Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

P0014 Check engine error code

116K views 49 replies 22 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 · (Edited)
First post on these forums.:)

Ok so I just got this 2009 Chevy Malibu friday...There are a few issues that I have..But the check engine is by far the most troubling..If anyone has any in sight into what this could be would be appreciated.. THe other problem is my turn signal sometimes sticks...lol

Edit: I have around 39k miles and the oil life is at 24%..

#4 ·
Turn signal sticking could be just that someone spilled some drink and it has since dried, gumming up the works. If that's the cause you'll need to clean it somehow. You might be able to find something that'll spray inside the switch. Otherwise you'll have to disassemble it or even replace it.

I wish I could help with your MIL issue. But at least Silver gave you a place to start.

#5 ·
Like the turn signal won't cancel after a turn or the turn signal stalk switch won't move?

P0014-Exhaust Camshaft Position (CMP) System Performance
This actuator controls the advance or retard of each camshaft, in this case the exhaust. After looking through the diagnostic chart on GM's site I would have to say it would be something for the dealer to handle. It may be covered under powertrain 5yr/100K. There is a couple of bulletins that go with that code that may apply, but that is up to the dealer. I can't post those though, sorry.

#8 ·
Ok first things first..Thanks for all the quick replys and the information...Now the turn signal sticks after turning...secondly meaning I bought the car used will the dealers 5yr/100k warranty still cover it?? I thought that was for the original owners only and after you sold it that would be null and void...

#9 ·
5/100 is a manufacturer's warranty, not the dealer's, so you're good.

#10 ·
If it is after you make the turn and the wheel is straight, but the signal is still going it is most likely the turn signal stalk switch on the column. Best way to see if it happens is just start the car turn the signal on, turn the wheel a 1/4" turn either way (unless it only does it one way), then turn it back and see if it cancels. There is a plastic piece on the end of the switch that contacts a piece in the column to turn the signals off. Over time the piece wears down or breaks and won't come in contact with the other piece.

#12 ·
What car do you have? It's not listed in your avatar and you haven't filled out a signature yet.

#21 ·
I just got my car 1/20/12 and the check engine light came up several days later. It kept coming on and going off. Finally had a chance to get it looked at yesterday and it was P0014. Got it fixed under warranty. I did notice some hesitation with the car before it was fixed so hopefully it's gone.

#24 ·
@mmurph, I am so happy to read that your Malibu seems to be running much better after getting the sensor replaced. It is also awesome that this was done at no cost to you.

I hope you are having a great Valentine's Day so far. Please, don't hesitate to contact me in the future with comments, questions and/or concerns.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#25 ·
I too am having this problem. It appears many other people are having this problem as well based on what I have read online on many different forums. My 2009 Malibu has 73,000 miles on it and is still under power train warranty. Here are my codes:

P0014 camshaft position actuator Bank 1 timing over advanced

P0201 Injector cyl. 1

P0301 cyl. 1 misfire

The engine is misfiring. It doesn't happen ALL the time but it happens often, and it is bad when it does. Took it to the dealer and they said all they had to do was run a top end cleaner through it and that will fix it. They said it will cost me $270 and it is NOT covered under warranty. I think that's complete BS. The engine is malfunctioning. It should be fixed under warranty.

Also, I've read accounts from many other people online who were also told the cleaner would fix the problem, and it did not.

#26 · (Edited)
Which engine?

Start with the 201 code. Since the misfiring is intermittent, more often than not, its caused by a bad #1 fuel injector. But it could also be its control circuit (short or open in the wire harness). Did the dealer do any testing of the injector? Injectors are covered under the powertrain warranty. You can try running fuel injector cleaner thru it yourself but I suspect it won't help.

On the 14 code: Very commonly is a bad exhaust camshaft position actuator solenoid valve. Also covered by the PT warranty.

#29 ·
Okay, the bulletin I mentioned in my last post will apply then. Like I said, cleaning the injectors won't fix the P0201 code, keep that in mind. The P0014, most likely will be the cam actuator solenoid, been some issues with those. All of the issues you have may be covered under powertrain coverage.

#39 ·
The '09 algorithm, if not updated to the new version, would take about 8-10,000 miles before reaching 0%. My '09 got to about 65% with 3500 miles.

My '11 gets to 5000 or less when it reaches 0%. I change my synthetic oil based on miles since the last change. As I grow in confidence in the OLM I'll be able to use it as a guide, but ultimately it's up to each owner to decide on the service intervals that make them feel good. After all, that what it all boils down to, isn't it?

#42 · (Edited)
I too just had the P0014-00 code come on yesterday. I took the car into my Chevrolet dealer, and they replaced the camshaft position solenoid valve, right away after looking at it. Problem solved, check engine light out, and covered under the powertrain warranty. Great service, from my great Chevy dealer, Joseph Chevrolet. They always treat me right!:)

#44 ·
First time poster, I apologize for bumping a year old thread!

I've been getting the P0014-00 code on my 2011 2LT 2.4L Malibu with 119k - so I'm out of powertrain warranty.

I've brought it in to a local mechanic (with good online reviews), who said he can find nothing wrong with it, so he cleared the code (it came back 2 days later). His only advice (for $109!) was to change the oil. I still have 23% left, but I like to change it at about 20%. He never mentioned this known solenoid problem.

Firstly: Am I correct in assuming a dealer won't replace this known issue on the solenoid from a "goodwill" account? I know I'm out of powertrain warranty, but it's a known issue, and I have high mileage within 3 years of the car being on the road...

Second: If they are sticklers on the powertrain warranty period (and i expect they would be), then about how much am I looking to spend? It seems like everyone on here got theirs taken care of under warranty, but it looks like I'll be paying out of pocket...

Any advice would be appreciated!

#46 ·
To be honest, the reason I'm avoiding that solution (and it's idiotic, I realize), is because I don't have access to a heated garage until next Friday, and in the meantime my car won't autostart when it's throwing the code and the CEL is on.

I know I could just buck up and change the oil in the freezing outdoors, pay for it to get done professionally, or just deal with not having autostart for a week (most likely option, but it's so cold! I need my autostart! haha), but I just hate for it to be a waste of time of I need to change the solenoid anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.