Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote start

13K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  Doc 
#1 ·
I have 2012 2lt. I found the remote start wouldn't work in the morning and mid-night when temperature is relatively low (I live in Florida, so it is not that cold). When I drive the car for a while and re-do it in the middle of the day, it works again. Is this a setting or there is something wrong? My remote start had issue before (I mean completely failed), dealer found the problem is due to bad shifter (gear shifter), after they changed it, it worked fine until now...

#3 ·
Mine has the same issue, but since I've done some modifications to the car the dealer won't look at it. They say my mods are the issue and wash their hands. BS! But rather than fire another salvo in that war I'm just gonna install an aftermarket 2-way remote and be done with it.

#10 ·
What mod does your dealer claim caused the remot start to not work? This would be very interesting.

I recently did the same thing and put a 2way aftermarket starter in and I couldn't be happier. The wife is also very happy now that the car will start from more than 20ft away! Also don't have to worry about the crappy chevy key fobs anymore. Solved a bunch of problems with a couple hours of work. I've put in a couple handfuls of starters over the years and these cars are the easiest I ever have done. Now have a mile range and the remote tells me if doors are locked/unlocked and if the engine is running, and temp of car and battery voltage, and many other things.

#7 ·
Hope you're still under B2B.

I would describe the oem remote start as a very delicate flower. A lot more than a dozen conditions have to be precisely met for it to bloom. Troubleshooting & repair of that system is not DIY friendly. You really need a dealer's help. Of course, if the problem is intermittent (as it almost always is), the dealer service adviser may just pat you on the head & shoo you out the door. If you're lucky enough to get a mechanic that's really on the ball, he might fix it on the first round. The nice thing about an aftermarket remote start is that you can eliminate a lot of the sillier conditions that must be met before the flower opens & the engine just starts.

If they wanted to create a complex system that would drive traffic to a dealer they could not of done much better than that oem remote start system.

#11 ·
I've tapped into the BCM fuse panel with Add-A-Circuits (plural) to have the car do what I want. Mods include:

* Express modules for the other 3 windows
* One wipe after washing WS
* DRLs converted to use turn filaments instead of low beams
* Sensing of lock/unlock signal to operate express windows (close @ lock, open @ unlock)
* Sensing of Courtesy lights, ACC, RUN, and OFF to keep 2 different 12V outlets live for satellite receiver and GPS

Since there are quite a few wires running around the BCM they got scared and declined to do anything. That's fine. Lesson learned. Future mods will not be visible and I'll eventually move the ones that are there to somewhere else.

#12 ·
Keep us posted on how things go when you mention the remote start concern to your dealership at your next visit, cdliao. If you want for us to check into anything, we're available if you were to send us a private message on the forum or an email (include your name, the last 8 digits of your VIN, and a summary of the situation with your inquiry).
Sarah (Assisting Michelle), Chevrolet Customer Service

#13 ·
Just bought my 2012 LTZ the other day and having an issue w the remote start. As you stated, it works when it wants to. Took to the dealer where my buddy works and has a BCM code for B2705 symptom 05. It's an issue in the shifter solenoid circuit. I haven't had a chance to drop it off yet and have him diag it, still under BTB warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.