Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HID's - How'd You install yours in 6th Gen Malibu

6K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Spoolpigeon 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, just got my new H11 bulbs(had 9006 for last car) and gonna reuse everything but the relay harness kit since i ordered new to match the H11 factory plug but wanted to see how everyone is doing theres? I forgot that these cars have the cups around the headlights so how are you running your wiring?? This is the first time installing HIDs into a housing with those cups and there isnt alot of room so i wanted to see how you guys are doing it on the 6th gens and make this a helpful thread like the 7th gens have whether you use PnP(Plug and Play) or Retrofit with projector headlights lets see how everyone is installing kits

Alittle about me and my plan
My plan is to splice in a new H11 plug in on the driver side wiring BEFORE the headlight housing and that will power the relay kit for ON/OFF power and run the rest accordingly OUTSIDE of the headlights and then just have the HID bulb wiring going through the cup with a hole drilled and use the grommets you usually get with the HID bulbs so the headlight is still sealed BUT have any of you just taking the low beam cup off and ran your lights like this or are you/or would you get moisture in the housings?

I have done many HID installs(2005 dodge ram, 02 Pontiac Grand Am, 2004 Saturn Vue Redline, and 1998 Saturn SL2) with all but the 98 SL2 needing additional work like the resistors on the dodge due to CAN BUS wiring, Grand am had the SVS(service vehicle soon light) with HIDs due to the wiring harness only using the 1 plug but he didnt care since he had HIDs)

AND YES, i did use the search and even read most of the pages in the 7th gen HID sticky thread which everyone points to for HOW TO info but there wasnt anything on the 6th gens but shoot up some pics or post links and we can start a thread for the 6th gens. THANKS GUYS/GALS

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
would you like to elaborate? U cant come knocking what people do or want to do if you dont give advice on how/why you say what you say....your lack of idea's/help arent going to convince someone w/o reasoning

ANYWAYS, I got the extra H11 plug yesterday while in town so now it just comes down to installing them and the i think i came up with an idea on the plastic plug on the back of the housing but depends on the the core support design and available room

#6 ·
Why so negative? Why not ask nicely? I'm sure the response had a reason behind it. You as much as told him to shut up. And you have only 2 posts at this time. Hmmm, attitude issues?

Oh, BTW, pics help!
Exactly my point...i want pics so i can see how people are doing it. How is what i said being neagtive yet his comment is ok? I was asking for idea's and he just says "Scratch the PNP and retrofit" with no reasoning behind it so i was asking for his help if he has any HELPFUL input rather than just make a useless comment and not helping, isnt that the whole point of these forums is to help and be helped. Im on 10 other forums(various types) and dont have issues and this was just taking out of context kinda like im prolly doing with yours and taking it to far but all i was asking for is help...

Here's the reasoning.
This results in a spray of light that glares, blinds oncoming traffic, and triggers your night vision off - but doesn't really light anything up down the road.

A projector, OTOH, would aim it down the road so that it lights stuff up in front of you, keeps the glare down for oncoming traffic, and actually makes the money you're spending useful.

A second thing is to pick an intelligent color light. I see a lot of folks that stick HID bulbs into a 9006/H11 lamp, and pick "10K" (10000K) bulbs. That puts the light output out of the eye's maximum sensitivity, but still triggers the "Oooh - bright lights! Stop down the iris, boys!" reflex - a bad go no matter what.

There's the reasoning for the projector, and for you to NOT use the bluish HIDs both.

