Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeegee-like squeaky sound from steering in tight turns.

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  sk-89 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I get a squeaky, squeegee-like noise from the steering wheel/column when I crank it far for tight turns and again when I let it re-center itself. My dad hasn't had time to check it out yet and I was wondering if it could simply need steering fluid. It's a little bit low, but not dramatically so.

The sound is similar to something that needs to be lubricated better. The steering is not working poorly in any way, I've just been noticing the sound become more frequent over the last 10k miles.

#2 ·
I have a 2008 Malibu 2008. I too am hearing a "squeaky/squeegee/ruber" like sound from the front suspension. However, it appears to only make the sound when 1) turn steering wheel to limits on left or right, and only briefly do I hear the noise, and 2) (and this is where i hear the noise(s) most) -- driving down the street, under 10 - 20 miles per hour, and/or coming to a stop. Start up again and I hear the noise.

With some testing, it appears the noise happens when the front end moves up, not down (tested by holding foot on brake, in reverse, accelerate enough to slight move car up.

I will take it into the dealer, but I am guessing it is some type of suspension rubber bushing type issue rubbing against metal and rubber is worn (car as ~45K miles).

Any ideas?

#3 ·
We may be experiencing different issues, the sound I hear is definitely coming from the steering wheel or column and only happens while the steering wheel is rotating.

You may be dealing with a failing strut, I don't know much about suspension hardware though.

#4 ·
I had this problem and it was a bad seal in the system. They replaced it and flushed out the fluid. Not a problem since.

#6 ·
I'm assuming you're talking to me about the steering wheel squeak, and that would be bad news, because I'm out of warranty and that's probably filed under "unnecessary repair" for my dad, who is a busy GM tech that does my labor at no charge.

#7 ·
I will be taking it to the dealer in a few weeks, during some much needed time off from work. I have the extended warranty on the car, with the $100 deductible, so I am not sure if it will be covered or not. I have a few other things to get done anyway and will have them check this issue out. I will post back to this thread after I get the car checked out. -1bird2

#9 · (Edited)
Had this same squeegee issue and took to dealer for inspection. The issue for me is a leak in the seal on the steering rack and to fix issue it will cost $1071 (I'm am just out of warranty). The technician advised against doing anything and to just get used to the noise/feedback in the steering wheel since it's not worth the money to fix and won't do any physical damage. I don't understand why the seal cannot just be replaced individually but I guess that happens with modern cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.