head & the limit at 80....

#42 ·
I don't understand how there is any way in hell the officer's testimony would hold up without dash cam footage just by saying he saw you doing 125, that's complete BS, he could have been easily mistaken. whereas you have fairly sound knowledge that the top speed can not be more than 115 mph as its limited due to tire capabilities.

#43 ·
I have had both an 09 and my current 2012 and I have never seen it peak past 116. So I agree that 125 is not possible, but it still confuses me on how they would of mistaken your car for a car that was actually speeding that fast. I don't even think Impalas go that fast unless they had a modified cop car version. Guess you will have to be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.