'Course, if it's a show car, doesn't matter - stuff any color you want in there! But if you're DRIVING it, why not make the money spent useful?
RwP
I have the 5k bulbs and as always i readjust the lights to stock specs so they are not aiming high and are pointed down more AND even with doin this the light output it better than stock IMO of course and why i do the 5k bulbs and i live in a small area with lots of back roads with most people driving with 1 headlight so they opt to run with high beams on so that 1 bulb is a bright as lows usually would be and most are use to this to where i never get brighted with my HID's

As for the money aspect the kit is paid for and all i needed was $20 in bulbs and the wiring harness so the money is spent very wiseley as the aftermarket housings are $150+(ones i want are $185) and while i agree the projector headlights would be the correct way od doing this anytime ive every seen anyone doing these aftermarket lights...the light output is terrible(poor), EVEN with HID bulbs

Im just looking for alittle advice on how everyone is working around the cap on the headlights but dont worry, im a pic freak and will be taking them as i go, hoping it warms up some so when the wife goes to the movies i'll be able to do this w/o frozen finners

#10 ·
I have the 5k bulbs and as always i readjust the lights to stock specs so they are not aiming high and are pointed down more AND even with doin this the light output it better than stock IMO of course and why i do the 5k bulbs and i live in a small area with lots of back roads with most people driving with 1 headlight so they opt to run with high beams on so that 1 bulb is a bright as lows usually would be and most are use to this to where i never get brighted with my HID's
No, I don't think you understand what I said.

The focus is wrong, so the light splays out more.

So I'll ask you - how far down the road can you see? Not how much brighter is the near field, but how far down the road can you see?

With properly adjusted (by shadowcasting!) headlamps, I get right at 1 mile with HIRs on my low beams.

By that I mean if I stop at a mile marker on a straight enough stretch of AR-549, I can see the NEXT mile marker. Can't read it, but I can see it ...

And I can read it when it gets close enough that I can actually see the writing on it - a little over 1/2 mile away.

OTOH, non-projector'ed HIDs? Nope, too much light in the near field, I can't see that mile away.

Yes, I've tried it. No, it's not a good idea.

I'm with Mdufficy, scratch the PNP and go projectors.

But eh. It's your car, spend your effort and time doing it your way.

That's the input you asked for, but not what you wanted, I'm sure *grins*

RwP

#8 ·
by no means did i mean to imply what i did was right and not being rude, i was just saying IMO i thought it was rude and not helpful and explained my reasoning BUT i will be the first to apologize and say SORRY for my previous post and hope we can turn this into a helpful thread for people installing HIDS into the 6th gen Bu's whether they retrofit or PnP and show different ways to install kits

#11 ·
its all good man, im working with what i have and can afford at the moment...All this stuff was in my 98 Saturn SL2 and we bought my wife an impala so i took over the malibu and we sold the saturn. I dont really care what i drive as long as it gets be back and forth to work w/o too many noises and my wife gets the nice reliable car. I just like to mod cars and the car has tinted tails and thats about it at the moment but plan to do the HIDs, factory foglights somehow with aftermarket wiring and maybe a stereo but these new cars and the info center on the dash just make things more expensive

btw...what are HIRs?

#12 ·
The best on-the-web source of info on HIRs is at http://hirheadlights.com/ .

Note: They don't replace H11s, so you can't use one, alas. My 2000 used 9005/9006 bulbs, and so does the Grand Marquis headlamps in the Cougar, so I went HIR to keep the beam better focused on both cars.

RwP

#14 · (Edited)
ok, got time tonight so went to the Pops garage since its heated and mine is full of crap so here it is. Went alot easier then i was planning for...had apart and all back together after about 2hrs with mainly trying to figure out the headlight cup and there just wasnt enough room once the cap goes on to drill a hole and use the grommet so i notched the bottom of the headlight just enough to get the 2 wires through so here they are. Gotta adjust them a bit to my liking but here ya go...

Wiring harness on driver side i taped into for the signal wires of the relay harness and added a H11 plug so there isnt any cutting of factory wiring

Here is the H11 plug i added for the relay harness

Relay mounted(temporaily til i find bracket or another relay with bracket

Ballast mounted on brace

HID wires coming out of headlight

Lights ON...

#15 ·
2 weeks later the relay took a crap so told the company and they gave me a full refund for the whole kit and replaced it with a relay i had and still running with no issues

Next project is some LED strips i bought and plan to put them around the mirrors and have them as a turn signal like the older silverados

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.